• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlamedCat

BlamedCat trains on Mt. Kolts

Week 2 Day 2

Mission 1 & Life Goal: Master's Daily Chores:

Shoulder: 1 of 2 this morning (started off the day with more time management) 

Bible: 2 Chronicles 14 - This was about a good king in Juda named Asa.  He started out really well, cleaned up the nation from it's idolatrous ways.  God granted the nation of Juda peace for many years because of their faithfulness and such, but then invaders came and tried to wipe them out.  Asa prayed something that really stuck out to me this morning "Lord, there is no one besides You to help the mighty and those without strength. Help us, Lord our God, for we depend on You., and in Your name we have come against this multitude. Lord, You are our God, Do not let a mere mortal hinder You."  God answered his prayer and routed the enemies and preserved the nation of Judah.  This just served as a reminder that even though I'm getting stronger and healthier, I still owe it all to God.  He has given me this strength and even my very breath.  I'm thankful for everyday He has let me continue to be here learning, growing, encouraging, and being encouraged in this community :)

Sleep:  Not sure, wife works tonight, I should be able to will myself to sleep earlier than Sunday night.  She doesn't go in till midnight, so I should be asleep by then lol.

Mission 2: Master's Movement 'Suggestions':

Exercise Grab Bag: I'm going to walk at lunch (weather is awesome) and I've attempted a peculiar mini-challenge for myself today.  I remember, back when the office had many more employees, that the sales team (for only a week), took to doing ten push-ups for every call they fielded.  I'm not doing pushups, but I have started with squats, so we'll see how many I do today.  Yesterday I had 16 calls, so we'll see...  I'll grab a post after this one and update it throughout the day, so check back in and see how many I've done!

Mission 3: Cooking for the Master:
Cooking: Still haven't given it much thought.  
Edited by BlamedCat

Week 2 Day 2

Prisoner Squats

Sets (attempting 10 per call)

Might have to do them in bunches when I can get away from my desk):

20, 30, 10, 20, 30, 30 

FINISHED!!

Sorry I didn't update this after work, I didn't really touch the computer till it was time for bed and it TOTALLY skipped my mind, but I did split up that last 60, did 30 by my car before going home and then the other 30 before doing my final rehab for the day.

140 squats for the day :D

Edited by BlamedCat

I hate coming home with a headache; sometimes activity helps; sometimes it makes it worse - and of course there's no telling which it is.  It looks like you fielded everything pretty well though. 

Hey! Sorry it took me so long to come find you, but I'm all caught up now!

The food talk in your thread right now is all kinds of fabulous ( You KNOW that's just my scene!) I love that your goal is not just about cooking healthier meals, but getting your family to appreciate healthier options - it sounds like it's been going well so far. I was the biggest potato junkie for as long as I can remember - while I still enjoy them occasionally, I've learned to enjoy other root veggie options - most of which are much more flavourful. I find sweet potatoes a little too sweet for my taste, but give me some buttery rutabaga and I'm a happy girl.

If you're still looking for meal ideas, I had some great success the other night - I wanted tortilla soup, but without the tortilla, so I fried up some peppers, onions and garlic and spices (cumin, chili powder etc), added a box of chicken broth, a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. Let it cook until the veggies were nice and soft, and then blended the crap out of it. Shredded up some leftover rotisserie chicken and tossed that in along with a handful of cilantro, and then served it with diced avocado, green onion and a drizzle of sour cream. It's so much heartier than most soups, so it really filled us up.

So cute about your son going after your impromptu dinner! And I'm so proud of you for resisting that BLT... it really wasn't that long ago that you would have just eaten it, and dealt with the consequences later. Refusing to be fatalistic about your food choices is a huge step. There is always another option! But it helps if you're prepared...

The whole deal with the website for that game is likewise awesome.. Way to take initiative!

And now, even though this was a week ago, I have to comment on this:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was seriously considering sitting this challenge out.  Mentally, I was in a funk (and still am in some ways), and wanted to just sit it out and recoup.  Though the more I talked about it with people on NF, the more that just felt wrong.  Not to say that sitting a challenge out is a bad thing, far from it, but sitting it out because you're in a funk isn't the right reason.  That's like a depressed person isolating themselves because they don't want to hang out with anyone, it's a vicious cycle.

So that's why I came up with this theme here, I felt beaten down physically, mentally, and spiritually... just worn out and lethargic, even though I had some great losses last challenge, the injury has taken a lot of steam out of me.  It's a small thing that affects SO MUCH...   I picked this theme because it reminded me of all those martial arts movies where the n00b wants to be trained by a master and the master mops the floor with him to show him just how far he's got to go.  It's that point where character is defined, when you find yourself face down in the dirt.  What should you do?  Do you choose to get up, or do you decide to stay down and quit?

I'm not going to quit.

Wow. Just wow. It seems those Wisdom level-ups are really starting to add up. I'm really glad for you that you decided to join this challenge (what a hypocrite I am!) and I think it will do you loads of good in terms of getting through your injury recovery process. As always, I'm here for all the cheerleading/cattle prodding you need - but really, I think you've got this... what a beautiful shift in attitude. You are an inspiration, my friend.

• Like 1

I hate coming home with a headache; sometimes activity helps; sometimes it makes it worse - and of course there's no telling which it is.  It looks like you fielded everything pretty well though. 

Yeah, though I honestly think that unexpectedly having my wife at home was a HUGE help in getting past the headache. :)

Looking back on it, I agree :)  I'm impressed with what I did manage, not to mention, making memories with the family is always a plus.

That chicken looks delicious and bacon isn't the answer, bacon is the question and the answer is always yes! Can't wait to see more amazing things you have cooked for The Master

• Like 1

Hey! Sorry it took me so long to come find you, but I'm all caught up now!

The food talk in your thread right now is all kinds of fabulous ( You KNOW that's just my scene!) I love that your goal is not just about cooking healthier meals, but getting your family to appreciate healthier options - it sounds like it's been going well so far. I was the biggest potato junkie for as long as I can remember - while I still enjoy them occasionally, I've learned to enjoy other root veggie options - most of which are much more flavourful. I find sweet potatoes a little too sweet for my taste, but give me some buttery rutabaga and I'm a happy girl.

If you're still looking for meal ideas, I had some great success the other night - I wanted tortilla soup, but without the tortilla, so I fried up some peppers, onions and garlic and spices (cumin, chili powder etc), added a box of chicken broth, a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. Let it cook until the veggies were nice and soft, and then blended the crap out of it. Shredded up some leftover rotisserie chicken and tossed that in along with a handful of cilantro, and then served it with diced avocado, green onion and a drizzle of sour cream. It's so much heartier than most soups, so it really filled us up.

So cute about your son going after your impromptu dinner! And I'm so proud of you for resisting that BLT... it really wasn't that long ago that you would have just eaten it, and dealt with the consequences later. Refusing to be fatalistic about your food choices is a huge step. There is always another option! But it helps if you're prepared...

The whole deal with the website for that game is likewise awesome.. Way to take initiative!

And now, even though this was a week ago, I have to comment on this:

Wow. Just wow. It seems those Wisdom level-ups are really starting to add up. I'm really glad for you that you decided to join this challenge (what a hypocrite I am!) and I think it will do you loads of good in terms of getting through your injury recovery process. As always, I'm here for all the cheerleading/cattle prodding you need - but really, I think you've got this... what a beautiful shift in attitude. You are an inspiration, my friend.

That's okay, you've been super busy with your business and all :)  I knew you'd hunt me down eventually.

Can you pass along a  rutabaga recipe or two, so I can give that a shot with the family?  I myself haven't eaten rutabaga that I know of, so this could be pretty neat.

Oooooh <drools> I love me some delicious spicy food like that, THANK YOU for the recipe.  Though, you know my struggle with the family... they're all bland people, minus the love for mild hot-sauce... so... how spicy was it for you?  Could I serve that to a family full of "weaklings"? lol

LOL yeah he's a cutie, I should have taken a pic and posted it lol.

Indeed, I'm still taking hits along the way, but not as many now, so that's good.  I even forced myself to stop and make some eggs for breakfast so i didn't snack on something at work that would have been bad today. 

Thanks on the website, it's coming along pretty good.  I just gotta remind myself I have full reign on this now that they've tossed me the graphics, no pestering people for ideas, just go full-throttle and do what I see it should be, which is liberating and challenging.

As for my full-disclosure post... yeah I... I'm glad I can be an inspiration, I still get misty-eyed when I think of the emotion I put into that post.  You're not a hypocrite, you're still here, just don't let your guard down while you're on your own, my friend.  Oh I still need the prodding, everyone else here can attest to that!  Keep on coming by and participating when you can. :)

That chicken looks delicious and bacon isn't the answer, bacon is the question and the answer is always yes! Can't wait to see more amazing things you have cooked for The Master

Yes, bacon IS the answer, I need more bacon in my life.  I read once about using muffin tins to make bacon cups, not sure how well that would work.... but it would be tasty :D

• Like 1

We all need a Bacon of Hope |-.-|. I know it is supposed to be "Beacon" but that way Hope gets tastier. 

Oh I like Bacon of Hope better anyway.

I joked about having a Minotaur one time that the special ability "Sense Bacon".

Oooooh <drools> I love me some delicious spicy food like that, THANK YOU for the recipe.  Though, you know my struggle with the family... they're all bland people, minus the love for mild hot-sauce... so... how spicy was it for you?  Could I serve that to a family full of "weaklings"? lol

It actually wasn't very spicy at all, I just used bell peppers - I'm sure you could just add some hot sauce or extra chili powder or whatever to your own bowl before you eat it. The hubs is not a big spicy food fan, and he devoured this stuff.

Also, I couldn't help but google this:

baconofhope.jpg

• Like 2

It actually wasn't very spicy at all, I just used bell peppers - I'm sure you could just add some hot sauce or extra chili powder or whatever to your own bowl before you eat it. The hubs is not a big spicy food fan, and he devoured this stuff.

Also, I couldn't help but google this:

baconofhope.jpg

Best....leader....ever.....I'd totally vote for Bacon of Hope!

lol you gals are awesome.  Yeah, I'd vote for Bacon of Hope, but I'm afraid I'd be guilty of assassination cause I wouldn't stop at voting, I'd have to get me a taste :)

Week 2 Day 2 Recap

Shoulder: 2 rehabs in, yay!

Bible: 2 Chronicles 14

Sleep:  6 hours.

Exercise Grab Bag: Lunch wak + prisoner squats in batches throughout the day (total of 140)

Cooking: Still haven't given it much thought.  
================
I had a half-day at work and took my sis-n-law to her driving test in the afternoon.  Turns out she failed the test again... at least she got parallel parking down, but she just needs to work on her observation skills.  Which also means she needs to drive more... moving on to the recap!
Week 2 Day 3 Recap

Shoulder:  2 of 2, I can feel these exercises getting easier, and my shoulder feeling more solid when I pick up my son, so it's certainly working!

Bible:  2 Chronicles 15 & 16 - More about King Asa.  He was a godly king, but even though his heart was focused on God, he tried to do things on his own later in life after a lifetime of serving God.  That didn't bode well for him or the nation, but he was too prideful in his own self to see God's loving correction before his eyes.  Instead of admitting he had done wrong and turning away from that, he stayed stubborn and died.  This just serves as a reminder that we always have two choices in life, ours or God's.  When we've done wrong, we should be humble enough to admit it and turn away from the mess we've made to do the right thing.

Sleep: Heading to bed soon, so I should get 6 hours.

Exercise Grab Bag: Didn't do anything today, though i can feel DOMS setting in on my legs from the squats haha.  I hope tomorrows forecast for rain allows for a gap during lunch so I can get a walk in.

Cooking: With all this talk of bacon, i need to come up with a bacon themed meal, that's healthy but has bacon in it.  I've got two days to figure something out before the weekend hits... Anyone got some suggestions?  It is suppose to drop down in temp this weekend pretty harsh so I think anything is game, food wise.
  • Like 1

I don't know about your household, but a favorite around here is the chicken blt salad. It's exactly what it sounds like... With some cheddar cheese, and usually spinach to get a good dark leafy green in there. I make homemade honey mustard dressing to go with it, which consists of honey, mustard, and dill. So good!

Hmmm... I put bacon in a lot of things as an accent. Pretty much anywhere you have a green vegetable (cabbage/kale/bacon/brussels/spinach) or a fall fruit (pear/apple) or fennel ... I slip some bacon in with all those things. Ooh, and in a hash. 

Since it's cold and my body wants to crawl into a potato all winter, I'm probably going to break out a hash for dinner tonight. I have sweet potatoes on hand, which will be fantastic - but it would be even better if I had some parsnips and carrot, too. Ooh.. that would be fantastic. A parsnip/carrot/sweet potato hash with bacon, fresh thyme, onion or shallots, garlic, and celery - topped with a fried egg. 

Thanks for the bacon prompt - now I know what I'm making for dinner! :) 

• Like 2

Mmm DF that sounds wonderful, I may have to follow suit! I love what a ridiculous amount of meals can be made complete by topping it with an egg :)

I don't know about your household, but a favorite around here is the chicken blt salad. It's exactly what it sounds like... With some cheddar cheese, and usually spinach to get a good dark leafy green in there. I make homemade honey mustard dressing to go with it, which consists of honey, mustard, and dill. So good!

Though a good BLT salad would be nice too... but I think since the 2yr old has issues eating salad, I'll have to steer away from that for now.

How does one unsuccessfully make a hash? 

Here are a few hashes from my archives. 

I always grate or petite dice (under 1/4 inch) my potatoes/roots/starch component and cook in a few Tablespoons of oil over medium/medium-high. The key is to have the heat high enough that the outsides brown the insides cook - without having the heat so low that the potatoes suck up all the grease. Some people parboil potatoes; but I have zero patience for that. So, I grate or dice - usually grate. 

How does one unsuccessfully make a hash? 

Here are a few hashes from my archives. 

I always grate or petite dice (under 1/4 inch) my potatoes/roots/starch component and cook in a few Tablespoons of oil over medium/medium-high. The key is to have the heat high enough that the outsides brown the insides cook - without having the heat so low that the potatoes suck up all the grease. Some people parboil potatoes; but I have zero patience for that. So, I grate or dice - usually grate. 

You just answered your own question.. not high enough heat :P

and thank you for your delicious archives :D

Week 2 Day 4 Recap

Shoulder: 2 rehabs in, yay!

Bible: 2 Chronicles 17 - Read about King Asa's son, Jehoshaphat (say that 3x fast).  The chapter was over how he 'walked in the ways of David' his forefather and cleaned up the nation of all it's idol worship.  Subsequently, the nation was blessed for their efforts and prospered greatly.

Sleep:  6 and some change

Exercise Grab Bag: Got in a muggy walk yesterday about 1.4 miles.

Cooking: Still no plans yet.  Hash sounds good...

================

Week 2 Day 5 Check-in

Shoulder:  1 of 2 so far

Bible:  2 Chronicles 18 & 19  - Anyone who thinks the Bible doesn't contain sarcasm from time to time, needs to read this passage. The prophet Micaiah and the king of Israel seem to have an interesting relationship there in chapter 18.  Again, I'm seeing Asa's son determining to follow God, but still making poor decisions from time to time.  Like this alliance with the evil king of Israel at the time.  Both Asa and Jehoshaphat followed God.  Both of them did something that they thought was right, but didn't consult God on it first.  Both of them were rebuked by a prophet for their actions.  Asa grew prideful and didn't accept the rebuke. Jehoshaphat accepted the rebuke and set to do what was right and inform his people of the same with reforms, etc.

Sleep: Probably 7 hours (gonna be busy tomorrow morning getting oil changes for both cars, but not too busy)

Exercise Grab Bag: The cold front hit last night, so I might not be able to do a walk today.  I have taken another mini-challenge to myself to test my shoulder and have been doing 10 high-wall push-ups for every call I've received.  Batches so far were 20-10-30.  I've been taking my time with each one, keeping them slow and watching my movements.

Cooking: Since the cold front came in, soup or something hot sounds good for dinner this weekend.  I need to pick my wife's brain on what the family has been craving and go from there.
Edited by BlamedCat