• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlamedCat

BlamedCat trains on Mt. Kolts

whoo hoo on racking up your rehab exercises yesterday - keep that going today, and you have a veritable streak! 

And tonight if it's too cold, you could always add lunges or squats to your high wall pushups ... Or even jumping jacks & planks if your shoulder is doing that well :) 

We have a dinner at church for Sunday night, (Thanksgiving :soup and sandwiches)  I am thinking of a ground beef/cabbage concoction.

Oh very cool.  I'd love to hear the recipe (though no one in the family cares for cabbage really).

whoo hoo on racking up your rehab exercises yesterday - keep that going today, and you have a veritable streak! 

And tonight if it's too cold, you could always add lunges or squats to your high wall pushups ... Or even jumping jacks & planks if your shoulder is doing that well :)

I'm getting there! :D

Yeah, we shall see how it goes.  Tonight is the Hunger Games release and my wife is taking her sister out (who's bday is today) to see the movie, etc.  Not sure what else is going on tonight, but yeah, what I really need to do is some core work.  I'm still excited that I'm able to actually do wall pushups now.  Though my shoulder can't support my weight sustained (learned that the other night laying on the floor propping myself up to play a game with the family).  Slow and steady, I'll get there by the end of this challenge, then it's GAME ON!

http://itspaleo.com/recipe/free-recipe/soup/beef--cabbage-soup-/408/index.html

Here is the soup I am making this weekend.  May add or subtract certain ingredients.  (Not big on collard greens)

Thanks for sharing the soup! :)

Doing good, BC!  Slow and steady improvement is the goal.  Great job on getting your rehabs in!

Thanks, EC!  Yeah, trying to keep the progress coming but not jump ahead too fast. :)

Glad you're shoulder is doing so well. 

So am I :D  No more scares, no more sharp pains, all that is past me (yay!)

Week 2 Day 5 Recap

Mission 1 & Life Goal: Master's Daily Chores:

Shoulder:  2 of 2 (streak continues!)

Bible:  2 Chronicles 18 & 19  - Anyone who thinks the Bible doesn't contain sarcasm from time to time, needs to read this passage. The prophet Micaiah and the king of Israel seem to have an interesting relationship there in chapter 18.  Again, I'm seeing Asa's son determining to follow God, but still making poor decisions from time to time.  Like this alliance with the evil king of Israel at the time.  Both Asa and Jehoshaphat followed God.  Both of them did something that they thought was right, but didn't consult God on it first.  Both of them were rebuked by a prophet for their actions.  Asa grew prideful and didn't accept the rebuke. Jehoshaphat accepted the rebuke and set to do what was right and inform his people of the same with reforms, etc.

Sleep: Probably 6 hours  (brain is dead-set on waking me up in 6 hours)

Mission 2: Master's Movement 'Suggestions':

Exercise Grab Bag: Did 60 wall-pushups, but didn't end up doing anything else last night.  :/

Mission 3: Cooking for the Master:
Cooking: I'm going to make my dad's chilli today.  I can't wait!  Though I think I'm going to add to it and puree some veggies and pour that into the chili for added veggie awesomeness.

=====================

On another note, the spoof website is coming along very well.  I'm excited how it's all coming together and some of the feedback I've received from friends and co-workers I've shown it too.

On even another note, I setup my first demo event for Plaid Hat Games at my local comic store.  It's set for December 7th from noon - 4.  In addition to that, this week, I received my first boone for being a demoer.  PHG sent me the new Mice and Mystics expansion in the mail :)  It looks sweet, now I just need to get the base game (which my wife is dead-set on spending her bonus money for hehe).

Here's my dad's chili recipes.  I wonder what I can use to sub for the brown sugar (not that it's a deal breaker if I can't)  I'm also added some 88% dark chocolate I have on hand instead of milk chocolate.  I'll be going for the "small batch" I believe.

CHILI

SMALL BATCH

3 lbs beef (roast)

Small amount of oil (olive oil, canola, etc.)

3 Tbsp chili powder

1 Tbsp ground cumin

1 Tbsp oregano

¾ tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)

2 tsp salt

1 can (14 oz total) low sodium beef stock

6 oz. tomato paste

1 can (10 oz.) Ro-Tel mild diced tomatoes

1 large sweet onion (1015 or similar), chopped fine

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1 small piece milk chocolate (miniature candy bar or similar)

LARGE BATCH

7 lbs beef (stew beef or roast, diced small)

9 Tbsp chili powder

3 Tbsp ground cumin

3 Tbsp oregano

2 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)

3 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)

3 tsp salt

1 can + 8oz if needed (24 oz total) low sodium beef stock

1 small cans (6 oz. total) tomato paste

2 cans (20 oz.) Ro-Tel mild diced tomatoes

2 large sweet onions (1015 or similar), chopped fine

3 Tbsp brown sugar

3 small pieces milk chocolate (miniature candy bars or similar)

The night before:

• Tenderize meat with mallet before cubing.

• Cut the beef into bite-sized pieces.

• Mix dry spices together, rub on the diced beef, put in fridge overnight.

Chili Day:

• Heat the oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, add the garlic.

• Brown the beef in the oil, then add the onions and cook until they’re tender.

• If using a crock pot, transfer everything to it now.

• Add the beef stock (use some to deglaze the skillet).

• Add the tomato paste and Ro-Tel tomatoes.

• Add the brown sugar and the chocolate last.

• If chili is too hot, add more chocolate or brown sugar to counteract the heat.

• Cook for a few hours, overnight or all day on low heat (crockpot) is better.

GROUND BEEF CHILI

LARGE BATCH

8 lbs ground beef (80% - 20%)

9 Tbsp chili powder

3 Tbsp ground cumin

3 Tbsp oregano

2 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more, to taste)

3 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)

3 tsp salt

1 can + 8oz if needed (24 oz total) low sodium beef stock

1 small cans (6 oz. total) tomato paste

2 cans (20 oz.) Ro-Tel mild diced tomatoes

2 large sweet onions (1015 or similar), chopped fine

3 Tbsp brown sugar

3 small pieces milk chocolate (miniature candy bars or similar)

• Heat a little oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven.

• Brown the beef in the oil.

• Add the onions and cook them.

• Add the spices and simmer a few minutes.

• If using a crock pot, transfer everything to it now.

• Add the beef stock (use some to deglaze the skillet).

• Add the tomato paste and Ro-Tel tomatoes.

• Add the brown sugar and the chocolate last (after cooking a while).

• If chili is too hot, add more chocolate or brown sugar to counteract the heat.

• Cook at least 1/2 hour; overnight is better.

• Like 2

Those chili recipes look awesome.

If you need something sweet to act as a replacement for sugar, my go-to lately has been stevia. Powdered or as an extract, it's pretty super-effective. I don't even miss sugar anymore ever since I put that stuff in.

• Like 2

Keep on moving man! You're sticking to your goal of reading the Bible, and despite my beliefs I find this very inspiring! I've always viewed the Bible as the highest of moral guidelines you could ever read and after reading your topic I think...no, I know I need to pick one up again and read it.

The name Jehoshaphat always makes me laugh! :tongue: Thanks for letting us know about that passage dude!

Lol yeah, Jehoshaphat was phat before phat was a thing! lol.  You're welcome ;)  I'm learning a lot going through Israel/Juda's history.

Those chili recipes look awesome.

If you need something sweet to act as a replacement for sugar, my go-to lately has been stevia. Powdered or as an extract, it's pretty super-effective. I don't even miss sugar anymore ever since I put that stuff in.

Thanks!  Ooh good idea, yeah, turned out I didn't need them afterall :)

Keep on moving man! You're sticking to your goal of reading the Bible, and despite my beliefs I find this very inspiring! I've always viewed the Bible as the highest of moral guidelines you could ever read and after reading your topic I think...no, I know I need to pick one up again and read it.

Thanks, man.  I'm glad I can share the inspiration! :D  

Yum chili.  Very close to the chili I make except no sugars for mine :)

Coolness :)

============

Chili-update

============

So here's what I ended up doing, mainly because I didn't have all the quantities on hand.

4 lbs ground beef (wagu organic)

9 Tbsp chili powder

2 Tbsp ground cumin

2 Tbsp oregano

2 tsp cayenne pepper

3 tsp sea salt & garlic butter mix (the it's all powder but very tasty)

24 oz beef stock

1 can Huntz diced tomatoes and herbs (didn't have paste, so made due with this)

2 cans (20 oz.) Ro-Tel diced tomatoes (one original & one chili)

1 very large yellow onion,chopped

2 small pieces dark chocolate 88% caco

1 cup carrots (finely chopped)

1 bag red beans

4 stalks of celery (finely chopped)

Everyone seemed to like it, even those with "weak" senses for heat ;)  I've got plenty of leftovers for it too, so I'm happy :)

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 6&7 Recap

Shoulder:  0/1 (not sure why I completely flopped this weekend :(  Starting the streak back over today.)

Bible:  2 Chronicles 20 (I started to read on saturday night, fell asleep, so I finished it sunday heh)

Sleep: 6/7

Exercise Grab Bag: Nothing over the weekend.

Cooking: Cooked chilli with veggies worked in, it was great and everyone liked it. :)  I made too much though, so Have a lot of leftovers in the freezer (oh darn) ;)

Week 3 Day 1 in progress

Shoulder:  0 (not sure why I completely flopped this weekend  :(  Starting the streak back over today.)

Bible:  2 Chronicles 21 - 24 - The next kings were rather interesting, some really bad dudes in there.  In regards to the first king I ran across in my reading today, Jehoram, he was so evil the Bible records "Jehoram was 32 years old when he became king; he reigned eight years in Jerusalem.  He died to no one's regret and was buried in the city of David but not in the tombs of the kings."  That whole part about dying to no one's regret, that's striking.  That just goes to show you that you leave a legacy one way or another in this world.  On a side note, that's one thing I do really appreciate about the Bible, it's not all roses and sunshine, there's plenty of warts to read through.  It doesn't try to cover up history, rather it lays it out there and to me that makes it all the more credible.

Sleep: I got 5hr 50min of sleep this morning because I had to get up earlier than normal.  I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow as well, so maybe I can plan ahead and get a little more sleep.

Exercise Grab Bag: it's in the 30's today, so I don't think I'll be going for a walk, but you never know, might let the bug get me.

Cooking: I think there's gonna be plenty of leftovers from Friday (that's when we're having thanksgiving) even if we are inviting a few extra people over to join our family for food.
Edited by BlamedCat

Ahem. Shoulder. How are you ever going to get back to doing the types of exercises you want to be doing, if you don't finish all your shoulder rehabs? 

Get to it. 

As for the other exercise goal - there are 9999999999 things you can do indoors that would get you moving. Pick one and have at it! Especially since you got zero exercise in over the weekend. Don't use cold and not wanting to do your shoulder stretches as an excuse to fall back into old patterns. Keep going! 

And your chili looks fantastic. I'm doing chili today :) 

• Like 2

Ahem. Shoulder. How are you ever going to get back to doing the types of exercises you want to be doing, if you don't finish all your shoulder rehabs? 

Get to it. 

As for the other exercise goal - there are 9999999999 things you can do indoors that would get you moving. Pick one and have at it! Especially since you got zero exercise in over the weekend. Don't use cold and not wanting to do your shoulder stretches as an excuse to fall back into old patterns. Keep going! 

And your chili looks fantastic. I'm doing chili today :)

Eeep!

I-- I got distracted and was out of the house, I know I know, no excuse... ugh I'm slipping... 

okay okay, I'll do something to keep Thanksgiving week from dragging me to a stand-still.

Yay!

*mom eye* Thanksgiving is 3 days away - that's a long way away. You've got 3 days of workouts before then! :)

Workouts everyday?  Since when did you become drill sergeant DF?  *knows she's right....*

Lol. You know I've got to do it - I won't even let myself slide with excuses :) 

Having said that - I might need to kick my own tail this evening. I'm planning on walking (cold be damned) to see if I can get a roasted duck for Turkey Day - and I know I won't want to do my NF workout when I get home from all that. I'm hoping to make my hubbs spot me in at least the most difficult weightlifting part of the routine; so I'll get something done. 

Lol. You know I've got to do it - I won't even let myself slide with excuses :)

Having said that - I might need to kick my own tail this evening. I'm planning on walking (cold be damned) to see if I can get a roasted duck for Turkey Day - and I know I won't want to do my NF workout when I get home from all that. I'm hoping to make my hubbs spot me in at least the most difficult weightlifting part of the routine; so I'll get something done. 

I know, and despite my verbal jarring, I REALLY appreciate it.  Not only does it show you care, but it's that little extra punch that I need to get through this.

Okay, good luck with that.  Maybe you should do the workout before you go walking?  That way you can avoid injury from that whole cold to warm shift that is bound to happen from a workout after getting back from your walk to get the awesome duck :)

I had thought to do that - but then I'm not going to want to go; and I need to go in case that doesn't end up working out and I end up needing to go buy a duck breast somewhere else on Wednesday. 

Plus, I'd rather go while the sun has just set - instead of waiting an hour and going when it's even colder. For reference, it is 23 degrees out right now. Wednesday will be warmer (high of 57), but raining off and on. We will see how I feel in an hour and a half - maybe duck breast is where it will have to be at this year. I'll see if the hubbs will go with me :)