FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Uncle Iroh's guide to aging gracefully: A Caponerd Challenge!

caponerd48

Aang: So, Toph thinks you give pretty good advice. And great tea.
Uncle Iroh: The key to both is proper aging.

Hello my Monkly friends! I am back after a few challenges off! A lot has happened since then, but the big ones are as follows: I officially survived a year post big breakup, kept my weight at 180 or less (40 pound loss overall!) and turned 28. And so in honor of my favorite Avatar character, this challenge is going to be focused on cultivation of self as I grow older. Iroh is kind of a boss! He cares deeply for others, does whatever makes him happy, and devotes himself to noble pursuits! Definately the kind of guy I want to be. Here is my guide for learning from the Dragon of the West!

1. Food

Iroh loves food! As do I. And of course as we all know nutrition is key in building a healthy lifestyle. Therefore goal one is to cook enough to last me at least 3 meals every week! I've been practicing some basic recipes and should have enough to make a different dish every week. That's optional though, the big goal is to make sure I have leftovers at home as much as possible so I am not tempted to eat something crappy just because I got home hungry. As per my usual, they are going to be paleo/primal and easy to make, as I am still quite the culinary n00b!

2. Recovery

I've been dealing with some chronic back pain for a while, and it is time to take it on again. This time the strategy is as follows: Combination of stretching and this nifty workout I took from Scooby's workshop. (Soothing baths optional, but I'm hoping to include a couple!) Goal here is to be consistent, and do this at least 5 days a week. I really look forward to grinding at this, and seeing what I am capable with the pain better managed!

3. Pull Ups!

Iroh ain't no slouch when it comes to bodyweight workouts! I am actually currently in week 3 of the 20 pull up challenge! I am doing this for two reasons. The first is that I will be doing the Spartan Sprint with my buddies once again this February. Last time I failed pretty epically at the rope climb. But no longer! I'll admit the second one is mostly for vanity's sake. I like the way I'm looking, so I would not mind keeping up the progress! My objective is to get to 20 pull ups by the end of the chalenge, and if I get that far implement them in my morning workouts!

4. Life Goal

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale."

Just as Iroh developed lightning redirection from studying the waterbenders, so I too can learn from other schools. Insecurity has been one of my biggest opponents in many aspects of my life, and that includes as a capoeirista. I have rarely ever trained with other groups, mostly because I have been afraid I was not good enough to represent the school I have come from, not to mention hangups about my own issues of endurance and asthma. But it's time to change that. I have no intention of leaving my academy, I am very attached to both their training philosphy as well as the community I have found there. But as far as my training is concerned... I have hit something of a rut. Ours is a smaller school and there are only two other capoeiristas at my level. We have been training together for years, and I know their jogos back and fourth by now. I need a new challenge, just to rethink what I do, and find something new to try. It's time to visit a different tribe! Objective here is to go to at least one class of at least one other group.

This challenge is mostly a boring one, and I mean that in the best possible way. I have found my best results have always come from slow and consistent changes. Looking forward to another great challenge!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Thanks Kish!

Quick update: For the first week's meal I'm going with variation of Catspaw's 10 minute meals that can be found here. (If you are reading this, CP you are my hero!) I've generally been trying to stick with a fruit, some milk, and coffee for lunch, a salad with some kind of protein for lunch, and one of my leftover meals for dinner. So far, this plan has been going pretty good, with the exception of some temptation at lunch time and social outings. I'm ok with cheating on he weekends as long as it is for only two or three meals max. The other issue is my cafeteria at work during lunch. Now, this is purely a willpower thing because there is always salad fixings available, but every once in a while they cook something special. Some burgers, fried catfish, chile relleno, something that I know is not as healthy but just makes a salad seem so unappealing. I'm not that focused on losing weight this challenge so I am not really penalizing those lapses, but I've got to keep an eye out and make sure to keep them few and far between. A combination of lunchtime lapses and weekend cheating is a recipe for disaster for me so moderation is key!

As for the workouts, core workout is going pretty good. I added leg lifts for a little extra oomf and so far it is helping to reduce the pain. I just really need to drill it into my head that if I don't want to hurt, I have to do this routine! THIS IS A CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP CRIS!!! Pull ups on the other hand are getting harder. I am in the third week of the challenge and I am really struggling on my last reps. To be honest, my last pull up should not have counted, I barely got my head above the bar. Still, I am in no rush. If I have to repeat a week or two, I can still finish by the end of the NF challenge. In fact, I can redo up to three weeks! That gives me a bit of hope. Deadlines add a sense of urgency I find quite beneficial!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

Pull up challenges like that, I've found, are incredibly aggressive. They assume some kind of ridiculous base level of fitness that most people don't have. It's one of the disadvantages of a made-up plan, because you aren't able to do it at your own pace. But on the other hand, they're awesome, because it stokes that competitor's fire underneath you. Either way, I hope you manage to rock it.

I know how you feel, regarding food and such. Sometimes, something comes up as a food that just makes you happier than a salad, and even if it doesn't fit your goals, you still want to eat it. It's difficult. But that's why they call these 'Challenges,' right?

Yo Caponerd! Good to see you starting another challenge!

Oh Iroh is a favorite of mine too! Also he is legit:

iroh_workout.jpg

Bro, do you even convict condition?

So, the 20 pull up challenge? Quite good! I´m planning to do try it the next year. Get a lot of progress with it!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Thanks Spuar! On a side note, I am growing out a beard for the winter so you and I will be vaguely doppelgangerish again!

Zuel: Convict Conditioning? I have heard about it and I am definitely interested but alas, I am cheap. And would rather not illegally download a book I would like to purchase someday. 

(Psst: Es cierto, si hablo Espanol! Soy de la frontera, y fue mi primera idioma. Entre los tres podemos conquistar al mundo!)

Outlaw Monk

My Mighty Quest!

<3 ! :)

Enjoy and lemme know what you tried and liked! :)

Holy crow, it is the lady herself! I have made the egg hash, the muffins, and the omlette so far. I like them all, but you can't beat the muffins for convenience!

Iroh was the BEST character in Avatar. 

Those are some solid and sensible goals.  Looking forward to watching you :-) 

Your life goal of visiting another group is terrifyingly similar to thought processes I've gone through.  I hate to leave my club too.

Hell yeah, another Iroh fan! Glad you can relate. It is really not about wanting to start with another group. I just want to shake things up!

Outlaw Monk

My Mighty Quest!

Holy crow, it is the lady herself! I have made the egg hash, the muffins, and the omlette so far. I like them all, but you can't beat the muffins for convenience!

Hell yeah, another Iroh fan! Glad you can relate. It is really not about wanting to start with another group. I just want to shake things up!

Yep, I poorly worded that. 

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Zuel: Convict Conditioning? I have heard about it and I am definitely interested but alas, I am cheap. And would rather not illegally download a book I would like to purchase someday. 

(Psst: Es cierto, si hablo Espanol! Soy de la frontera, y fue mi primera idioma. Entre los tres podemos conquistar al mundo!)

Oh man, the Iroh parallel would have been cool (for some reason the image didn´t load well at first).

(Interesante, realmente la frontera es bilingue ahora. Juar juar, el foro no sabrá ni que los golpeo :P)

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

Thanks to this challenge, I'm considering watching Buffy and now Avatar... 

I've been told to watch it before, since people producing the series are member of my ninjutsu organization but I guess it takes a friend's challenge to get me to watch it.

Zuel, Caponerd, We should get T-Shirts! 

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Zuel, Caponerd, We should get T-Shirts! 

Yes!!! But what would they say??

Week one Roundup

1. Foodstuffs! Check. Made four delicious meals out of one night's prep. Better than I expected! And now for a new dish...

2. Pull Ups This was pretty good, I made it to the halfway point. I had a hard time with my last few reps this morning, so I will see how I feel about repeating at the end of the week.

3. Recovery I did good! Streteched and planked six days last week, one more than my minimum. I stayed with some friends in Phoenix and felt weird about bustin' out in their living room! Still, feeling some improvement in my back and I am hoping to keep it going.

In Other News...

I had a few reminders this week of why I excluded certain goals for this challenge, namely avoiding a capoeira goal and a weight loss goal. This time of the year is busy for everyone, and I am no exception. I spent this weekend with a friend for a birthday party. He lives in Phoenix and had a goal to hit up 8 breweries in one afternoon/night so needless to say I both missed Saturday morning and had a day of some pretty atrocious eating. Still, I did pretty well during the week and my focus is going to be continuing the trend of eating healthy as a habit and occasionally having cheat days. This is my mission especially going in to Thanksgiving, as I know that night's dinner is going to be inevitably decadent. It is just one night, after all and does not have to lead to a weekend of bad eating. This weekend was a good trial run, as I was able to successfully able to return to dietary discipline once I came back.

• Like 1

Outlaw Monk

My Mighty Quest!

Week one Roundup

1. Foodstuffs! Check. Made four delicious meals out of one night's prep. Better than I expected! And now for a new dish...

2. Pull Ups This was pretty good, I made it to the halfway point. I had a hard time with my last few reps this morning, so I will see how I feel about repeating at the end of the week.

3. Recovery I did good! Streteched and planked six days last week, one more than my minimum. I stayed with some friends in Phoenix and felt weird about bustin' out in their living room! Still, feeling some improvement in my back and I am hoping to keep it going.

In Other News...

I had a few reminders this week of why I excluded certain goals for this challenge, namely avoiding a capoeira goal and a weight loss goal. This time of the year is busy for everyone, and I am no exception. I spent this weekend with a friend for a birthday party. He lives in Phoenix and had a goal to hit up 8 breweries in one afternoon/night so needless to say I both missed Saturday morning and had a day of some pretty atrocious eating. Still, I did pretty well during the week and my focus is going to be continuing the trend of eating healthy as a habit and occasionally having cheat days. This is my mission especially going in to Thanksgiving, as I know that night's dinner is going to be inevitably decadent. It is just one night, after all and does not have to lead to a weekend of bad eating. This weekend was a good trial run, as I was able to successfully able to return to dietary discipline once I came back.

This sounds FUN! :) Mmmmmmmm, November brews.

Aaaahhhhh, the Monday cleanse game. :)

Ha ha ha! Sounds like it was a fun day. I'm glad you didn't end up missing out. And it's good to see you've gotten wiser about your goals, about which battles are worth fighting and which ones need to be optional.

Also, feel you on the benefits of stretching for the back. I woke up this morning from UPS and my back was nothing but a bunch of knots. But after some hard mobility work, I only feel tired instead of beaten. This mobility stuff rocks some serious socks, doesn't it?

In Other News...

Well... something in Spanish, of course. Maybe "Se Habla Español" with a NF logo wearing a sombrero or a poncho! If we're going to be nerds, let's do it looking like a peruvian folk band. 

I think the way you're approaching this time of the year is very appropriate, for once, I'm delaying the eating stuff mayhem as far as I can, but once December kicks in there's going to be an atrocious amount of drinking and eating involved. =(

Current Challenge

Har har! I like the shirt idea XD

Oh yes, that time of the year is so close. I am thinking, preparing and planning. This can be a serious derail if we are not careful. There must be a balance between staying healthy and not missing out all the holiday goodness.

Way to stay in control Caponerd! Keep doing those stretchings!

Hm... two Mexicans and a Venezuelan huh? How about a picture of Simon Bolivar and Miguel Hidalgo training together? I'd buy that!

Kish, that sounds like some rough business. Hope your back feels better!

Well my friends, I had series of fails yesterday. My phone shut off during the night, and thus I had no alarm clock to get me ready for work in time. This set off an unfortunate chain of events. I barely had time to change, liberally apply deoderant and hair product, and get to work before class started. Thus, no morning mobility work. Plus I went in such a hurry I forgot my capoiera bag, so I had to haul ass to get it on my lunch break. But in my haste to pack, I forgot my contacts!

Anyway, I was about to leave work when a student came up to me with some bad news. I mean.... really bad. She felt like she had no one else to talk to, no one that she could rely on to give her advice on the matter. That really helped put things in perspective for me. Reguardless of the day I was having, a couple of inconvenences are not anything like what this girl was going through. And I was once again humbled by the fact that I have the opportunity to work with kids that really need some guidance. I gave the girl what advice I could and referred her to someone that could help her better than I and went on my way.

I got to my capoeira class with new energy, despite my near blindness without my contacts. However, this did inspire a mini goal.

Mini goal 1: Spidey Sense!

I have had awful vision for most of my life and only rarely trained without contacts. But my Contramestra encouraged me to go for it anyway, since I am nearsighted I can still train (mostly) safely. So I decided not only to give it a shot, but to try it out! New goal is as follows: go without contacts for 5 classes! There is one where this is not an option as I will be running it and will need to see in order to correct other folks, but every class I am not teaching I will go in without contacts and let the other senses compensate. Since escape and dodging is crucial in capoeira this will be a mighty challenge indeed, but with great reward! I can use this as an opportunity to really understand my distance and movement in a new way.

Looking forward to the rest of the week. For Science!

Outlaw Monk

My Mighty Quest!

Hm... two Mexicans and a Venezuelan huh? How about a picture of Simon Bolivar and Miguel Hidalgo training together? I'd buy that!

Oh, I would totally buy that too. Also, being a student who asked teacher for advice and being later on a teacher who gave them, I can understand the importance of what you did today, that with making a goal out of an unfortunate event is enough to declare this day a victorious one.

Way to make a good difference, man. That's awesome.

Also, as someone who has to train and fight blind, I can tell you: it's okay. You'll get used to it.

Let's turn it into a Mini-Quest! Hahahaha I can totally see us training like this 

NMuLlsz.gif

Current Challenge

Oh, I would totally buy that too. Also, being a student who asked teacher for advice and being later on a teacher who gave them, I can understand the importance of what you did today, that with making a goal out of an unfortunate event is enough to declare this day a victorious one.

Let's turn it into a Mini-Quest! Hahahaha I can totally see us training like this 

NMuLlsz.gif

L O L

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines