Taciturnip's Temple of the Body: Under Construction

Taciturnip

Sorry I am a bit late... I had my goals ready yesterday and even started on them in the evening, but I forgot to post.

PS: [ I MISSPELLED THE TOPIC >.<] it should say Under construction

My last challenge was focused on building up the temple of self; to bring together all of the elements of a strong temple and allow the body and soul to grow. It was a good start, but I don’t think I finished building. I had the information and goals, a good foundation. However, I ran out of brick and mortar. I ran out of willpower. I was doing ok the first week, but when responsibilities outside of my Main Quest began I didn’t plan out the time to cook ahead and schedule tasks as to ration my willpower.  With a better plan a sturdy and edifying Taciturnip will be complete.

I will probably post the specifics of each goal in a battlelog.

MAIN QUEST= Lose alot of weight, go from 310lblb to250lb

I hope to add to this by building habits, something I failed with last challenge. Though I have a rather lax dietary goal, I still think some of these goals will help

Go to Martial Arts classes: +2 Dex,+2 Sta, +1 Wis

I have had rehearsals for most nights these last three weeks and couldn’t go to many of the classes held at my gym. Now that most of my performances are over, I will have a lot more time to go to the classes. This NF Challenge continues into my winter break. Maybe I can get in touch with my old venue over the break to continue learning with them. There are 2 classes and an open mat day. If I manage to go to all three, I will count it, but I mostly want to get to the 2 main classes when possible.

Grading (average per week): 2 classes=A, 1 Class= C , 0 Classes= F

There are 2 classes and an open mat day. If I manage to go to all three, I will count it, but I mostly want to get to the 2 main classes when possible.

Eat more produce: +2 Sta, +1 Con

Last challenge I tried to stick to the paleo diet. I am positive that it would work for me, but I just don’t know if I can eat so restrictively. With this goal, a want to get more used to eating more fruits and vegetables so that next challenge I might have a taste for paleo foods already and it will be easier to stick with. I want to try to eat at least 4 cups of produce a day. It isn’t much, but many of my meals still don’t include produce even if they aren’t unhealthy in other ways. I probably won’t stop to exactly measure out the produce, but a general estimation would be nice. Like the martial arts goal, If I manage to eat more produce than 4 cups, I will count it.

Grading (average per week): 4 cups= A, 3 cups= B, 2 cups= C, 1 cup= D, 0 cups=F

Progress on the NF Bodyweight exercise circuit: +3 Str, +2Con

This was one part of the last challenge that was very satisfying without taking too much time. I always ended up putting off the routines though. This will be another goal that will benefit from just scheduling the same set days to do the exercises each week.

Grading (average per week): 2 workouts= A, 1 workout=C, 0 workouts=F

Maintain upkeep for the other goals:  +2 Wis

Though this isn’t a completely separate goal from my fitness goals, it still helps to work on time management. I often would run out of foods to make at home and not get groceries for a long time. Not having any convenient healthy food made ordering in much more tempting. If I can schedule when to go shopping each week and when I have to prearrange workouts or cook ahead of time, it might keep my other goals on track. I should at the least try to schedule workout times, times to buy groceries and check for conflicts at least twice during the week (preferably at the beginning and middle of the week.) This hopefully should also keep me consistent in posting my results for the other goals.

2 updates/week-=A, 1 update/week=C 0 updates/week= F

Taciturnip: lvl 3 Gold Dwarf Monk

Str 7 / Dex 2.5 / Sta 4 / Con 6.5 / Wis 5.5 / Cha 4

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

To catch up for yesterday,  (MONDAY, NOVEMBER 11th) I managed to squeeze in all of the goals except my exercise goal. I made a list and bought some groceries before heading to martial arts. I had some some veggies in my dinner and snacked a lot on some fruit instead of whateverelse I would eat late at night. I am blessed/ cursed that one of my roommate's family owns a restaurant and gives us the leftovers. Some of them are more nutritionally sound than others, but he offered me some of his stir fried chicken and vegetables which added a little bit. I hope to have a schedule ready for when to workout by Wednesday's upkeep goal. I will be sure to post it up here.

so for (MONDAY, NOVEMBER 11th)

Workouts=0/1

Produce= 4/4cups

Martial Arts Classes= 1/2

Planning days= 1/2

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

Fix'd the title for you, bro. :)

Also, you don't have to weigh and measure every little thing to get value out of produce. Just the fact that you're eating produce is an improvement. Save the fruit for when you work out, and you should be good.

Rock it out!

Thank you for the fix!!!! I was oblivious for hours about it.

Everything went smoothly today. I made delicious vegetable curry with a friend and we stuffed it with as many produce goodies as we had in the room. I did eat a lot of cranberries, though. I may have to cut those down a bit. Tomorrow morning is when I have the most time to workout. Best to get it out of the way early and feel pumped for the rest of the day.

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

Fix'd the title for you, bro. :)

Also, you don't have to weigh and measure every little thing to get value out of produce. Just the fact that you're eating produce is an improvement. Save the fruit for when you work out, and you should be good.

Rock it out!

I agree with this. I lost 35 lbs just by eating more fruit and veg and cutting out a lot of junk from my diet and I only bothered to start counting calories after I hit my target and had to readjust my diet so that I didn't lose more weight than I wanted to! If you eat good food and exercise regularly, you don't need to be extra strict about the exact quantities you're eating. Just weigh yourself every so often and as long you're getting a bit lighter every week, you know you're doing things right.

Good luck with your challenge!

Thanks y'all, for the good luck!!  Best to you as well!

And Etchi, I am hoping that will work out for me, too. So far I haven't cut junk food out, but the challenge is making me choose what I eat more carefully. I get pretty full on the produce trying to reach my quota.

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

Hey! How are you? How's your challenge going? 

Hello! I am good. My challenge is going well. I have been sure to record in my Battle Log everyday. I keep meaning to post some surmisings after every few days, but I got into the bad habit of just battle logging. I'll add something now!

So far so good. I have made it through each step of each goal ok so far. I think I am going to need to go to 3 martial arts classes to supplement my goal. During exam week and a bit into the break I will be without a martial arts home, so I might want to stock up so to speak. The produce goal is going well. I try to mix up my veggies with some fresh meat. In stir fry I'll throw in mushrooms and green onion. For tacos I use lots of red and yellow peppers and some green onions. I ran out of peppers from all the stir frying stuff, so I couldn't really count a lot of my entree's last week. I ran out of alot of things until I went shopping in the evening. It was fun trying to eat mostly frozen broccoli today, and I found that seasoning the frozen broccoli made it surprisingly palatable. I haven't really seen a change in weight, and I don't know if eating all these veggies will get me to a calorie deficit or anything. Still, it is nice to have that " gastricly balanced feeling" that produce brings- especially cranberries :I . Also, My wal-mart has miraculously began to stock frozen berries and frozen squash!

I am still really sluggish on the body weight circuit. I think I need to just be more intense. This next mini-quest will be a good chance to raise the bar on my solo workouts. Also, the cold showers mini-quest did WONDERS for my mornings. I did my exercises usually before class and then cold showered myself into alertness. I can't take a full shower, but I worked up to getting through it cold while rinsing off and then shampooing. I did so for just a brief moment today. I read some articles, such as the infamous article posted on The Art of Manliness , stating about its immunity and testosterone building aspects. I would like to think it will help me get a little more fortitude, too. I felt like a real monk sitting under a waterfall... I may keep doing cold-ish showers for a while.

• Like 1

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

Here it is.

Planning ahead is one of the best resources in your Productivity Ninja Arsenal, Use it wisely. 

=D

Thank you! This looks like quite a "Step Up " from the beginner workout. I don't know if I can do the one legged exercises yet, but I definitely want to implement the dips and longer planking time.

Just a status update. I am doing ok on the challenge. I trying all these different fruits and veggies is also interesting. I went to planet smoothie and they were serving a new Greek yogurt smoothie. I got a banana rasbeerry smoothie with added spinach. I noticed that their recepie was super simple. They had watered down sweetener, rasberries immersed in some liquid, a banana, a and just took a scoop of Fage brand greek yogurt and some ice. I tried to replicate it at home with, substituting frozen berries for fresh and using water and agave nectar as a sweetener. It turned out pretty nice. I didn't have any spinach, but I was surprised how easy it could be to make a produce filled snack at home.

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

It can be really easy, actually, to put a lot of good things together and just drink it down. Practices like shakes and juicing tend to get a bad rap because of the fact that they get used more as substitutes rather than supplements, but they're actually really cool hacks if you have the tools.

I've been having a home made smoothie for breakfast most weekday mornings for the last few months and not only are they a great way of getting a few of your daily fruit and vegetables into you, but I drink mine whilst walking to work in the mornings so it gives me a bit more time to do things before I leave the house.

Also, in the summer, using frozen spinach and fruit makes a very nice cooling drink; it's not quite so refreshing in the winter though!

The magic of the blender. There are vegetables that add volume and nutrients to shakes and the taste hides well enough to keep enjoying it as a snack. 

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Thanksgiving break is here!!!

I have some nice downtime to relax. I managed to go to a martial arts class on monday and tuesday- monday was very light. I missed a few days of good produce eating just before the holidays, but I don't think that will be a problem over thanksgiving.  There was lots of fresh collard greens to be had. I didn't workout this morning, so I will have to squeeze one in on Friday and on on Sunday. I just wish the break was a little longer! Just as an update for the challenge have net gained weight since the challenge, but I have also lost since I started gaining, if that makes sense. Either way, I have gotten complements from people saying that I look like I have lost weight, so hopefully at least some of this new weight is muscle or something.

PS: to whoever stops by, HAPPY THANKSGIVING and be careful on Black Friday.

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

No update for a while; hows it going? You didn't eat until you burst over the weekend did you? Them turkeys can be dangerous!

Sorry for the absence, and I hope you had a swell Thanksgiving. I didn't bust, but I got pretty darn close >.<! Thanks for asking.

I am doing ok in my goals. This is the week before exam week here on campus, so everyone is getting pretty stressed. I am managing to eat a lot of the same produce- mostly frozen broccoli  that I stocked up on a week ago. Also, my martial arts gym changed their schedule recently. It will definitely give me some options in planning which days to go on and more chances to do both the BJJ class and the kickboxing class. Still, this week and next feels rather busy. I just hope I can keep my energy up through the day in anticipation for the classes at night. Other than the busy-ness everything is peachy.

Also, coincidentally, there is a relaxation Side-quest this week. I am going to check that out...

Current NF Challenge

Battle Log!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines