Physically, Mentally and Digitally Present

Jefro

New Challenge and Re-newed Focus for Jefro.

I still want to look awesome with my shirt off. My first challenge addressed that and the simplicity worked. I have a lot of other, maybe more nobel motivations, but this is the reason to keep working at it every day.

I am lifting weights to burn fat.

Goal 1: Lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday

I get to log this on this thread and feel awesome as I see the numbers get bigger.

I am eating to fuel muscle.

Goal 2: Eat Paleo on a "Holiday Sensitive" schedule.

I have had great success eating paleo and loosing fat. I still have plenty of fat fuel to run the weights that I am capable of lifting at this point. I do eat fruit or sweet potato after workouts for the glycogen. I have scheduled the food cycle so that I don't give myself the option of the "one more day" excuse after Thanksgiving or after Christmas. Those a big family events for me and I am choosing to indulge with my family. I also trust myself more than I used to- I will not make completely stupid food choices, I just won't be intentionally monitoring myself. I think the schedule will make all the difference.

Nov 12-27 - Paleo

Nov 29- Dec 24 - Paleo

I am going to start tracking macros after Christmas and I am hoping my body fat percentage will be around 15%.

Gaining the mental edge

Goal 3: New Software

I have a new side job that will hopefully develop into a full-time gig. I have to work on some new software. I am going to do something toward mastery every night! Reading, small problem, I'm not yet sure exactly what this will look like. I just know that I want to take this on and have to move toward it with the smaller pieces of time in my schedule. 

Another part of being present for this challenge will be posting regularly. I want to have something to talk about every day- so I'm thinking about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

This has really benefited me in the past few months and I am looking forward to MORE!

Ugh last year I did Paleo up until thanksgiving, ate free reign on thanksgiving... and was sick for the next day or two haha. It was a brilliant day though :) I'm doing the same this year. Good luck staying clean! 

Good luck with the job too, can't wait to see some numbers :)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

Hey Jefro!

Looks like a good set of goals that I'm sure you will ace!

Keep up that motivation of yours :)

Level X - Human Ranger

Str: X ~ Dex: X ~ Sta: X ~ Con: X ~ Wis: X ~ Cha: X

Rachy87 - Going to level up my way, watch this space!

Not all who wander are lost 

Today was a weight day with a school trainer. She runs us through mostly machine work so this isn't my usual. At this point I think anything is good. I am still a total novice. This is what I did:

Curls

40x15, 45x11

Pecs

45x15, 50x12

Pull Downs

80x15, 100x12

Assisted Chin-ups

-60x4

Inner Thigh

80x15, 100x12

Tri Pull Downs

50x12, 50x7

Bench

75x15, 85x12

Calf Raises

85x15, 105x12

Hamstring Curls

70x15, 70x11

Quad Extensions

70x12, 90x10

So that was a "full body" workout. It was fast- she worked with 3 of us at the same time (different machines). I prefer the barbell, but I want to learn whatever I can.

I also checked in with the electrical impedance body fat machine- 22.4%. My weight is 182.5 lbs.

I didn't realize how lax I have been with sugar. Yesterday, my first full Paleo day was a battle to avoid cookies. I still love the sugar! I wanted cookies. I ate cookies Monday night- just part of relaxing. So I am retrenching the habit of making smarter food choices. I can do this!

Ugh last year I did Paleo up until thanksgiving, ate free reign on thanksgiving... and was sick for the next day or two haha. It was a brilliant day though :) I'm doing the same this year. Good luck staying clean! 

Good luck with the job too, can't wait to see some numbers :)

Do you have any advice on surviving Thanksgiving? I expect some discomfort especially from the sugar. There will be cinnamon rolls that I won't pass up and also pie. I think everything else will be alright. I just don't want to give myself the option of continuing the feast through the weekend.

I was really tired today. I didn't get any surplus of sleep last week so I am probably dealing with that. I've got to get to bed early tonight.

I am holding to the rails with my nutrition. I found some Macadamia Nut Butter. It's kind of like fudge- very delicious!

Tonight I am starting work on the software project. I have been procrastinating!

Tomorrow I'll have my measurements including weight and some progress pics.

Do you have any advice on surviving Thanksgiving? I expect some discomfort especially from the sugar. There will be cinnamon rolls that I won't pass up and also pie. I think everything else will be alright. I just don't want to give myself the option of continuing the feast through the weekend.

Any advice hmmmmm.. well I'm like you except its pumpkin pie (with cool whip, obv) and cranberry nut bread that i'm not going to pass up. I dont know about you, but we usually have little snacks everywhere, included are random fruits/veggies.. and once the turkey comes out it stays out, so when the desert rolls around, you can still pick at the turkey (if you're like me when it comes to not being able to pass up food). Other than that.. I always make sure I have a drink nearby, tonic water etc. 

Thats also my problem.. we host thanksgiving and try to hand off all the leftovers, but there's always some leftovers that I'll pick at (the non healthy kinds) for the next day or two :( Hand off everything you can if you host it! Hoard the turkey :)

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

Last year, I made a like 90% paleo compliant Thanksgiving dinner, and it was delicious! The 10% was for german chocolate pie, TOTALLY WORTH EVERY BITE!

Great goals... And if you haven't yet, check out the Warriors challenge and sign up! There is a sticky on the main warriors page.

I am holding to the rails with my nutrition. I found some Macadamia Nut Butter. It's kind of like fudge- very delicious!

i may have to try that, i have been only sticking with almond butter!

Race: Peasant

Class: Ranger

Level: 3

STR:2 DEX:3 STA:4 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:1

HavingANickFit tries something new

Fitocracy-HavingANickFit

"it doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you better be running."

I had a surprise invitation to go out for Brazilian Barbeque last night. I'm not passing that up! :pig:  I did make time to lift before eating, but I didn't get to the thread to show off my numbers!

It was a best on bench, squats and dead lift- and it is most days. I want to be more excited about that. 135 lbs. on my bench made me realize that this is a big deal though. I am over feeling weird because I do sets with just the bar, and my working sets are still little plates- I'm doing it! :playful:

Squats

45x5x2

55x5

85x3

115x2

145x5x3

Bench

45x5x2

65x5

90x3

120x2

135x5x3

Dead lift

55x5x2

85x3

95x2

100x2

115x2

145x5x3

I was having trouble adding so I ended up doing a few more warm up sets. :redface-new: I don't mind doing more sets- I had watched a couple of Elliot Hulse videos on dead lifts and was motivated to push it. 

My end of week weight is 178 lbs. I still have to get some measurements taken and do some photoshop work (not re-shaping). 

i may have to try that, i have been only sticking with almond butter!

I was wondering if you track your food NickFit? I would like to see if I am missing anything good (and easy) that you have incorporated in your nutrition. 

Last year, I made a like 90% paleo compliant Thanksgiving dinner, and it was delicious! The 10% was for german chocolate pie, TOTALLY WORTH EVERY BITE!

Great goals... And if you haven't yet, check out the Warriors challenge and sign up! There is a sticky on the main warriors page.

PrinchessHeather- I am excited about enjoying Thanksgiving with a more sane vision of the food this year. I'm going to have to check out the german chocolate pie- sounds AMAZING! Do you use coconut oil in it? I want to make 3 desserts for the feast (that I am not hosting). I am going to simplify- maybe one, two if I am just feeling brilliant. 

nice workout!

i don't really track my food, some of the main things i eat are

seasoned chicken

stir fry onion/pepper with chicken or ground turkey or ground beef

lemon seasoned tilapia

raw cauliflower/brocolli/celery/carrots

almond butter

eggs and bacon or sausage

salmon with veggies on the side from work cafeteria

fruit

not very creative, do you have any good meals?

Fitocracy-HavingANickFit

"it doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you better be running."

My workout yesterday felt really good! The gym was busy, but I didn't have to make do with a machine. 

Squats

45x5x2

60x5

90x3

120x2

150x5x3

Bench

45x5x2

65x5

90x3

120x2

135x5x3

Dead lift

45x5x2

85x3

120x2

150x5

I didn't get into the routine of working on the software after work last week, but this week has gone well so far (Monday). The nutrition is going well. I am in good routine there and now I'm trying to find the best deals on quality meats and veggies. Trader Joe's has been my best overall source, but their grass-fed beef is limited at the store I go to. I heard today, and agree, that it is better to spend extra money on food so you don't have to spend it on medication. I like that perspective!

Nick- I have been working on cooking with the crockpot and the pressure cooker. I don't know how creative it is, but it is more passive than standing over the stove as dinner cooks. I don't have any food options at work except for Subway so I pack my lunch or don't eat. I eat hormone free chicken, wild-caught cod and halibut and grass fed beef either ground or cut up for stew. The veggies at Trader Joe's are great! I get kale, spinach, arugula, brussle sprouts and avocados. I am going to try a persimmon tonight. I eat eggs and salsa for breakfast and usually some spinach. I always have the almond butter around too. Just getting used to going to the grocery store was a big barrier for me nutritionally- there are so many options that I am overwhelmed. Paleo really helps narrow it down for me. I also got some apple cider to mix in my fruit smoothie after workouts. I use frozen fruit, some leafy greens, some water and some fruit juice. I just started doing that yesterday.

hilarious about the subway, i would always eat a huge sandwich and chips from subway thinking i was eating healthy.  thanks jared!

that's awesome you have a good focus on the hormone free/wild-caught/grass fed foods.  i struggle with that because it tends to be so much pricier.  so i kinda go half/half with organic types vs regular.  have any good stew recipes? might be good for winter time coming up!

Fitocracy-HavingANickFit

hilarious about the subway, i would always eat a huge sandwich and chips from subway thinking i was eating healthy.  thanks jared!

that's awesome you have a good focus on the hormone free/wild-caught/grass fed foods.  i struggle with that because it tends to be so much pricier.  so i kinda go half/half with organic types vs regular.  have any good stew recipes? might be good for winter time coming up!

I have really enjoyed a beef and fennel stew and a ground beef casserole that has sweet potato in it. I'll add those recipes tomorrow. It is awesome winter food. I am going to make some chili tomorrow. It is supposed to get really cold here by tomorrow night. 

I had a great focused work out yesterday. It was biceps and triceps. I am starting to hurt, but not as bad as I thought I would. I am going to go home and do some yoga to stretch things out. Tomorrow I am back to the regular, foundational movements that I have been working on for just over a month- squats, bench press and dead lifts. It's interesting that I still find the challenge in focusing on doing the movement correctly. And I always am sweaty before I leave!

Food is going well this week. I have been eating more meat because I have been hungrier in the afternoons. I had been using almond butter as a snack, but it was going away too fast. I am not sure it is the best thing to demolish every week (a whole can of almond butter) :redface:  We had a work team Holiday Feast today. That was awesome because there were two kinds of meat- turkey and ham. The only veg was green beans in the namesake casserole. I abstained. I did have some mashed potatoes but I ignored the pie. I am imagining how much I will enjoy the pies next week! :pig:

I am also making slow strides at learning the software. I am feeling good about this- even the small changes in how my gut looks and how I feel about food. I am in a good place.

keep making those strides with the software man!  i look forward to seeing and trying the stew recipe.  

also, i go through about 2-3 16 ounce almond butters per week.  as part of my first challenge side quest i cut down, but i need to cut down more now.

Fitocracy-HavingANickFit

It's been a good week! I am looking at a weekend where the weather will require me to stay at home. I can really use that to my advantage. I am going to get computer work done that I have been putting off for more than a month. Since winter weather invaded Texas yesterday, I am going to stay off the roads and there is no reason to spend time outside.

My workout yesterday was great. New PR for squats at 155 lbs.! There was a guy in the gym that was using both bars- so inconsiderate in a super-small gym! -but he obviously felt he was worthy. I will stop being pissed off about it now. I used various machines to do my movements and got the work done! I am starting to wonder about changing things up. My running group is now over so no more huge distance running on the weekends for me. I need to start doing small, intense sprint workouts and regular yoga. I don't think I am stretching enough and loosing flexibility with the weight workouts I'm doing. The yoga is great stretching AND relaxing for me.

My weight was up .8 lbs. this week. If the electrical bodyfat percentage device is correct that .8 lbs. is lean muscle because my percentage is exactly the same as last week- 22.4%. I am not excited or depressed about any of this- I guess I just want to maintain over the holiday feasting. That will be a big change in the way my physical health changes throughout the year.

keep making those strides with the software man!  i look forward to seeing and trying the stew recipe.  

also, i go through about 2-3 16 ounce almond butters per week.  as part of my first challenge side quest i cut down, but i need to cut down more now.

Dude- so nice to know I'm not the only almond butter hog! I have really been sad that I consume more than a jar per week. The amazing thing is that it doesn't cause weight gain. I just suspect there are healthier ways to get the protein and fat. By the way- your Subway/Jared comment was hilarious, and unfortunately I still have a good friend who holds Jared up as a healthy role-model. Subway is still a significant part of his nutrition. 

So I'm off to do some significant software work today. Looking forward to reporting on the marked progress.

Stews are awesome, especially with slow cookers/crockpots. Just through everything in, set a timer so it starts cooking before you get home and is ready for you.

Personally I don't do recipes, I just buy a bunch of veggies, some meat, chuck in some tomatoes and hope for the best. 90% of the time it's great :) - this is how I prefer to cook, though I've been trying to go from recipes so I learn different things.

Sounds like you are working hard at it Jefro. Keep up that good work!

Level X - Human Ranger

Str: X ~ Dex: X ~ Sta: X ~ Con: X ~ Wis: X ~ Cha: X

Rachy87 - Going to level up my way, watch this space!

Not all who wander are lost 

Wow- it's been so long I've forgotten my password! I should know that a week that is cut short gets packed with more work on the front end. I'm slow, I guess.

Here are a couple straight forward recipes. There is a little pre-cooking before piling into the slow cooker, but it seems to be worth it.

Fennel Beef Stew

in the crock layer these ingredients:

2 fennell bulbs sliced about 1/8 inch thick (I don't core them because I like the whole thing minus the trimmed bottom)

2 carrots chopped

1 bell pepper- seeded and chopped

2 cloves of garlic- smashed

in heavy bottomed pan:

1 onion saute'd in 1 Tbsp. butter

2 lbs. beef- brown with onions and layer on top of veg in the crock

in the same pan (now empty) add:

1tsp fennel seeds

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp thyme- dry

2 Tbsp tomato paste- as soon as this hits the pan it starts to stick and that's awesome- just add

3 C broth (or V8 juice or water with lemon) and then blend together.

add the tomato mixture to the crock when it is homogenous

stick in a few bay leaves and cook on low for 8 hours

I have been halving the beef, fennel and broth in this recipe to make 3 of my size servings.

Paleo Beef Casserole

In the crock layer:

1 sweet potato peeled and cut 1/4 inch thick

1 C sliced mushrooms (I have used broccoli hearts too)

in heavy bottomed pan:

1/2 onion saute'd in 1 Tbsp. butter

4 chopped garlic cloves

1 lbs. beef- add once the onions are translucent

1/2 green bell pepper- seeded and chopped

1/2 red bell pepper- seeded and chopped 

add this to the crock

in the same pan (now empty) add:

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

1/2 C tomato sauce

add the tomato mixture to the crock when it smells sweet (add a little water if it thickens too much)

cook on low for 6 hours

I think these came out of this book:

The Paleo Slowcooker

I didn't make it to the gym last night because I was doing a guest lecture gig. It was a late night but I get to make up for it today. I can do weights two days in a row (I think) since I will be doing upper body stuff with the trainer. I'm going for it.

Food is on track, but I am still emotionally eating- it's just almond butter or macadamia nut butter instead of cookies. I am aware, but not sure what to do with it. Right now I am just going to make it through the holiday feasts. I am really looking forward to a Thanksgiving day-long binge. I might be writing about how miserable I am on the 29th. 

Thanks for checking in! It helps me to know I have company in this.

Wow- a little break in schedule kind of wrecked my "normal." I had a great Thanksgiving feast. I had some extra cookies that were supposed to go back to work- but they didn't make it. I gobbled down most of them before throwing the batch in the trash. They were manufactured, not really so tasty, BUT I wanted them! So my plan was mostly successful- I didn't eat crap ALL weekend! I had an AWESOME workout on Monday. Bigger squats and deadlifts every time. I need to get more psyched about that. My upper body isn't as strong so I am feeling more taxed at 135 lb. bench. I haven't done presses in about a month. I need to take some new pictures to see if I can tell a difference in my physical composition. That would be really exciting/motivating.

Last night I went to a hot yoga class that a friend of mine was teaching. I had never done hot yoga before and I sweated SO much that it messed up my electrolytes! I woke up this morning with a mad cramp in my left calf. It was so sensitive that it moved from point to point as I touched my calf to try and massage it out. I felt like a puddle in every way after that workout! I really needed the intense stretching so it was perfect.

I have not done any work on the software part of this challenge for a week. Time to get back on that!

Seems like life just gets crazier as Christmas approaches. The last storm devastated us. I was didn't leave the house for three days, except to walk the dog! I decided to drive my car and get some groceries. It has been a pre-holiday, holiday break.

I have been thinking about what I want to do on the next challenge. I have done well with eating paleo but it seems like things have plateaued. I think I am slowly gaining muscle definition and strength as weight and measurements seems to be static.

Measurements 12/7/13

180 lbs +1lb

Chest- 41.25" +.25"

Navel- 37" -1"

Waist- 39.5" +.25"

L Bicep- 13.5" same

R Bicep- 13.25" +.25"

L Quad- 23" -.125"

R Quad- 23" -.25"

I don't really understand what is happening. I guess it is time to start graphing this stuff so I can see trends. I did some work on my pictures to see if I could tell a difference in pictures during these challenges. I can see some change, but it isn't as dramatic as I had hoped- visually. I do feel stronger and I believe I am making a difference. I am looking for a force multiplier here. I hope that tracking my macros specifically will give me that.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines