Rise of The Cucumber Queen

Main Quest

To feel confident and happy in a bikini!  :pride:

Missions

1) Do strength training 3 times a week.

2) Do cardio 3 times a week.

3) At the end of these six weeks to be able to do a chin-up (Never once in my life have I been able to! Has been a goal for years).

Life Quest

Get a second course above eighty percent.

Motivation

I've struggled with self image my entire life. After falling to an eating disorder and beating it, nearly a year later my weight has risen again and because of it my happiness suffered. Looking to my Christmas vacation in absolute fear at the prospect of going to the Bahamas and having to wear a bikini, I've decided to take control of myself again. I'm not going to weigh myself or even take measurements, I'm going to measure my success on how I see myself and that alone. Hopefully by the end I'll have found my own hero inside of me  :pirate:

Side-Note: I realize I've started a little late, but I won't let that slow me! I'm planning on extending the challenge a week, and officially starting on the eighteenth (however I'll begin now).

Also, aside from a P90X video I followed a while back, I've never done strength training. If any veterans around have any tips, workout ideas, places to find workouts or your favorite moves let me know! I appreciate any/all advice! Since I already own the DVD's as well does anyone have any input on if following their free weight videos is okay or should I try and find other resources for them? 

Can't wait to hear from you! Cheers!

• Like 1

I'm jealous of your Christmas plans...I just wanted you to know that first, and as for the rest, good for you beating the disorder, but down to business, I have not seriously worked out in some years, but used to quite seriously, bodyweight strength training would probably be the best bet to get started, depending on how much free weight experience you have, and the site has a great one to start with here and pull up advice here  I have my own strength training thing i found, it's rough, spending so long sedintary i can't get all the way through it without stopping for a rest, it's this:

Body-Weight Rows - 15 reps
Body-Weight Squats - 25 reps
Pushups - 15 reps
Jumping Jacks - 50 reps
Mountain Climbers - 20 reps
Close-Grip Pushups - 10 reps
  • Like 1

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Self image is such a difficlut area.  I was heavy even as a child an kids can be so mean... As I got older, I realzed that adults are worse.  The fact that you are able to speak about it in a public forum is such a big step.  I am so very proud of you.  You can do it...I know you can.  Remind yuorself often that you are worth it, because you are.  All Hail the Cucumber Queen!!!  All the best to you

• Like 1

My Goal is to Succeed in EVERY Mission and Live to Succeed Again

I'm jealous of your Christmas plans...I just wanted you to know that first, and as for the rest, good for you beating the disorder, but down to business, I have not seriously worked out in some years, but used to quite seriously, bodyweight strength training would probably be the best bet to get started, depending on how much free weight experience you have, and the site has a great one to start with here and pull up advice here  I have my own strength training thing i found, it's rough, spending so long sedintary i can't get all the way through it without stopping for a rest, it's this:

Body-Weight Squats - 25 reps
Pushups - 15 reps
Jumping Jacks - 50 reps
Mountain Climbers - 20 reps
Close-Grip Pushups - 10 reps

Wow, thanks! Your response is much appreciated:) That set looks great, I'll definitely be trying that out sometime! 

I think that trying to maintain a positive body image is one of the toughest things about trying to improve your fitness. You want to make a change, but you don't want to hate on yourself all the time. Some documentary or another, recommended telling yourself "I love myself as I am right now." everyday. It helps me, but I feel a little ridiculous doing it. I totally agree with how mean adults can be. The cattiness of some of the people I work with when it comes to weight especially is disheartening.

Adults can be mean, I was reading not to long ago that not only is physical appearance with regards to beauty and appearance the last acceptable prejudice, but it's been more or less institutionalized, and it's very difficult to prove if you were denied or released from a position because of your physical appearance. It's a sad but true fact that "lookism" as it's been dubbed exists, I actively try to get in front of it in my own perceptions but it can be difficult and it requires conscious effort, however it saddens me that the majority of people don't see why this is a problem (although the recent backlash to the "fat-shaming" campaign does give hope). Fortunately we are not alone, as lookism is apparently still around in the 24th century, I was watching some TNG last night and they came across a ship of clever but seemingly slow and dumpy creatures that they offered to help, Wesley commented on their appearance and Data responded "Judging another species by their appearance is the last great human prejudice" so i guess we have a long way to go :-p

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Wow thanks for the feedback guys! Today is my official starting date, I'm feeling uber-psyched! I definitely agree, adults can be just as mean as kids and youth, maybe even worse. I woke up today positive and ready to take on the day. I marked down for cardio, which I typically do with abs. Hopefully it won't be too dark by the time I get home so I can head out for a run (live in the country, no streetlamps, dirt roads, forests, lion and tigers and bears- oh my!). If not I'll go on my elliptical. 

My quest has officially begun!

Wow thanks for the feedback guys! Today is my official starting date, I'm feeling uber-psyched! I definitely agree, adults can be just as mean as kids and youth, maybe even worse. I woke up today positive and ready to take on the day. I marked down for cardio, which I typically do with abs. Hopefully it won't be too dark by the time I get home so I can head out for a run (live in the country, no streetlamps, dirt roads, forests, lion and tigers and bears- oh my!). If not I'll go on my elliptical. 

My quest has officially begun!

Well....Lions and Tigers and Bears can be wonderful running incentives lol, I often remember saying in my younger days when I had a metabolism like a hummingbird (roughly 16...soooo over a decade ago now....ouch) that i would only run when being chased, but all joking aside cougars and bobcats do not make for good running companions lol

Good luck with Running and keep us posted!!

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Hey! Yesterday morning one week ago exactly I made my official start! I've completed 3X cardio (one night elliptical, one night circuit with jump rope and one day run outside!). 3X strength was also accomplished! (DrunkenSnake420's suggestion (loved it!), The beginner program from NF itself and a third I threw together myself to try and help work up to a chin up:)). Diet wise, I say I deserved an A+ until the weekend came. I didn't go to far off track, but I might have fallen into a couple of temptations I probably should have tried to avoid. Hopefully I'll learn from it and use it to my advantage for next weekend!

Overall, I feel pretty good about it. 1 week down, 5 to go:)

Hope anyone reading this had a good week as well! 

Hey! Yesterday morning one week ago exactly I made my official start! I've completed 3X cardio (one night elliptical, one night circuit with jump rope and one day run outside!). 3X strength was also accomplished! (DrunkenSnake420's suggestion (loved it!), The beginner program from NF itself and a third I threw together myself to try and help work up to a chin up:)). Diet wise, I say I deserved an A+ until the weekend came. I didn't go to far off track, but I might have fallen into a couple of temptations I probably should have tried to avoid. Hopefully I'll learn from it and use it to my advantage for next weekend!

Overall, I feel pretty good about it. 1 week down, 5 to go:)

Hope anyone reading this had a good week as well! 

great to hear you appreciated my suggestion, and great work on the week congrats!

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Hey! What's your guys opinion on working out and sickness? During the weekend I had a minor head cold and worked through it, but today it seemed to have moved a bit to my chest and all around seemed to get a bit worse. I feel terrible missing a day of working out (which is a really good sign I think!), but I was sent home from work in the morning still and slept straight through until 3 PM.  

It's a strength day, so I think I can probably go through without dying or anything, but I'd hate to make it worse. 

So what do you guys usually do when it comes to sickness and working out?

Thx!

your body needs to recover and repair when your sick, that uses a lot of resources (also why you get so tired when your sick, body trying to conserve and focus energy, like diverting from the shields to power the thrusters or vice versa)  that is also what your body does after you work out, recover and repair. While working out will probably not make it worse, you will feel like crap and it stands a chance of making you feel sick for longer due to your body dividing resources on multiple repair jobs. i say wait it out, and make this your rest day, use your real rest day to make up for it either by shifting everything over a day or just adding your strength there just what I would do

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

your body needs to recover and repair when your sick, that uses a lot of resources (also why you get so tired when your sick, body trying to conserve and focus energy, like diverting from the shields to power the thrusters or vice versa)  that is also what your body does after you work out, recover and repair. While working out will probably not make it worse, you will feel like crap and it stands a chance of making you feel sick for longer due to your body dividing resources on multiple repair jobs. i say wait it out, and make this your rest day, use your real rest day to make up for it either by shifting everything over a day or just adding your strength there just what I would do

Thanks, I'm following your advice, I'll just rotate today with my rest day ! (:

I would suggest taking note of something (other than weight) on which to measure progress, because it can be really hard to notice changes in yourself.

That can be as simple as taking note of how a few pairs of pants fit (e.g. the pair that fits you best right now, a pair that's a bit tight but wearable, and a pair you can't quite get into or is very tight), or taking some pictures.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I would suggest taking note of something (other than weight) on which to measure progress, because it can be really hard to notice changes in yourself.

That can be as simple as taking note of how a few pairs of pants fit (e.g. the pair that fits you best right now, a pair that's a bit tight but wearable, and a pair you can't quite get into or is very tight), or taking some pictures.

I was actually thinking about this...you read my mind! Jedi mind-trick?

In all seriousness, thanks. I was thinking how I'd like to do it, and I think I will take a few pictures, and the pants idea is a genius plan. It's something I will notice anyways, but now it has a purpose aha:) I accidentally took a peek at the scale yesterday in my illness boredom, so while I refuse to step on again until the end of the six weeks, I can have a general idea with that as well.

Thanks again:)

Back today badder than ever! Well, maybe not bad but I feel great. Almost all of my symptoms are gone:) I took it a little easy on the workout, but still feel all noodle-ly in my arms which is always a good sign. Tested out a chin-up today, I got/held it with my chin at the bar for a few seconds, and while I really owe it to my jump into it, it's definite improvement from my attempt last week (don't even ask). It's crazy how fast you can notice differences!

Feeling good about this week. I'm thinking of snowshoeing tomorrow, my city's expecting 25 Cm of snow tonight! Woo!

snowshoeing? that sounds....huh? 25 cm is a pretty good fall, snow shoveling is probably a pretty good full body workout as well, just reverse your grip once in awhile, we've reached the halfway point! we get a level!! wooo!!!

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Has not been the best week, fitness wise alright but food wise...it was a trek through Mordred to put it modestly. I'd blame the fact my older sister came back for a couple days (yay!) loaded with tonnes of beautiful gingerbread men house creations and After Eight goodies, but realistically she was not making me eat anything, it was me. 

Honestly, how can you resist nibbling on some candies when decorating a ginger bread man house? I salute anyone who can. This was just a light turned on to make me realize my will-power kinda sucks when it comes to goodies (I frigging love sweets like I love sleep). Anyone else here feel powerless when it comes to being face-to-face with the enemy? Let me know suggestions and/or stories:)

Hope everyone in the US is having a good Thanksgiving weekend:)

Cheers, 

thecucumberqueen

Has not been the best week, fitness wise alright but food wise...it was a trek through Mordred to put it modestly. I'd blame the fact my older sister came back for a couple days (yay!) loaded with tonnes of beautiful gingerbread men house creations and After Eight goodies, but realistically she was not making me eat anything, it was me. 

Honestly, how can you resist nibbling on some candies when decorating a ginger bread man house? I salute anyone who can. This was just a light turned on to make me realize my will-power kinda sucks when it comes to goodies (I frigging love sweets like I love sleep). Anyone else here feel powerless when it comes to being face-to-face with the enemy? Let me know suggestions and/or stories:)

Hope everyone in the US is having a good Thanksgiving weekend:)

Cheers, 

thecucumberqueen

my problem with sweets, or snacks of any kind really, is that when they are around I mindlessly munch on them, totally no bueno but hey what you gonna do, I had to stop keeping them around/keep healthy snacks around instead. however I found that after a couple weeks of tricking myself out of the sweets they became less and less appealing, sort of like addiction in a way, you just have to get past the detox

• Like 1

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

It's been awhile...

Well, a quick catch-up. Beginning of last week was phenomenal, A+. Worked out everyday, ate perfect. And then on Thursday I missed a work out..and on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and now today. My excuses, as far as they've been are good. I'm in exams, school is hell and was travelling all weekend, but I just feel like shit. I wish I did SOMETHING. 

And, just to top it off, my diet has been shit since last Friday too. Well, today was alright, but I was travelling this weekend for a family Christmas party...and well it wasn't I messed up, I didn't even try. I feel like I just kinda gave in and said fuck it...now I have huge regrets.

I'm just so stressed because of school and everything and Bahamas is coming up sooner than I can even imagine and just urgh. I just want to be happy. Honestly, that's all, I wanna be happy and I'm just so frustrated.

I just want to time travel to like Wednesday where I'll be done one stupid exam and will have two days of working out and clean eating under my belt...

I'm proud of myself...because I got back into my workout regiment and know I can keep at it for a long time now that I've started, I'm just upset I screwed up  :grumpy:

ERGH.

My updates have been very sporadic lately, and I haven't been keeping good track at home either, but his week has been great food wise. I caved and ate french fries both today and yesterday...but I was stranded at an arena after my exams and before work and had no options but the cafe. Naturally they had no healthy foods...well I didn't dress them at all and got the smallest size, so not too disappointed. My options were very limited.

I didn't work out except Tues. and Today, however I wrote two exams this week I felt went great (yipee) and had a pretty intense dancing session yesterday:)

Feeling okay overall!

How are you guys?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines