Hello Rebels!

I stumbled upon NF a while ago and I'm quite taken with it. Heres my story for those who are interested.

In HS I was puny. As a 5'6" guy that weighed in at 110lbs I fell in with the nerds. Also, I'm smart! ;-) I like to think I was a nerd before it was cool.

I took up boxing and inline skating and rock climbing in HS so was quite fit, but not super strong. I got married shortly out of HS and went from 120lbs to nearly 240, in about 6 years.

I got serious about getting fit and changed my diet and started hitting the gym. That took me from 235ish to 170 lbs. And a divorce. She wasn't ready for changes like I was, and our only thing in common turned out to be mmorpgs, (DAoC, AO, WoW) and I gave that up to change my life.

I got married again later, have 3 little girls and am woeking on unfit again. I'm back up to 187lbs and started smoking again. Wish I hadn't, but if wishes were horses and all that.

I need to level up my life, so I'm trying to build muscle, lose fat, stop smoking abd eating crap (paleo bound, at least partly...)

I surpise myself that I'm not as unfit as I feel, if that makes sense, but I'm aurely not where I want to be. My BMI says I'm obese (barely) and I'd put my BF% around the high 20s or low 30s, although as its mostly in my gut I have retained some ability to run, and lift things. I'd like to be stronger, I've always been known as the guy who's tougher than he looks and can take punishment, but certainly not the guy you look at and think "that's one bad mother..shutyermouth"

I need help with staying motivated, breajing terrible habits and making time. My life is complicated by the fact that I work full time, run a second part time business, and my wife has two jobs too. With three little kids added to that finding time is difficult, as is dietary change. I know the time exists to find though, if I want it enough.

I'd also like to be an inspiration to my wife, who is uncomfortable in her body and falls into many of the same traps as I do. If I can change, maybe I can inspire her to make the changes that I know she wants.

(This message typed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive any obvious typographical errors.)

Awesome.

Also reading this made me so happy: "I'd also like to be an inspiration to my wife, who is uncomfortable in her body and falls into many of the same traps as I do. If I can change, maybe I can inspire her to make the changes that I know she wants."

You sound like an awesome husband, and I have no doubt that you'll be able to help your wife get more comfortable with herself. My husband is a constant fitness inspiration to me. I've hit a few more fitness roadblocks than he has, and I'm sure he wishes that I hadn't let myself go as much as I have. However, he's never ever let on and has been nothing but supportive. He's gone to the gym with me, and cooks us fantastic paleo food, and encourages me to work-out because it makes me happy. He is cool with me spending time and money on my health. He, like you, is concerned with his wife's comfort and health, and it's one of the qualities of a great husband (this is really different than the "get fit for me" stance that some people push on their spouses).