Here is some video from my practice tonight.  I tried focusing on a point behind my hands, and when I remembered to do it, it really helped.  Thanks, DM, I need to remember to try those other tips.

Better Living through Reckless* Experimentation

*But well documented

Funny thing: I've had those shoes for over a year, but I didn't know they had those reflective spots until I watched this video.

*But well documented

I was admiring the reflectors and thinking they added a little pizzazz to your nighttime video. You kept getting better as the video went on and ended with a great hold. My only complaint is the lack of snow. Well, more like a complaint on the fact that I'm not suffering from a lack of snow. :)

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

It took me a few attempts getting warmed up, but I nailed it on the last one.  I kept practicing for a while after this, and had several more good ones.  I still want to get a lot better, but I think this is an important milestone.

*But well documented

Who is still working on handstands for the upcoming challenge? I'm still in. My goal this time around is to do a 60 second wall handstand consitently

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I am.  I think I'm going to try for a 15 second freestanding handstand.  The handstands were my favorite part of the last challenge, so I might as well stick with it.

*But well documented

Heh, hey Silkie :3 alright, count me in. Today is supposed to be a rest day for me but I may mix it up with handstands. Question by the way, when doing pushups with your feet on the wall in the hollow body position, should your head feel like it's about to explode? And, should I go all the way down till my head touches the ground before coming back up? I wonder if this is the right place to be asking lol

°~°

°¬° 

You may be using your neck muscles unnecessarily. Its a pushup afterall, not a neck exercise! Try and relax everything that isn't necessary. Too many muscles firing off also affect balance. Whether you touch your head is really up to you, but I personally do.

Formerly "Silkie" the Level 3 Ranger - now respawning as "Arcanis" the Monk ...

First Challenge   Holiday Mini-Challenge   Second Challenge  Third Challenge (Incomplete) Fourth Challenge (Incomplete)

Post-Respawn:  Fifth Challenge

So some motivation, I just successfully did my first freestanding handstand. I held it for 3 seconds before going over. I was doing the ones where you face the wall and let the backs of your get touch, but not your back. I was trying to keep my feet from hitting the wall to hard, and eventually they didn't hit the wall at all.

°~°

°¬° 

recently I've had a lot of critique on my handstands and I've discovered a few key points which may or may not be new to those refining their handstand technique.

First, and what I think was most helpful, was a way to help get the muscle memory for the squaring and pushing out of the shoulders.

either just do downward dog and keep that extended shoulder position as you kick up to handstand, or you can also place your hands against the wall with a hip hinge so you're making an upside down L against the wall (90 degree hips) roll your shoulders around until your shoulder blades are set back on your back as close together as possible. it should feel like your deltoids are now facing upwards.  I dunno if that's entirely confusing to understand, but it's something you have to really feel.

Second, the head should be neutral between the arms, but your eyeballs can gaze in front of you at the ground. this will get your spine in a better line and the steady gaze should make it easier to maintain a solid base.

Third, if you have a spouse or roommate available, have them hold your ankles together in front of their waist while you lie on your back on the floor. keep your body in a straight line and have them let one of your ankles go at a time without telling you which one or when. Your job is to keep your ankles together as much as possible. keep your glutes and back tight and straight. this is a good conditioning exercise because that's what should be activated on your hands.

hope these help you as much as they helped me!

keep practicing!

Quest: Run, aerial silks, handbalancing, and Roue Cyr

Life Goal: Professional cirque performer (secret identity) and Data engineer

I tried kicking up from downward dog.  That works pretty well.  It is a little difficult for me to actually get up to handstand from there, but that probably means that I'm still depending too much on momentum to get up.  I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the tips.

*But well documented

How is everyone doing? I've been working on my wall handstands. I think I getting better at them, I think I'll start working on bailing out of them now

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've been getting pretty decent at the basic handstand, I've been using dumbbells as pedestals and that's really built my confidence (it's easier than on the ground unlike what you may or may not think) I guess I average about 20 second stands but I have started to focus on more back flexibility so that I can do a full scorpion posture. Also I've been working in Mexican handstands... still not at parallel though. so I end up forgetting to hold the basic stand for as long as possible because I start playing with it.

Keep practicing!

I've slowly been getting better.  I still can't hold them for very long,but I have noticed that I can actually hold for longer when my form isn't perfect.  With my back slightly arched and my legs bent I can sometimes hold for close to 10 second.

*But well documented

It's interesting that balance point is forther forward than you'd think. If your feet are allowed to flop over your head sometimes it's easier because you have the leverage of your fingertips to control your body. The trick I think is to slowly straighten the legs from that point while tightening all your muscles so you find that perfect form with pointed toes (which is sort of tilted forward. To make your body. Straighter after finding that comfortable tilt just barely bring your head up by cocking your neck just barely) Good luck practicing!

I've been getting pretty decent at the basic handstand, I've been using dumbbells as pedestals and that's really built my confidence (it's easier than on the ground unlike what you may or may not think) I guess I average about 20 second stands but I have started to focus on more back flexibility so that I can do a full scorpion posture. Also I've been working in Mexican handstands... still not at parallel though. so I end up forgetting to hold the basic stand for as long as possible because I start playing with it.

Keep practicing!

You'll have to post some pictures of you doing the handstand  variations. Sounds like fun

I haven't posted anything in awhile. Life basically, sorry guys. I've recently discovered that my house is a really difficult place for trying any kind of balance work. Everything is still settling into red clay XD. So I have lots of varying grades to have fun with. To balance where I was at I had to be at an 80° -75° angle to the floor. I've decided I needed to practice against the wall more for strength.

I've inspired a friend to try doing handstands again. I haven't improved much on handstands, but my crow pose is going well :3

°~°

°¬° 

You'll have to post some pictures of you doing the handstand  variations. Sounds like fun

okay, here's a little preview of some of my WIP on mexicans and scorpians.. I hope to see more improvements as I become more flexible in my back. also... tilt your heads... sorry.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines