Getting Back to Running

From early 2011 to March 2012 I ran my first three marathons. Had an injury three weeks before the first race (bone bruise) which caused me to walk/jog the last four miles. Brutal. Still laced up for the others and just took it very slow. Did a plan written by Jason. Of course I didn't let myself recover properly from the injury, so it has nagged me on and off. 

My last half marathon was September 2012. By that time I had pretty much hung up my shoes, and barely trained for the race. I had switched to a focus on weight lifting. It was my girlfriend's first half and she practically had to carry me across the finish line. 

Since then, I've done maybe a half dozen runs of various low mileages, nothing more than 3.5 miles. I've picked up K. Starr's Becoming a Supple Leopard and really started correcting the issues which led to my injury (poor form due to hip issues, tightness in my arches, etc.). So I'm ready to start getting back out there. We just signed up for a race in early October 2014. Right now I am switching to the Nerd Fitness bodyweight routine and doing that M/W/F. Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm doing 20 minutes of HIIT, either on the bike, wind sprints, or jumping jacks/jump rope. Then on Saturday or Sunday start doing progressively longer runs. 

Any thoughts on this? My plan is to stick to this general goal for at least the next 2-3 months and then assess where I am. I am running in a barefoot shoe, which I've done before, but I still want to take it pretty easy. Last week my "long" run was 2.25 miles. This week it was 2.5. I'm planning on doing 3 miles this weekend to see how that feels. 

I don't need to BQ in even the foreseeable future, just run injury free and maybe avoid doing too much metabolic damage to my body.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross