rajwible

Hey NF!

So I've been kind of into smoothies lately.  I like to mix my veggies and fruits into a thick, unpleasantly coloured, yet scrumptious drink.

What do you think of them?  I mean like, do they keep the same nutritional values as their whole ingredients?  And I know that too much fruit is too much fruit and all that.  That's why I try to use less fruit more veggies.

Except when the pea or carrot taste is too strong...  That's the worst.

I guess I would just like to hear some general opinions or facts.

Should I nix the smoothies and just go for whole veggies and fruits or are smoothies okay?

It's quite crucial information since I'm, yanno, traing for Loki's Army and all. ;)

Thanks guys!

-Raj

Nutritionally I know of absolutely no difference between smoothies and un-blended foods. Chopping the food up doesn't change any nutritional properties, no matter how tiny.

The biggest problems people have with smoothies seem to be portion control and not paying attention to just how much sugar they have in them. When we drink our calories we tend to go overboard. Measuring things out a few times and doing the math on how many calories, carbs, sugar, servings of veggies, etc you're getting in each portion is a necessary step. Keep in mind that a smoothie with some extra healthy fat and protein will keep you full much much longer than one without.

I think smoothies are great, particularly when they include veggies. I tried Avocado in a smoothie for the first time this morning (Some frozen mango + 1/2 avocado + milk, I added a bit more water to loosen it, + 1 tbsp protein powder).

Fruit juices are problematic because they have all of the sugar and little or no fiber, and thin liquids don't fill you up much. Smoothies made with whole fruits and vegetables (and not juice, or frozen smoothie bases with added sugar etc) are great.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I actually like frozen kale as an addition to smoothies over spinach, but it's a completely personal preferences (I also think the texture smoothes out pretty nice).

One trick I know (from Food Guru Alton Brown) to up your smoothies is to actually make them ahead of time (but do not blend!) and let the frozen goodness sit and melt in the fridge for up to 8 hours (I often make a breakfast smoothie before going to bed and whip it up in the morning).  

If you do it this way, you'll get just about perfect texture.  Not completely gloppy liquid, not so thick you need a spoon to eat it.  

LEVEL 1 Half-Elf Adventurer"Play your part well, for there all honor lies".STG:2 DEX:2STA:3 CON:3WIS:1 CHA:4Fitocracy!

I like my high fat pina colada.

• 4-6 oz. unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 c. frozen pineapple pieces
  • 1 sm. piece avocado (about 1/5 of a lg. avocado or ¼ of a sm. one)
  • 1 tbsp. shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp. coconut oil
  • Dash vanilla extract
  • 2-4 ice cubes
  • 4-6 oz. water
  • 1 oz rum (optional)

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

Nutritionally I know of absolutely no difference between smoothies and un-blended foods. Chopping the food up doesn't change any nutritional properties, no matter how tiny.

The biggest problems people have with smoothies seem to be portion control and not paying attention to just how much sugar they have in them. When we drink our calories we tend to go overboard. Measuring things out a few times and doing the math on how many calories, carbs, sugar, servings of veggies, etc you're getting in each portion is a necessary step. Keep in mind that a smoothie with some extra healthy fat and protein will keep you full much much longer than one without.

True - I need to lose weight, so I make sure that I have to chew my food and give my stomach some work to do and don't just down five portions of fruits and veggies in one go. :D So, no smoothies for me.. for now. But if you just need to get more nutrients and calories in your diet, smoothies are great. You only lose some of the nutrients if you blend them in advance, because light and oxygen will destroy some of it. (Like vitamin C in kale.)

• Like 1

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

"Constant Vigilance!"

- Alastor Moody in "Harry Potter"

Not to thread-jack but I was hoping someone could give me some advice...

I started doing smoothies for breakfast a few weeks ago and so far I like it a lot. Unlike cereal or fruit, I'm actually full most of the morning, and I can make it the night before to save time. My recipe is:

-1/2 cup oats

-1/2 cup various frozen fruits

-1 scoop of protein powder

-8oz of Trop50 OJ

-1 handful of spinach (going to go buy frozen spinach next time).

I started paying attention to my sugar intake, and realized that this shake has 23 grams of it due to the OJ and fruit. MyFitnessPal suggests I eat 30g according to my macros, so that doesn't leave me with much to work with for the rest of the day. Any ideas on what I could do differently?

I'd try to sub out the orange juice if you want to decrease the sugar content. It isn't adding much value. I use water, milk or (unsweetened) coconut milk if I make smoothies. The coconut milk has a significant amount of calories, but it also has fat and that makes me stay fuller longer. I also use a mix of frozen and unfrozen fruit (sometimes this just means taking the fruit out of the freezer into the fridge the day before) which means I need less added liquid. 

I have a hard time getting my protein in, so I have a protein smoothie every morning. I use:

1 c Spinach

1/2 Frozen Banana

1 c Milk

1 tbl Flax Seed (ground)

1 scoop Protein Powder.

I add another fruit if I'm feeling adventurous. I also add things like hemp protein, pumpkin protein, pea protein or spirulina sometimes. I suck at breakfast and this makes my mornings go so much easier. Bonus: 37g of Protein. I tried using almond milk or water, but I like the extra protein I get from milk. It's my only dairy indulgence :)

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I'd try to sub out the orange juice if you want to decrease the sugar content. It isn't adding much value. I use water, milk or (unsweetened) coconut milk if I make smoothies. The coconut milk has a significant amount of calories, but it also has fat and that makes me stay fuller longer. I also use a mix of frozen and unfrozen fruit (sometimes this just means taking the fruit out of the freezer into the fridge the day before) which means I need less added liquid. 

Awesome just what I needed to hear, thanks!

I tried zucchini as a smoothie vegetable for the first time this week. Works great! I had one that was about 1" diameter, maybe 7" long (fairly typical for a grocery store zucchini) that I used half one day and half the next. I could see using all of one that size at once. Chopped it up into a few chunks and put it in the blender.

I did banana-mango-zucchini-milk one day, and this morning, banana-zucchini-milk with chocolate protein powder.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I think I will try the avacado and zucchini suggestions at some point next week.  I've been looking for greener suggestions to add to my morning smoothies.  I usually do:

1c whole milk

1 scoop protein power (currently chocolate)

1 egg (sometimes)

1 banana

1-2 additional fruit (current options being cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, pineapple, mango, kiwi, coconut)

I am always looking for things to add to the "additional" line, and good combinations of things :)