Kingclumsy's Winter of Workouts

kingclumsy

"There goes King Clumsy" they laughed, "Bow down to him," every time I returned. "I'm going to be a Ranger," I would say, time and time again. "My name will be famous across the world, I'll be a hero of the rebellion" I would say. Then return back to the fortress time and time again. At the first sign of a steep hill or scary monster I'd return home. So I'll stay home, and train for anything the road throws at me. so see me in the courtyard training with sword and bow. See me lifting logs and breaking them for firewood. A winter of these things and I'll be ready when summer comes.

Translation: I've tried and given up on challenges a lot of times before. I dont know why, maybe my targets were too high, maybe i set myself too many challenges. I think mostly I was expecting too much too soon. So I'm going to try again and spend winter getting into a good routine and be ready to take full advantage of next years good weather.

Main Quest: Pass minimum skills, become a Majestic Striped Unicorn (Roller Derby Referee)

Fitness Goals:

Skate like a Girl!: Its sometimes awkward being one of the few guys in a roller derby league. I'm in post-fresh/ pre minimum skills limbo. It doesn't mean i can't use the time to practice. When I'm not in a drill and the track is free, get practice in. When I'm in the middle and just dropping out of a practice, use free space to practice minimum skills (I'm about 70% complete on them!) and when reffing, focus and don't be afraid to call penalties. Assesment criteria: Subjective.

Eat well: I'm a bit of a greeny and am interested in low environmental impact diets. I'm vegan and try and shop local. Another way of improving this is to eat more whole foods. Nuts, fruit, seeds and so on. Less steps in manufacturing and shipping between me and my noms. Also leans in the direction of paleo (though I'm not going paleo as I'm Vegan and that'd be too limiting for me). Assessment criteria: 1/4 of food from base ingredients

Build Strength: I'm unsteady on my feet and have pretty poor muscle tone. I think what would help me in skating is improving my core and lower body strength (particularly for good derby stance, which is a permanent squat) So I've rejoined my local cheap gym and intend to attend 2-3 times a week. I thought this might be a bit much, but I've worked out I don't get a huge workout at derby as I'm often on the sidelines reffing or observing. Assessment: Attend gym 2-3 times a week for 30 mins minimum

Life Goal:

Make and keep home tidy. I'm slowly making my way up maslow's heirarchy of needs, in a way. And I think making our home a positive place to live in and excercise in. Take time to clean up after myself, do a bit at a time. Assessment Criteria: Subjective Right then. Wish me luck. Skate hard, train harder.

• Like 2

Level 3 Roller Knight

STR:3 DEX: 1 STA:2 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: None

Hi Kingclumsy - you have some great goals. As a psychology graduate, I think Maslow is a great way to try and organise your happiness as it is essentially a how-to guide isn't it? 

Good luck with your challenge, you'll kick this one's arse, I can feel it! 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Hi Kingclumsy - you have some great goals. As a psychology graduate, I think Maslow is a great way to try and organise your happiness as it is essentially a how-to guide isn't it? 

Good luck with your challenge, you'll kick this one's arse, I can feel it! 

Its something I'm trying to focus on. I'm hardly in a position to be a great author, start a business whatever whatever, if I don't have some semblance of  a foundation. It also slows me down in life, makes me appreciate small things and helps me plan better.

Level 3 Roller Knight

For personal record.

Inspirational people/figures

Fictional:

Captain Malcolm Reynolds/Nathan Fillion

Aragorn from Lord of the Rings/Viggo Mortensen

Thor (Chris Hemsworth)

Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba)

Stannis "The Mannis" Baratheon (Stephen Dillane

Not-Fictional

Jonathan R (New York Shock Exchange captain)

Alex Zinardi (Formula One driver turned Handcyclist)

Richard Whithead (Paralympic Marathon runner turned sprinter)

Ellie Simmons (Paralympic Double gold medal winning Swimmer )

David Weir (Quadruple(!) Gold medal winning Paralympic Wheelchair athlete)

My Fiance (One time Tall ships racer, Rollergirl, healthcare assistant and love of my life)

Kamikaze Kitten (London Rollergirls Jammer, in fact, all of LRG)

Inspirational Music

Public Enemy: Harder than you think

Ramin Djawadi: Pacific Rim theme

Muse: Surival

Prodigy: Invaders Must Die

(more to follow)

• Like 1

Level 3 Roller Knight

Days Two-Four: Still down with Stomach bug. Off Tuesday and Thursday and worked Wednesday morning before packing it on.

That said, Tuesday I tidied the house some and what I have eaten has been well over 1/4 wholefoods/base ingredients. So thats good.

I'm going to attempt to go to the gym later, but won't kick myself if I give up and go home. Still nto at 100%

Level 3 Roller Knight

Day Five

Gym: A bit of an exploratory mission as much as anything else. Its been a while since I lifted and I wanted to see how much I could comfortably do. workout was as follows

Warmup: Rowing Machine: 1000m in 4:35 on 3.5 resistance (quite light) really good! I guess I'm a little fitter than I thought I was

Squats: 5x5 30kg-35kg (unsure of barbell weight, need to check). I've lifted heavier before, but I was a little unsteady. My form could've been better with regards to my back but I got pretty low.

40 second plank. Straight back but mostly rolled shoulders, probably could do less if I had them straight.

One Arm Dumbell Rolls, 5x5 (each side) 10kg. Form was pretty good, though sometimes I lifted with my shoulders. I was just about doing to failure, could maybe try with heavier.

Barbell row (I think its called) in good Derby Stance (narrow squat) position. 5x5 20kg. Form could be better, could lift further though later sets I had good shoulder  position. As always GET LOWER

5x5 10kg alternating dumbell curls. Posture was decent. Occaisionally swinging to lift. Think my comfortaable limit is still 7.5kg (which is what  I have at home)

I ache, and I have probable bad-form ache. Otherwise I feel GREAT! More of this please :)

Food was okay, back at work, so not a lot of from-base ingredients food. a lot of pre-prepared. Still healthy though.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Days 6+7

No Excercise really though did lift and push huge flatpack furniture boxes across a store and to the car as well as carrying it intot he hosue (I struggled, I can only imagine how my 63 year old mother felt!) Legs still aching from squats and I dont think that helped. Ate relatively well.

Lifegoal: Bought wooden box for art equipment and chest of drawes from ikea. Queen Clumsy (My fiance) built the box and I built most of the drawers

Level 3 Roller Knight

Day 8 (beginning of week 2)

Food approx 50% from base ingredients, about to cook up a vegetable stir fry (though inc pre packaged stir fry), snacks almost all nuts and fruit.

Gym

500m row.

3x 15 second front-side-front-side planks.

5x5 30kg lateral pulldown

5x5 Incline dumbell press 10kg (really pleased with this, really pushed myself)

5x10(each side) 10kg dumbell row.

Back skating tomorrow :)

Level 3 Roller Knight

THIS time, it was fine. though I dont know if I would've passed minimum skills with my jumps.

Day 10:

Bought dinner from Subway

Learnt hand signals

Impressed fellow skater with my speed when doing fast laps.

Walked a Lot.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Update to beginning of week three.

Eating okay, veg box arrived on riday along with recipe book. I'm looking foward to using that.

Excercise: not much given I've been busy and then on saturday I went over during derby practice, twisting my ankle and sprainign my wrist and welbow. Nothing major but quite tender. Don't know if I'll go to derby tomorrow

tidying house: Some, but also working on using laptop less and generally quieting my mind.

Message ends.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Week three review:

Eating well- Though went to pub and ate out once, made amny meals from base and second veg box arrived. Used it to make awesome Cottage Pie,

Excercise: didnt go to the gym , mostly due to conflicting social occaisions. Though didn't go to the gym on saturday or sunday despite time

Derby: Attended 2/3 practices.

Keeping house tidy: Maintenance level, not particularly enthusiastic

Rating: C

Need to kick myself up the arse some.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Its going slowly, a lot of life is getting in the way but at the same time I could try harder. I'll attend both derby practices this week, and doing a lot of from-base cooking  after a weekend of not. Did tidy the house quite well though ahead of an inspection and I'm keeping at it :D

Last weeks rating: C+. Possibly lower but certain things were out of my hands.

Level 3 Roller Knight

Hey kingclumsy,

Do you have a date set for your minimum skills/referee test? Or is that a main quest that you planned to stretch out over a few challenges?

Pip-Boy read-out: Level 3 Sentinel:  S(STR)- 3 | P(CON)- 6 | E(STA)- 7 | C(CHA)- 6.5 | I(WIS)- 8 | A(DEX)- 4.5 | L(LUC)

Scratched on the case are the words- "You don't need a reason to help people".

Over several this and hopefully only the next  challenge for minimum skills, after that, reffing. Though I may not set that as my next challenge.

I skipped gym this morning but I've got skate practice this evening. Also, a bunch of Palletes of stock came into work today, so I did some lifting with them!

Right, four days left (going to my aprents on 22nd) the plan is thus

Tuesday: Derby Skills practice, take 1 mile walk from bus stop to venue at speed

Wednesday: Get up and go to gym for arm/back/shoulders workout (dumbell press, 1 arm rows, lateral pulldowns?)

Thursday: Get up with other half, stay at home, but do core workout on yoga matt. (Crunches, planks, side planks, lateral crunches)

Friday: Gym after work for good Ol' fashioned squats and deadlifting. Focus on form.

Too much? any suggestions for excercises?

• Like 1

Level 3 Roller Knight

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines