Most wanted Assassins of the week

Nuala

NICE WORK GUYS! :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Congratulations to all! Great work.

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

Assassin_Crest_320.png

A S S A S S I N S   U N C L O A K E D

Featuring this week...Jake1989

photo-thumb-11208.png?_r=1379973586

Challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39627-two-steps-forward-one-step-back-level-2-assassins-guild-jake1989/

Our lovely guild leader Nuala and her very competent team of journalists, decided to improve the Most Wanted List even more by adding real interviews with some of our most wanted assassins. Our very first interview is with Jake1989. He was most wanted in week one for doing his first muscle-up. Here we go!

Nuala:
So, your first achievement in our guild is the infamous muscle-up. Many of us have this exercise as a goal, how long did it take you to reach this goal?

Jake:
This is actually my first bar muscle-up. I've had my ring muscle-ups for a few months now. I think it took about three sessions of focusing solely on the technique to get there. It came much sooner than I had thought it would.

Nuala:
I had the idea that ring muscle-ups were more difficult than bar muscle-ups because of the balance and core strength required. Have you been working on rings for a long time? And how often?

Jake:
You know, a lot of the other peeps at my gym, coaches included, argue that the bar is much easier than the rings. I don't have previous experience on the rings, but I found that getting a bigger kip on the rings is easier because the rings move with you. Kipping hips up to chest height, for me, is much easier on the rings than on the bar.

I've worked on rings for a few months with muscle-ups, and pull-ups on the bars to develop strength a couple times a week. I'm pretty light, short, and lean (130lbs, 5'6", 13% body fat), so it makes it much easier. If you can do 5 or so strict pull-ups, you can definitely do muscle-ups- it's just a matter of technique.

I can't do strict muscle-ups, so a bigger kip is key in me getting up there.

Nuala:
For how long have you been training with the rings? Did you follow a program or just picked up some exercises at random?

Jake:
I haven't been paying a specifically long amount of time devoted solely to rings. Every couple weeks muscle-ups or MU progressions would appear on the WOD at the gym. It took about 2 months, or maybe four 20-minute sessions to get the muscle-up. However, starting out, I was already able to do below chest-to-bars, so I had a bit of skill going into it. For me, it was a bit of strength work but mostly technique.

As far as what I'd be doing... just MU progressions. Working on dips helps out. A lot of people think that the most difficult part of the ring MU is the dip. Going through the kipping movement from the floor and just understanding the way in which your body needs to move is definitely key.

Here's a video with some common MU drills for progression purposes.

And because we're such an organized bunch...this is where I got promoted to Assassin inquirer and took over the interview. ;)

Abtacha:
Since you're talking about WODs I assume you're doing cross fit. How long have you been doing that for? Do you have a favorite WOD?

Jake:
I started Crossfit in June. It was all very new to me. I've always been an active person, but not with heavy weights. (Although, to be fair, I often trade heavy weights for a quicker pace / heavier cardio during certain WODs.)

I haven't been doing it long enough to have done many WODs more than than once, but I tend to favor days that utilize body weight exercises and lower-body weights. (If I am lifting weights, I prefer deadlifts and squats since I'm pretty terrible at anything upper-body).

Abtacha:
Do you have a specific goal in mind now on the exercise front? Is there something you want to achieve now that you mastered the muscle-up? Or do you just want to improve your general fitness even more?

Jake:
Right now I think I'm still focusing on general fitness. But if I were to pick an area of specific interest, I think L-sits, hand balance, and more advanced ring movements would be at the top of my list.

Abtacha:
Those are great exercises! I'm looking forward to hearing about them in your future challenge threads.
So, what's your level 50? Can you give us a little taste?

Jake:
I really have no idea what Level 50 will be for me, to be honest. I'm not sure I even know what Level 10 will be. I come from a background in competitive alpine skiing, but haven't competed since college. Not having coaches all over me 24/7 has been tough. My reintegration into fitness in general has been a learning experience. Without something very specific to train for, I'm not sure where I'm going. I'll probably have to fall back in love with another sport to nail down what Level 50 is. I thought for a while it might be obstacle course racing, but that proved to be still a bit too running based. I've ran all my life and I'm sort of just bored with it. We'll see where this all takes me!

Abtacha:
We'll be excited to watch your progress wherever you end up.
So, we are at the end of our very first interview! It was great talking to you and very interesting to see where you are coming from and where you're headed in the near future.
Do you have any words of wisdom for your fellow assassins? Do you have a famous inspirational quote for us?

Jake:
No inspirational quote, unfortunately, but I do think that it's important for everyone to fall in love with whatever form of fitness they're participating in. This shouldn't feel like "work" and shouldn't be a "hassle." It should be habit. Once it's a habit, I think you've made your first big step.

Good luck, Assassins!
  • Like 3

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Most wanted assassins of the week #3

quietmuse_wanted.jpg

Quietmuse the greedy: Not satisfied with running a 5K. Decided to run a 10k instead! 

Last seen: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39426-quietmuse-comes-back-for-seconds/

MaxCurtis_2_wanted.jpg

Max Curtis the Brain: Finished NaNoWriMo! Making her 6-time completer of that challenge.

Last seen: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39366-max-curtis-goes-topsy-turvy/

CGM_wanted.jpg

Cgm the belt killer: Is down one more notch to his belt, making it 2 since he discovered NF!

Last seen: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39935-cgm-send-detritus/

Brader24_wanted.jpg

Brader24 the convict: Met the progression standard for jackknives in the Convict conditioning program

Last seen: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39201-brader24-recover/

norgaard_wanted.jpg

Norgaard the teacher: Got his first client to spread the rebellion philosophy around the world!

Lest seen: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40444-norgaard-an-assassasin-is-born-conquer-your-future/

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Awesome job guys, very inspiring!

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

Good job everyone! I still think this is the best thing I've seen since wandering into NF.

LVL 3 Half-Elf   |   Assassin-Ranger
STR 3.3 | CON 5.6 | DEX 4.4
WIS 4.7 | STA 5.6 | CHA 2.0

Level 1 - Into the Fray

Level 2 - Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Level 3 - A Slight Change in Direction

Achievements (Weight 132#)

Deadlift:     355 lbs

Back Squat:   250 lbs

Front Squat:  225 lbs

Clean & Jerk: 165 lbs

Snatch:       135 lbs

Bench:        140 lbs

Wow, I made the list the one week I didn't check the list, I feel silly. Ignoring that, well done everyone, our guild is so awesome!

Half-Giant Assassin Level 9

Current Challenge: Move

Past Challenges: First Challenge, Read the Prophecy, Follow the Prophecy, Get Serious Again, Upside Down, Running, Build a Bridge, Make it Fun,

"I have not failed 10,000 times; I have successfully found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

"I don't want to do it, therefore I must!" - Me

"If we win because we are a winner then when we lose it must make us a loser." - Josh Waitzkin

So looking forward to Camp Nerd Fitness, really hope I'll get to meet some fellow assassin there. Might have to be top secret though.

Nice work peeps!!

You guys are inspirational!

And I like the interview... neat idea!

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Assassin_Crest_320.png

A S S A S S I N S    U N C L O A K E D

Featured this week...KB Girl

photo-thumb-14947.jpg

Challenge thread here: http://rebellion.ner...-casual-player/

This level 4 Hobbit Assassin from the lovely Kingdom of Netherland recently became Dutch champion in kettlebell sport in the long cycle!

Abtacha:

So KB Girl, first of all congratulations on becoming the Dutch champion kb sport in the LongCycle! What does it feel like to be one step closer to your Main Quest: Become world champion in the kettlebell sport? And for those of us who are new to kettlebells can you briefly explain what the LongCycle is?

KB Girl:

Thank you, ironically I felt a bit lost right after the Dutch championships. It had been such a clear goal to work towards, it gave me great focus and I enjoyed that very much. Right now I'm floundering a bit, trying to figure out which competition to shoot for next... working on some long-term training plans as well. The next world championships will be in November 2014 in Germany!

LongCycle is a movement where you swing clean the kettlebell into a rack position and then jerk it above your head. A rep doesn't count unless you've stood still with a fully extended arm for at least 0.2 seconds. LongCycle as an event takes 10 minutes and is a simple event, where you try to do as many reps as you possibly can within that time. Only one catch; you cannot switch arms more than once and you cannot put the kettlebell down. 

Abtacha:

That sounds exciting! Are you qualified for those world championships already or do you have to enter another competition?

KB Girl:

Good question... unfortunately I'm not sure yet. The Netherlands isn't officially part of the "international union of kettlebell lifting" which organizes the world championships, YET. If that happens this year then I am qualified as the best Dutch lifter... though the Netherlands would probably get an amateur status and then I'd have to join another competition to get "pro status" anyway. We'll see.

Abtacha:

Let's hope they get their politics sorted out in time for you to compete. Another step closer to world domination! 
So how and when did you get started with the kettlebell sport? Any tips for newbies like myself?

KB Girl:

We had just started our own gym (in the backyard!) and I spend a lot of my free time just browsing and watching training videos. I first saw kettlebell lifting on the icechamber's website and thought that it looked pretty cool! That's when I started learning the snatch and clean&jerk (LongCycle). That was about 3.5 years ago and I started taking it "seriously" about two years ago.

My best tip is probably.....  if you can't get a good trainer then video yourself. Watch a lot of pro lifters on YouTube, then watch your own video. If you're brave enough let someone (me?) look at your video and give you some specific pointers.

Abtacha:

Good point, videos are a great tool.
Was this your first major competition or did you have other more regional ones before this one?
Oh, and one more question to the LongCycle. Does everyone use the same weight, is it always the same or are there different weight classes?
(You see I have no idea how this works   ;) )

KB Girl:

It's probably the least well known sport in the world? :tongue:

At the international (top) level there are bodyweight classes and women use either amateur kb weight (16kg) or you use 'pro' weight (24kg)… However depending on competition size they might forego bodyweight classes and simply use a formula to factor that in, or they might use different/more kettlebell weights. For example the Dutch championships had 18kg as pro and 12 as amateur. 

This was the second time I participated in the Dutch championships and I've also been to a small competition in Slovenia in July where I used the amateur weight (16kg) - it wasn't a big deal of a competition but there were some incredible lifters there, very inspirational!

Abtacha:

I hope we can help change that ;)

Just out of curiosity is kettlebell sport part of the Olympics or not? 

What sports or exercises are you doing besides kettlebells to prepare for your competitions and just to stay fit in general?

KB Girl:

Nope it's not part of the Olympics... I imagine it might be rather boring to watch, a bit like Olympic weightlifting. But there is a group lobbying for just that.

Leading up to the competition simply lifting kettlebells was 90% of what I did, along with some running. 

Now I'm trying to get stronger so I'm using some powerlifting and Olympic lifting for a while. I also do a lot of grip training, which I hate- so let's not talk about it ;)

To be a better mover in general I'm playing around with some stuff inspired by Ido Portal, some flows on the floor (floreio), some yoga, a lot of hanging around, some hand balancing- this helps a lot with strengthening shoulders, elbows and wrists which I really need. And it's just fun. Fun is good!

Abtacha:

Not going to mention grip training in your presence ever again ;)

It's great you're having fun with your workout, that's very important.

So, we know what your Main Quest is and I'm sure that's part of your Level 50. Wanna give us a sneak peek at what else you're working towards?

KB Girl:

My level 50 has everything to do with movement quality. I want to be an excellent mover, have perfect control, be able to do anything I want to. Handstands and muscle ups are a part of this, but so is kettlebell lifting or Olympic lifting or even climbing. I don't care about being the strongest or fastest, but I care about having the best technique, the best quality of movement. 

Anyone who knows me knows my extreme focus on technique- I am actually not very strong or very fit, but I will win against people fitter and stronger than me because my technique is better. 

My level 100 would look something like this:

Abtacha:

Wow, I love it! You can see how lots of effort and training pay off in the end. I think it's awesome that you're not focusing on kettlebells alone just because you happen to be good with them, but have all kinds of different movements in your routine and in your future exercise goals.
It was great talking to you! Do you have any words of wisdom or a favorite inspirational quote to share with your fellow assassins?

KB Girl:

Umm… Don't let yourself get too overwhelmed by watching great movers. You might think "holy shit I could never do that"... but you probably can, you just gotta start somewhere, anywhere. Don't get caught up in trying to plan all the way to lvl 50. Just start with lvl 1, 2 and maybe 3. The rest will follow.

This is something I have to tell myself every day and especially every time I want to try something new/different.

Abtacha:

Well said! Thank you for the interview.

• Like 3

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Congratulations to everyone!! All those accomplishments look amazing and we are all proud of you!

Also, that movement video from the interview is absolutely mesmerizing! ! That would be so great to be able to do all those tricks!!

Quest: Run, aerial silks, handbalancing, and Roue Cyr

Life Goal: Professional cirque performer (secret identity) and Data engineer

That mobility video is crazy amazing! I'd love for that to be my level 100... but more like level 300.

• Like 1

LVL 3 Half-Elf   |   Assassin-Ranger
STR 3.3 | CON 5.6 | DEX 4.4
WIS 4.7 | STA 5.6 | CHA 2.0

Level 1 - Into the Fray

Level 2 - Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Level 3 - A Slight Change in Direction

Achievements (Weight 132#)

Deadlift:     355 lbs

Back Squat:   250 lbs

Front Squat:  225 lbs

Clean & Jerk: 165 lbs