Ranger Mini Challenge: COMPLETED

Hammlin

Call to Arms

3613009-DSC00803.JPG

Sitting alone in your small village's meadow, daydreaming of days gone by, you are jolted awake by a loud THWAP on the tree behind you. As you look over your shoulder you see a scroll pinned under an arrow. You jump up and look around, but there is nothing to see- your peaceful field is eerily silent...

You turn back to the tree, remove the scroll, and begin to read...

Dear traveler:

This letter is a final desperate plea for help and assistance- if it should reach you, fate has desired to bring us together. For many months the people of our land have been tormented, by what we aren't certain. Something comes in the veil of the night- it haunts our children, steals our livestock, and murders our citizens. No one in our land is safe. We have taken every defensive precaution we can imagine, to no avail. It would appear that offence is our only choice, yet our fighters are few. We are a small farming community, and it would take months or years to raise up a regimen of soldiers- by then we will all be dead.

We are begging for your help; we need strong men and women to venture into the lands just beyond our village, find the horrible creature (whatever it is), and help bring peace to our land.

In exchange for your help we are able to offer supplies and food- we just need to you get here. Fast.

If you will consider standing in the gap for us, we are organizing a party to head into the hills in a weeks’ time (Sunday at sun down.) We will meet at Althriam’s Mead Hall- where you can sign your name and pledge your allegiance. Please, if you will, get your affairs in order and make the journey to our peaceful village. There isn't much time!

In desperation,

The People of Truaant

Rangers:

With the start of another 6 week challenge, we are taking a dive into the world of RPG for the next few weeks to complete some mini challenges. These are designed to be a fun accompaniment to your regular goals. If what the mini is asking would put you in conflict with yourself (cause that's always fun), feel free to modify in a way that makes it practical for you to participate.

This Week’s Tasks:

1. Sign your name on This Roster indicating that you intend to participate in the challenge. This will help us to gauge and scale goals in the following weeks.
  2. Get your affairs in order. We are now in the second week of the 6 week challenge. Go through your goals and make sure you are clear on what you expect from yourself over the remaining 5 weeks, so that when mini challenges arise, you will know if they are something you can roll in to your existing plan.
  3. Have fun. These goals are design to be fun and engaging. Feel free to role play in this thread to get your character going. ((Role playing is not a requirement- you are more than welcome to sign the roster and simply participate!)) If the challenges are not in your realm of physical capabilities, modify them so that they suit your level of fitness.

Fun for all Huzzah!

• Like 2

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Not really at you... more so at the tree behind your head. But it appears they got your attention... ;)

My Blog | My Story

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Terinatum suns herself in a moment of laziness. It's been a week on this new journey and time is ticking. But here and now all is -

"Thwap!! "

"What the hell?"  Terinatum's neck cracks loudly as she spins around. An arrow protrudes from the large oak at the start of the path she just came from. She's seen this before. "I'm a Ranger, fool. You don't put holes in trees and expect good humor from me, jeez."  She looks around knowing she'll see nothing. As she moves to the tree, she sees the familiar letter pinned under the arrow. She pats the oak gently and carefully pulls the arrow out. Once the arrow is out, and letter in hand, she breaks the arrow over her knee and drops it to the ground.

As Terinatum reads, it becomes apparent that there is a crisis nearby. "A monster? Hum…"  She tries not to smile, forgetting she's alone, but a small turn of her lip shows her excitement. "A fight!"  It had been awhile since she did more than run the hills. This could be good for her as well as the townsfolk of Truaant.

Terinatum runs down the path, back to her hovel and considers the fastest way to Truaant. "The gorge!" Her breath turns to the rough rhythm that keeps time with her cadence. It's a familiar and loving thing to her. She smiles and runs faster.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

[This is strangely like DejaVu....the D&D campaign before this last one started very similarly to this haha]

'The letter dangles in my hand, huh, I think. Adventure...excitement, just what I need to put my new found strength to practice. Quickly, I begin to gather up my meager supplies, already thinking of my route to the Mead Hall - it's somewhere I know well. With my pack on my back and my leather armour restrapped, I set off towards the path, hoisting myself up and over a low rock wall, before I begin the long walk to Truuant.'

Good? 

Excited for it :D

• Like 1

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

[This is strangely like DejaVu....the D&D campaign before this last one started very similarly to this haha]

'The letter dangles in my hand, huh, I think. Adventure...excitement, just what I need to put my new found strength to practice. Quickly, I begin to gather up my meager supplies, already thinking of my route to the Mead Hall - it's somewhere I know well. With my pack on my back and my leather armour restrapped, I set off towards the path, hoisting myself up and over a low rock wall, before I begin the long walk to Truuant.'

Good? 

Excited for it :D

Ooooh maybe you have a clairvoyance skill??? *grabs her notepad*

My Blog | My Story

totally going to revamp a goal. (even though i'm playing with the warriors right now.)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Hammi crams the note in her back pocket and stands still for a moment. To stay or to go...

Whoever found me must think that I have some skill of value, but it wouldn't be uncommon do me to go running off into a dangerous situation. I frequently bite off way more than I can chew- this is probably no different...

Slowly gathering her things she takes stock of her surroundings before heading off at a stead clip to the north...

My Blog | My Story

Ugh! Funny shooty stick just missed, stick in tree. Pull out. Crackly paper no taste good. Has funny marks. Will find pesky human to make marks into talking, tell Orcwarrior what say. Bonk human with club if no tell. Must find out. Smells like weird human quest ahead. (shuffles away)

• Like 3

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

*Opening one eye he tracks the archer's movement off in the distance. Too far to be worth chasing after. Pulling back his hood, he sits up from his respite and glances up at the arrow still trembling in the tree above him. Sighing, he climbs to his feet and pulls the arrow out, briefly inspecting the shaft and fletching to see if its owner is easily distinguished. Slipping it into his own quiver, he unfurls the parchment and reads on.*

"Ah... trouble in Truaant. I guess a change of scenery is in order, however brief."

*Grabbing his own bow and pulling his hood back up into position to block the glare of the sun from his eyes, he sets off in the direction the other archer left by."

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Dear People of Truaant,

Don't you know that there are nicer and less ironic ways to ask for a ranger's help?  For instance, one could simply wait until the ranger has woken up from the nap, that they have earned saving the last village from disaster, and give them the letter.  Also have you given consideration that there are other villages that might have scheduled our services before you did?  I guess given the apparent nature of your "emergency" I can lend a hand.  Count me in.

Sincerely, 

Mikroftt the Elif Ranger

• Like 3

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

Glad I remembered mini-challenges before it was too late! Just signed up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

â‚Level 2 - Human Rangerâ‚

Strength: 0 | Dexterity: 0 | Stamina: 0 | Constitution: 3 | Wisdom: 5 | Charisma: 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." ~Albert Einstein

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.†~Aldous Huxley

Current Challenge

Lets be friends:

Facebook Xbox Live

Make Haste

medieval-tavern-u-krale-brabantskeho-6.j

There is a buzz throughout the walls of the small village pub you've been called to. As you look around you see varied types of creatures- elves, humans, lycans, and even an orc… dawn hasn't even broken and the adventurers around you are already vibrant and awake.

They all appear to be waiting, but the look on everyone’s face is different. Some are expectant and excited while others look downright pissed off.

All you keep thinking of is the task at hand. You aren't sure what you signed up for, just that you committed to something dangerous and great- the bounty should get you through the entire year. You need this.

As you’re scanning the audience, you notice a figure in the shadows, who appears to be people watching, just like you. Before you can get a good glimpse of the shadow walker your attention is snapped up front as a tiny man jumps onto the bar top.

“Good travelers- thank you all so much for coming. I know our means of communication were unconventional, and for that I apologize, but our people are desperate. Night after night we suffer- the terror overwhelms us all beyond what we can bear.

We do have a few scouts out on the trails who have been tracking the beast from a distance, but there are only just a few of them and they couldn't handle this on their own. They maintain such a distance that they cannot even make out what it might be.

The beast appears to be coming from the north- and after it’s had its fill of our people it promptly returns to its lair.

You will need to be swift with getting there, travel lasting longer than a day will get you in his path. Should you not make it to the beast by nightfall, be sure to take cover in the trees and bushes.

You will be led by our only ranger, Kelvann. He is a man of few words, but he will take you where you need to go to battle this… thing…”

With that the small man hops off the counter and rushes to the bar's kitchen. As you all look around for the ranger who will lead you, the shadow man who had been sizing everyone up, stands. The barkeep comes back out with packages of rations and other supplies. As everyone loads up their gear, Kelvann, who has been gazing out the window the whole time, merely says “Come” and you’re off.

Rangers:

The focus for this week is speed! Whether you choose to use HIIT or fartleks or something else, you need to do 3 workout components fast. The object is to work these into multiple workouts, so doing all 3 on one day would be counterproductive! 

** Various Loot will be awarded, for those who are role playing, to be used in upcoming weeks**

Tasks:

1. Complete 3 speed based workouts by next Monday.
  2. Report how many you accomplish in the tracking document
  3. Travel swiftly and cautiously- with Thanksgiving (for those in the US) happening this week, be sure to not get distracted from the task at hand. If you get stuck out in the path, the beast may take you!

My Blog | My Story

I stick in the middle of the group, keeping my eye on those around me; mostly on Kelvann. We are a large group, and I wonder just how dangerous a beat could be that so many are needed. I find my eyes passing up and down him, he's attractive to be sure, there are obviously tight muscles beneath his tunic, but his eyes seem distant, and I wonder just what horrors he has seen, and to what he is leading us toward.

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

*Standing from a table in the corner, he waits for most of the crowd to filter out before follow. Hanging behind, he is able to size up both the group and its leader, a ranger much like himself.*

Interesting... we'll see how this quest plays out.

*He keeps pace but remains silent as he walks near the back of the pack.*

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

It was unusual for Ceasefire to take orders from others, but she was willing to give anything a try at least once. Money was tight, food was scarce and honestly, she found herself bored more often than not and the uncertainty of the task ahead excited her in ways only secrets do. The air about the pub was ripe with sweat, alcohol and the vague sent of fear. Fear of the unknown, perhaps. Or fear of what they already knew. North was such a general direction, she hoped that they had a little more information than they announced. The short man who had just used the bar top as his soap box hadn't interested her any, but this Kelvann figure gave her mind something to muse. Why was he fit enough to lead the group? What did he know about the thing that the rest did not?

Wearily, she heaved her heavy hammer onto her back and tightened the strap across her chest. Shrugging her shoulders a few times to get accustomed to the weight, she offered little more than a nod in the general direction of the group and took her position at the back of the pack. To keep an eye on everything ahead, and that which might even lurk behind...

(I feel like I'm somewhat cheating on this challenge as I'm doing a HIIT daily every day for my entire 6 weeks. Even more reason to go at it hard, I suppose!)

• Like 1

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

So... no weapons then.  Knives would be too dangerous to use with burpees.  I could probably use a shield to add weight to jump squats though. I don't have a shield,  but if I did I could use it.

I hope Kelvann can keep up.

Level 19 Ranger Monk 

Str- 10, Dex-8, Sta-7, Con-11, Wis-78, Cha-43

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

I don't think Hobbes would approve of Kelvann... having seen the man however, he looks trust worthy enough.  I will have to keep a close eye on him.  I already move with speed and purpose so really I have to ask, "Can Kelvann keep up?"

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

I don't start following Kelvann immediately. I don't trust these people. I don't really need the money, but I am bored. And I am all for a chance at winning more glory. I am fully expecting some sort of trap. So many people called for one beast? That seems unlikely. I will keep an eye on this Kelvann, but it will be me that fells the beast. 

I decide to pick up my bow and show these people what running means. I will not let them get there before me.

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Before CombatBoot followed Kelvann out of the pub, he went over his gear one last time. His pack was filled with enough food to last for a few days and he had all his other essentials with him. He buckled on his longsword, strung his bow, and with that, he was ready. 

When he went out of the pub he joined the group somewhere in the middle and looked around. He knew this wasn't going to be easy as the terrain they would be traversing was rough, and they would be moving fast. Still, he didn't feel disheartened, as they were with a large group of which everyone seemed like they could handle themselves. Surely this beast couldn't best all of them?

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Terinatum hesitates a moment. "Did you see that?" She asks a Ranger next to her, but they either didn't hear her or they are too enmeshed in their experience of this moment. Whatever caught her eye was gone. She gazes around only to see a small man pop up on a table top and begin to speak. 'No name, why am I not surprised? These folks have had the crap beat out of them, physically and spiritually. Death is one horror, but watching, witnessing, surviving, that's another monster all together.' She envied none of them.

The crowd seemed committed enough although a few grumbles could be heard from nowhere in particular. 'If North is pretty unknown to these people, why are we being escorted?' Doesn't really matter, but it's interesting how they know just enough to get us into trouble.'

Terinatum shrugs off the tension growing inside and grabs food from the pile. Her stores were empty when she got here so this was wonderful. She moves off with the others not terribly concerned where she ended up in the pack. A few hung back quite on purpose so she decided her ass was covered by them. Rangers don't turncoat easily. She could trust them this much at least.

The path North was a mix of homes and fields. Obvious damage was still a reminder to these people. She passes a barn that was recently collapsed and had burnt on this side at least. She knew it was important when she read the letter, but now it was real, and urgent. Her muscles were warm from the run to get here so the pace was easy enough… for now.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

[today I did my very first ever! HIIT workout - I've never done any before...that is to say I might have done, but I've never gone out my way to do it. Just want to say, that I'm really, really fucking tired!]

How long have I been walking then sprinting, then walking then sprinting. The pain is starting to seep into my muscles, and for a moment I regret not being more fully prepared for this task before I agreed upon the uptake. But then I see how the rest of the Rangers around me press on, and I see Kelvann, watching to see just who will be weak and drop out, and my resolve strengthens. I will aid in the slaying of the best, and the glory shall be mine.

[also, jsyk, I am LOVING this RPing I've really missed my regular weekly D&D games lately, so this is awesome, if it does make me miss both my elven druid (she likes shiny things and her wolf, Geoff) and my half elf swashbuckler haha]

• Like 1

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines