Stuck in weight loss limbo...

primalnerd

I have been following a paleo lifestyle for over a year now, and, wow, the results have been amazing!  Not only have I lost a ton of weight, but my health is better than it has ever been in my life.  I marvel at how different I feel today than what I felt like over a year ago.  That being said, I am becoming concerned with a weight loss "plateau" that I have been stuck at for the past three months.

Background:  Sex: Female.  Age: 29.  Height: 5'4".  Weight: 215 lbs.

Diet:  I follow a strict paleo diet (out of necessity: I am intolerant to grains, dairy, eggs, nightshades, and various other things).  I also practice intermittent feeding where I limit my daily caloric consumption to a 6-8 hour time window.  My daily caloric intake is approximately 1600 calories; sometimes more, sometimes less - it depends on my hunger levels.  I don't go below 1200 calories nor exceed 2000 calories (which would be really hard to eat that much on a strict paleo diet.  At least for me, anyways).  I try to limit my intake of fruits to no more than two servings daily.

Exercise:  I do strength circuit workouts three times a week, sprints once a week, and lots of low impact cardio.

After hitting a huge weight loss goal in early August, I have gone from losing 8-12 pounds a month to fluctuating within 5 pounds of my current weight over the past three months.  Now, I am aware from research that the body can take a month or so to stabilize itself after some weight loss.  I do notice that while the scale numbers are not going down, my body has different composition; namely, I am getting more muscle  definition and my cloth size is shrinking (albeit ever so slowly).  I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to help jumpstart my system back into weight loss mode or if there's something I'm doing wrong that is sabotaging my weight loss efforts.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Try removing the fruit and starch from your diet and replace it with saturated fat.

Also look at measurements and photos more than just scales.

I now weigh the same as 2 months ago, but, looking at photos it looks like I lost 5kg because I gained a fair amount of muscle.

Race: Hobbit

Class: Warrior

Level: 3

STR: 12 DEX: 3 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Check out my first challenge! http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38158-lawrences-super-adventure/

Yes, take a break from the diet. Increase your carb intake (sweet potato etc) and eat at maintenance for a little while. I'm in the same boat as you, but I've been stuck for about 5 months.

As of last Wednesday I ditched paleo completely and am eating at my maintenance level. I've lost 2 lbs and it's not been a full week yet.

:)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thank you for the suggestions.  I honestly cannot take a break from my diet (nor do I want to) because of all the food intolerances I have.  Plus, I really don't view it as a diet in the sense that you eat this way temporarily; I really see it as a permanent lifestyle change, one that is infinitely better than what I've done previously.  I think I may try the elimination of fruits for awhile and see how that goes.  As for starches, I don't eat any right now; for carbs, I have upped my consumption of vegetables to some degree.  I'll look into seeing what all fats I can add in.  Any suggestions as to what would be good replacements for the loss in calories from the fruit?

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions.  I honestly cannot take a break from my diet (nor do I want to) because of all the food intolerances I have.  Plus, I really don't view it as a diet in the sense that you eat this way temporarily; I really see it as a permanent lifestyle change, one that is infinitely better than what I've done previously.  I think I may try the elimination of fruits for awhile and see how that goes.  As for starches, I don't eat any right now; for carbs, I have upped my consumption of vegetables to some degree.  I'll look into seeing what all fats I can add in.  Any suggestions as to what would be good replacements for the loss in calories from the fruit?

That is the way I look at Paleo. If I can eat this well and lose, maintaining should be easy. This is now my lifestyle!