Declaration of Independence

DinoBytes

Okay, so I typed this up the day this challenge began and I did start, but I didn't post this for whatever reason. But here it is; my declaration of independence!

I'm 21 and 140lbs. I've always been doing some kind of sport and therefore didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to what I was fueling myself with. The title reflects my finally taking a hold of that "freshman 15" so to speak... after joining the military I had my first long term food responsibility and I didn't have recreational sports to rely on for fitness. Thus... I put on an inch or two around the belly. I still felt strong but I finally realized that I must consciously make an effort in my diet and in my fitness to be capable of performing anything to the best of my ability. The following is my grading criteria for the next 6 weeks, but I hope to make this challenge a stepping stone for a more conscious lifestyle.

My goal is to be fit for my homecoming to my family from Deployment and be comfortable with my body without feeling hungry constantly.

Main Quest:

Start Paleo, progress further into yoga postures and lose a few inches.

Goals:

1. Go to the gym and workout at least 4x per week

A = > 5x per week

B = 4x per week

C = 3x per week

D = 2x per week

F = < 1x per week

2. Complete a yoga session 3 times a week

A = 3x

B = 2x with addtl practice

C = 2x

D = once

F = Not at all

3. Reduce intake of foods that fall outside of the Paleo diet to 3x week at most

A = < 1x a week

B =  2x a week

C =  3x a week

D =  5x a week

F = > 5x a week

Life Quest: Meditate for at least 15 minutes a day

A = > 6x a week

B =  5x a week

C =  3x a week

D =  2x a week

F = < 1x a week

Gym regimen and weekly grade out updated daily here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AveGObWP-XrjdHVUeTF3RG5WYlRZWjNDeng4MFJFUVE&usp=sharing

Motivation: so that I can say honestly and with confidence the following about myself...

I feel strong

I am spiritually centered

I am not embarrassed about my body

I am one in mind, spirit, body, and soul.

• Like 1

Quest: Run, aerial silks, handbalancing, and Roue Cyr

Life Goal: Professional cirque performer (secret identity) and Data engineer

Numerically speaking here's how week one went:

I want to say that this was a busy week, but really it only started out rough.

Fitness: D

I traveled for work on the 11th and then took a few days to get settled and figure out the gym hours/getting work schedule to match the gym's (not always in my control)

Diet: C

I did better with the diet. I'm not happy with the grade, but I'll take it over the next category;

Life: F

I was just lazy.. that's all there is to it. I know I can and will do better, but there it is. I just didn't last week.

Average: F

So overall, rough start to the challenge, I don't think I have lofty goals however. I know I set my standards at an achievable level and last week I just didn't achieve. BUT I will do better and learn from this. Seeing the results as I grade myself out is a great accountability tool and it shows me exactly where I'm slacking. No cheating here folks! Honest to goodness failed week for me. Time to brush off the dust though this week I'm already doing much better!

Stay tuned for more..

Okay, so I kinda messed up in the gym and life goal areas last week. but the diet started out no problem! I didn't have any cravings or anything!

Well my friends, this week is pretty much polar opposite of last week. the gym is easier to schedule around this week, and I'm getting my solo time meditating away, but the food!

it seems like each time I'm with people they have some giant gooey pizza or peanut butter, or pringles, or goldfish, or well you get the idea. normally I cook the night before and bring plenty to work, but I haven't had a chance lately to get to the produce store and the only thing I have large quantities of are eggs and canned salmon/tuna which I don't have an issue with, but it's not a great snack alternative time and time again.

anyways. I've been bad with the peanut butter... and with the yogurt... like... really bad.. I think I ate a fist sized portion of peanut butter all in all in the last two days. So hard to resist when everyone else is munching on something!!

grr hopefully this food jealousy won't last all week.

Hey DinoByte!  Ugh, that's so hard when everyone around you is eating pizza, etc. when you're trying to stick to a specific diet.  I used to love/hate when my roommates bought one of those gigantic cartons of goldfish because I would keep eating and eating them and hardly even make a dent in the 10 pound carton haha. . . I'm trying out this Paleo diet too and have been on it strictly for about a week--I've never had dreams about food before but I've 3 in the past 8 days!!! My cravings for bread have pretty much disappeared now so maybe it's just getting through the initial phase of AHH I CAN'T EAT THIS AND THEREFORE I WANT IT SO BAD.  Maybe you could try embracing your nut butter addiction by pairing it with baby carrots, bananas, or celery!  I wish you the best in meeting (and exceeding!) your goals and expectations----Good luck!!! ;) 

• Like 1

thank so much! It's pretty great knowing you're in the same boat with other people.. I feel like such an alien not eating what literally everyone else in the room is eating. AND I successfully made it to the store today (snagged a ride into town during lunch) and I picked up ALMOND BUTTER oh my gosh. best thing since sliced bread... er... since paleo? I can't wait to have farmers market access whenever I please (only 3 days left!!)

Alright, I keep track of all my workouts here and update it after the gym, (and there is where you can find all of the step by step progress I've been making) what I am giddy about today however, is not on that chart. I usually do a solid gymnastics/yoga cool down after my workouts which include this ridiculous thing. I started out, about a month ago, falling over each time I tried to go back around to the back bend position. But now, (oh the glory) I can do exactly what Kino is doing in her video! Including bringing my legs back over slow an controlled from behind!

But wait! there's more! after all that hip flexure, my splits have become increasingly more comfortable to the point where I've started to work oversplits more. I've played with handstands so much now that I can start working back and front walkover (I still need maybe 2 inches or so of padding to kick up from the middle of the back walkover, but I went down from starting out at 5 inches so... there's that)

I can't wait to see where I am when this challenge is over! who knows, maybe I could finally get that V press to handstand (lofty goal) or maybe the handstand splits? I've never been able to do splits unassisted by tht wall or floor... but maybe this is the chapter of my life where that happens, who knows! anything is possible!

*to keeping the faith*

Have you tried almond butter with cinnamon and mashed up sweet potato? Best Paleo dessert I've had to date!

Thank you so much! I think I've been practicing ashtanga yoga for maybe 6 months now. I sort of converted from the three years of school gymnastics that I had been doing before. About two years ago I stopped because I didn't have any apparatus to continue on... but I kept practicing splits and other stuff just so I didn't lose all of my flexibility. I kind of dabbled in hatha and bikram before while in gymnastics but I didnt really get hooked until now.

Here's an example of a v press to handstand... and here's my practice at it.. I'm getting better but i cant get up without the wall yet. but a little bit each day, and I'll have it someday!

Hey, great job so far. It seems like the druids would be lucky to have you with your yoga prowess.

Oh, and thanks for the tasty sounding paleo recipe, I need to go find some almond butter now!

Pip-Boy read-out: Level 3 Sentinel:  S(STR)- 3 | P(CON)- 6 | E(STA)- 7 | C(CHA)- 6.5 | I(WIS)- 8 | A(DEX)- 4.5 | L(LUC)

Scratched on the case are the words- "You don't need a reason to help people".

Ah see, I'm still not sure if I'm an assassin or a druid.. the yoga certainly points that way, but that was a sort of adaptation from my gymnastics background. So with the rock climbing/cliff jumping too, I'm torn in two directions!

I was thinking next challenge I'll sort of follow both druid/assassin mini challenges? and pick one each week or alternate or something. I dunno I haven't decided yet.

And as far as recipes go, I'm sort of an experimental chef/baker I fell in love with baking when I was younger. From crepes and tarts to éclairs and soufflés I was baking something delicious when I had time. So all this paleo stuff kind of creates a crazy cooking challenge too. no more flour means a constant change in ingredients! But it's not impossible...

I also wonder what everyone thinks of this almond flour stuff.. it's not grain but it is refined isn't it? so wouldn't that technically be a disqualifying factor? or does everyone use it anyways? That and Quinoa. It's a seed, but paleo people still debate over it... so what's the answer?!

I'm definitely trying that sweet potato recipe tomorrow!! One dessert I've been enjoying occasionally is "paleo ice cream"--freeze a banana and a handful of strawberries, throw them in the blender with a little bit of coconut milk and a bit of vanilla.  So good! 

Your v press is looking really good, you have a great sense of balance and poise so I'm sure it will come together very soon!!

I haven't tried almond flour yet but have seen a few paleo baking recipes online that use it--I bought coconut flour last week but have been a bit wary to try it. . . From what I could tell in my research these "flours" seem okay--often people use a combo of both in recipes to get the best texture.  Not sure about the quinoa!!  

Im going to try that paleo icecream that sounds awesome! And thank you for your generous compliments haha its pretty encouraging having an audience.

I think I'll try some of the coconut flour when i get back (ON THE WAY NOW!! We finish our journey tomorrow night) that sounds a bit less sketch than almond flour..

This week's summary:

week 2

I am proud to say that this week was a strong comeback and I believe I owe my success to you beautiful people. Simply remembering that I have an "audience" to report back to is REALLY powerful for this stuff!

Fitness: A!!

I hit up the gym each day and it felt so good to take a break day on purpose. Today I literally flew all day long and that was pretty uncomfortable but I loosened up with some handstand practice and a brief yoga session. 

Diet: B

I took a solid trip to the market and picked up enough food to last through the end of the week and even enough to take along some salmon cakes on the trip today.

Life: C+

I got a lot of time in this week and I felt much more peaceful and centered for the remainder of the day.

Average: B

A big comeback for me this week. I plan to keep this level for the remainder of the challenge (which I believe will be no problem now that I have this new mentality) the biggest challenge I have this week is traveling all day tomorrow (pretty impossible for paleo and the gym) but I'll plan on hitting up the farmers markets ASAP and cooking up a storm. I'll also be hunting for a new place this week. hopefully near the rock gym and yoga studio in Honolulu.

Thank you everyone for having my back!

looking forward to another awesome week (this time in Hawaii)

sorry for the delay this week, I am back in Hawaii and, though this makes mobile communication and reading everyone elses posts a breeze, it makes uploading photos and posting myself a pain.. but next week I move into my new apartment (signed the lease today!) and I'll have internet again where I can get back to my usual organization standards.

so here we go with the weekly:

Fitness: B

The gym this week was a thing of the past. I swapped  out my regular gym routine for some surfing and boogie boarding on the north shore, we also went for some long runs and swims. not a bad change of pace!

Diet: B

It is incredibly hard to eat paleo without a stove. if you buy those caveman bars from the store... they still have soy syrup (whatever that is) and I'm sure there's added sugar in a bunch of that stuff... the raw almond packets and fruit are pretty much the ONLY safe bets aside from water in the store.. I bought some eggs and avacado today trying to make some guacamole devilled eggs just for a snack on the go.. making use of the microwave that I do have. next week I'll have a stove and an oven so this is a two week ordeal here... and that means nuts and fruits? I have been trying to keep my carbs below 50g a day... but that is sounding rather impossible these two weeks. I hope this doesn't completely counteract my efforts for this challenge... sooo many calories (I've been counting)

Life: C

Lots of business this week. and by business I mean being busy... not just with work. Things should settle down shortly after moving in... but then I go on leave for the holidays and that will be a whole different kind of challenge!

Average: C+

desperately trying to maintain this week... even though the scores are alright... I know that my score in the diet category is actually not representing my desire. I went way above the carb limit with fuits and nuts because I was hungry and that was the only thing in the store that was paleo!

I'm going to try to plan ahead a little more this week with the microwave and borrowing my friend's stoves (they already moved in) so hopefully this week can be a little better in the face of this situation...

on a positive note, I have been finding lots of new paleo dishes to try also! I hosted an all paleo thanksgiving (with the exception of wines we brought back from Italy) it was so amazing. I will post pictures and recipes up soon!

(my regular chart can be found updated at the same link, I'll post the weekly summary photo when I move in on Sunday though)

stay tuned!...

Moving/travelling makes it tough to maintain good nutrition and exercise. Looks like you've done quite well despite this, good job.

Also, paleo thanksgiving sounds interesting. If I was in charge of that, I'd probably just do something boring like a turkey and a mountain of vegetables. I look forward to the photos!

Pip-Boy read-out: Level 3 Sentinel:  S(STR)- 3 | P(CON)- 6 | E(STA)- 7 | C(CHA)- 6.5 | I(WIS)- 8 | A(DEX)- 4.5 | L(LUC)

Scratched on the case are the words- "You don't need a reason to help people".

Thanks! It was definitely a great time.

Here are the recipes, I usually just go by taste so I don't use a lot of measuring unless I'm baking.. which I might do soon with almond or coconut flour.

Avocado devilled eggs (same thing I posted on Silkie' s page):

A few avocado mashed

Hardboiled eggs sliced lengthwise

Yolks mashed with avocados

cyanne pepper or sirracha

lemon or lime juice, salt/pepper

I added almond butter also adds a smokey flavor I love

After mixing everything sufficiently Plop a good dollop of the mix in the yolk spots in the egg halves

And there you have it. Garnish with lime slices or avocado slices whatever!

I paired it with salmon which was fantastic.

Salmon Cakes: (I took this recipe from this wwebsie:

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-salmon-cakes/

But I modified it into my own version. Mine is a little more simple if you don't count the crazy amount of spices I usually add)

sweet potato cooked and mashed

Chopped parsley

chopped onion

lemon juice

(I go a little crazy in the spice cabinet here and add almost everything, but here's a more refined list)

Sirracha or cyanne

salt

cumin

paprika

ground black pepper

Garlic powder or garlic

A few eggs

And Salmon

I like to crush some rosemary in the mixture sometimes and leave a sprig for a garnish

Mix all that stuff up until it's well blended, then pack some in a 1/4 cup measuring cup and scoop that out onto a fry pan (olive oil can be good here too) you can form it with a spatula to be more like a patty, and flip it when it starts getting brown on the bottom repeat until you have a bunch of salmon cakes!

I take these with me on the plane so I like them cold or warm, but I think they're better warm

Week 4:

Fitness: A!

I made it to the gym twice this week, and

Went boogie boarding a few times. Then yesterday I had an aerial silks class and I also paid a visit to the waikiki acro troupe which was a lot of fun. I didn't think I could stand on someone's shoulders or flip from front to back on someone else's feet. (These among other things) but I guess with all that gymnastics background hidden away in the past, it all came out in a blaze of glory! They invited me to their weekly practices and I can't wait to get back on the spring floor tumbling again!

Food: F :(

The ingredients lists always hide the sugar or the wheat at the very end... I didn't have very much, but I do feel tricked into ingesting rice a few times... but today I have a stove once again and I scrambled a quick egg and avocado breakfast this morning. Delightful. This week is destined for greatness in this category so I don't feel too bad... though all that fruit and nut eating stacked my calories pretty high...

Life: A!

It is much easier to have a morning meditation now that I'm not on call and I no longer have a roommate. This was just easy and I felt it all this week. Spiritually, mentally and physically.

Overall: B-

This week was my last week without a stove and I struggled, but I'm excited to be able to fully commit again to paleo.

I moved into my beautiful bungalow yesterday! I am so lucky. Two blocks from the beach, a spacious bedroom, beautiful kitchen my neighbor even built me a little shelter for my motorcycle and painted it orange to match! (He's a contractor) I unpacked everything and it already feels like home. And the commute is perfect. I couldn't ask for more. This is going to be the best week yet I can feel it!

It looks like you've had an exciting week, esp moving into your new place!!! SO close to the beach!  (and hooray for having a stove!) The aerial class sounds fun and a great way to keep in shape.  There was an aerial troupe at my college that did amazing performances and I always thought it looked so graceful yet thrilling.  

I have a fun little update to post today! Last night at acro practice, I was on a spring floor for the first time in two years! AND there was a guy there that was totally up for spotting me to get back into my back handsprings. I was able to do the standing backhand spring and the round off backhand spring pretty decently and after a bit of practice I'm certain I can knock those out again no problem. He said my form was still good and I had the muscle memory still! I also got to try some hand balance work on the apparatus and I got to work with the silks too! I don't have a firm partnership with anyone yet, but I have found a few girls interested in a trio and I met a lot of guys who didn't have partners either. So we'll see about that. But I am very happy to have my back and front walkovers and seeing progress in my v press to handstand!!

And I'm giddy all over again.

Woo! That's amazing! I've always had a hard time finding a place where I'd feel comfortable going as an adult to practice tumbling/gymnastics casually. I'm jelly.

• Like 1

Formerly "Silkie" the Level 3 Ranger - now respawning as "Arcanis" the Monk ...

First Challenge   Holiday Mini-Challenge   Second Challenge  Third Challenge (Incomplete) Fourth Challenge (Incomplete)

Post-Respawn:  Fifth Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines