• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ceasefire

Benefits of Paleo...if only for 6 weeks?

Possibly worth adding............ I lost about 30 pounds changing to something resembling paleo (including the Whole 30) and walking.  Took a little more than 3 months. 

Also worth adding ................. right after that I went back to my old eating and gained 15lbs back before I could blink.  I caught myself and have straightened back out so I'm headed back down.  But I am just saying that if you are asking if doing paleo for a specific period of time will help, it will but if you return to your old ways, it was time wasted.

After 6 weeks, you may discover that you actually prefer it and won't want to 'go back'.

Take a look at Marksdailyapple.com. The recipes on that site are outstanding! I've tried many of them and they are pretty much spot on. Can really get you excited about cooking.

Really?  That's pretty cool.

Oh yeah.

It was one of those things I had read and filed away in my mind, and kinda forgot about.

'Till one day after one of those long fasted walks, I was sitting at my desk and felt this weird sensation beside my belly button. It was kinda itchy-burning, but itching it did nothing, it wasn't the skin that was itchy. Squeezing it made the itch go away but increased the burning feeling.

And I remembered what I had filed away in my mind. Looked it up, yup, that is exactly what it was.

Is the 12 hour minimum fasting enough or do you need more than 12 hours? (14, 16, ...)

Thanks for the detailed explanation! When you say 'fasted', though, how long of a fast are we talking? Overnight 16-18 hours acceptable? Run first thing in the morning before breakfast kind of deal?

Oh snap, Duality with the post snipe. /fistbumps

Enough so that your stomach is not supplying your blood with nutrients. Probably 6-8 hours minimum. It doesn't really have to be a pure fast like some of the various diet plans, a little food is ok, you just want to minimize how many nutrients the blood is getting from the stomach. For example you wake up in the am and eat a 70 calorie apple, then 3 hours later do your cardio, the apple will have virtually no impact on nutrients in the blood; too little too long ago.

Yup.

I've done it and done well with eating a normal sized lunch working out quasi fasted (say no food for 6 hours) and then doing my constant state cardio after that.  It's really an enjoyable way to end my day. 

BTW, I walk home a minimum of 2 mi 4x week from the gym and walk a lot more on weekends.

Cardio like this can totally be your friend.

Plus you get outside and get some air and you are moving.  So good for desk jockeys.

And, you can go out in any weather!

Yes, walking, mostly. If you have a HRM, anything that keeps you in the "fat burning zone". Can also mean easy biking or even easier running if your cardio fitness is good enough.

I'll try to explain a little why it works.

Fat cells don't all have the same signaling pathway that tells them to release stored fat into the blood stream. Some of them have a pathway that is very difficult to turn on without any sort of assistance, in effect this fat is invisible to the body's metabolism and signaling. This fat also doesn't have much blood flow when at rest, so little that it should be cold to the touch. Where and how much of this fat varies from person to person, but in general the upper inner thighs (more prominent in women), the lower abs/belly button area, and love handle area tend to be the typical concentration spots for this type of fat.

You can keep losing and losing and losing, getting quite lean everywhere, yet these concentrations remain (it can look downright weird too, sharp 6 pack with big 'ol love handles on the side; sharp muscle definition and big glops of fat between the thighs). There actually isn't all that much fat in these problem spots, but the fat that is there is in glops, not spread out.

Eventually as you lean out these spots will go too, but they will be the last spots to go and you'll have to get freaky lean to get rid of them by diet or diet/lifting alone (fortunately they don't tend to come back as strongly once gone, especially if you keep yourself fairly lean).

However fasted low intensity cardio can help you burn the spots much faster. Why fasted? You want the level of nutrients in your blood to be stable with as little coming from the stomach as possible. You also want to be burning as little glycogen as possible (which is one reason you can enhance the effect by first doing some HIIT to burn up muscle glycogen). In essence you want the exercise to be burning as much fat as possible, too intense and the fuel mix switches to glycogen, too many nutrients in the blood and fat stores aren't tapped. Usually it has to be longer as well, the body won't start big time tapping body fat stores until after a half hour or so. You also have to be lean enough that there just aren't a lot of fat stores readily available to the body.

With all the conditions right though, the higher fat burn rate necessitates making use of all body fat stores, including the stubborn spots that otherwise just don't go away. With it strong enough, you an quite literally feel the fat being burned (it feels like and itchy burning sensation, actually in the fat, the skin is not what is itchy). Its probably the blood flow and warmth, to tissue that rarely gets it, that creates the sensation, not fat burn per se, but the effect is the same.

The effect is also a little stronger than you might think based on calories alone, once the body starts mobilizing body fat, it overdoes it to support the continued exercise it anticipates. When you return to rest the excess fat in the blood is redeposited. However it is not redeposited where it came from ,it is mostly redeposited in the easiest most accessible spots for the body, which means there is a redistribution effect above and beyond the pure burn.

Because the stubborn spots don't actually hold a lot of fat (even a half pound is quite big in a big glop), they can go away quite quick if you able to get that particular fat burning.

Toward the end of my last cut it was clear that love handles and lower abs were stubborn, I was quite lean everywhere else (like striation level lean in areas), and those glops remained, and they were cold. I switched to walking 5 miles every week day at lunch (before eating lunch, and skipped breakfast, so I had been fasting more than 12 hours). Within 2 weeks the results were quite dramatic, the stubborn spots rapidly shrunk. And at times I definitely could feel the itchy-burning sensation in the fat at the end of my walks.

Thanks Waldo.Very helpful and informative

I get an itching whenever I go for my first run after several weeks off. I don't know if this is the same thing and have always assumed that it was a circulation and/or shock issue.

I would definitely like to walk to and from the gym if i dint have to be there at 6am for coaching. I do all my workouts fasted after 14-16 hours including heavy lifting.

I get an itching whenever I go for my first run after several weeks off. I don't know if this is the same thing and have always assumed that it was a circulation and/or shock issue.

I would definitely like to walk to and from the gym if i dint have to be there at 6am for coaching. I do all my workouts fasted after 14-16 hours including heavy lifting.

I struggle with fasting and heavy workouts. For me fasting=no strength. But I did a fasted walk today and enjoyed it.