Moistening(?) your hands is not always a good idea. It makes the callouses go soft, making them easier to rip on a hold. That's why it's usually better to remove them before they are too thick.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

You can usually feel it, the skin is super hard because of multiple layers of calluses. It's a bit hard to explain in English, but when you press the callus, it feels as if you were pressing a pen in your hand (or anything hard) instead of just your finger.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Unfortunately I have no further useful advice. I do moisturise my hands after climbing, chalk dries them out, especially if like me, you're a bit over-reliant on it. You don't want your callouses to get super-soft otherwise as Nuala says they can rip off. On the other hand, if they're too dry they're also more prone to ripping off. Somewhere between the two where you want to be. I second filing them down, un-lady-like though it is! 

As for the pain getting too much, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about that. Except climb on super-small holds! If you've just starting climbing after a break or something, or moved onto more overhanging walls then it will probably start to hurt less pretty quickly as your hands get used to the punishment. Otherwise, yep, just suck it up!

Yay, a climbing PVP-thread!

I´m a newbie, and in my first challenge I have a climbing (continuity) goal: I going to climb 3 times a week. I will definitly add more specific challenges in the future, but now it´s just getting to the climbing hall and having fun, not caring about the grades or boulder colours.

I will forward a tip that I have learned (perhaps obvious, but I think it´s great): When you rest in between your climbs, look at other climbers and how they solve the problems. BUT, the key is to watch those climbers who aren´t struggling, look at the ones who climb naturally, since they probably have the right technic and only use their strength when it´s really necessary.

Psyched to see other climber here! 

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

I still really appreciate all your advice! I know I have to suck it up, but sometimes that is hard. I feel like I already toughen it out for most part, and then near the end it becomes unbearable (but what is unbearable) so I back out. 

Yay, another climber! Welcome!

Hi guys,

I've recently started bouldering and whilst I can now do all the easiest routes, I'm not yet able to do more than two of the next level up.  Mostly, I think my lack of upper body strength issue is letting me down. 

Do you have any conditioning or training exercises you do to help improve your climbing/bouldering?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

If you just started climbing more is the best skill practice, strength training and endurance training you can do! So just climb more and enjoy the soreness and caluses! Also, if you try to get some technique tips from climbers at the gym you'll probably have mich to improve on. I thought I lacked upper body strength, and I'm still not that strong. But O climb tougher routes now simply because my technique improved a great deal!

• Like 1

Hi guys, I've always wanted to try climbing, however, I have no idea how to go about doing that!

There's a climbing 'gym' (is that what you call it?) about 30min from me and I've thought of visiting it soon. What happens in there? Do I rent equipments and start climbing? Does anybody guide you? Do I need someone to help me with belaying?

Comments please! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hello curryNinja! Well is it a toprope gym? Or a bouldering one? Or a combination of both? For bouldering you pretty much go and start climbing. You can rent appropriate shoes, but for the first time, if you have flat soled shoes (the opposite of running shoes) that are not too big so there's ideally no space between your toes and the top of your shoes, you're fine. If it's toprope, they may have an introduction lesson, like we did. You have to state it in advance and someone from the climbing school will belay you and you get to climb. That's what my first climbing experience was like and it was great! 

Then if you want to toprope, at least here in the Netherlands you need to get a certificate (after succesfully completing a course) to show you've got belaying/safety techniques under control. 

But you should definitely go soon! I

• Like 1

Hi guys, I've always wanted to try climbing, however, I have no idea how to go about doing that!

There's a climbing 'gym' (is that what you call it?) about 30min from me and I've thought of visiting it soon. What happens in there? Do I rent equipments and start climbing? Does anybody guide you? Do I need someone to help me with belaying?

Comments please! :)

Hi :)

It depends on the gym, the best thing you can do is call them and ask. Most gyms do an intro / taster session that can show you what you need to be safe and start climbing! if it is bouldering (no ropes) they can show you around and the basics and you can climb alone. If it is roped climbing it would be better to go with a partner so you can learn and be safe together :)

Again, all walls are different, ring them, chat to them...they should be nice (after all, they all started somewhere!)

:)

• Like 1

Level 1 Hobbit Assassin (is that even a thing?!)

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2

Thank you for the response Lilith and arwenavery! :)

The gym has both toprope and boulder walls. I just found out that they are holding some courses and I'll be joining the level 1 course soon! I'll be training in the mean time so I won't embarrass myself in there haha

Thanks again! I was really lost before both of you replied lol!!!

• Like 1

Thank you for the response Lilith and arwenavery! :)

The gym has both toprope and boulder walls. I just found out that they are holding some courses and I'll be joining the level 1 course soon! I'll be training in the mean time so I won't embarrass myself in there haha

Thanks again! I was really lost before both of you replied lol!!!

impossible to embarres yourself in a climbing wall :) we all started somewhere and most of us remember that feeling! Hope you have an epic time! a course is a wonderful idea! I wish i'd learned climbing properly from the beginning :) it saves SO much time :) let us know how you get on :)

• Like 1

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2

Yes you should really not be afraid to be the worst. I am in fact the worst in my bouldering course and well I struggle with it too, but it's not needed. Everyone is there to get better, and it's an individual sport, you're not holding anyone back! 

• Like 1

Guess I'm a little afraid as I'll be going alone! I'm only going to be starting after my exams end which is about October so I have plenty of time to train now! Are there any workouts you would recommend? I can only think of playing around on the monkey bars and campus rungs (only available in my school) but I don't think they are really safe as the rungs are metal and they rolled in their pockets while I was climbing...

• Like 1

Guess I'm a little afraid as I'll be going alone! I'm only going to be starting after my exams end which is about October so I have plenty of time to train now! Are there any workouts you would recommend? I can only think of playing around on the monkey bars and campus rungs (only available in my school) but I don't think they are really safe as the rungs are metal and they rolled in their pockets while I was climbing...

honestly, the best way to learn to climb is climbing, hanging around on monkey bars and campus rungs might just injure you :) what you want is to be fit, with strong shoulders and core! If you did pull ups, push ups and core work as well as running and hill walking you would crush it in the long run :)

• Like 1

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2

Thanks for the advice! I've been easing up on the push ups for now as my elbows feel different... maybe I've been stressing them too much recently. I think I might not want to wait until October to climb though! Looking at signing up for a taster session probably next week or the week after, I can't wait!

I've been looking at chalk bags and shoes recently hehe :P

• Like 1

Sweet, another climber!! (And a fellow Ninja :))

You´ve already gotten some great advice, and I concur with it. Ignore embarrassment, people who climb often look at those who are better than themselves, or they are helping new climber out. A big difference actually compared when going to a gym. I have several times met people when I climb who instructs me who I should approach a specific wall etc. And if you´re having troubles, ask someone and you´ll most definitely get help.

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Thanks for the advice! I've been easing up on the push ups for now as my elbows feel different... maybe I've been stressing them too much recently. I think I might not want to wait until October to climb though! Looking at signing up for a taster session probably next week or the week after, I can't wait!

I've been looking at chalk bags and shoes recently hehe :tongue:

Sweet :) that sounds amazing, no point waiting :)

also, if your pushups are giving you pain maybe have someone who knows what they are doing look at you :) I did push ups wrong for years and am still dealing with the aftermath :)

Strength (earth) +1, 

Dexterity (wind) +2, 

Stamina (fire) +1, 

Constitution (earth) +3, 

Wisdom (water) +5, 

Charisma (water) +2