Protein Shakes?

Evelfa

Thanks for the actual article reference!  I've been thinking about using them.  But have never seen them mentioned on nerd fitness before (albeit I may have just not run into them yet), so I wondered if there's a reason for that.

Level 2 Elf - Assassin

| STR 2 | DEX 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2 | STA 3 | CON 3 |

2nd Challenge                               Battle Log

I'm on a cut right now and getting enough protein while keeping the calories down is tricky without the magical whey. I'll probably kick the habit when I'm sliding into maintenance or bulking.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Which is more beneficial taking protein shake before or after a workout?

I don't think many of us here are at the level of fitness where we need to worry about that yet. If/when we do, we would probably have scientists or something to worry about it for us.

I used them. I needed not only the protein, but the supplemental calories. Although I didn't gain much weight, they are helping me to keep at my 130-135lb weight goal without me eating for three people. I can't understand the physics of how I put away 20 tacos. Taco bell ones of course but still XD.

°~°

• Like 1

°¬° 

Kan, you would do a lot better getting your calories from fat or carbs if your goal is to gain weight. A gallon of milk a day is a good place to start.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Which is more beneficial taking protein shake before or after a workout?

I saw some guys getting a protein shake DURING their workouts last night, so I guess the jury is out.

One question I have: I'm trying to go from little muscle mass to good muscle mass. How much protein should I be shooting for, regardless of how I get it? I read 0.8 g/kg of body weight in the linked article, but that assumes normal needs. It says 1.2 to 1.4g/kg for endurance athelets and up to 1.7 g/kg for bodybuilders. If I'm starting out, should I probably only bump it up to 1.2g/kg or just go all out to 1.7 g/kg?

At my current weight, that recommends 222 g of protein per day. (131 kg x 1.7g/kg) That's quite a bit of protein.

It's more about meeting your macros and the type of workout you are doing.

Get your macros from whole foods. Shakes vary in quality and sugar content. They add a ton of calories generally. If you are trying to lose weight and drink most shakes, you just added back all your calories.

I'm shoveling in 200g protein a day so I need a shake bc I can simply not eat that much. But it's one shake for only 30g protein. This I do in days I lift for 2 hours or days I do 90 mins lifting w 30 mins cardio.

Most people here don't need them. They are convenient. But whole food is much much better.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

It's more about meeting your macros and the type of workout you are doing.

Get your macros from whole foods. Shakes vary in quality and sugar content. They add a ton of calories generally. If you are trying to lose weight and drink most shakes, you just added back all your calories.

I'm shoveling in 200g protein a day so I need a shake bc I can simply not eat that much. But it's one shake for only 30g protein. This I do in days I lift for 2 hours or days I do 90 mins lifting w 30 mins cardio.

Most people here don't need them. They are convenient. But whole food is much much better.

I don't know if you're really adding all your calories back. As near as anyone can say, an hour of hard strength training is going to burn at least 500 calories unless the trainee is doing something terribly wrong. Your average milk + protein powder shake is about 150 calories at most. So you still have a net deficit.

There's really nothing that makes protein powder a bad source of protein. Unless you're drinking nothing but protein shakes, you'll get all the nutrients you need from all the other whole food you're stuffing yourself with to meet that protein goal.

Nothing wrong with a shake, especially when you're first starting out and having trouble meeting protein goals otherwise.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

So, those various protein shakes that you can get; are those actually useful? Or are they something that actually isn't all that good for you?

Oh right, OP's post :)

All depends on how you feel about a quick, easy way to add protein to your diet that often includes an artificial sweetener. Though no one has conclusively shown that ANY sweetener that's currently legal can harm your health, some people still avoid them out of superstition or plain caution.

Other than that, it's virtually impossible for extra protein in your diet to be unhealthy.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Your average milk + protein powder shake is about 150 calories at most. So you still have a net deficit.

Not sure what kind of protein powder you're looking at but a scoop plus milk is at least that. And that's the minimum amount of milk (4oz). I usually do two scoops of ON 100% Whey, about 240 cal and if I use milk 8oz, thats another 120 cal.

I use it only to supplement my protein macro. I'm trying to hit at least 200g. I can do that easily with food though. I just get lazy some days. I suggest getting a good protein powder that has good reviews. There's a lot of garbage out there.

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Your average milk + protein powder shake is about 150 calories at most. So you still have a net deficit.

Not sure what kind of protein powder you're looking at but a scoop plus milk is at least that. And that's the minimum amount of milk (4oz). I usually do two scoops of ON 100% Whey, about 240 cal and if I use milk 8oz, thats another 120 cal.

I use it only to supplement my protein macro. I'm trying to hit at least 200g. I can do that easily with food though. I just get lazy some days. I suggest getting a good protein powder that has good reviews. There's a lot of garbage out there.

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Mixed w water, mine is 130 calories for 30g protein. Depending on your milk, add at least another 100-150 calories.

I'm fairly certain that most people are not working out so hard they are burning that many calories.

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I use protein shakes to supplement my calories rather than my protein because my wife and I are on the same diet, and she needs fewer calories per day than I do (even though we are both on a deficit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

I suggest a lean shake for the protein and to ask a meal replacement, it will give you the protein and nutrients without making you bulky. It's great tasting, keeps you full and you can incorporate fruits and vegetables to fit your taste.

Species: DARK Wood Elf

Class: Assassin

STR3 DEX2 STA3 CON2WIS2 CHA2

" Guess that's the difference between us and the Avengers.

The world already looked pretty good to them. They fought to keep it as it was.

We fought to make it better"

- Rogue (Anna Marie)  ( Earth 616)

I like protein shakes, since you get protein into your body fast. With solid foods, it takes your body a while to break it down, so it's not available immediately for reuse to build muscle.

I drink a whey protein shake after a workout and a casein protein shake before going to bed. I mix it with milk and also add in fruits, things like berries or bananas.

Follow me on my blog:

http://gainweightjournal.com/

My ultimate guide on how to gain weight

(all the wisdom I gained through the years of trying to gain weight)