Antiope's Amazon Training

As you may have noticed, my brain is always in Classics mode. This is a passion that sparked for me when I was very young. Between getting my hands on one of the many Big Books of Greek Mythology, and reading Wonder Woman, I've been obsessed, and eventually allowed it to influence my lifestyle. My Greek and Roman art & archaeology classes (and comic books) have had the biggest impact on my fitness goals. As unrealistic and ridiculous as that might sound to you, motivation is motivation. I don't want to look like anyone in particular - I don't have anyone's DNA but my own and I'm not an illustration - but I know what I want to be able to do if it were necessary. So I'm training to be an Amazon. I figure this requires functional strength, flexibility and the ability to sprint (I might throw some archery and pankration in for end game). Right now, I'm looking to lower my body fat percentage more than anything. Here's what I'll be doing or the four weeks before I move to NY in addition to eating Paleo:

Monday / Wednesday / Friday

• Heavy Weight Training - Full Body but with emphasis on lower body
  • 100 Push up challenge
  • Intervals w/ working Rest
Tuesday / Thursday

• Light/Body Weight Circuit Training - more aerobic than weight training
  • Yoga / Pilates
Saturday

• Sprint/HIITs
  • Yoga/Pilates
Sunday

• Long Stretch / Rest

Things I know I need to work on ASAP

• There are a few things I know I can go heavier on, squats, dead lifts and lunges to be specific. My adjustable weights only go up to 24, so I either need to buck up and use the fitness room in the apartment building, or make those 24 lbs feel like 50.

• Also, just using the fitness room in general. I hate working out in front of other people, but I think it's something I need to get over. It'd be nice to do intervals on the bike or elliptical every now and then.

• My attitude could be a lot better. I need to stop getting so down on myself and acknowledge how far I've come instead of how far I have to go. I'm very close to my goal, and I'll reach it as long as I keep pushing.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."

— Thucydides

An Amazon in Training - Fitblr & Progress. Food Buffed - Food Photography. Advised by Zeus - Personal Tumblr.

nice goals, 2 things though... pankration, where in the name of Zeus Pater would you learn that? or would you go along the lines of modern wrestling/MMA? Also YOUR AN AMAZON!!!!!!! you have need have no fear for the lowly weekend warriors in your local gymnasium soon it shall be they who fear the sight of your workouts! :P

I actually know a girl who has been practicing martial arts for most of her life who is in a pankration program right now via an MMA type gym so I would look into it that way. If I can't find a pankration program in NY, I'd probably settle for bjj or whatever grappling I decide on, or an actual MMA program. And gym wise, to be honest, in addition to not liking people watching me, I'm more afraid of how clean (or unclean) our apartment building gym is lol. Hopefully I'll get over it.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."

— Thucydides

An Amazon in Training - Fitblr & Progress. Food Buffed - Food Photography. Advised by Zeus - Personal Tumblr.

You could always bring some sanitizer wipes, or sanitizer gel or something, and then obviously showering post-workout would be a good plan. I had a sketchy dorm gym a couple years ago that was never occupied, but definitely of dubious cleanliness.

Also, THANK YOU for being brave enough to decide to become an Amazon. Badassery indeed!

Don't write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass

Heavy Weight Circuit - done 3x no rest; 18lbs in each hand

• Front Lunge w/ Glute Lift - 12 reps
  • Modified Push Ups - 12 reps
  • Deadlift - 12 reps - work on form
  • Single Arm Dumbbell Row - 12 reps each side
  • Hip Raises - 12 reps
  • Chest Fly - 12 reps
  • Jump Rope - 1 min
  • Plank - 30 sec

100 Push Up Challenge Day 1

• 6 good form push ups - rest 60 sec
  • 6 good form push ups - rest 60 sec
  • 4 good form push ups - rest 60 sec
  • 4 good form push ups - rest 60 sec
  • max (at least 5) - did 6 before muscle failure

Nike Training Club

Get Lean - Fighter Fit 30 min Interval

Tried my first fast today. Didn't want to do anything too long, just from last night's dinner to 10 this morning. I could have gone longer I think, but 15 or 16 hours is good enough for me for beginning. I'd like to make that a Monday habit.

— Thucydides

Intervals w/ Working Recovery - Done

30 Min Yoga Session - Done

Still sore from yesterday, but still managed all of my recovery endurance reps, which I don't think I've ever done before, so that's cool.

Out of Whey protein, decided to go with egg this time since I'm trying to cut as much milk product out as I can for the month in an attempt to be friends with my body, it hating the stuff and all. It's also a few calories and carbs lower, and only sweetened with sucralose instead of acesalfame k. All I can hope is that it tastes as good as the whey, because that stuff is addictive.

— Thucydides

Heavy Weight Circuit - 15 lbs in each hand, 12 reps each, 3 circuits

• Squats
  • Bent Over Row
  • Step Ups w/ Knee
  • Overhead Press
  • Split Squat
  • Chest Press
  • Opposite Arm Leg Extension
  • Jump Rope 1 min

100 Push Up Challenge Day 2

• 6 good form push ups - 60 sec rest
  • 8 good form push ups - 60 sec rest
  • at least 7 good form push ups - could only manage 7

Didn't do my Nike training club circuits today. I feel like I'm over training, so I'm aiming for working out once a day. I get some good cardio during my weight circuit, with so many lower body exercises, and moving from one to the next without rest. Instead I will do flexibility to help stretch out my muscles and relax before bed.

I also think I need to increase the amount of protein I'm having per meal. I'm trying to cut down to 3 main meals plus a post workout snack but am finding it hard. Two weeks ago I was doing just fine, but I was still eating dairy and eating larger portions of fruit and nuts. I'm trying to keep it to 1 serving of fruit and oz of nuts per day to cut body fat.

— Thucydides

Intervals w/ Working Recovery - Done

30 Min Yoga Session - Done

Trying to keep it to 3 main meals and one snack today. After dinner, if I get hungry, I'm going to bed.

— Thucydides

YESTERDAY

Heavy Weight Training - 3 circuits, weight dependent on movement, 10-12 reps

• each
  • Sumo Squat
  • Row
  • Curtsy Lunge
  • French Press
  • Single Leg Deadlift
  • Lateral Raise (6-8 reps)
  • 30 second Plank
  • Jump Rope 1 min

TODAY

15 min HIIT

— Thucydides