Thom the Lycan Ranger vs The Black Dog

Tomorrow is my monthly measurement day.

So we can have a base line for comparison I am going to share my measurements from the beginning of November.

Weight = 118kg

Bodyfat % = 36.44

Bodyfat Weight = 43kg

Lean body weight =75kg

Neck = 45cm

Chest = 129cm

Waist = 127cm

Hips = 116cm

Thigh = 61cm

Bicep = 35cm

Tomorrow we will see what changes occur with my old lifestyle activities. Then each month we will see what the new changes will be wrought upon my flesh as I transform into the Lycan Ranger.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Ok, here are my measurements for December.

Weight = 117.9kg

Bodyfat% = 36.44

Body fat = 42.96kg

Lean body weight = 74.94kg

Neck = 44.5cm

Chest = 129cm

Waist = 127cm

Hips = 115.5cm

Thigh = 59cm

Bicep = 35cm

A whole 100grams off, and 2cm off my thighs. Wow. These slight changes over a month is one of the reasons that I need to step up on fitness activities. Which is why I am here.

Yesterday I walked 8759 steps for the day. I ate two serves of grain based carbs. Now to add some pics so we have a starting reference on my body.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Me today, don't mind the sexy boxer shorts :P

Yesterday was fairly good. I had 2 serves if grain based carbs. But even better I cracked the 10 thousand step mark. 10074.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

But even better I cracked the 10 thousand step mark. 10074.

Wooot! congrats! :) Good idea to measure the steps.... might have to consider that myself as I'm not sure whether I'd get to 10,000 being a desk jockey :) Keep it up!

If it's important, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.
Don't sacrifice what you really want, for what you want right now.

I resolve to not die with my dreams still inside me

Alright! Killed it yesterday. Got a 5.1km walk in, it wasn't the walk I planned but it was the distance.

Which helped me massively with my daily step count 21,676 steps. Killed that wee beastie.

Got my first bodyweight routine in. Used the NF beginners routine. Ouch. I was originally planning to create my own, but why re-invent the wheel? That workout owned me though. I only got through it once. With 8 kneeling push ups. On the plus side I have an exercise buddy for the bodyweight routine. My 11 year old son is joining me. :)

His mates at school are talking about having 6 pack abs. Hel I didn't even know what an ab was at his age. I am teaching him ranger philosophy, functional strength over pretty muscles. He is good motivation and teaching him helps me learn as well. It also gives us a good father son bonding activity. Which is important with 6 kids. I halved the numbers of each exercise for him. I will create a table for us to record our progress on and keep in his room.

Finally no grains yesterday. Yay

• Like 1

Thanks Lyric Acantha, I use the accupedo app for my android phone. It has the most important measurement for me, step length. Mine is 80cm, So every 10 steps is 8 metres, 10,000 steps means that I have walked 8km in a day.

Yesterday was another good day. I got my short walk in this time my nine year old daughter joined me. Smashed out 17808 steps. And again no grain based carbs.

Since I have started recording my daily steps here I have not been under 10,000. Which just proves what a bit of accountability can do.

No walk yesterday. The black dog jumped on my back.

Still I gave a good accounting of myself. I somehow managed to still get 13617 steps in, which I am happy with.

Better yet last night I managed to do 10 kneeling pushups and with that finished one whole circuit of the beginner's bodyweight routine. My son managed to do his full routine as well. He did a 15 second plank, which was an improvement over 10 on Monday. We are enjoying our little routine together. Next week we are going to do two sets.

The food intake wasn't so good, 4 serves of grain based carbs.

I need to clarify about the carbs thing here, I have IBS. One of the things my girlfriend and I have noticed is that I am more likely to have the runs when I eat a lot of bread, pasta or noodles. Rice and potatoes don't seem to cause the same issue. As such I am working on cutting these particular carbs out of the diet as much as possible. I may have developed a gluten intolerance over the years. I am not sure and want to try living without the gluten based carbs to see what affect that has. At the very least cutting them out of my diet will be beneficial based on the stuff I have been reading lately.

Another day for the Black Dog yesterday.

I only got 8819 steps in :(

No walk in either.

The only plus side was only one serve of carbs.

I did a bit better yesterday, slowly pushing the black dog down off my back. I got a short walk in, not enough to get my steps over 10,000, but my girls loved riding on the local bike track. 9120 steps, so close.

My son and I did the bodyweight routine we are enjoying our time together. It is great watching him push himself to improve each time. Next week we are going to do the second set of the routine. It might only be a lighter rep set, but we have to push ourselves that bit further.

My diet was pretty good with only 1 serve of carbs.

Yesterday was another so so day. No exercise beyond moving some stuff from the inlaws to our house. Which was good for the step count, 15370. Which will help my weekly average. No long or short walk though.

Two serves of carbs as well.

Now to add all this up to find out my totals for the first week of the challenge.

I need to clarify about the carbs thing here, I have IBS. One of the things my girlfriend and I have noticed is that I am more likely to have the runs when I eat a lot of bread, pasta or noodles. Rice and potatoes don't seem to cause the same issue. As such I am working on cutting these particular carbs out of the diet as much as possible. I may have developed a gluten intolerance over the years. I am not sure and want to try living without the gluten based carbs to see what affect that has. At the very least cutting them out of my diet will be beneficial based on the stuff I have been reading lately.

Aw man, I'm the exact same, Thom. Grains give me the worst digestive issues...But thankfully I've cut those out of my diet completely. Gluten intolerance is so common these days.  :nightmare:  Have you read the post Steve did on Gluten-free products? 

♣ Quilly ♣

Level 2 Gryphon Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

Challenges: 1

Log

"If you cannot find Paradise,make your own."

Thom, on 05 Dec 2013 - 2:01 PM, said:snapback.png

Aw man, I'm the exact same, Thom. Grains give me the worst digestive issues...But thankfully I've cut those out of my diet completely. Gluten intolerance is so common these days.  :nightmare:  Have you read the post Steve did on Gluten-free products? 

Me three although you'd be surprised how much you don't miss on things due to the rising availability of gluten free products. I still find I get a reaction some times but depends on what it is (mostly rice flour based stuff). I basically try to stick to the veggie carbs but can be lured by fresh gluten free bread mmmmmmm :)

I haven't yet. However I will do. My lovely lady is finding out that since her surgery she has become gluten intolerant. Bloaty and gaseous after having bread. At least with both of us it is easier to change the diet.

Yesterday was pretty good. I got a short walk in, and was back over the 10,000 mark with 12702 steps.

I also only ate one serve of gluten based carbs.

I am feeling mentally better today and I am looking forward to my workout with my son tonight. :)

Yesterday was not a good one. 8572 steps. Then we had pizza for dinner and I ended up bloated, gaseous and on the loo. So I didn't even do my bodyweight workout with my son.

Such a crap day health and fitness wise.

Don't let the Pizza get you down, Thom! It's just a bump in the road. We've all got those trouble foods that like to come up and push us off target. Mine is anything I can put in my mouth!

Keep up the fight, man! You've got this!

• Like 2

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Yesterday was not a good one. 8572 steps. Then we had pizza for dinner and I ended up bloated, gaseous and on the loo. So I didn't even do my bodyweight workout with my son.

Such a crap day health and fitness wise.

What citizenkade said :) Or at least try and focus in on the pain and bloating and remember what it's like next time those naughty little cheesey triangles call your name. Damn them and their yumminess. Hope you can take that black dog and drop him off at the RSPCA! :devilish:  Easier said than done I know but we're here for ya, cheering you on! Tomorrow is a new day, one step at a time :)  PS. I found out that 20kg dumbbells are cheaper at Kmart than BigW if you're still looking for some - $49.

• Like 1

Thankyou both. I was more surprised by my reaction to the pizza than anything. Not too mention disappointed that I missed my workout.

It is good to know that I have friends here. Thankyou.

• Like 1

Your body is getting used to eating better, it might start reacting to "bad" food like any other poison! I cut processed foods from my diet a couple of weeks back, and had bread Saturday night. It was like Wolverine went to town on my digestive system. Won't be doing that again!

That's the hard part about food, though, isn't it? It's not like we can stop eating, and the stuff that tears us up is all around us, all the time!

• Like 1

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Ok getting back on track. My step count is up again being 10781. Happy me. No walk though.

One serve of gluten carbs, slowly knocking them down and eventually out of the diet.

I no longer feel like the wheels have come off the new routine, which is definitely good.

Yesterday was much like Tuesday. One serve of gluten carbs, and 10449 steps for the day. No walk or bodyweight routine.

On bodyweight routines am I the only one who sees the irony that you are lifting the heaviest weight when you are the least fit? I mean here I am at the start of my fitness journey trying to push 118kg off the ground. When I reach my goal of 95kg I will be fitter and stronger and pushing a load that is 23kg lighter than now. Just a simple observation that makes doing bodyweight exercises seem counter intuitive.

However to counter my own thoughts at the moment I am doing kneeling push ups, when I am fitter I won't be. I hope to be doing as many clapping pushups as I am currently doing push ups (1×10 & 1×5). So realistically a totally different exercise that requires far more strength than I am needing at the moment. Also with kneeling pushups I am not lifting my full body weight, I guess as much as a third is not being lifted by my arms. Which is less than my goal weight,

• Like 1

Smacked that black dog on the nose yesterday.

13095 steps in. No gluten carbs eaten. One and a half sets of the beginners bodyweight workout done. The half is because the second set was half the reps of a full set. :P

Finally I did 4 sets of ten overhead presses. My 3 year old loves that game :D as we rangers know functional strength is what counts. Nothing says functional to me like lifting my son above my head.

• Like 1