Moomin's voyage 1: Setting Sail

This is my first battle log: Moomin's first step to Finding the Fountain of Strength: Setting Sail.

I am a 27 year-old, regular Hobbit, who wants to level up to Awesome. You can read my introduction here.

Here I aim to keep this battle log for until the end of December (around 5 weeks), until the next 6 week challenge starts.

5 week exercise Goals:

1. Achieve best form possible on Beginner Body Weight Workout (BBWW)

2. Do BBWW 3 times a week, roughly following a MWF schedule, building up a routine

3. Cardio workouts (Running with pooch / biking) 3 times a week for at least 20 minutes, on the same day as workout or separate.

Stuff I am also trying to do in my life:

1. Work hard with all my heart in it -- no more being distracted / daydreaming

2. Stop procrastinating - Plan ahead for busy periods

3. Be conscious of what I eat (Not going to record what I ate, and not going to follow any diet, even Paleo, at this stage)

4. Use SleepBot to monitor hours of sleep every night.

Ultimate goal:

1. Gain upper body / core strength - be able to do a pull-up, then be able to handstand!

2. Lose fat.

3. Habit of working out / running when I'm busy.

Reward:

1. Gym membership starting April 2014 if I continue on nicely.

2. New gear

3. Skirts and dresses (Too self-conscious to wear them)

=====================================================================================

(This first entry is from my intro, but I have copied it here for future reference)

27/11/13 (Wednesday)

Cardio / warm up: 30 min bike (Totally out of breath, tired myself out with this one unexpectedly)

Beginner bodyweight: (3 circuits demarcated by semicolons, rest for 1 minute in between)

Squats:                       20; 20; 20.

Inc push up:               10; 10; 10. (*Incline push up on desk)

Lunges (bil):                20; 20; 20. (*Regular lunges, bilaterally)

Single arm rows (bil): 10; 10; 10.

Elbow planks (s):        30; 30; 49.

Comment: (I really need to get the forms right)

1. Squats: Great! I finally did them the new way, LOW. They weren't so hard for me, though definitely harder than the ones I did before. I'm pretty sure I did them right. Yayy.
  2. Incline push ups: BAD!! Not low enough. Elbows going a bit sideways
  3. Lunges: Good, I can feel my posture improving throughout the three sets. There was some crepitus in my knees during the first set and my knees felt a bit strange. But in the third set I felt less stress on my knees. Must keep an eye on the posture next time as well. Quite tiring for 20 each leg! (Strange since I did well on the squats)
  4. Single arm rows: Okay... My suitcase isn't heavy enough I feel. I need to add more books in it. And it's too big. It keeps on hitting the floor. Hmm. Maybe I really do need to buy a weight. Oh well...
  5. Elbow planks: They're alright.  :)
  6. Jumping jacks: I haven't added them. I'll try them next time.

Overall comment: I'm still in my setting up stage. I'm doing my lower body and core bits fine, but I really have to work on the upper body!! I'll try them out again. Maybe on Friday.

And the beginner bodyweight circuit is much better than the angry birds for me, so I'll be sticking to this, at least for now.

*Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer*

Moomin 3 - Heart of an Adventurer

2 - Maintenance therapy 1- Keep charging ahead

"Life is akin to sailing against the current - forge ahead or be washed downstream" -- Ancient Chinese proverb

Rest day 1 (Thurs): Felt the burn. Especially upper limbs, mildly in my lower limbs. But not really in my core.

Rest day 2 (Friday): Recovered mostly, should be working out on this day, but was busy. Figured I would work out before breakfast the next day.

30/11/13 (Saturday)

*9 am, Before breakfast*

Cardio / warm up: 20 min jog with pooch x 2 km on slope (Slow, did not feel very good)

Beginner bodyweight: (3 circuits. "+x" indicate additional rep for failed form)

Inc push up:               10; 10 (+2); 10 (+1). (*Incline push up on desk) 

Reg. lunges (bil):        20; 20; 20. 

Elbow planks (s):        30; 30; 30.

Jumping jacks:           30; 30; 30.

Comment:

1. Squats: Before breakfast. Very tiring. A bit imbalanced. Left knee felt strange. A bit of pain. I will observe this exercise carefully. This was worse than last time. Strange.
  2. Incline push ups: Better. Lower, but still not perfect. Only able to do 7-8 in acceptable form. But I pushed myself to do 10. I push myself to redo them if I catch myself in poor form.
  3. Lunges: Tiring, out of breath. Not very uniform on the depth of the squat. I guess it's because of tiredness. Lower limbs much more tired than last time. Quite out of breath for doing numbers 1 - 3 in a row.
  4. Single arm rows: Good! I added one book to my suitcase and now it's heavy enough -- I can feel the core engaged, the lats, biceps and triceps!
  5. Elbow planks: Tiring. I guess I did my push ups and rows right this time. Good sign.
  6. Jumping jacks: Not getting why I need to do this. But I guess they're fine. Get my heart pumping.

Overall comment: I need to eat breakfast next time. Felt like I was dying by the middle of the second set. Wasn't able to do as much with an empty stomach.

=====================================================================================

Rest day 1 (Sunday): I feel okay. Mild ache only. Maybe I wasn't able to push myself properly. I love the burn in my upper limbs!

So that's it for now! Would love to have your support / comments on whatever I need to improve on!

"Life is akin to sailing against the current - forge ahead or be washed downstream" -- Ancient Chinese proverb

From what I've heard, don't worry too much if you're not sore after a workout.  That doesn't necessarily mean you didn't work hard enough or whatever.  If you're getting less sore, that's good - it means your body's getting fitter, yay!  That said, if you do think things are starting to feel too easy, try upping the ante for some of the exercises.  If you do one more squat each week, then you're improving.  You could also probably try mixing things up.  Add an exercise or two that helps an area that you think needs improvement.  For example, I added hollowed holds to my BBW because I knew my form was slipping in some things because my core wasn't strong enough or at least I wasn't engaging it correctly.  Also, you could try something like the Angry Birds Workout for more structured progressions and more visible improvement, or graduate to the Advanced Bodyweight Workout when you really start getting up there.  Finally, don't let weights scare you.  If you're pumping out those squats like nobody's business, then it's probably time to get that gym membership and do some barbell squats!  Or if that's not your thing or maybe you want to stick with bodyweight exercises, then look into more challenging variations of the basic movements and work your way up.

Have fun and feel the burn!

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

2/12/13 (Monday)

*10 pm, After dinner*

Cardio / warm up: 30 min bike (Good)

BBWW #3: (3 circuits. "+x" indicate additional rep for failed form)

Elbow planks (s):        30; 30; 30.

Comment:

1. Squats: Doing this SLOWLY instead this time. I think I went too fast before.
  2. Incline push ups: Better and better. Feeling encouraged!
  3. Lunges: Tiring! Variable stride length... Not great form yet. Balance getting better. I did the last few ones a bit poorly though.
  4. Single arm rows: Core engaged. Arms and lats not really feeling it that much. Review form next time.
  5. Elbow planks: More and more tiring. Good sign.
  6. Jumping jacks: Gets my heart beating. Tried doing this before the elbow planks in the second circuit. Not a good idea. 

Overall comment: I'm starting to get this on track! Yayyy. Progress!

============================================

@ ReachingForTheStars - Yeah! I'm considering adding weight! But maybe after two more workouts in a similar fashion first -- I'm starting to think I'm a bit too eager and overthinking each part of the exercise. So yeah, I'll be doing that. And I'll be adding exercises.

I just researched hollowed holds. They look difficult. Good work!!

I tried the Angry birds and I don't really like it that much because I would think to myself that I'd reached the limit if I hadn't written the routine down on my board and told myself to finish that. I'm aiming for going to a gym in early April when my schedule and finances get more stable, but yeah, it's good advice! By the time I reach the gym, I'm guessing I'd get real self-conscious. But I'll tackle that when I get to that point!

For now... Yay for progress! Thanks for the continued support <3

4/12/13 (Wednesday)

Bad day. This should have been exercise day but I was too busy. Skipped my dinner and stuffed my face with a crepe at 9:30pm. Felt nauseous but hungry afterwards. Then had a whole cup of chocolate milk. Yikes.

And I showed poor temper due to hunger and exhaustion. I feel so bad...

Now I would be able to get 6 hours of sleep at most. Bad bad and bad!

:(

Now that I got this off my chest, I will go to sleep and tomorrow will be a better day!

That's right.  Today's today, tomorrow's tomorrow.  Get back on your horse and ride!

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

Thanks for the encouragement! Having fallen off the figurative house for few days (big barbeque party at home for a party of 20 on Friday! Lots of work to do)

Finally did some exercise! I need to keep this up!

7/12/13 (Saturday)

Cardio: badminton 1 hour

Bodyweight (in park)

Static squat (like the martial art position of half squat) held for 2 minutes

Inverted pull up: 5, 3, 2, 2, 2

Push up on low step: 7

Push up on high step: 10

Dips: 10, 10

9/12/13 (Monday)

*10 pm, After dinner*

Cardio / warm up: 5 min bike

BBWW #3: (3 circuits. "+x" indicate additional rep for failed form)

Reg. lunges (bil):        15; 15; 15. 

Elbow planks (s):        45; 45; 45.

Comment:

1. Squats: My form should be okay with this one. I feel confident enough to add some weight and do a goblet squat next time. The problem is what weight to begin with... And where to find an everyday object that can act as a weight. 
  2. Incline push ups: They're getting easier. I am aiming for a lower step next week.
  3. Lunges: My knees hurt with this one. I decreased the reps in order to find out what's wrong and try to improve on this
  4. Single arm rows: Core engaged. (First set disrupted when I found out my dog pee'd on my suitcase! Ewwwwww)
  5. Elbow planks
  6. Jumping jacks

Overall comment: Great to get sweating in this cold weather!! I never knew that weight exercises can get me into a sweat! Usually it's only cardio that I do long enough to become sweaty.

11/12/13 (Wednesday)

*9:30 pm, After dinner*

Cardio: 3km run with pooch. Up the slopes Yayyy!

BBWW #6: (3 circuits. "+x" indicate additional rep for failed form)

Goblet squats:            20; 20; 20. (Holding one heavy book - encyclopedia like)

Inc push up:               15*; 10^; 15*. (*Incline push up on desk, ^Push up on 3rd step of staircase) 

Reg. lunges (bil):        15; 15; 15. 

Elbow planks (s):        45; 30; 30.

Comment:

1. Goblet Squats: Okay these feel more tiring than normal squats. But I just held a single book which could only be around 2kg, so don't know if this is a placebo effect. 
  2. Incline push ups: Tried third step in stair incline for the second set. Could only do shallow ones. Did 15 reps with desk incline push up instead. Progressing! Yayy!
  3. Lunges: 15 reps are working better than 20. Seems easier with my shoes on this time.
  4. Single arm rows: Need to add weight in the near future. Need to find a luggage weight to weigh the suitcase first.
  5. Elbow planks: Can't quite do 45s for all three sets yet.
  6. Jumping jacks

Overall comment: Sweaty! This workout plus the run took me an hour and a half though. A bit too long for my taste. I am afraid that if it's too long, I'd be more reluctant to do it when I get busy. I think that's why I need to keep adding weight and difficulty.

WOOOT!!!

I can't believe it's just two weeks since the first BBW workout I did! I think things are getting ON TRACK!!! 

Happy 11/12/13 everyone! :)

Friday is BBWW day, but I only got cardio done!

13/12/13 (Friday)

*10:00 pm, After dinner*

Cardio: 30 min bike

I actually did pretty well and felt fine once I got into the rhythm of the workout, but I was REALLLY reluctant to actually start to do it. Even though it was so easy. Right at home.

I find that strangely when I have a tight schedule, it seems easier to get myself to do the workout. I had a relaxing day and really procrastinated about going to work out. Hmm.

Now I focus on the good:

I feel really good that I did at least get myself to do half of my workout!

Good that I'm aware I feel better after working out than not!

And so my next work out is tomorrow, no excuses!

I find that strangely when I have a tight schedule, it seems easier to get myself to do the workout. I had a relaxing day and really procrastinated about going to work out. Hmm.

Totally get this.  It's just another part of the routine when you have a tight schedule, and you've already got the momentum going.  When it's a lazy day, it's much harder to actually get up and do something.

Good job getting something done!  Sometimes if just do a little bit it can be the difference between jumping off the wagon and staying on track.

No matter what the day's brought, and even if I dread hitting the gym that day, I ALWAYS feel better once I'm done with a workout.  I'm sweaty and tired and sore and it feels GOOOODDDD~~~  I feel pumped, accomplished, and ready to tackle another day.  The hard part is remembering that feeling to get going on the next workout.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

You get it! :)

I'm thinking I need to set a date and time for my next workout each time I finish one, so there is a deadline for myself. Kind of like a hard hat. With a habit of doing that, I hope my body and my subconscious will remember feeling great after working out!

Good morning and today is a new day! *stretching in the brisk morning air*

14/12/13 (Saturday)

*2:00 pm, At a playground FAR away from home -- Access to pull up bars of different heights, rings and even some dip bars, Yayyy!*

Part of body weight work out, with concentration on the arms

Regular lunges (bil): 20; 20.

Squats: 0 (Trousers too tight for squatting...  :nevreness: )

Incline push up on waist height bar: 10

Inverted rows: 5; 5.

Negative pull ups: 1; 1; 1; 1.

Static ring pull up hold (s): 15; 5 (fail!); 15; 10; 7.

Static chin up hold (s): 5; fail second set.

Static pull up hold (s): 5; 5.

Tried some dips kind of hold, but couldn't sustain it.

It's not a full workout, but I feel encouraged! There's definite improvement from 2 weeks ago when I last tried this setup! Last time I couldn't do any holds with bent arms (just sort of hung on the bar), now I can hold myself with bent arms for a bit! 

Too bad this playground is so far away. I only go there in the weekends when I visit my boyfriend's home.

Next workout: tomorrow!

Goal - Light cardio: 20-30 min

- BBWW (Legs! and plank... and arms too if I can handle it)

15/12/13 (Sunday)

*10:30 pm*

Legs of BBWW

Goblet squats with encyclopedia: 20; 20; 20.

Regular lunges (bil): 10; 10; 10.

DOMS! I'd expected them in my arms due to the pull ups holds I did yesterday, but I didn't expect the DOMS in my abs and back! Pull ups are really wonderful exercises.

Didn't do the planks today as I don't want to over-stress the already sore muscles.

:)

16/12/13 (Monday)

*9:30 pm, After dinner*

Cardio: 30 min bike. Sweat!

BBWW: (3 circuits. "+x" indicate additional rep for failed form)

Goblet squats:            20; 20; 20. (encyclopedia)

Inc push up:               15; 10; 15. (^Push up on 3rd step of staircase) 

Single arm rows (bil): 10; 10; 10+2.

Elbow planks (s):        45; 45; 36.

Comment:

1. Goblet Squats: Yup! I like how the squats feel when I'm at least holding something. Don't think my form is perfect so I'll be careful when adding weight!                                                              
  2. Incline push ups: Third step in stair incline push up. Definitely lower and better than what I could do before. Although this is really level 0 stuff... I used to be able to do real ones...
  3. Lunges: Okay, 20 lunges with shoes on should be fine. Knees feel fine.
  4. Single arm rows: These feel very difficult today. DOMS still affecting me and I decided to do 3 sets of each exercise together instead of a circuit, so that's why it's tougher today I think.
  5. Elbow planks: Can't quite do 45s for all three sets yet.
  6. Jumping jacks: Not getting why I'm doing them. But oh well

Overall comment: tried completing all the sets of each exercise together before moving on. Obvious difference in the intensity felt although the same number of reps is done. I do wonder which is better.

10 days to Christmas! :)

Whoo!  Last week of the challenge, pump it out!

Jumping jacks: Not getting why I'm doing them. But oh well

Yeah, they're not difficult, so they kinda feel like a brief respite between sets for me and they help me get pumped for each set and finish off with a bang.  If you're doing the sets for each exercise together instead of in a circuit, you could probably just leave out the jumping jacks or just do one set at the end.

Overall comment: tried completing all the sets of each exercise together before moving on. Obvious difference in the intensity felt although the same number of reps is done. I do wonder which is better.

I don't know about better, but completing each exercise before moving on will tend to focus on strength while doing them in a circuit will focus on endurance, although if you're not resting significantly between sets when you complete each exercise together before moving on, than you will still be getting more of a cardio workout and thus be focusing on endurance.  Low reps + more rest = strength.  High reps + less rest = endurance.  Or so I've heard.

Either way, I think the BBW focuses more on endurance overall, as it's a very high rep, low rest routine.  It'll definitely build strength, too, I just think you'll see more improvement in the ability to get through the whole routine without getting as tired than you'll see in strength gains.  In general, it's probably a pretty well-rounded, balanced workout that doesn't focus too hard on either extreme (strength or endurance).

So better really depends on your goals, I guess.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

Hey Rapier, thanks! I'll keep this up! Integrating this BBWW into my daily routine, little by little. It's still hard to persuade my inner inert self to put on my running shoes, but I'll there!

I guess jumping jacks are good warm up/ cool downs, but they just don't feel right! Maybe I'll dig out my hula hoop and practice the skill I abandoned after elementary school instead as warm up/cool down. I used to be able to run around while doing the hula. Would be cool pick it back up! Though I imagine it's less optimal as a cardio exercise.

17/12/13 (Tuesday)

Rest day

I'm not doing diet yet but I feel that I have to record the mistake I made today... ordering a bubble tea at the Japanese restaurant while eating out with the boyfriend. Just because of a free drink coupon. It was sweet! Like super syrupy sweet! And I drank over half of it simply because I was raised not to waste food. Eeek. It didn't even taste good.

The two habits ("free? Go for it!" And "I gotta finish all the food which chanced to end up on my plate") will be hard to break, but the least I could do is to record them.

Either way, I think the BBW focuses more on endurance overall, as it's a very high rep, low rest routine. It'll definitely build strength, too, I just think you'll see more improvement in the ability to get through the whole routine without getting as tired than you'll see in strength gains.

Yeah, I'll probably go back to doing them as a circuit. One, because it's already a high rep, low rest routine. Two, because I feel I could do more reps when doing them as a circuit. And three, because doing them in circuits means less rest, which equals less time spent in the workout! :)

And yay to the last week! Shine on your last week too, Stars!

18/12/13 (Wednesday)

*9:00 pm, After dinner*

Cardio: 3.75km over 30 minutes on treadmill (5 min warm-up/cool down, 25 min run)

Comment: It's a bit boring. But difficult! No wonder there's a mini challenge called creative cardio. I still believe that running is a good cardio exercise. That's why I'll try to do more of it even though I don't really like it.

BBWW: (3 circuits)

Goblet squats:            20; 20; 20. (Holding one heavy book - encyclopedia like)

Inc push up:               10^; 10^; 10^. (^Push up on 3rd step of staircase) 

Elbow planks (s):        45; 45; 45.

Jumping jacks:           0; 0; 30.

Comment:

1. Goblet Squats: 
  2. Incline push ups: Third workout with incline push up on the third step of staircase. It feels hard!! Feels like my arms are going to collapse on me.
  3. Lunges: Hmm. I thought I did these right, but I must have done something wrong. Coz something hurts.
  4. Single arm rows: Must add weight. Too lazy to do it this time.
  5. Elbow planks: Yay for completing 3 sets of 45s!
  6. Jumping jacks: Doing them as cool down only.

Overall comment: I may have sprained my back. My left lower back (near the sacroiliac joint?) hurts on lateral flexion to the contralateral side. It's a particularly cold day (okay maybe not too cold to you guys, but I live in a normally very warm place). So maybe the muscle spasm is especially strong. I will keep on doing light exercise and massage around it to observe for improvement. Not too worried about it at the moment, but the main thing is this shows that I've been doing something wrong. I'm guessing it's the lunges. I'm not doing every one of them the same. Maybe I twisted my back during one of them.

Anyhoo, I'm going to keep on doing this! :) Give your last week your all, rebels!

20/12/13 (Friday)

Supposed to be a work out day, but I was not well. Took two ponstans for the pain. And skipped the workout. I'd been suffering from dysmenorrhea for several years now and I've found that tired muscles exacerbate the pain.

21/12/13 (Saturday)

The last day before Christmas vacation! Yayyyy. The pain is much better now and I guess I could have done some exercise, but I didn't. Still had to take one ponstan in the morning.

Had a family do celebrating the winter solstice (yeah we are pagans) and ooh the food. Couldn't help over eating a bit.

My back feels mostly fine now.

I should resume BBWW tomorrow.

Ho ho ho! Happy Holidays everyone!

Dysmenorrhea is cramps, right? Yeah, it sucks to feel under the weather. I hope the pain goes away soon.

Hey, Christmas was a pagan holiday before it was a Christian one. Why do you think they picked the winter solstice for the birth of Christ? It's the return of light in the world. Appropriate for the birth of humanity's savior. I'm not particularly religious, but I like to study theology.

Anyway, happy Holidays! try not to overindulge! ;)

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thanks, I'm feeling much better! My cramps aren't really that bad but I try to avoid exercise during that time. No reason to make myself feel worse than I already do. :)

Hey, Christmas was a pagan holiday before it was a Christian one. Why do you think they picked the winter solstice for the birth of Christ? It's the return of light in the world. Appropriate for the birth of humanity's savior. I'm not particularly religious, but I like to study theology.

Yeah, it's really interesting how Christ may have been born on any day of the year. I love to find out roots of paganism in Christianity too. These are tidbits of information, yes, but they help create a picture of the cultural history, which I think is pretty important. Schools usually skip over this part for fear of offending religious groups. Bleh.

Anyway, Happy Winter Solstice and Celebrate the Return of Light! (by keeping fit of course  ^_^ )

22/12/13 (Sunday)

*4:30 pm, Before dinner*

Cardio: 4km run on real ground (half UP *pant*, half down *sigh*) with pooch

Comment: Just before sunset on the shortest day of the year. It's really nice to run on real ground! Haven't run 4 km in a while. It's slightly tough.

BBWW:

Only had time to do 3 sets of 20 goblet squats today. So this does not count as a real BBWW.

23/12/13 (Monday)

*10:00 pm, After dinner*

Warm up: 30 x 3 jumping jacks

BBWW: (3 circuits)

Inc push up:               10^; 10^; 10^. (^Push up on 3rd step of staircase) 

Inverted pull ups:       8; 7; 8.

Elbow planks (s):        40; 35; 30.

Comment:

1. Goblet Squats: 
  2. Incline push ups: Fourth workout with incline push up on the third step of staircase. I think the push ups are less half-assed now.
  3. Lunges:
  4. Inverted pull ups: I found a bar at home where I could use for inverted pull ups at last. The set up is not ideal, but I'll use it for now. These are much harder than the single arm rows. I could only manage 7-8, and actually by the 5th one I can't do them very properly. But I'll push myself anyway. I like these!! These will be much quicker to do than the single arm rows!
  5. Elbow planks: Really tiring today. May be due to the inverted pull ups using more core muscles or better posture, or just because I'm tired.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be joining the mini holiday challenge, but I've only got half my challenge post done, so stay tuned for my new thread!

'Night!