Critique my beginner's workout plan (young female wnating to lose weight and gain strength)

Hello everybody,

I'm so glad to have come across this awesome website and community! I'm new to working out and I would gratly appreciate any advice and recommendations you could give me.

I have done a lot of research and combined my own workout routine that I think would help me achieve my goals. I wrote a bit more about myself further down.

I was thinking of doing a whole body workout routine 3x a week, preferably on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The program would be as follows:

Alternate every two weeks: 3 sets of 10 reps / 6 sets of 5 reps 
1) Alternate: Squats or Lunges
2) Barbell Bench Press
3) Deadlifts
4) Alternate: Pull ups or Chin Ups
5) Butt Lift/Hip Raises
6)  Dips 
7) Dumbbell Shrug
8) Alternate: Exercise Ball Pull-In or Sit-Ups

What do you think? DO I have everything covered or should I add or change something?

(PS: Thank you for taking the time to answer me and help me out! <3)

Fitness Goals

•   To lose weight and to gain strength

Exercise Preference

• Body weight, barbells, bar you use for budypump, bar you use for squats

Current Physical Stats

• Height: 158cm
  • Weight: 58kg

Training History

Current Diet

• Normal; I'm trying to aim for approximately 1500 kcal of healthy food daily, but I've been slipping up on the weekends.

Current Resources/Limitations

• I have access to a gym and I have a fair amount of time available.

Are all those exercises done every day you are at the gym (except the alternating ones)?

Have you considered trying a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts? Im a 20yo female and started lifting this year - my first program was Stronglifts and I found that it gave me strength gains and great basis to move on from. It is also really easy to follow. I have definitely lost body fat since i started lifting like this and eating well so it may be something to consider.

You have the right idea to eat 'healthy', as keeping your diet in check is the thing that will make losing weight possible, but you need to make sure you are getting an adequate amount of protein so that your muscles can recover and get stronger!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Are all those exercises done every day you are at the gym (except the alternating ones)?

Have you considered trying a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts? Im a 20yo female and started lifting this year - my first program was Stronglifts and I found that it gave me strength gains and great basis to move on from. It is also really easy to follow. I have definitely lost body fat since i started lifting like this and eating well so it may be something to consider.

You have the right idea to eat 'healthy', as keeping your diet in check is the thing that will make losing weight possible, but you need to make sure you are getting an adequate amount of protein so that your muscles can recover and get stronger!

Hey, 

Thank you for your answer. I'm actually on my way to the gym to try this program for the first time. So far I have only done the work outs I linked to the previous workouts section.

I just googled to workouts you mentioned and I'll definetly look into them. Do you do any other workouts or cardio with Stronglifts or do you just stick with that one?

You can do cardio, just do it after the lifts or on days you don't lift so that the fatigue doesn't affect your form. If you are looking for strength gains though, cardio will eat into that as it will suck up some calories that would typically go to recovery and muscle building.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf