• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

Side Quest 4: Ready? And... RELAX!

What, you thought it was going to be another excruciating thing?

Of course not.

;)

After all, with everything that we put ourselves through, why should be pain and misery? Shouldn't we be doing things that let us learn to heal? Let us learn to move better? Massage ourselves and iron the kinks out of what we do?

What's that? It hurts? Aw, that's just your mind playing tricks with you. You just need to relax into it more! :D

The side quest this week is going to focus on mobility, with an emphasis on healing. If it were up to me, we'd all have LAX balls and go to work with self-myofascial release, which is painful, but good for you. But we don't all have those things, or the ways to buy them. I get that. So, here's how we'll do it:

• If you can spend time doing SMR, do it. Work it in to your warm up or your cool down (y'all are cooling down, right?).
  • If you can't do that, I challenge you to really dig into some stretching. Like, really dig in. If you're going to be stretching, you'll definitely be saving it for after your workouts. Try to hold them for time - anywhere from 20-60 seconds should give you some benefit.

Above all, relax. The goal's to come out of this in a better place than you were when you started.

(y'all are cooling down, right?).

tumblr_inline_mosb5nQbs91qz4rgp.gif

Ummmmm.... heheh, yes? Sort of? ...Um. 

Anyways, stretching! Stretching sounds lovely, I feel so good when I actually take the time... Now I just have to make it a priority!

• Like 1

I do some form of SMR every day and I really believe that it helps.  I even have the rumble roller that my parents bought me for my wedding anniversary and it is a killer.  I can only use it on my hamstrings and a little on my quads for now.  I tried it on my hips and IT band and I thought I was going to throw up.  The worst thing is the 6 inch diameter PVC ($7.95 I think is costs) pipe that I picked up at the local Home Depot.  It is a whole different type of pain, not as bad as the rumble roller but almost as bad.

The tennis ball works wonders too,  It gets into places that the foam roller just cannot touch.

• If you can spend time doing SMR, do it. Work it in to your warm up or your cool down (y'all are cooling down, right?).

You got me as well with this "cooling down" thing... And I had to google SMR (I presume you didn't mean Sexual Maturity Rating, Specialized Mobile Radio or Standardized Mortality Ratio so it has to be Self-Myofascial Release). 
Research awaits me!

:D You said "sexual maturity rating." Hur hur hur!

Aaaaaaaaand, we can see how Kishi rates on that...