In space, no one can hear your liver...

Three weeks ago, I got kicked in the head. Not literally, but metaphorically--wham! And I'm still reeling.

At my annual physical, I was told that my blood pressure was dangerously high, probably because of my weight. And that my triglycerides were dangerously high, probably because of my weight. And that one of my liver function tests was off because the visceral fat in my gut was making my internal organs scream out in pain. Again, not literally, except when I hear my liver shrieking in my dreams.

Which all seemed very strange, because I'm definitely not fat.

In fact, I've always considered myself to be notoriously skinny. Back in college, I could pack away all the junk food I wanted and never gain an ounce. All through law school, too. Because I was blessed with a high metabolism (I thought). That's still my self-image, despite all the contrary evidence.

After I scored my diploma and joined the real world, I gave up all the soccer, racquetball, and ultimate frisbee I'd been playing, because that's what you do when you're a grown up (I thought), and really, it's not as if my activity level had anything to do with my health or weight (I thought). Then I gained a few pounds, but only because I'd been studying for the bar exam, spending months alone with a stack of law books and several bags of Doritos. No big deal (I thought) because I was still skinny on the inside (I thought) and could lose those extra pounds any time I wanted (I thought). In fact, carrying that extra weight was probably good for me (I rationalized), because it made my heart work extra hard, exercising even when I was sitting at a desk (I thought, because I was an idiot).

So here I am with my own internal organs screaming for help and a BMI over 32--officially obese! Even if I lost 50 pounds tomorrow, the BMI calculator would still consider me overweight. As I figure it, that makes me more than 50 pounds overweight, and that was the kick in the head that spurred me to action. That, and all those screaming liver dreams.

Here's what I've done in the past three weeks:

• I joined Weight Watchers and started tracking my food intake. I am enjoying the aspects of this that are like a game. They give you a point allowance and everything you eat scores points until you hit the limit and have to stop eating for the day, so I'm eating less and switching to healthier (lower point) foods.
  • Wii Fit--also like a game in that I'm working out with a console controller in my hand and tracking the calories I'm burning. 
  • Reading up like crazy on nutrition and exercise, which is how I found this site.

Weight Watchers has an online community but it's not really my scene. The people seem nice and supportive enough, but I haven't been able to get into their threads. Here, on the other hand, I feel like I'm surrounded by my people. Folks who take a scientific approach and ask lots of good questions, instead of just taking the word of one expert or another. And the references to D&D and geek culture are awesome--at the first mention of Optimus Prime, I was hooked. Perfect for me because when I'm not practicing law, I'm writing speculative fiction novels and attending cons.

So I am here to lose 50 pounds, meet some cool folks, have some fun, and level up my life.

Galaxy Gamer, Level 4 Ffifnaxian Druid/Webweaver/Bard

Intro | Battle Log | Challenges: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4Current

"You may never reach your goal, but you can never quit." --R. Tarfon

welcome to NF! a word of caution - be wary of the weight you get rid of while on the WeightWatchers diet. a lot of people gain back everything they lost plus more when they come off it. however, if it's working for you right now, that's what matters. getting in the habit of eating healthy foods and paying attention to what you're eating is the best first step, however you decide to take it.  :) 
some friendly advice - be open to new exercise experiences! try lifting weights, or walking/running, or taking a sword fighting class, or anything you think might interest you. having fun will help keep you active when the novelty of exercise starts to wear off.
and that's all i'll say for now because i don't want to come off as giving you a lecture on your first day with us.  :tongue: glad to have you as part of the community, and i can't wait to see where your fitness journey takes you!

p.s. what do you play as in D&D? my character has been something of a fitness ideal to strive towards since i started my own journey here on NF.  ^_^

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Thanks, Mevre.

I'm taking the challenges as they come, so I have it in the back of my mind that keeping the weight off will become yet another important goal in a long line of important goals. That said, I'd much rather be in the position of being thinner and struggling to stay that way than being fatter and not knowing if I can get thin in the first place.

My favorite D&D character was a fighter/cleric, but that was fun mostly because it was so far outside of my normal self to tackle problems by bashing them with force or seeking divine guidance. Personally, I'd be more of a magic user because I like to have a big book of reference knowledge to back me up.

I read your thread title and had to come in. Namely, because when I first started my ketogenic diet in April I went from having fatty liver to not. Not sure if it's something you struggle with, but when I read the line of hearing your liver scream in your dreams it totally reminded me of my formerly fatty liver.

Welcome to the Rebellion~! And I'm glad things are going well - I love hearing how you've got some actions already under your belt. That's fantastic! 

Your screaming liver thanks you. It may not be now, but soon it will be screaming its thanks instead of desperation.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Thanks!  Good to hear from a fellow warrior in the Liver Wars. Just got the results of my abdominal ultrasound and followup labs--already an improvement just from the weight I've lost so far!  Hooray for less screaming.

Ah, true enough. It'll probably run the same way as always, though. Are you familiar with the challenges?

I've read the FAQ and rules, but not sure how the mini-challenge thing works. I'm aiming to spectate until the January one starts and get into shape now to hit it as hard as I can then.  In the middle of January, registration opens for the 5k road race in my home town. If I'm still feeling ambitious by that point...

In fact, I've always considered myself to be notoriously skinny. Back in college, I could pack away all the junk food I wanted and never gain an ounce. All through law school, too. Because I was blessed with a high metabolism (I thought). That's still my self-image, despite all the contrary evidence.

Wow!!! I think the same way.

Time to change it, I guess.

Jeffrey James

My Rebel Intro

Base Character: Elf

Desired Class/ Profession: Assassin

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

My Accountabilibuddies: The Renaissance Rebels

Current Challenge: #1 | Battle Log