First properly cooked meal!

Hi!

It may not be much of an achievement for some, but I had a real problem with eating take-out and fast food all the time. I started eating healthier with pre-cut, frozen veggies and meat, but tonight I have cooked my first, healthy meal with fresh veggies!

It's a pretty simple thing: ground beef, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, mushrooms and onions, with some dry mustard, salt and pepper for flavour. It's pretty tasty too. I'm proud of myself, because cooking is a PAIN for me. I know would have added some turnip to it too, but I ran out of space in the pot. Still, it beats take-out.

The next step will be cooking something with green vegetables. I have yet to find one I like.

Oh, and onion fumes are evil!

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Way to go! Cooking is awesome, and it only gets better the more you do it. Partially because you get desensitized to the onion fumes.

When you get a little bored of onions, try shallots. Onions haven't made me cry in years now; but I cut open a shallot and my eyes scream. They taste amazing though.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Hooray for you! I grew up in a non cooking household. I was easily 20 before I understood that you could make soup. I thought you had to buy it! Cooking is fun and meditative. When you cut carrots and only cut carrots, the world goes away...

You are in for a treat, a whole world of creativity and satisfaction will open up for you.

I'm so excited!!!

Here's a trick for relieving the tear gas effect of cutting onions:

Before you put your knife to your onion, turn fully away from the cutting board and take a deep breath. Hold it and turn back to your chopping until you have to exhale. Then turn away fully again and take another breath and so on. Don't breathe near your onion until done chopping. And when finished wash your hands thoroughly before going anywhere near your face. A little fresh lemon helps take the smell off your hands, too.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Ahh, that's SO exciting!! For a long time, I felt like I could only enjoy myself in the kitchen if I was baking sugary things that my friends loved but my body hated. It's really only now that I'm a full-time volunteer on a very restricted budget that I've been forced to expand my horizons. We go to a giant farmers' market every week to buy produce. Maybe you could shop around the nearest one to you? Try things, ask the vendors how they'd suggest cooking them, what flavors go well together. Definitely experiment! I never would've thought to put grapes in an omelette, but that's what we had in the fridge one day when my best friend decided to make breakfast and it was magical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Thanks everyone!

Oh, about the farmers' market : I live downtown and don't own a car, so that's pretty much out for me. My grocery store keeps lots of locally grown vegetables at reasonable prices though, so it's not so bad. Thankfully, there are tons of websites that suggest recipes on the net, so I'll see what I can find.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I have found that sweet onions bother my eyes less, they don't generally bother me unless I'm chopping up a ton. Other types can set me off pretty quickly and I get to the point where I have to put the knife down and leave the room for a bit, because it's not safe to be chopping stuff when my eyes won't open ;)

I just checked your profile and see you're in Ottawa - there are 3 markets I can think of that are fairly central and accessible by bus. Plus the permanent markets at Byward and Parkdale (not all of the vendors there sell local produce). Of course, they're not running any more until about May, with the exception of the Christmas Market this weekend and next out at that convention center near the airport (Which I assume is probably more prepared products and crafty stuff with perhaps some root veggies and apples). The Ottawa Farmer's Market runs out of Brewer Park (near Carleton) and Byron (Westboro), and the Main Street Market runs out of St, Paul University.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Congrats SilverRapier!

I grew up in a family that basically used fresh carrots, cucumber, and lettuce in salads, but otherwise everything came from a can. When hubby and I got married, we started out that way as well. Then I watched Julie and Julia and decided to make a recipe from The French Chef as a fancy New Year's Eve dinner. I had to watch videos on proper knife skills because I had no idea how to cut an onion. These videos got addictive and I bought more and more fresh produce so I could practice. Then I used the reward points from one of my credit cards to buy a really great knife. Turns out that was one of the best investments I ever made. That knife is pretty much attached to me during all meal prep and, because I took time to learn good technique, I can often chop faster than the onion fumes seem to travel.

Food Network's Anne Burrell has some really good beginners videos for knife skills on youtube that you should check out. It really is worth it to spend a Saturday morning (or whenever) with some carrots, onions, and herbs, a knife, your computer, and a nice cup of joe working through the different cuts. 

Congrats SilverRapier!

Food Network's Anne Burrell has some really good beginners videos for knife skills on youtube that you should check out. It really is worth it to spend a Saturday morning (or whenever) with some carrots, onions, and herbs, a knife, your computer, and a nice cup of joe working through the different cuts.

That's a great idea. I'm going to try that, too.

SilverRapier, check out marksdailyapple.com for the primal recipes. I've tried several and they've all been excellent.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

That's a great idea. I'm going to try that, too.

SilverRapier, check out marksdailyapple.com for the primal recipes. I've tried several and they've all been excellent.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I love the food network in general, but my favorite show is Good Eats. Alton Brown is really good at making things easy.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Congrats! That's awesome to hear :) Nothing beats home cooking, plus you can give yourself a pat on the back when it tastes awesome.

Try chewing peppermint gum while you cut onions. I don't remember the exact chemistry behind it, but peppermint can interfere with onion fumes and save yourself some embarrassing questions about why you're sobbing into the cook pot.

As far as finding a green veggie you like, I find green peppers tend to go very well with onions ;-). 

Oh yeah, I like peppers. Well, I like the taste. My problem with most veggies is that I don't like the texture, so I tend to puree everything. I found a nice frozen mix that contains red peppers, green peppers, onions, carrots and celery. I usually toss that into some chicken broth and tomato paste (both low sodium) and grind the whole thing to a mash. it makes a nice soup.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

There's really nothing wrong with frozen veggies though.  They are normally frozen at their peak and they sell organic ones.  I cook a lot and I use a mix of fresh and frozen.  Like if I am making shredded Brussels sprouts then I have to use fresh, but I absolutely love the convenience of the mini frozen ones for a quick boil and then sautee in a spicy mustard sauce.

As far as onions go, wearing contacts helps a lot!  Now that I am back to wearing my glasses I definitely get watery eyes again :(

• Like 1

Oh right... the onion thing! I forgot about actually helping with that...

I just built up a little bit of resistance, yellow onions no longer bother me, and reds sting only a tiny bit. But if you're having trouble, cold water will wash off the acid that stings. You can grab a washcloth or dish towel and soak a corner in cold water, and use that to wipe around your eyes if they sting too much. Works like a charm.

Say what you will about Mark Sisson's diet philosophy, he has a good chef on staff. I've seen some of his cookbooks and I think they're excellent quality. Even after I dropped the primal/paleo thing, I've adapted some of his recipes for my higher carb/protein habits.

Another great cookbook for new cooks is Tim Ferriss' The 4-Hour Chef. The book does a great job of teaching basic knife and cooking skills, like scrambling, pan-grilling, roasting, sauteeing... and the recipes are delicious. Especially the roast chicken. (And they're largely Paleo-friendly if you're into that.)

Cowardly Assassin

Thanks for all the advice about dealing with onions! i love the taste, but man, those fumes! I actually know how to cook, but I tend to be very lazy because it takes so long, like more than 10 minutes :) to make anything worthwhile. My mom always recruited me and my siblings to help her with the cooking. I used to wear swimming goggles to deal with the onions :D.

I don't remember ever trying brussel sprouts... What's the texture like? I hear they taste rather bitter, is that right?

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Oh right... the onion thing! I forgot about actually helping with that...

I just built up a little bit of resistance, yellow onions no longer bother me, and reds sting only a tiny bit. But if you're having trouble, cold water will wash off the acid that stings. You can grab a washcloth or dish towel and soak a corner in cold water, and use that to wipe around your eyes if they sting too much. Works like a charm.

i always just wear ski goggles when i have to cut onions...  B)

SilverRapier, this is wonderful! i used to hate cooking as well, until i was forced to do a lot of it on my Whole30 and realized how easy and fast it can be. keep up the good eating!

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Alton Brown is fantastic!! And about the Brussels sprouts... I had them for the first time this past Thanksgiving and they turned out really well. I'm pretty sure my friend just tossed them with oil and a few spices, then roasted them in the oven. They were a little crispy on the outside and apparently not as strong as those who'd had them before were used to.

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

That is a great accomplishment! I cook more now that I ever have and it is getting easier and easier. There have been a lot of duds but it's amazing when you find those keeper recipes that are healthy as well. I agree that onion fumes are evil. They surprisingly don't bother me as much anymore (I try to sneak them into everything nowadays). Cutting garlic though..that makes my eyes pour. How weird is that?! Keep up the good work. Hope you find a green veggie that you like. What about brussels sprouts? Mmm :)

Thanks for all the advice about dealing with onions! i love the taste, but man, those fumes! I actually know how to cook, but I tend to be very lazy because it takes so long, like more than 10 minutes :) to make anything worthwhile. My mom always recruited me and my siblings to help her with the cooking. I used to wear swimming goggles to deal with the onions :D.

I don't remember ever trying brussel sprouts... What's the texture like? I hear they taste rather bitter, is that right?

They do taste a little bitter, so they go well with meat and salty or sweet flavors. I have three go-to recipes: steamed and sauteed with bacon and cream (rare treat), roasted with balsamic vinegar and pancetta or bacon, and roasted with walnuts and orange sauce.

Cowardly Assassin

They do taste a little bitter, so they go well with meat and salty or sweet flavors. I have three go-to recipes: steamed and sauteed with bacon and cream (rare treat), roasted with balsamic vinegar and pancetta or bacon, and roasted with walnuts and orange sauce.

Ooh, bacon is truly a miracle food, isn't it?

Anyway, my little casserole turned out well, so I think I will keep that recipe. I made myself some eggs yesterday (plain). They were on sale: three dozen extra large egss for

5.50 $! I think I'm going to try my hand at some sort of quiche.

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Congrats on the meal! Ground beef with potatoes and veggies is always an awesome meal! If you like brown rice, substituting the rice for the potatoes gives another dish that's pretty good. And now that you've picked up some eggs you can really start experimenting with some new meals (I recommend the meaty egg muffins from the 10 Minutes of Prep meals post)!

Keep it up! The first one is a big step!

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

There's really nothing wrong with frozen veggies though.  They are normally frozen at their peak and they sell organic ones.  I cook a lot and I use a mix of fresh and frozen.  Like if I am making shredded Brussels sprouts then I have to use fresh, but I absolutely love the convenience of the mini frozen ones for a quick boil and then sautee in a spicy mustard sauce.

As far as onions go, wearing contacts helps a lot!  Now that I am back to wearing my glasses I definitely get watery eyes again :(

I would love to have the recipe for your brussels sprouts!

I would love to have the recipe for your brussels sprouts!

I sort of wing it.  For the frozen ones I warm them through in hot water and drain.  Then in a small bowl I'll mix whatever mustard (usually a dijon, brown, or random weird flavor) with salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes or cayenne and some oil- sometimes lemon juice gets added.  Then I put the still wet drained sprouts in a skillet and toss them around a little and add the sauce.  They get nice and brown from the sauce cooking off.  

The shredded ones I use fresh and run them through a food processor.  Then it's just a quick sautee in some sort of cooking fat until they get a little brown. Add a similar made up mustard based sauce.   Then I stir in bacon (I think you are veg), chopped nuts (pecans usually taste the best), and green onions for texture.  Sometimes dried fruit.