[Paleo]Pork Siu Mai meatballs with Spicy Garlic green beans and carrots

Vian

I used to love Dim sum. I'd never heard of it before until my friend moved here from Texas and stumbled upon a Chinese restaurant that served it. We went, and the best thing we ordered was the Pork Siu Mai. Randomly the other day, I thought it sounded really tasty, but alas, Dim sum is not paleo and there is lots of gluten and wheat products. The Pork Siu Mai has gyoza wrapper around it like a little basket normally, but I never really noticed the wrapper. It was just there, the deliciousness was in the filling, so I decided to make my own!

Meatballs:

1 lb. ground pork

1/2 lb. shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined (take the tails off too)

1 tbs. grated fresh ginger

1-2 tbs. coconut aminos

1 tbs. fish sauce

4-5 green onions, diced

6-8 whole dried shiitake mushrooms + 1-2 cups boiling water

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 tbs. rice wine or dry sherry (omit for whole30)

salt to taste

Spicy Garlic Green Beans and Carrots

1.5 lbs. hericots verts (small french green beans)

3 medium carrots

1 tbs. fresh grated ginger

2 cloves garlic, grated

1/4 c. coconut aminos

1 tbs. fish sauce

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

1 tsp. sesame oil

2 tbs. cooking oil

1/2 tsp. salt or to taste

For the meatballs:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the dried mushrooms in the boiling water and set aside for about 15 minutes while they reconstitute. Meanwhile, process the shrimp in the food processor until ground, then place in a mixing bowl along with the pork and seasonings. Cut the tough stems off the mushrooms and process them in the food processor until finely chopped (or chop by hand) and add to the meat mixture (bonus! save the broth created by the mushrooms to add umami to other dishes, or add it to bone broth or soup for extra flavor). Add a pinch of salt if desired, then mix well and form into small 1-1.5" balls and arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes until the center of the meatballs are no longer pink. Alternately, the meatballs can be steamed for about 15 minutes (pork siu mai is traditionally steamed).

For the green beans and carrots:

Peel the carrots. Use the peeler to peel long, thin ribbons from the carrots until they are nearly gone. Place the green beans and carrot ribbons in a large pan (I use a large 5-quart skillet thing with high sides and a lid) Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the veggies and put the lid on. Turn the heat on to medium high and let them cook for about 10 minutes until the beans are a bright green, but still very crisp. Remove the lid and stir gently, letting the sauce simmer around the veggies and reduce while coating the veggies in the sauce. I'm a little strange in that I like my green beans to be just barely over cooked. I like them tender, not crispy or al dente. Reduce cooking time if you prefer them to have more crunch. Serve along side the Siu Mai Meatballs.

I'm really pleased at how this recipe turned out, it will definately be in the rotation. Also, the meatballs can be made ahead and frozen, then just pulled out to thaw and tossed in the oven.

DSCN2585_zpse8455a86.jpg

• Like 2

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald