4 days without grains, body feeling off

ssDOit

Hi everyone,

I recently just cut out grains on Monday. My head especially have been feeling cloudy. I believe that I am eating well. Here is my typical diet:

Morning: Sweet potato with grass fed butter

Lunch: (I've been going to whole foods value lunches) Jerk Chicken, Kale, Roasted Carrots, Onions & Brussel Sprouts, and Pinapple

Dinner: Half an avocado, chicken, veggies

Snack: Walnuts

I drink a lot of green tea and water throughout the day.

Please tell me what I should be improving on. I'm really not loving this groggy feeling. Thank you!

If you're only four days in, the best thing to do is just keep at it.  Your diet looks fine, at least to my inexperienced eye, so my guess is carb flu.  While your body adjusts to low-carb, you'll go through a week or two of feeling lethargic, groggy, maybe some headaches.

Nothing to worry about, just things readjusting to the new diet.  If it continues past the first couple weeks, then maybe take another look and see if there's something missing.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

How many calories are you taking in? Going by what you eat it doesn't seem like a lot. Not eating enough could also be making you feel bad.

Wake up, lift, eat, sleep and repeat                                                                                             

STR 9 | DEX 3| STA 5.5 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1.5

http://www.fitnessjourneywithwill.com

Carb flu. When  you cut grains out of your diet, you automatically end up consuming a lot fewer carbs than usual. Your body goes through an adjustment period where it switches over to burning fat for energy instead of all the easily digestible quick energy in carbs. Make sure you are eating plenty of fat. When you cut out grains, you have to make up those calories with something else, and fat is the best thing. Go with healthy fats like coconut oil/milk, avocados, grass-fed butter or ghee, pastured eggs, and fatty grass fed/pastured meats.

Also, you should have some protein with breakfast

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Why aren't you eating grains?

They are bad?

Are you allergic?

And what the hell is carb flu!? LOL

Edit:

How many calories are you taking in? Going by what you eat it doesn't seem like a lot. Not eating enough could also be making you feel bad.

And this....starving yourself is not going to help you in the long run.

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carb flu is Paleo-ese for a massive calorie deficit, as in this thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40911-headaches/#entry809935

...which is a predictable consequence of removing a significant portion of one's diet (grains) and replacing it with something that, calorically, is not a replacement (veggies).

Invariably, the symptoms are the same as those of starving crash dieters: headaches, lethargy, etc. Just as invariably, they are cured by eating more calories.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Carb flu isn't caused by a calorie deficit, it's not the same as what crash dieters experience and paleo doesn't replace grains with veggies, it replaces the calories of grains and starches with fat, because veggies don't have many calories at all.

When you are eating 40% of your calories as grains, sugar, and starch, your body relies on that quick energy. Your brain requires carbs to function and on a standard diet, your body has plenty of them. When you remove those things from your diet, suddenly your body doesn't have all that quick energy to burn and it takes anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks to convert to a different energy source: fat. In the mean time, your brain is screaming for it's usual dose of carbs and you experience fogginess, lethargy, and headaches, among other things until you become fat adapted. Once you become fat adapted, your body can then shunt the carbs you get from veggies and fruits and the other carby things you eat straight to your brain and fuel the rest of it's activities with fat.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I eat potatoes, gains and beans every day....I guess I still don't know why someone woke up one day and decided that grain and potatoes are bad for you....lol

....and why anyone would want to endure this "carb flu" thing just to comply with someone's new "diet."

Blows my mind.

• Like 1

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carb flu isn't caused by a calorie deficit, it's not the same as what crash dieters experience and paleo doesn't replace grains with veggies, it replaces the calories of grains and starches with fat, because veggies don't have many calories at all.

When you are eating 40% of your calories as grains, sugar, and starch, your body relies on that quick energy. Your brain requires carbs to function and on a standard diet, your body has plenty of them. When you remove those things from your diet, suddenly your body doesn't have all that quick energy to burn and it takes anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks to convert to a different energy source: fat. In the mean time, your brain is screaming for it's usual dose of carbs and you experience fogginess, lethargy, and headaches, among other things until you become fat adapted. Once you become fat adapted, your body can then shunt the carbs you get from veggies and fruits and the other carby things you eat straight to your brain and fuel the rest of it's activities with fat.

Well said. 

The thing to watch out for to make sure it is not a calorie deficit is to replace your carbs with fat. A lot of times people think Paleo is just  about ditching the grains, and don't add any fat in. Then you have nothing  for energy, which is of course bad.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I eat potatoes, gains and beans every day....I guess I still don't know why someone woke up one day and decided that grain and potatoes are bad for you....lol

....and why anyone would want to endure this "carb flu" thing just to comply with someone's new "diet."

Blows my mind.

Because for some people it works very well.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Blows my mind.

From my own experimentation this is what I can say on the subject.  Generally speaking, I think it is less about the grains themselves and more about simple sugars that tend to accompany a diet high in grains.  Speaking from my own experience only, I find that the more grains I eat, the more I crave food and especially junk food.  The more I want to snack (which ends up being whatever is closest).  If I limit grains and use fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes and the dreaded potato for carb supplies, along with reasonable amounts of protein and fats, I tend to be satisfied by my meals and dont snack.  So whether grains themselves are bad or evil is up for discussion but I at least find them to be a gateway drug.  And I found a short bout with a carb flu was definitely worth feeling energetic and healthy from there after.  YMMV.

• Like 1

For many people grains actually cause a lot of health problems. Grains contain phytates, which are anti-nutrients that prevent your body from getting any nutrients out of the grains. They also contain proteins such as gluten that can cause inflammation and immune responses that cause the body to attack itself, leading to auto immune diseases like psoriasis, chrones, IBS, RA, and many others. Besides even all that, a high carb diet promotes inflammation in the body by creating high blood sugar and high insulin levels (both of which are highly irritating to the inside of the arteries and cause lesions that are scabbed over with cholesterol and plaque) and ultimately leading to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

Even if you don't buy into the whole "caveman" theory of the paleo diet (which I don't) the foundation is a low-inflammatory diet that removes foods that frequently cause allergies, auto-immune responses, inflammation, and various digestive issues in many people.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it would be worth considering the same question from the opposite point of view: say you lived at the dawn of the agricultural age, and after 10s of thousands of years everyone had been getting by just fine on meat and berries and roots, thank you very much. Then all of a sudden somebody wakes up one morning and tells you that you have to start eating millet... and RICE for heaven's sake. That bread, which no one had ever heard of was all of a sudden the staff of life. Mind blowing.

Just because something works for some people and just because people believe the same thing and go on believing the same thing for years, decades, generations, doesn't make it correct. Consider that the earth was flat. Not suspected to be flat, or largely believed to be flat, but WAS FLAT!

As humans, we constantly question our existence and strive for improvement. I think it helps make life interesting.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it would be worth considering the same question from the opposite point of view: say you lived at the dawn of the agricultural age, and after 10s of thousands of years everyone had been getting by just fine on meat and berries and roots, thank you very much. Then all of a sudden somebody wakes up one morning and tells you that you have to start eating millet... and RICE for heaven's sake. That bread, which no one had ever heard of was all of a sudden the staff of life. Mind blowing.

Just because something works for some people and just because people believe the same thing and go on believing the same thing for years, decades, generations, doesn't make it correct. Consider that the earth was flat. Not suspected to be flat, or largely believed to be flat, but WAS FLAT!

As humans, we constantly question our existence and strive for improvement. I think it helps make life interesting.

Great post.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

The fact that your head was fuzzy wasn't directly caused by a lack of grains but by your body doing a yeast detox. Everyone has yeast in their intestines with the amount directly linked to how much sugar and carbs( which the body breakers down into sugar) is available for the yeast to east. When you significantly reduce the amount of bread and other carbs it kills some of the yeast which( or who I don't know which is correct since they are technically alive ) releases toxins into your system causing temporary brain fog and or cravings for sugar of any sort. When a new equalities is reached everything will clear up. :) hope that helps explain what's going on when you feels funky after reducing carb intake.