I WILL be healthy. I WILL be fit. I WILL stay motivated.

That was the intro to my Facebook post on 10/16/13.  The rest said this:

It is said that if you write down your goals you are more successful than those who don't.  It is also said that if you make your goals know, you are more successful than those who don't. 

So, here is my written, shared goal - *I will be healthy. I will be fit.  I will stay motivated.*

For years I have struggled with health, weight, and food.  I have lost and gained and lost again. Many of you saw my most successful results at 40#'s and 40" lost a few years ago.  But I'm up 20#'s from that and not happy about it.  So, now ends the roller coaster.  Any and all of you have permission and authority if you see me losing motivation, to help re-motivate me.

That day, I found NerdFitness, discovered what Paleo is, and started making some permanent changes to my and & my family's nutrition.  More aggressively for myself, slower for them.  Since then, I have been reading, and learning, and trying new things nutritionally.  I'm following what I think would be called 80/20 Paleo, as I eat whole-fat minimally processed dairy, Greek yogurt, and still allow alcohol in moderation.  (I'm from Wisconsin, its in our blood!)

I'm hoping that I can find the support and help with personal-accountability from this group.  I've been stalking the posts and NF Facebook pages, and getting the email updates since then, and really am enjoying everything I've seen.  I am not getting the support and pushes I need from my friends and family like I'd hoped.

So, I guess I just wanted to officially say Hi, I think.  And officially become a NF member.  I've felt like one for over a month already.

Here's a little about my story...

I was a gymnast from age 3.  Loved it.  Even made pre-Olympic training at one point.  But I got burnt out and quit sometime around middle school.  Which was the worst time ever, because that lovely thing called hormones and puberty did a number on me, and when I quit working out and conditioning 6 days a week, and hormones kicked in, the weight started packing on.  The more I disliked how I looked, the more discouraged I got, the more I ate.  I'm sure this doesn't sound all that unique.

Fast forward many years.  I had a son and a daughter born while I was in my early 20's.  I also went to engineering college full time.  And worked 1 or 2 jobs that whole time, as well.  Needless to say, convenience was key.  I ate all the wrong foods, at all the wrong times of day, and slept like crap, and never exercised. Unless you'd count the 6 flights of stairs once a day to go to Differential Equations that one semester...

So, I finally graduate college in Dec of 2008.  At that time I am 5'0" and 170#'s, and miserable.  I can't keep up with my kids when they're playing.  I can't even enjoy our family camping outings in the summer anymore because I hate to wear shorts in public, and ohmygoodness don't even think about a bathing suit!

Enter "mom & me are gonna get healthy" phase.  We joined a program.  Cost a buncha money.  Follow their plan.  Eat their pre-packaged food.  Take their supplements.  Lost a buncha weight.  Sounds magical.  It kinda was.  At first.  I lost 40#'s and 40" in about 4 months.  But I was what a trainer later would call skinny-fat.  I had no energy, no strength I once had as a farm-girl and gymnast, and I was tired ALL. THE. TIME.

So, I thought I could fix that with exercise.  I joined a gym and started working with a Personal Trainer.  I had set a goal for a half-marathon that next April.  I worked out with him all winter, up until about Feb.  I was gaining weight, and it freaked me out, so I quit working out with him.  I thought, I'm training for a race.  All I have to do is run.  So run I did.  On the treadmill.  And I hated it.  HATED.  IT.

I did end up doing the half.  It took me 2:38 to complete it.  Not a good time, I don't think, but I did it, and I completed it, and I counted it as a mini victory.  And I swore then it was a bucket list thing and I'll never run another half again.  But I know never's a long time. 

That July I signed the hubby and I up for a Warrior Dash.  I thought, I was a gymnast.  I loved the stunts.  I can do that.  And holy crap, that sucked.  I also finished it.  And I counted it as another mini victory.  But I thought I wanted to die.  I had no real strength.  I could hardly lift my own body weight over many of the obstacles. 

However, this time, I want things to be different.  If you want to know something silly, my goal is to be able to survive the Zombie Apocalypse.  I love the Walking Dead, and I think, holy crap!  There's no way I'm surviving in the shape I'm in now.

So, here I am.  32-year old zombie fighting, mother of 2, wife, future bad-ass.

Thanks for reading. 

post-24826-0-52058200-1386342989_thumb.j

post-24826-0-65505100-1386342991_thumb.j

post-24826-0-66630700-1386343150_thumb.j

• Like 1

~ LvL 0 ~ Gaelic Pixie ~ Assassin-Wannabe ~

~ STR 0 | CON 0 || DEX 0 | INT 0 || WIS 0 | CHA 0 ~

Challenge 1

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Welcome CountryMama! You have a beautiful family, and your before/after pictures are quite impressive :)

I 100% agree with you about running on a treadmill, it's torture to me. So boring, and so painful at the same time. If you have trails anywhere near your house, I would recommend giving them a try. It's always more fun to run to something with a purpose than to just run for the sake of running, especially on a treadmill or around a set loop over and over.

You've completed a heck of a lot more than most people already, don't shortchange yourself. Although I ran cross country in high school and won many competitions (all short distances), I don't think I have the willpower to ever train myself for a half marathon (the furthest I've ever run at one time was 8 miles, and I was on some kind of crazy runners-high at the time). Keep at it, you can cleary accomplish whatever you set your mind to!

Let us know what your next goal/training plans are, and keep us updated :)

• Like 1

It sounds like you know where you're going and what you'll be doing next. As a zombie survivor, if you ever want to try running again, check out Zombies, Run! It's a fun running game that doesn't need you to go for more than half an hour at a time. And as Scream said, it's more fun to run with a purpose.

You've done a lot of goals that most people are still striving for. I'm guessing you're in better shape than you realize, just not in as good of shape as you know you could be or want. You're starting off great. If you've gotten through half marathons and Warrior Dash, you'll be able to get through whatever goals you set yourself up for next. Good luck and welcome to NF.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Thanks for all the welcome love!  I knew I made the right choice joining the Rebellion!

You're exactly right; I'm not at all where I know I can be, nor where I want to be. 

Since you asked, my goals are pretty simple.  Big picture is to look and feel good.  I'm beyond the scale.  I've already started the Paleo lifestyle change.  Nutritional goal(s) would be to learn more and maintain that.  A related goal with that would be to help my family transition to it, too.  My daughter suffers from gluten intolerance, so besides absolutely loving it, that's why I think Paleo is an easy goal for us. 

Vanity goal is my sister is getting married in Jan, so I'd really love to participate in the next challenge group (I've already signed up) so that I can rock this awesome dress I found.  All the bridesmaids were allowed to pick their own style, just had to match her color choice. 

More fitness/exercise-related goals are to make it to this crossfit style class called Serious Circuits at a local gym at least once a week.  Its offered twice; I figure I should be able to do that.  The second half of that is to do a simple kettlebell routine at home at least 2 other days a week.  I'm can be a big wuss when it comes to weather, and I'm in the great frozen tundra (GO PACK GO!) so outside trail running or snowshoeing for this girl isn't a real big ambition.  Even thought its dang cold for deer season, and I'll be at this Sunday's Packer game... glutoon for punishment, I guess.  Or dedicated to my passions! ;) (Its currently 1 F outside right now, without the windchill.)  Come nice weather, though, and I'll be outside a lot.

My biggest current hurdle is scheduling.  I'm a 3rd shift manager in a production facility, and that means crazy effed up hours.  The shift runs 11p-7a, but as a member of management, that means being there at all times of the days sometimes for meetings.  Add in 2 kids & their activities, and this mama's sleep is seriously suffering.  Not making excuses; just stating my current challenges.

Some more about me personally?  I know you didn't ask, but I feel compelled to share anyhow.  I have 2 high level toons in WoW (FTH!) (as well as the multitude of baby toons as any good altaholic does), and I truly enjoy all that life has to offer.  I'm a bit of a weirdo, you could say, cuz I love to break down stereotypes.  I'm a female engineer who's not socially inept.  I'm a "girl next door"-type who has tattoos.  I hunt, gut, and process a lot of my own game.  I teach basic firearm safety classes.  I grew up on a farm and know how to home-can most anything you'd want to eat.  I cook and bake when I get stressed.  I love sci-fi/fantasy books.  And despite being a huge tomboy, I love to look and feel pretty, and my favorite style to mimic is that of the Pinup girl.

So, I guess I rambled a bit more than I intended.  But that's ok.  You'll learn I'm really shy too... ;)  /sarcasm

Thanks again for the replies, and I can't wait for all the community and stuff :P

• Like 2

~ LvL 0 ~ Gaelic Pixie ~ Assassin-Wannabe ~

~ STR 0 | CON 0 || DEX 0 | INT 0 || WIS 0 | CHA 0 ~

Challenge 1

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.  - Eleanor Roosevelt