Oly Lifting, big bust, and expensive bras for larger cups

So I have a question about cleans with large breasts. My (male) coach tells us to clean by keeping the bar as close to the body as possible in every stage. Which completely makes sense. However when I do that the bar gets caught at my chest and slams back to the floor. I have to actually let it come away for a instance as it passes my chest. My cleans haven't really increased in weight and I sometimes feel that is part of the reason. I seem to clean better if I have a really tight sports bra. I'd ask at my gym, but really I can only think of one girl that could have the problem and I don't see her that often nor know her that well to be asking about how she deals with that.

I am just using compression sports bras in the one size fits all variety. I've seen some pretty reenforced looking sports bras specifically meant for DD+ cup sizes. I am a G. Has anyone tried those with lifting? I tried one on and could see how it would be good for running, jump rope, dumbbell stuff, but I wonder how it would be with barbell stuff. Particularly cleans, and squats. $60 is kind of steep for just trying it out for me.

• Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

For sports bras I have used Enell and they are the only ones I have found that help manage bounce  (I am a 36 DDD, and on the 'full' side of that cup size). I have heard Lynx is good as well, but I have not had a chance to order those yet to try. Everything else I would not recommend.   I use the other brands for PJs :)

As far as the Olympic Lifting goes, the heavier you get, the less of an issue things will be.  When I practice the footwork/mechanics of the lift with a bo-staff or broomstick,  I have been known to knock the bar out of my own hands when I am speedy on the high pull.  The guys I lift with will try not to giggle and that is about the long and the short of it (no big deal!).  When I have a solid hook grip and actual weight I have NEVER had an issue holding onto the bar or clearing my lifts (due to boobs anyways).  

One of the reasons is, the heavier things get, you will actually "lean back" in the pull to keep the bar in its vertical path off the ground.  You have to learn to "keep it close" earlier because the heavy weights getting away from you  or straying from the vertical path off the ground means a failed lift. See the picture and video and you can see what I am mean.  Lidia Valentin from Spain is a fun world competitor to look at if you want to see a curvy gal lift. (Bronze medalist in her weight class from the last Olympics). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9Ue1zuyLM&noredirect=1

4167984-3x2-700x467.jpg

• Like 3

I've only hit my boobs a couple of times, and operachica is right, as my weights got heavier it stopped being a real concern, both because I lean back and because with heavy weights, by the time the bar is at boob-level, I'm already pulling myself under the bar. With heavy squat cleans, the bar doesn't even get that high for me, 

But I started out at a 36G, and I HIGHLY advocate getting an awesome sports bra. Yes, they're expensive, but they're necessary. Think of them as being on the same level as a good pair of running shoes. If someone was running 3-4 hours a week and told you that their feet were causing problems but they didn't want to pay more than $25 at target for running shoes, would that sound reasonable to you? Probably not.

Over the past 15 months I've dropped down to a 32DD, and for the most part I've just kept one or two good sports bras that fit at any given time. Washing them in the sink and laying them out to dry is part of my evening routine. 

My personal favorite is this one by panache. It's not very compression-y, but I like that. It's got an underwire and separate cups, so it gives me support without making my skin get sweaty and mushed up (that makes me break out and feel disgusting), while still being comfortable. Other people love shockabsorber bras, enell, avita, or lynx. I usually order a few bras online (barenecessities, figleaves, herroom, brastop are all good places) and try them on. I put them on, wiggle around, put on my workout tops over them, jog up and down the stairs, etc. Don't get them gross and sweaty, but I'd say spend at least 10-15 minutes in a bra before snipping the tags. 

• Like 2

Hmm, interesting. My clean is at 95lbs. I've had it happen a few of times on the 95# clean. Maybe there is something up with my technique. I'm still super new at olympic lifting. I love it, but I'm not all that good at it. I'm not very good at getting under quickly which my two coaches tell me is why I can't jerk the 95lbs. Thinking about it maybe I haven't leaned back at all on the cleans I've had issues with. That seems to make sense some, like I didn't do a very good shrug with the lean back.

I do want to get a sports bra that actually fits right. I just haven't felt as compelled since I feel currently I can get away with the ones I have now and since I haven't ever really had an issue with them. However now that I actually have bras that are supportive through the day I wonder what difference I might have if I got a sports bra that was equally as supportive. One problem I noticed is that even though I am a 32 band I have a 12 waist and the sports bras seemed to go down farther than the normal bras causing it to be much harder to find a bra that would work.

There are only a couple places here that will actually sell 32G. Vintage how does it work for the online places? Do you buy the bras and just send them back if they don't work? Doesn't that end up costing to try it out? I saw one place that you could try them out for free then buy if they worked, but they didn't have my size.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - -

Usually you can get free shipping if you're ordering a certain amount (like $75, which you'll hit with 2 bras), and then yes, you might pay 5-8 to send them back. But you can usually get flat rate going back, so do this with several bras at a time and you'll only pay once. It's worth it. I wear my sports bras 3-6 times a week, depending on whether I have one or 2 at a time. I don't have any other single articles of clothing that I wear more often, so I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars. 

But once you've found a style that works, you won't have to return much. At this point, I know that I like a given style of bra and once I've shrunk out of my current one I know whether I need to go down a cup size or band size or both and I order accordingly. 

• Like 1

It gets better with repetition, I promise it does :)  Also, you are using a hook grip on your lifts right?

You are absolutely right that in the beginning period of Olympic lifting, your lifts go up exponentially with form practice.  When I first started I had issues snatching the empty bar.  I drilled foot work and positioning daily and went up to 85lbs within a month. Jerk is the same way.  It is all about the confidence of just dropping into the deep split for lockout. 

Went to a competition(to watch) recently and most of the people that received a "no lift" Did so because they pressed out the finish of their lifts which is not allowed in any of the official federations.  Having somebody video you while you lift will give you a lot of insight into what your body position is and what you can work on. I would recommending doing it if you haven't already :)

As per online bra ordering. I have always ordered mine online.  If you try Enell, follow their measuring chart and it should be spot on.

Ditto for Enell, I ordered online and it was fine. 

I prefer Freya ones now as they're underwired - most online shops will let you send it back for a new size as long as it hasn't been sweated on or tags removed. 

And yes, they are an investment but they are worth it - Freya and Enell (the only brands I have experience with) are really good quality. 

I do think my issue is the pulling into the shrug. Thanks for the help. I will have to try a nicer sports bra. I am just afraid right now if I do that I will lose weight and not the the same size anymore. :-/ I do like Frya a lot for regular bras. I will have to just bite the bullet, especially since I would like to start running some more soon.

OperaChica: Yes, I do hook grip.

- - - - - - - - - -