What novel(s) do you read over and over?

Loving this thread! I scanned through it when I was at the library today, and picked up "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman (which was great, I devoured it in two days. I can't wait to get the next one.) I also grabbed one by Robin Hobb, that I haven't had a chance to read yet.

But I just wanted to say- thanks for the recommendations guys! I have lots more to get through.. But keep 'em coming!

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

It's been 20+ years since I last read Dune, and I've been meaning to re-read it after catching the movie on TV a few weeks ago. Simply epic.

Yup. We moved in December and I'm just now getting around to unpacking books. Found 3 or 4 Dune sequels (put aside), but no actual Dune yet... Only 20 or 25 more boxes left though, so soon.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

There are a few:

Ender's Game- read 4-5 times

Lord of the Rings series- read 4 times

Song of Ice and Fire- reread the entire series each time a new book comes out, so more time the earlier the book is in the series

Enders Game here as well, in fact the entire series. Also the Alvin Maker series by the same author, Orson Scott Card.

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Besides the obvious ones like Lord of the Rings.

I go with a series that I started reading as a kid. Ranger's Apprentice. I have all the books in hard copy. (I think one of them got ruined when my basement flooded though).

It's in the childrens section of the book store, but I have always enjoyed the story. 

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Great topic.

I've read all 5 books in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy more times than I can count. I can now pick up any of the books, open a page randomly, and read from there entirely in context. Mostly Harmless is my favorite.

I'm currently re-reading Good Omens by Neil (may he write forever) Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. This is my third time through.

I've read all of these books more times than I can really remember.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Watership Down - Richard Adams

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

The Stand, The Shining, It - Stephen King

Anything by Richard Matheson, I absolutely love his work

Weis/Hickman Dragonlance Series

Belgariad and Mallorean - David Eddings

There's probably more, but those come to mind first

• Like 1

Level 1 - Were-gator

STR .8 | STA 3.1 | DEX .9 | CON .7 | WIS 2 | CHA .9

1st Challenge

Main goal - 12/15/14 - Get to 175 pounds from 195 pounds.  Currently at 184.5

52.5%
52.5%

No soda challenge - 12/15/14 - 99 days and counting to 180.

55%
55%

"Stop beating yourself up.  You are a work in progress; which means you get there a little at a time, not all at once." - unknown

I don't usually re-read books, but I do have a few favorites that I like to go back to:

Greenwillow (B.J. Chute) - this book is so beautiful and sweet, with lovely imagery, it just leaves you feeling happy.

Cotillion (Georgette Heyer) - I've read this a hundred times and it still makes me laugh. Heyer has lots of great books - I recommend the Grand Sophy too.

The Hobbit - I even love the way it starts. As soon as you hear that first paragraph, you just settle down for a wonderful story.

Plus there are a number of children's books that I can't resist reading when I come across them - The Ordinary Princess, The Rats of Nimh, Redwall series, fairytales....

Aspiring Master Artisan and Ballerina

It's unfortunately overplayed at this point because of the hit HBO TV series (don't I sound like a TV personality!) but ever since Game of Thrones first came out, and I mean back in the 1990s, I can read that series over and over.  I have a survival kit on my truck that has my dog-eared copy of the original Game of Thrones and my copy of Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman from his Saxon Chronicles, another excellent historical fiction (soon to be itself turned into a television series by BBC America).

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Nonfiction: Body of Work by Christine Montross. The book that inspired me to go to mortuary school (which I did, graduated with honors and passed the state exam on my first try, although I'm not currently practicing as a mortician) and just all around an interesting view into death.

Fiction: Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey. Her rich and detailed books were a massive inspiration to me as a teenager and still are to this day.

Satyr Assassin

Level: 1

STR: 1 -- DEX: 2 -- STA: 3 -- CON: 3 -- WIS: 1 -- CHA: 2

Challenges: Recruit 1

There are several books that I read again and again on a more or less yearly basis....mostly series, actually, but some stand-alone ones as well.

Les Miserables

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Out of the Silent Planet series (C.S. Lewis)

Horatio Hornblower (series)

The Chronicles of Narnia

Temeraire (series)

Anything Discworld (but esp. the Night Watch books)

The Phantom of the Opera

North and South (only read twice, but def. added to the 'every year' list)

There are others, I know, but these are the first ones I could think of off the top of my head. I have a tendency to come back to old books with dead authors before new ones, for some reason.

Multifaceted Obsessionist

Patrick Rothfuss - the name of the wind

Read that like 5 times I think and on audiobook another 8 times.

A wise man's fear too

The first law trilogy by abercrombie is also a good friend of mine, but one that makes me feel bitter at times

And I still can recall everything from Harry Potter even though I haven't read it in years

The Foundation series by Asimov and a handful of his short story collections, the Belgariad and Malloreon by Eddings, it's been a while but I've been through the main Pern books many times, and the Tower and Hive series.  Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert Heinlein.

The Deed of Paksennarion also, for a great story about a young woman who longs to be a fighter.

'Some' is not a number.  'Soon' is not a time.

Daily Log | Lessthandaily Blog

The Time Traveler's Wife will always have a special place in my heart. [what movie? there is no movie adaptation you must be joking.]

The Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide have everything I want from scifi... ethical condundrums about sentient alien species, colorful characters, quandries about existence and morality...

A Separate Peace is a book I was obsessed with in high school, and I still reread it occasionally.

Harry Potter series, because duh.

Jess the Adventurer

"jess!" on MYZONE * Goodreads

I've read all of these books more times than I can really remember.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Watership Down - Richard Adams

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

The Stand, The Shining, It - Stephen King

Anything by Richard Matheson, I absolutely love his work

Weis/Hickman Dragonlance Series

Belgariad and Mallorean - David Eddings

There's probably more, but those come to mind first

You've read my favorite Stephen King books, Belgariad and Mallorean, and Dragonlance. Can we be friends? The only people I've met who read those are my dad(who introduced me) and my bf(who I introduced)

Seriously though, have you read the Sparhawk books or the standalone novels about Belgarath and Polgara? Those are also fantastic.

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Anything by Neil Gaiman, especially Neverwhere.

Anything by Sir Terry Pratchett, especially involving Commander Vimes, Moist Von Lipwig, or the Wee Free Men.

I have been recently getting into Chuck Wendig, especially the Miriam Black series, but his fantasy series The Heartland Trilogy was good too.

The best sci-fi I've found lately has been Hugh Howey and John Scalzi.

Hugh Howey wrote Wool, which was absolutely amazing.  Long Way Home was excellent, as was Sand.  (Shift was just okay, but some of you may like it more than I did.)

Scalzi wrote Old Man's War, in which old people are sent out to fight aliens and colonize planets.  Excellent concepts.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

When I was younger, I read the Harry Potter books over and over. I think I read each one at least five times. Haven't read any of them in a while, though. More recently, I've read the Enchanted Forest Chronicles and the Wise Man's Fear (because I don't own the Name of the Wind) several times.

All of these are fantasy... I do read other things, I promise! Just none of them are coming to mind right now! :)