This One Is For The Ladies

Anyone hear about the birth control recall? I was one of those lucky ones that got a call from the pharmacy: "Hi, just wanted you to know your prescription has been recalled." aaaawesome....

Me too!! I am PISSED. Have you called your doctor? What'd they recommend you do?

Here's an article for anyone interested: http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/16/health/birth-control-recall/

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Me too!! I am PISSED. Have you called your doctor? What'd they recommend you do?

Here's an article for anyone interested: http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/16/health/birth-control-recall/

No, there is really nothing to do. I found a list of the recalled lots and I did have one of the recalls, but I know I'm not pregnant so no harm done here thank goodness. I actually work in the pharmaceutical industry, at a manufacturing and packaging facility no less, so I know first hand how bad they really did screw up. There is NO WAY all of those lots should have made it out of the building. Multiple people were slacking hardcore for that to happen. I'm pretty pissed. Just another strike against generic.

I have an appointment with my gyno this week and I'm interested to hear her thoughts about it. I'm going to talk to her about other options... lol

Yeah, once I'm positive I'm in the free and clear I am going to be making an appt. Talk about motivation haha

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

hey, so I read this thread a while back when it was on the front page and it really got me thinking about trying to get stronger, trying to lose weight and so on. Because of this I started doing a lot of research, started talking to friends who'd had it done and today I actually got my mirena fitted. I had a few days leave owing to me so as a precaution I took the whole day off, I'd also intended to drive myself there and back after Spezzy's advice but unfortunately my car broke down over the weekend so I had to walk the mile there.

It was... well, a bit alien. I've never had a smear or anything done down there so it was all pretty new. It was painful at insertion, more so than cramps have ever been but it was the same type of pain if that makes sense. I've got a good pain tolerance, not superhuman, but good. My doctor also hinted that there was a bit of a correlation between how painful it feels and how bad you experienced cramps in the past, which for me for both was not too bad. It's not exactly something I'd recommend doing as a "fun day out" but it didn't really hurt. I'm getting the occasional niggling cramp but otherwise I feel fine. I also did have the almost fainting/low blood pressure thing which wasn't fun but again, not awful.

Jury's still out on how it will affect my moods, skin, weight training and weight but so far it seems good and I'm looking forward to not having to take the pill next monday!

They/them please

Bumping this, has anyone had any experience with Implanon? Finally got mine removed today after 13 awful months. Felt like I'd had a continuous period for a year, and always tired.

Went and saw several doctors to get it removed, and have been told each time "you have to let it settle for a while, give it a chance."

Got so sick of it I went and found a new doctor, and BAM, out the same day (pretty painful removal though).

Will be interesting to see the impact on my fat loss efforts.

This is an interesting thread. When I was young I started on the birth control pill. Ortho novum I think it was and my boobs grew 5 sizes and I gained weight and after a few months I literally wanted to kill myself. I think I am the only woman I know who went off birt control when they got married and stuck with the barrier method over my 25 year marriage and never had a scare, got pregnant right away both times and had healthy pregnancies and recoveries.

That said, besides the hormones putting you into premature menopause after long time use and leaching calcium out of your bones the biggest issue with it is its harsh effects on your liver so that is one of the biggest issues with weight loss and long term health. While I completely agree with hormonal birth control for young women who do not want to get pregnant and am thrilled we all have a choice, I know that they are not for me and they are not all that healthy for any woman in the long term.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I plan on doing a lot of my own research but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with an IUD (hormonal or non) and an ongoing diagnosis of depression or other mental health diagnoses (anxiety, in particular). I was diagnosed with depression when I was 13, so I've been on some kind of medication for the last 11-12 years. I've finally found an antidepressant that helps me immensely with my symptoms. I've also grown, matured, and learned to use coping skills and what I need to do to take care of myself. Eventually I hope to go off all prescription medications, but if that's not an option I won't fight it. :)

I started taking birth control when I was 17 because I was having extremely heavy, irregular periods. I'm now wondering if an IUD would benefit me since I do experience noticeable PMS symptoms (actually, since going Paleo I barely noticed anything this month except slightly increased appetite, some cravings, and bloating for a couple days). Is there anyone out there that may have their own experiences, or know anything that could help me?

I'll post any relevant research I can dig up on this subject. Thanks!

@bondgirl so let me start off by saying that there's alarmingly little research in women's health issues (considering half the population is women) and especially in the area of hormones and birth control, and psychological conditions (like depression). That said, if you're using birth control as hormonal means of regulation, going off of hormones would... stop that. A hormonal IUD would have a small effect, but from talking with OBGYNs, if you had problems with your period THEY would much prefer you stay on hormones. Should you? That's really a personal choice.

If it's an option/feasible to you, you may try going off of hormones all together for a few months to see what you feel like before committing to an IUD (as it's a bitch to put in and a bitch to take out if you don't like it).

Regarding your heavy/irregular periods, is it possible that you have PCOS or something similar going on? (admittedly, irregular or heavy periods at 17 is really not odd in the grand scheme of things - some women's periods don't 'settle' until their early 20's) If so then your OB would STRONGLY SUGGEST you stay on hormones. (That said, I have PCOS and have never been on hormones... it really depends on how it expresses in you)

So basically... it really depends! If you're going to change your hormones (stop taking pills, etc) it is probably a good idea that you schedule some consults with your psychiatrist just to make sure that your medication doesn't need to change, or to make sure nothing goes terribly wrong. Also, eating Paleo can have a PROFOUND effect on your hormones, sugars, periods, and mental state. It may be good for you to see how your mental state and hormones settle over a few months of eating Paleo (and determine that it is a lifestyle you want to carry on indefinitely) before changing hormones, etc.

OMG I am so excited I found this post. A couple years back I had read a bunch of stuff talking about how hormones were detrimental to women's bodies in SO many ways - including muscle gain. So I stopped taking them (because I was single and didn't need them at the time...) and i didn't get a period for months. It kind of freaked me out, so I went back on them.

Anyway fast forward to the present... now married and definitely don't want kids for a few years. AND doing lots LOTS more strength training, and trying to not F up my body. So I have an appointment in a couple weeks to talk to my doc... I hope she goes along with it. Good to know the hormone ones have such a small amount in them. I suppose I'd rpefer the one without, but I guess either way will work. YAY for this thread.

Going to read through more of this thread when I get home, but just wanted to weigh in as someone with a copper IUD. There is a history of heart disease and blood clots on my dad's side of the family -> when I turned 30 I wanted to get off the hormonal BC. I'm making friends with my IUD, but there was a transition to get used to it. Heavy cramping and heavy periods are the worst part. I miss the emotional balancing effect of hormonal BC, I can definitely tell that I'm a lot bitchier when PMSing. On the plus side, no hormones, they last for up to 10 years, not pills to remember, no associated weight gain side effects.

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

Soooooo glad I came across this. I have been on hormonal BC since I was 16 (originally to regulate super heavy, super frequent periods) and have had lots of ups and downs have probably gone through 10+ brands, lost weight, gained weight, boobs grew, boobs shrunk, mood swings, acne flare ups and currently I have no sex drive. My yearly appt is coming up and was planning on talking to my doctor about other options. After reading this thread, IUD seems like a great alternative. I'll definitely bring it up at my appointment, see how my Dr reacts.

Amandolin
Level 3|Nymph
|STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 5|WIS 2|CHA 2|

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea"-Isak Dinesen
Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4

@amandolin if you're under 40 your doctor may go "OMG YOU HAVEN'T HAD KID NOT FOR YOU!!!", just so you're warned. IF you have had super heavy periods it may not be recommended for you either, though hormonal ones are going more mainstream now. Good luck! (and stick to your guns if you're really interested!)

@Lulu - apparently a third of women will have problem on the implanon, a third of women will have no period and the remaining third will have regular periods.

I can't take the pill (the synthetic eastrogen (sp?) reacts with my body and may kill me - fun fun) and the mini pill sucks, and i always forgot to take it. I love my implanon. I get a period every 3 months (sometimes even longer between them), little to no cramps and no weight gain or acne. My best friend had a period for about 7-8 months before it stopped (very light, but was there everyday) and no rarely gets a period.

I've been on it 4 years (obviously had it changed after 3), never been preggo. No pain on insertion or getting it replaced. Slightly tender the next day but not really.

The idea of IUD has always creeped me out a little, might have to try it if I ever react to what im on now

Also side note - my best friend tried about 5 different pills before going on the implanon, and turned into a crazy lady on all of them (and thats putting it nicely!!!)

I have a consultation for an IUD this week BUT for now I just took my last birth control pill and will be trying out a nuvaring. The IUD would be ideal for me BUT I keep reading horror stories from men that involve penis poking and that scares me. I don't want men scared of my vagina! :P

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

I just got Implanon a week ago. I was considering an IUD but chickened out at the last minute. No side affects yet except that my arm is kind of tender. It was really sore later that day, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Now it only hurts if something knocks me on the inside of my arm. The bruise is mostly faded and I'm excited to not have to wear long-sleeved shirts anymore (I work with kids/teens, didn't want to answer questions). A lot of the girls that I work with have gotten the Implanon and haven't had any major side affects. One went into crazy mood swings shortly after, but they changed her medication to control her mental illnesses the same week AND she found out that she wasn't going to be discharging from the treatment facility that I work at because her referring agency dropped the ball. Sooo the sudden rages and crying fits very well could be attributed to that rather than the birth control! None of the other girls have had any issues.

No idea how it's going to affect my weight or muscle gain, as I'm only just getting started on the whole fitness kick and working on cleaning up my diet. It has the same efficacy ratings as the IUD though and a lower hormone dose than the pill. I don't know if it's as low as Mirena, but it's similar. It lasts for 3 years and my doctor said that while she has seen the rare occasional IUD pregnancy, she has yet to see one with Implanon. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it :)

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

@Vixen - I've never heard of that happening (not that it doesn't, just that I have never, ever heard of that, even from ob/gyns who hear about everything). And I've also never heard of guys being afraid for their bits because of what's in our bits... aside from STDs which are tres nasty. I mean, first off, the IUDs are tiny (like, smaller than a quarter, or something rediculous) and they're stuck into your pear-sized uterus, so even if they feel like wandering around in there, they got room to roam.

I have a consultation for an IUD this week BUT for now I just took my last birth control pill and will be trying out a nuvaring. The IUD would be ideal for me BUT I keep reading horror stories from men that involve penis poking and that scares me. I don't want men scared of my vagina! :P

I- what? How would an IUD affect men? It's in your uterus! How... i don't... WHAT?

They/them please