novels to lighten the mood?

I'm looking for some good novels or author's that are humorous. Something that'll lighten up my mood and make me laugh. Sometimes I need a break from the emotional heart grabbing novels, or the suspense thrillers that I normally read, so if anyone knows of any please leave me a reply.

"Limits like fears are often just an illusion†— Micheal Jordan

To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary" Bruce Lee

"The key to success is failure" <p> Micheal Jordan

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

Someone suggested Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I also get weird looks when I tell people I've never read it or watched the movie. Lol

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

Perhaps you should try Stephen Fry's Making History. It's pretty sophisticated humor and it's about a mind-experiment of what happened if Hitler hadn't been born. Quite a fun read.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

Tempest Tales by Walter Mosley is a good read, more on the dark humour side and is about a man sentenced to hell but refused to go and has to justify his choices in life to an angel. Also, Dog on It by Spencer Quinn. A mystery novel from the perspective of a dog. Brilliant, unusual, and very amusing ^.^

Hobbit Assassin Recruit

Level 0

Str: 0     Dex: 0     Sta: 0     Con: 0     Wis: 0     Cha: 0

“Though she may be but little, she is fierce!†
― Helena, Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare

Challenge Page | Soon to be Bucket list page

Howard Shore is my homeboy

Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my favorite books of all time. I highly recommend it. I read it in ninth grade to impress a boy, and started a lifelong love of science fiction.

I just read All the Paths of Shadow by Frank Tuttle and loved it. It's steampunk fantasy, but with lots of humor. I think it has the best sidekick ever.

• Like 1

Hobbit Bard

LEVEL 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

“There's always room for a story that can transport people to another place.†-JK Rowling

An Epic Journey Begins With One Step

Find me on HabitRPG!

'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared' is pretty good, dry humour and a few grammatical translation errors (swedish author) but it does what it says on the tin... and then goes mad, there's all sorts of little adventures, from accidental manslaughter, befriending an elephant and building the A-Bomb

If you don't mind reading stuff that's nominally aimed at younger readers, might I suggest Daniel Pinkwater?  His stuff is hilarious, Surreal (in the formal sense; read 'Lizard Music' and you'll find out) and thought-provoking.  His latest trilogy is "The Neddiad", "The Yggysey", and "Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl", which involve a shoelace-fortune heir named Neddie Wentworthstein, a Navajo shaman named Melvin, several ghosts, and a girl named Yggdrasil Birnbaum.  (Don't call her Iggy if you know what's good for you.)  Other classics are the aforementioned 'Lizard Music', 'Alan Mendelssohn, the Boy from Mars', 'Young Adult Novel', 'The Education of Robert Nifkin', 'Borgel'... A lot of these are available as audiobooks on the author's website, pinkwater.com. 

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I have to agree with a lot of the suggestions on here, especially David Sedaris and Terry Pratchett.  I also like to get back into my love of scifi/fantasy when trying to get away from heavier reading.  Anne McCaffery may not be humor-based, but her books are light, fun, but emotionally grabbing enough to be enjoyable.  Have you read her Dragonriders of Pern series?  I'm actually going to re-read them once I finish the books I'm currently working through.

• Like 2

Level 0 Adventurer

(STR) 0  -  (DEX) 0  -  (STA) 0  -  (CON) 0  -  (WIS) 0  -  (CHA) 0

If you like mysteries or thrillers, I'd definitely recommend the collected works of Carl Hiaasen and Joe R. Lansdale.  Hiaasen writes about scam artists, thieves and ordinary folks in South Florida, and he's a scream.  His latest novel 'Bad Monkey' involves real estate and Medicare scams, restaurant health inspectors, and the titular Bad Monkey, who co-starred with Johnny Depp in some pirate movie.  Lansdale's 'Hap and Leonard' novels are set in East Texas, and involve a pair of somewhat mismatched friends who try to solve crimes while not getting killed.  The first book is 'Savage Season', and it's great stuff.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I have to agree with a lot of the suggestions on here, especially David Sedaris and Terry Pratchett.  I also like to get back into my love of scifi/fantasy when trying to get away from heavier reading.  Anne McCaffery may not be humor-based, but her books are light, fun, but emotionally grabbing enough to be enjoyable.  Have you read her Dragonriders of Pern series?  I'm actually going to re-read them once I finish the books I'm currently working through.

I adore Anne McCaffrey.  I second her books.  Great read.  Stay away from The Ship Who Sang if you want light-hearted though.  Everyone else has already said Terry Pratchett.  I'm afraid I don't read many light books.  Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate is fun.

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Lamb by Christopher Moore. And I second anything by Terry Prachett. I especially like The Wee Free Men and the Tiffany Aching series.

Lamb is one of my favourite books and it always makes me laugh. 

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!