Zombie Preparedness 101

It’s time to face the facts, zombies love out of shape people.

Which is why I have decided to turn this Jeff Albertson-esque, out of shape body into a lean, mean, zombie slaying machine. (Well, that, and I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.)

My name is Katie, I’m twenty years old, 5’7†and the last time I weighed myself I was near 270 pounds.

I tried for the longest time to just be happy the way that I am, and not worry about changing myself. I tried until I realized that at twenty years old, I was on the fast track to killing myself. My entire family (I mean, both sides) suffers from diabetes. My mother is Type 2, and my father is Type 1. Let’s not forget my mother’s sister, and my father’s brothers all being type 2. I am lucky enough to have avoided it for this long, but there is no telling when it will set on.

I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I have easily pack on any where between 20-40 pounds since the beginning of this year. After moving back in with my parents due to flaky roommates, I began my downward spiral. Water did not exist for me; I would go weeks without a glass. Fast food made up 95% of my diet, and we won’t even talk about the sugars, and bad carbs I have been packing into myself.

We’ll just say that I have decided it is time for a big change. I am flipping my entire life around, and taking my mother along for the ride. I want to be the best I can be, do the best that I can do, and go the furthest I can go. Feel free to follow along in my own quest, and cheer with me, as well as cry with me (because we all know those days will happen). I’m as ready as I will ever be to do this, and there is no time but now.

"Sit as little as possible. Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while moving about freely." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure." - Rowena Ravenclaw

Nothing too complex. I'm living at home again, so I kind of have to do the "eat what my parents eat" bit, which is difficult because they eat a LOT of sugars, carbs, and fast foods. Thankfully, though, I have finally motivated my mom to mix things up. I introduced her to the 'Paleo Diet', and she's skeptical, but willing to give it a shot, which rules. We're working on that nutritionally, step-by-step, and day-by-day. It's not severely hard for me, because at the beginning of last year I went strict vegan for 6 months, but got lazy and gave up when life got stressful. I enjoy fruits, and vegetables, a lot. The battle is getting my mom to feel the same. (We're a good ole Southern family. You know, the kind that have some sordid love affair with their grill.

As far as exercise, I've been tackling a beginner's running program that is kind of an amped up 'Couch to 5K'. I'm pretty stoked on it, and I haven't gotten tired of it, so far. I run/walk every other day for a collective 30 minutes, then walk on the 'off days' for 30 minutes. On off days, I've been thinking about adding in the 'Angry Birds' workout, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, or a bad one as far as recovery goes. Any idea's on that one?

That's all I've got, so far. Well, that and my GOAL. I finally set one today, and I'm so excited about it that I cried for a good ten minutes. My goal is to run my first 5K. Lame, sure, but when all the running you've ever done is through COD maps, it's a pretty exciting thing to look forward to.

"Sit as little as possible. Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while moving about freely." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Okay, so, first of all, I have to be a bit of a jerk. "wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure" is the Ravenclaw house motto, and is attributed to Rowena Ravenclaw. Not Luna.

/end Nerd-litist

Paleo is awesome! I've been eating paleo for about 7 months now and have lost 44 pounds! It'll really help you guys. AND if you love the grill, that's even better. A grill is probably the thing that would help me the MOST in going and staying paleo. You just get so much flavor!

Running is great -- just be VERY careful running when you're that overweight. My taekwondo coach really cautioned me against it even at 165 lbs, cause I could do some serious damage to my knees. BE CAREFUL! Knee injuries are the worst.

You got this, though! I can't wait to see you posting in the woot room. :D

HAH! Fail. I noticed it on the RP website I'm on, and it was credited to Lovegood. I suppose I should have actually looked into it first. >__<

I'm definitely being cautious. My close friend is 19, and has had about 3 knee surgeries, and struggles with it daily. All from being a goober at a concert, and kicking out her leg wrong. I definitely want to avoid that!

I can't wait, either! I'm already excited!

Just creeping around, and noticed you weren't sure when to add in the "Angry Birds" workout. I'd do it on those "off days" from the running program, so that way you're essentially running a Cardio/Strength Training alternate schedule. That's what I'm trying, and I'm not dead yet (although I'm only 4 days in XD)!

How to do a pull up: Level 2

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Red Green

Haha! Good deal, thanks so much! I was hoping it was as good of an idea as it sounded in my head. X)

Ha! Rule number one: Cardio! Love it... yes, you will be zombie meat if you don't shape up!

Sounds like a good plan to me. And I agree about adding the angry birds workout in. Building muscle will help burn fat better than just cardio.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thanks so much! I'm definitely feeling muscles I didn't think existed after all of this working out. But, boy does it FEEL GOOD!

I'm glad I added in the angry birds workout!

Yeah! I'm not as sore as I had been after circuit training round number 3, so I might be doing some adjusting soon...Haha

Also being a continued creeper and noticing you're from Texas, wallflower...Love seeing another Texan around here! :D

Today's a cardio day for me! Got a mile and some Frisbee waiting for me in some 10 hours.

Haha, we all have a little 'creeper' in us. :P

Texas is great! Minus the ridiculous weather right now. I'm not sure where you are, but here, it's hitting 110 today. BLEH.

So glad I'm not alone. :D

Yeah it's supposed to (has by now) hit about 105 here. Which is why I have to be so careful when doing my mile pre-Frisbee at 6:30...it's still so hot!