Sleep And Weight Loss - I Cannot Stay Asleep !!!!

For many many years now I have struggled with getting quality sleep. I fall asleep very easily but after 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours I wake up and stay awake tossing and turning. I've tried different mattresses, pillows, cutting out coffee, etc, etc and nothing seems to help other than chugging Nyquil (which I really don't want to do on a regular basis!).

A lot of the reading I have done lately suggests a poor night's sleep makes it harder to lose weight, have energy, etc. Has anyone had this problem? Would love to hear any natural suggestions for STAYING asleep. Most of the tips and "tricks" I've read are to get you to fall asleep. That's not my problem.

I'm listening (because of course I'm awake staring at the ceiling!!)

This looked like a decent response to a similar question.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/insomnia/AN01611

Have you tried removing your alarm clock from sight? I need to do this as I wake up and get anxious that it is 2:30 Am and fear I won't be able to get back to sleep.

I hope you find answers soon! I can only imagine how hard this would be. I am a very grumpy person if I do not get enough sleep.

A lot of it may be simple body core temperature. I struggled with this for a long time until I realized that when my core temperature was high and in the normal range, I tended to be more restless and typically would wake up more frequently. However, if my body temperature tended to run a few degrees cooler, my body was more willing to stay in it's hibernating state while it rejuvenated. It's why people tell you to take a hot shower or a warm bath right before bed. You go from really hot, to really cool in a short amount of time and your body is content to run on neutral for a while. You might need to get a slightly lighter blanket and steer clear of waterbeds/electric blankets.

I recommend exercising in the morning as well if this is an issue. Your body might be holding onto it's energy longer then the rest of us. Stay away from late afternoon/evening work outs and you may find you can get through a few rem cycles later in the night.

~"A bruise is a lesson, and lessons make us better"~

Ahh! I'm having this problem lately as well. I'm definitely turning on my fan tonight to try and cool down the room. I've just recently started closing the door most of the way so that the light from the fish tank (in the living room...) doesn't get into my room. Definitely going to see if making it cooler helps.

Everlaststar, I had never heard of that before! I'll have to see if I do better on weekends if I exercise in the morning (although some activities I have are scheduled for evening, so no getting around that...)

How to do a pull up: Level 2

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Red Green

I've actually gone to the doctor for my middle of the night insomnia. I stop drinking well before bed time to cut out the chances of waking up to go to the bathroom. No tv, no computer in bed. I keep my room cool so I don't wake up from being too hot. I block all lights, including the display on the dvr/dvd/etc. If it takes longer than 20 mins to go back to sleep, I get up, walk around. If I'm hungry, I eat something small (I absolutely cannot sleep if I'm hungry). If I'm still up, I purposely try not to go back to sleep and that usually works if all else fails. Trying to force yourself to sleep is beside the point of sleep being a natural, passive act, so in the long run, it makes it harder for you to fall asleep if you're trying to force yourself to sleep often.

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."

— Thucydides

An Amazon in Training - Fitblr & Progress. Food Buffed - Food Photography. Advised by Zeus - Personal Tumblr.

A lot of it may be simple body core temperature. I struggled with this for a long time until I realized that when my core temperature was high and in the normal range, I tended to be more restless and typically would wake up more frequently. However, if my body temperature tended to run a few degrees cooler, my body was more willing to stay in it's hibernating state while it rejuvenated. It's why people tell you to take a hot shower or a warm bath right before bed. You go from really hot, to really cool in a short amount of time and your body is content to run on neutral for a while. You might need to get a slightly lighter blanket and steer clear of waterbeds/electric blankets.

I recommend exercising in the morning as well if this is an issue. Your body might be holding onto it's energy longer then the rest of us. Stay away from late afternoon/evening work outs and you may find you can get through a few rem cycles later in the night.

I'll second this info. For me, I can't sleep at all if it's hot, so I've got a pretty light blanket on my bed, and have a ceiling fan directly over the bed as well. I don't always shower before bed, but I've found that on the nights where I do take a hot shower before bed, I usually seem to fall asleep (and stay that way) much easier.

Another thing to try is those little breathe right strips you stick on your nose. Those open up your airways and make it easier to breathe through your nose. When I use one of those things, i generally sleep like a rock. I guess my body doesn't need to work as hard to get the oxygen it needs when I use those.

I'll also advocate on body temperature being a huge impact on my sleeping patterns. On nights when I wake up early and toss and turn the rest of the morning I try to get out of bed pace for a moment, use the rest room, just get out of the bed and try not to wake up too much. Do you find yourself unable to sleep or returning to random thoughts/dreams as you try to go back to sleep? Sometimes I will fall back asleep but continue to have the same dream/fear that will continually wake me up. Getting out of bed for a minute of two helps break the cycle and solve that.

Cheap box fans are also really good for a consistent, light droning noise in the background which is nice, especially if you have erratic noises in your home.

The link Drakenator posted is great stuff. Follow that and you should be alright.

If I can't sleep, I just start thinking about stuff, without keeping track of them. It's pretty easy to do, actually. Just find something that really sucks you in. During the night, dreams I just woke up from work especially well for me. Try it out, maybe it'll help you. ;)

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Well it looks like based on all these responses I need to try messing around with my temperature when I sleep. I know my wife loves to sleep next to me in the winter because I put off some major heat! Maybe that is indicative of the problem. As usual great responses and link from the NF community! THANKS.

P.S. Antiope > Love that quote from Thucydides! Stealing it for sure.