Hobbit with the Heart of an Amazon - Battle Log!

Welcome to my Battle Log!

I'm here to kick some tail, bust down brick walls, forge new paths, and take the enemy down! 

Join with me! I welcome hi-fives, advice, and "go get 'em"'s! 

Stats:

Name: LyricalSharon

Height: 5'1 3/4"

Weight: Don't know for sure but it's somewhere around 150 lbs...will update soon!

Other Stats: Erm.... lemme dig out my measuring tape here... will update! 

Picture: Yeah I just ate. Talk to me tomorrow morning. 

Main QuestFit in size 4 jeans by Nov 27 2015 (Current size: 10/11-ish)

Three Goals

1) Take dog for a walk 5 days a week

2) Do Angry Birds Workout on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays

3) Have a glass of water with every cup of coffee I drink

Truth be told, I have a bit of a battle plan beyond these three goals. These three are great steps to train me for bigger baddies - the biggest baddie of course is fitting into those size 4's, which I don't think I've been in since I was.... well, nevermind. Imma take it down! 

But here's the upcoming battle plan: 

Quest to get me on the path to kicking the Main Quest's behind:

Complete the April 2014 Sun Run! (10k)

How will I accomplish this quest, you ask? Let me tell you:

1) From now until January 19, complete the first 3 goals outlined above.

2) Before January 19, invest in some decent running shoes.

3) Starting January 19, embark on the 13 week beginner's running program (designed specifically to train couch potatoes to run 10k by the end.) 

Sounds complicated, but I've done the running program before, and it's a great way to get in shape. It is based on walk/run interval training. I just can't do it at the moment because I don't have proper running shoes, and well, it's Christmas time. Between travel and presents, it's a financial no-can-do. (Excuses excuses, I know. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wish-list.) So instead, I'll get my butt in gear and walk and strength train - because I CAN do that! 

Also, the Angry Birds workout is tiered enough that I can keep on it for a while and still be challenged. There's nothing like working out and feeling bored - something that drives me cray-cray! (Yeah I went there). 

Ok fellow Rebels! Let's dooooo iiitt!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

LyricalSharon

~Hobbit with the heart of an Amazon~

LVL 4 STR 7 DEX 1.5 STA 8.75 CON 5 WIS 3.5 CHA 3

I'm getting this road on the show... 

This is so much cooler than [insert diet program]

Battle Log Current Challenge

Today's a bit backlogged..... bahaha see what I did there?? Haha....*ahem*. 

Yesterday (or was this Saturday? I can't remember. Whatever.):

took mutt for 45 min walk.

drank at least 3 glasses of water

consumed: roasted chicken and veggies, raw carrots and celery with dip

Today: 

Took myself (but no mutt) for walk, total 30 minutes

drank: at least 3, probably 5 glasses of water (I know cuz I've had to....nevermind.)

consumed: more chicken and veggies (leftovers ftw!), more carrots n dip, butload of quinoa cuz I LOVE quinoa!!!!, caesar salad wrap x2, hmm at least 3 coffees (yes I consider coffee food)

Did Angry Birds Workout! In my house! Which I hate but I did it anyway! Including:

2 sets of squats: 18 & 20 (could have done more but I know I'll feel it tomorrow)

3x 5 knee pushups (hardest things for me... I'm looking forward to improving)

2 sets inverted rows (20, then 15)

2x 30 seconds plank 

So I actually go to level two in A.B. in each exercise except for pushups. 

huzzah-poster.jpg

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

Great to see you have set this up. I will be here to cheer you on.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

yo

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Huzzah!

And push ups make me suffer too, I feel your pain. There's gotta be a trick to that. Anyway, go get 'em! Woooo!

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

One of the hardest things to do, I reckon. Particularly when we all tend to see ourselves worse than we actually are.

Well done for taking such a brave step.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I used to hate pictures... it's one reason I can only find ONE from my heaviest weight....

now I take them ALL da time

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

and I am proud of you for taking/posting them!!!

Spoiler

One of the hardest things to do, I reckon. Particularly when we all tend to see ourselves worse than we actually are.

Well done for taking such a brave step.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

and I am proud of you for taking/posting them!!!

Thanks!!! I'm excited about the next time I take a picture, because there's going to be an improvement! 

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

that always depends on how soon you take photos ;)

Spoiler

Yep, people seem to generally take monthly photos, so I'm aiming for that. I am a little impatient, so I might for now do pics every two weeks, but I'll keep in mind not to get discouraged if I don't see marked progress right away. 

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

Today (Dec 17):

Slept till 10. It was awesome. But that meant I didn't take the mutt for a walk. BOO! No wait, that's a lie. Walked her to the post office and back. Totally not that long of a walk...but I did it, right?  :lemo:

I sanded and painted a couple of walls in my office. I also made royal icing tonight with a friend... it takes 10-15 minutes of beating. In both the sanding/painting and the beating (he he) I noticed that I'm still feeling the Angry Birds workout. I'm actually really excited to do it again tomorrow (since I did my first round yesterday). My arse, quads, lats, pecs, and abs are all telling me they exist. Oh yeah and my hamstrings. And my upper back muscles.  :tiger:

Ate:

Stir-fried quinoa and peppers with over easy eggs and salsa. You should try it, it's delish. (With the right spices, of course). 

BLT with massive amounts of lettuce and tomatoes... and mayo.... and chips on the side. I was at a friend's.... that's my excuse. Mmmm bacon. 

Small assortment of chocolates: two toffifees, probably 10 dark chocolate melting chips. omnomnom.....hey I forgot about my advent calendar... I think I am behind a few days! Muahahahahahahahahaha...............

Carrots and the last of my salsa con queso. Interesting observation: I used to try to be virtuous and just have raw fresh veggies with no dip, but all that's amounted to is me avoiding raw veggies like the plague. Or buying them with the intention of cutting them up, and having them sit and go bad in my fridge. But in the last 3 days I have polished off at least 8 carrots (big 'uns), and a whole crown and stalk of broccoli, just because of this (now empty) jar of salsa con queso. So no, I don't think maowing down on processed cheesy gunk is healthy for me - but the principle of "hiding" my veggies in some delicious sauce or dip is excellent. FIrst and foremost because it sates my craving for crunchy tasty yummies but I am NOT indulging in a bag of chips. Secondly because I'm getting way more vitamins and minerals than chips. Thirdly because I am slowly changing my tastebuds and rewiring brain connections and other body chemistry by eating more vegetables WITHOUT giving me the feeling of withdrawal or lack or starvation! Kinda like what was said before...trick the brain/body into binging but without binging on crap food. Eventually I hope to teach my body that it actually likes vegetables... and then I'll slowly wean off of processed disguises. 

Drank: 

Mmm coffee. Hey wait I only had one coffee today!!! Another Interesting observation: I think the reason I drink so much coffee is I am actually just really thirsty, not needing lots of caffeine. I've noticed this before, that the more water I drink, the less coffee I need. Also, I have already noticed a difference in how my skin feels with higher intake of water.

Three-ish glasses of water. I'll probably have another before I head off to bed. 

Dude I am so excited to get up tomorrow and "play" Angry Birds! 

• Like 2

LyricalSharon

yeah... hiding them is awesome... :)

but hiding them in healthy stuff is awesomer!! so while the salsa con queso may not have been the best choice (could you find a healthier alternative for the processed cheese? REAL cheese in salsa maybe?? or just try using salsa as a dip... hummus??)

Spoiler

yeah... hiding them is awesome... :)

but hiding them in healthy stuff is awesomer!! so while the salsa con queso may not have been the best choice (could you find a healthier alternative for the processed cheese? REAL cheese in salsa maybe?? or just try using salsa as a dip... hummus??)

Hmm. Yes, you are right. The salsa is too acidic for me to enjoy them with vegetables, though I do eat hummus with carrots. 

I decided to compromise and add salsa to my ...new, *ahem*... jar of salsa con queso. So less processed cheese, more salsa. Also, a buttload of broccoli. I will actively look for a healthier alternative to canned plastic cheese goodness.

Today's Battle Log:  

Ate: Eggs with stir-fried veggies for breakfast. One 12 oz 1% latte. (I love having an espresso machine at my work). Chicken club sub on whole wheat and loads of veggies, 1/2 for lunch, 1/2 supper. Bag of baked lays. One five-alive juice bottle. I was at a board meeting tonight and someone brought candies...sigh...so I had a cup or cup and a half of liquorice all-sorts, gummy bears, and werthers. Ergh. As mentioned above, crown/stalk of raw broccoli, one carrot, and 1/2 cup of salsa/plastic cheese mix. 

Drank: at least 4 cups of water. I'll drink another before bed. 

Workout: Walked la mutt 3.7 km in 42 minutes. Was nice to get out for a brisk walk. Felt it in my shins and hamstrings and hip flexors. Yes I stretched after. 

Also did (most of) Angry Birds Workout! 

4x15 squats

1x10, 3x5 incline pushups

1x30 seconds plank, 1x8 seconds cuz my arse is still kicked from two days ago! (That and my dog kept whipping my face with her tug toy.)

Haven't done one arm rows yet - partly because I think they're stupid and it feels weird to do them, and partly because well.... ah crap there is no excuse. [Remember: In the Rebellion there is no room for the lazy or liars!] Hold on a sec. 

Ok. 1x20, 1x15 one armed rows, each arm. There. Done. Nothing like writing out your excuse to show yourself what a dumb excuse it really was. 

Good job, me. 

Side note: Tomorrow I start a two-week house-sitting gig. It's on the other side of town, away from my lover the convenience store, and the only transportation I have at the moment are my own two feet. My town is not that big; I can walk from one end to the other in 10-15 minutes, so transportation is not that big of a deal. So that means that I won't have easy access to crap food, and if I really want it, I'll have to walk to get it. Which I guarantee won't happen since most of my junk food cravings happen at night and I live in an area that hosts cougars, and bears that haven't gotten the memo that they're supposed to be hibernating. Survival instinct > junk food cravings, FTW! 

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

I understand... I never used to like my veggies raw or naked :) 

now it's the only way I eat them :)

yay for survival instincts! maybe a 2 week break from the convenience store is exactly what you need!! 

Spoiler

Hey Sharon!

You're doing the Angry Birds, right? (checking above.... right!) The one arm rows are can be a bit annoying, but you will feel them in your back if you do them right. I'm doing Angry Birds too. I hate the planks, but what can you do?

Keep up the good work!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Love reading your posts. They make my day, not in a sad creepy way but a hahaha, this is soo cool way!

LOL thanks! Stop in anytime! 

Hey Sharon!

You're doing the Angry Birds, right? (checking above.... right!) The one arm rows are can be a bit annoying, but you will feel them in your back if you do them right. I'm doing Angry Birds too. I hate the planks, but what can you do?

Keep up the good work!

I don't feel them in my back, I feel them in my triceps and deltoids (the shoulder muscle?). Am I doing them wrong?

I used to hate planks, but during the summer I had a fitness binge and I was tracking all my workouts keenly. I was doing them sorta well, and was also doing side planks too. I had the goal to be able to do planks with one foot raised. (Didn't quite get there, but I will). I don't enjoy doing them when I'm in the middle of it, but I love the feeling of being strong. By the way, I sneezed this morning and my core hurt. And I rolled out of bed because my core hurt. (Not in a bad way, just in a "HELLO!" way.) 

LyricalSharon

Thursday, December 19:

Today's goals didn't go so well. Not that I had a particularly bad day; I got a lot accomplished personally. I just didn't meet most of my goals.

Such as:

Didn't take mutt for a walk. Except to the post office... which is 5 minutes away. And to the hair salon, where I booked an appointment for a trim, finally! On the way back I was stopped by someone in a very nice car, which Mutt decided to jump up on.  :nevreness: whoops.... 

I drank 2 glasses of water. Which, if you consider my goal is to drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee, and I had a 24 oz cup (a la the convenience store. It's very convenient; I can take a week's worth of coffee with me all at once!).... that's not so bad. 

Well, I don't have a written goal of eating healthier, I just want to be aware of what I am eating. I had quinoa with eggs and stir fried veggies for breakfast and lunch, and then chicken breast with (loads of) (white) rice and (a few) roasted veggies. Plus two mini kinder eggs, and currently I am eating cherry tomatoes, tostito rounds, and salsa. PLUS rooibos tea with cinnamon dolce syrup! SO GOOD!!!!!!!! 

Yep. So not horrible, just not awesome. 

I've been working all this week on painting my office. It needed to get sanded and primed before paint. I've almost all of the primer on (except for a couple spots) and today I was painting the ceiling. I discovered why most (read: smart) people paint the ceiling before the walls. Those couple spots I still need to prime? Yeah. Ceiling paint. Considering that 1/2 of my office is covered in dark grey primer, white spots and splatters kind of stand out. 

You want to see the colours of my office? I thought so.  This on one half: 

MPC00092042-2.jpg

This on another half: 

Royal-Purple.gif

Not quite the shades, but you get the idea.  :pirate:

Night Rebels. I'm tired and it's my first night at the housesitting gig I'm doing. Imma try to sleep. Or watch Star Wars. 

MMMM definitely Star Wars. 

LyricalSharon

Well, after a 3-day hiatus/hibernation/don't-wanna-'fess-up-that-I-binged-weekend..... I'm here. 

Yep, I was "too busy/forgot" to do the Angry Birds workout on Friday. And Saturday. And I've legitimately been busy, what with working at a church and Christmas being like...tomorrow. But today is Monday, my scheduled day to work out, so I shall do it. Thank God that I can do segments of the workout throughout the day. *hi-fives Steve Kamb*

I'll give you a small rundown of what I ate these past few days:

scrambled eggs w/veggies

a-mazing beef stew, with delicious root veggies including beets

more toast than I've had in 3 months...with real butter.... omnomnom

Almost an entire bag of tostitos 

Half a jar of salsa

quarter of a jar of salsa con queso (I'm actually a little sick of it now, so that will work in my favour)

shortbread cookies

shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate

orange cream-filled chocolate

m&m cookies

advent calendar chocolates 

coffee with eggnog (so. GOOD.)

coffee with cinnabon creamer (see above parenthesis)

pepperoni sticks (in my scrambled eggs)

homemade smoked salmon (straight up, or in eggs, or any way - just so darned tasty)

chicken & cheese burrito with bbq sauce and sour cream (don't knock it till ya try it)

chicken nuggets with bbq sauce

kolbasa slices

chocolate cookies

I think that's the whole list. 

Yesterday I did manage to drink probably 30 oz of water, maybe even more. 

Didn't take the dog for a walk. I am without a car so I will be walking to my various appointments today. I did walk yesterday to a friend's house. Took me 15 minutes. I did 4 squats on Saturday...lol.

The fact is, I am still on this forum. I am still posting. I am still being slightly active, and I am not giving up or hiding from it just because I didn't meet my expectations fully. That is something I learned is key to success - keeping on, even though I may have messed up along the way. 

I am going to keep doing this - keep posting, keep logging, keep squatting! Four squats is better than none, and 15 minutes of walking is better than none. One glass of water is better than none. 

Something I learned about the tortoise and the hare: we hi-five the tortoise because he slowly and steadily, without stopping, walked the race and won. But there's something to be said about the hare: though he went fast for a short while and slept, then went fast then slept...he still got up and crossed the finish line. 

Whether I go slow and steady, or in fast bursts, I want to cross the finish line. If I am like the hare and sleep for a while, I want to wake up and keep going. If I am like the tortoise, slow and steady - I want to cross the finish line! 

• Like 3

LyricalSharon

You can do this. I believe in you. Something is better than nothing.

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

busy happens

just get back on the wagon :)

Spoiler

So just want to say, I am excited about participating in my first official challenge. I really want to level up, both in real life and the real life rpg thing. I am still confused as to whether I post about my current challenge in my challenge post or in my battle log. If in the challenge thread, then I guess i only use the battle log when I am not doing a challenge??? A little help with that would be good.

Also, you probably realize if you're reading this that I have not been around for two weeks. It's cuz I was house sitting and wasn't really doing anything productive except eating. And eating all the wrong foods. I think I may have to redo my starting pictures because I think I gained a few pounds. (Feels like 10!) 

I did find my measuring tape, so Monday morning (when the challenge officially starts) I will measure myself and post it. 

Also, I just really need to tell you that I just finished eating a baked potato with margarine and Maple Bacon Sea Salt from Epicure. SO. GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be even better on baked sweet potato, I am sure.

For my 6 week challenge, I modified my goals a little. You can read it in my challenge post, or I'll just tell you now. 

Main Quest:

Fit into size 4 jeans by Nov 27 2015

My Three Goals:

1. Take la mutt for a walk or run 3 times a week (last time I put 5 but that was crazy. This is more realistic.)

2. Do Angry Birds workout 3 times a week.

3. Drink one glass of water for each cup of coffee I drink. 

My motivation is the fact that I want to feel good getting dressed. I don't want to be frustrated every time I pick out something to wear, or when I go shopping, or when I want to wear something nice. 

Other underlying motivation for me to complete this challenge is that once I level up, I can start to complete side quests and life quests. I already have a few lined up in my brain that I want to get started on. This kind of reminds me when I used to play Zelda and I'd come across some tempting quest and didn't have the correct item to unlock it. It would taunt me. And inspire me to find whatever I needed to unlock it. And it was always so satisfying when I finally did.

large.jpg

One thing that kind of sunk into me with this battle log: I really did unconsciously take on too much. Whilst trying to accomplish all my previous goals, I still tried to look after what I ate, and thought about all the other things I need to change about my life. Which is why I am making a conscious decision to not get upset about things I eat this time. I'm not even going to record it. (Unless I just want to share it for the sake of sharing). I am not going to waste willpower on stuff that is not directly related to kicking this challenge's butt. I want to succeed at it. 

I do think that the NF philosophy of small, manageable changes is really the best. That's why I am not going to jump into those side quests, either. I am going to focus on the challenge I have right now. My goals are enough right now. I really am going to make SMALL (manageable) changes... and hopefully I'll be able to stick with them.

• Like 3

LyricalSharon

baby steps lead to success :)

you can do it!

Spoiler