Hi, I'm new and have a few questions about how heavy is heavy lifting for a beginner?

Hello, I'm Carlee, nice to meet everyone (she says to her computer screen in her empty house. Story of my life, really). I've been attempting to start weight training in the last month. Over the last year, I lost 50lbs, but in Sept. I had a microdiscectomy on my lower back, and gained 20lbs back and lost most of what muscle I had before the surgery because my activity was very resricted for the first 8 weeks. I have a very active job (Nanny. I chase 3 kids 3 and under around 10 hours a day), and once I got the go ahead from my doctor, I decided to start researching how to build strong muscles so I can prevent ever having to have surgery again (being 25 and having already had back surgery due to bad genetics is a real bummer). After randomly stumbling through my gym's weight machines for a few weeks and being confused by everything I researched about weight training online, I stumbled on to NerdFitness. So for the last two weeks I've been following the plan from How to Build Your Own Workout Routine, and I've pretty much been eating 75-80% Paleo.

The only problems that I'm having currently (after having conquered my fear of the free weights section of the gym) are:

a) My gym. It has no barbells. Seriously. But, I'm locked into at least 6 more months there, so I have no idea what to do. I would love to do proper squats, deadlifts, and presses, but I'm not sure how to go about it without barbells. My gym does have Smith machines (yes, I know, I have read how bad they are. I understand, but I wasn't weight training when I signed a year contract) and dumbells. So my question is this: How do I go about being able to do any of these lifts without the use of barbells? Are there any that I can do on the Smith Machine while still maintaining proper form? Are there any that I can do with dumbells instead?

B) I know enough by now to lift "heavy." But, what is "heavy?" For example, I've been bench pressing 50lbs (I'm weak, no poking fun) for 3 sets of 10-12. By the end of each set I'm exhausted and my arms are shaking. Is this enough? Or should I--as Stronglift suggests--lift more but for less reps? The only thing I worry about with lifting more for less reps is the risk of injuring myself again. I somehow managed to herniate a disc severly enough to undergo surgey without actually having an initial accident or injury to cause said herniation. My genetics and body just rebelled against me and decided to herniate for the fun of it. So I'm concerned that if I lift too much, I may cause a reherniation, or herniate another disc.

Thank you in advance, and I really look forward to immersing myself in this community!

Dude, it changed my b ) into a guy with sunglasses. Totally changes the tone of what I was trying to say. Curses to emoticons for destroying my proper list making!

Yeah, but you looked so cool doing it!

I'm not an expert on weight training, but with the injury (and chance for more) it sounds like conditioning might be best for you. You might want to post in the weight-lifting section of the forums, the peeps that hang out there really know their stuff!

Race: Half Elf/Human. Class: Wildling Ranger. Level: 3 STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 5 WIS: 3 CHA: 0 

First Campaign Second Campaign

Daily Campaign Battle Log

MY FITNESS PAL LOG

Hello and welcome Carlee!  Congrats on what you've accomplished so far, even with a setback.  Which you didn't let stop you or get you down, so that's pretty awesome.

There are lots of exercises you can do with dumbbells.  Bench press, overhead press (I recommend standing though), squats, goblet squats, lunges, split squats, & rows are all great exercises.  There are plenty of others as well, if there was a barbell exercise you wanted to do I'm sure someone here could find a pretty effective variant that you can do. 

As far as machines, I'd stay away from the smith machine for much aside from inverted rows, but anything that uses cables which requires you to stabilize can be safe/effective.  The biggest issue with most machines is they move on only one plane, which is not how your body is meant to move, so it tends to lead to imbalances that can become injuries as time goes on.  Even then, they can still have their place, but best avoided as a general rule.

As far as lifting heavy and rep range, there are probably lots of people that will tell you different things.  Do keep in mind that you can do as much damage lifting moderately heavy for high reps as you can lifting heavy for low reps, form is everything, and listen to your body.  That said, I'm usually a fan of lifting a bit heavier for lower reps (I love 5x5 programs) but if you aren't comfortable with that (which is completely understandable given previous injuries) what you are doing is actually just fine.  Or 4 sets of 8 if you wanted to go a bit heavier.  Regardless, your goal should be to get stronger and get heavier as time goes.

Hope any of the above is helpful.  I make no claim to being an expert, so I'm sure someone out there has better advice, but hopefully thats enough to get you started.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Citizenkade, thanks for the suggestion. I'm still trying to navigate the boards, so glad to know where I can get help with these sorts of questions.

Photobrandon, thanks! Those links were pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I've been using the smith machine for inverted rows (which, given my current upper body strength has been difficult) and bench presses, but I haven't felt comfortable even doing the bench presses given the knowledge I've accumulated over the last few weeks. So, I'm very glad to have an alternative to that. Now I just have to find a way to do deadlifts with dumbells until I get access to a new gym, and I'll be set!

I think I may try the 5x5 at least once to see how it goes. I definitely don't want to injure myself, but seeing as I've been ok dragging 90lbs worth of children around on a sled for the last week I think I should be ok to try a little heavier and less reps for at least once a week. I've been really concentrating on getting proper form with my current 3x12 program, but I have noticed that by the end of each set my form starts to wobble a bit. So, if I can gather my courage to do less reps with more weight, I think I will.,

If you're finding the workouts in your gym to be inadequate, you could always consider starting out with body-weight workouts. They are great for building up that core strength, too, which will help prevent against injury as you build up to heavier weights.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Getting started is the hardest part but you can do it! I wish you luck and determination on your journey!

Race: Half Orc/Elf. Class: Assassin. Level: 3 STR: 7 DEX: 9 STA: 4 CON: 5 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Current Challenge: Tommy Khaos VS Gravity!