How bad is booze?

I'll typically, over the course of a week, have two or three alcoholic beverages. If there's a function where drinking is acceptable, or drinking to excess is acceptable, I may have between three and five drinks that night. I don't go for beer, which I understand is a good thing, but is alcohol in general something that needs to be watched out for? Or does it depend on what you're drinking, mixing, etc?

Personally I've always viewed alcohol as "empty calories". Being that I'm trying to loose weight I tend to limit my drinking. Honestly If you're talking about liquor the mixers in my opionion are what really get you as they are pretty much just sugar. For an example a 1.5 oz shot of Jack Daniels is about 98 calories. I really like whiskey sours so add in 4oz of Master of Mixes, Whiskey Sour at 110 calories. So 208 calories that have no nutritional value. A 12oz can of Coke has 140 calories and a jack and coke uses about a half can depending on where you go. I'd guess about 150-210 calories per drink. Same calorie intake in raw brocolli 5-7 cups.

Honestly if you're trying to loose weight and you're seeing slow progress maybe cut a few drinks out. If you're active enough and progressing how you want then I see no problem. If you said you were drinking a 12 pack every night or a liter of liqour a week well that's another story lol. I love my whiskey and I'd never tell anyone who's not an alcoholic to not drink. Maybe cut out the mixers and try it on the rocks, there are so many subtle flavors to enjoy in a good liqour. Cheers! :pirate:

• Like 1

Level: 2 Half Orc Class: Adventurer  STR: 3 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

My Daily Battle

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

You will never be free until you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.

The older I get the more I realize the importance of quality over quantity when it comes to my drinking. I have reacted to some drinks, beers and mixed drinks. Terrible headaches with only a few drinks, feeling like I was poisoned, etc... 

A simple drink like the gimlet with a high quality vodka and a splash of Rose's lime juice or a nicely muddled old fashion, one or two I am a happy girl for the night and feel fine the next morning. 

I keep away from the sugary mixers and anything in cans, very bad reactions to numerous caned beverages. 

You might want to just track how you feel and your body's during and after. Are you enjoying the drink or just mindlessly consuming alcohol? Is your drinking negatively effecting your life the next day? 

I found that after I started paleo, alcohol made me feel sick. I stopped drinking in May this year to see if it would help body comp (aka get rid of stubborn belly fat) - it didn't, but I now find I don't actually miss it and like coming home from an evening out feeling good in the head. It's not easy socially though, as you realise what a glue it is and how you seem to make friends uncomfortable by not drinking when they are.

I found that after I started paleo, alcohol made me feel sick. I stopped drinking in May this year to see if it would help body comp (aka get rid of stubborn belly fat) - it didn't, but I now find I don't actually miss it and like coming home from an evening out feeling good in the head. It's not easy socially though, as you realise what a glue it is and how you seem to make friends uncomfortable by not drinking when they are.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous how much people will push you to drink sometimes.  I've been to parties on nights I didn't feel like drinking and people can get pushy.  Like you're ruining their night by not drinking.  Then I've been out with people when I was drinking and they'd make fun of people who weren't drinking after they left.

I have never  been a big drinker, have gotten drunk a few times, but mostly it is moderate drinking. I kind of like what another poster said, about quality over quantity. I had champagne new years eve and new years day, had a beer on Christmas and a glass of wine, enjoyed them, but otherwise have stayed away from alchohol, I figure trying to lose weight it is like grain, eventually it will be part of my diet (in moderation), but right now trying to get myself into shape I figure it is better to keep it out of my life until I am in shape, or until a special occasion comes up. 

The mixers are vicious, the syrups and soda and such, and though they advertise how diet coke with rum or vodka is low carb, don't buy it, that shit is just as bad as real coke. I also will add alcohol is a depressant, and it slows down your metabolism and also fouls up digestion and such from what I have been told (again, a drink isn't going to do this, but regular drinking will work against you). In the end, it really is  tradeoff, moderate drinking may slow down some things, but unless it is a race, the social aspect of drinking or its other properties may make it worth it for you:). On the other hand, if you regularly drink a lot, binge drinking and so forth, that is something you need to change a bit.....:).It sounds to me like you are drinking moderately, so that isn't an issue....

This gets posted about at least once a month. If you want to drink, go for it but account for the calories if you're trying to lose weight. It's probably not ideal no, but unless you're a body builder getting into contest shape, it's not going to matter THAT much.

If you want to drink, drink.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB