Newbie's First Steps

I'm brand new to NerdFitness, but too impatient to wait until the next full challenge.

My _long term_ goal is to increase the number of steps I take per day to 10,000 (6 days a week unless ill).

My holiday goal is to manage 6000 per day, as measured by my Basis Band, every day of the holiday period. This is an increase from the 5000 I can manage fairly reliably.

Running is strictly optional - this is a walking challenge. (I got over-enthused yesterday and did too much running, now my IT band hates me :-( Making myself "too sore to walk" is not part of the plan :-()

Update: Because of the disparity between my new Fitbit Force and my old Basis Band, I'm using the pessimistic Basis Band as the arbiter - except that if I do 10K steps according to the Fitbit, it counts as 6 K on the Basis Band.

Update: I saw that Grizzy has a table of daily results, and decided to be a copycat. Because of the conflicts between my activity trackers, I'm going to have rather a few columns:

Basis Band                    Fitbit Force

Day        Steps  Active  Walking  Steps Miles Floors

Dec 23    6719  26 min   ???         ???   ???    ???    

Dec 24    7013  35 min   ???      10254  4.55      2

Dec 25    6530  46 min  59 min  11328  5.03      1

Dec 26    6864  44 min  57 min   9019   4           1

Dec 27    6395  23 min  ???        8872   3           8  I'm finding 8 floors implausible; 3 or 4 seems more real

Dec 28    2807  0?         ???        5605   2.49      1  exhausted; slept from 7 PM till 8 the next morning

Dec 29    6523  37 min  54 min    8393   3.72     1 

Dec 30    6194  26 min  52 min    8584  3.81      1

Dec 31    6224  24 min  54 min    8510  3.78      2 major battle to complete this

Jan 1      3076+ 19+      25+         9837  4.36      2 Basis band was charging (not worn) during Am walk....

Jan 2      6927  32 min  55?         9289  4.12      4 back to work (i.e. less free time) 

Jan 3      6322  11 min  56 min    4702+ 2.09+   1+ This time Fitbit spent much of the day on its charger

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Found a bug in my goals - due to complex history, I now have 2 activity trackers - a basis band and a fitbit force. The force is new - just started using it yesterday. It appears that yesterday my left arm (wearing the basis band) took 6669 steps and my right arm (wearing the fitbit force) took 9646 steps. I knew the Basis band tended to miss some steps, but this is ridiculous.

If the difference persists, I need to revise the goal - to either "6 K on the basis band" or something like "9 K on the fitbit force".  Not sure that there's a neat conversion factor however - after my second walk yesterday, the fitbit was only reporting 6612 to the basis band's 4412, i.e. it was only ahead by 1/3, not 1/2.

FWIW, the basis band is known to under report unless fairly tight, and it's uncomfortable when tight - so I try to push it way up my arm while consciously exercising, to make it tighter. But I was particularly conscientious about that in my evening walk yesterday, and that's when the comparative underreporting was at its worst.

Also, the fitbit has me climbing 2 flights of stairs, or equivalent yesterday - based on the 3 or so steps up to my front door, traversed only 3 times, + maybe a couple of trips up the 2 steps at my back door, and whatever slopes I found on several fairly flat walks. So it may be overreporting in general.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

So today I wanted to collect steps while doing work around the house. I either didn't walk enough, or the Basis Band lost a lot, so I wound up trying to do 4000 Basis band steps in one evening walk. And being bored with short near home walks, I thought I'd do it in one big loop. Well, at somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the route my knee started complaining - knees are my weak link, in general, though like-as-not set off by IT band stress. Now I'm home feeling really tired - having watched the Basis Band like a hawk for the whole trip, and adjusted it when I caught it not recording at all. Hopefully the knee will be OK, if I avoid doing more of the same. On the good side (?), I'm drenched in sweat.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Yesterday was a complete fail. I was up late the night before (Friday), and had planned errands that made it impossible to sleep in. I then had wall-to-wall must-dos until around 6 PM. At around 2 I made the crucial decision not to try dealing with this by consuming extra caffeine, lest I have difficulty sleeping. The result was that I lay down for a nap about 7 PM - rather than trying to energize myself by walking - and slept until 8 AM the next morning, except for waking 2 or 3 times (10 PM? 5 AM?) and deciding not to get up just yet.)

I feel a lot better this morning, and woke up without requiring an alarm - but today is also full of errands, more like a work day than a vacation day ;-( An elegant demonstration of why I don't manage to get my steps in during normal days, even while it's fairly easy while on vacation.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Sometimes rest is just as important to your fitness goals as exercise.  Put all that new energy to work today!

I've learned one important thing from this - I'm going to explicitly leave space for days like this in the January challenge. The trick then will be not using that space until I really need it - I fear that may be very difficult :-( But better than "now I've failed, so let's skip all of today's walks and tomorrow's too :-(" - that was kind of close to my first impulse, which is why I did 3132 Basis Band steps before 11:30 this morning. (The dog looks exhausted - I bring him on my morning walk, which is normally quite leisurely.)

Perhaps a combination of weekly and daily goals might do it - e.g. "70K fitbit steps per week, with 9K per day unless ....".) I'll be thinking about this over the next few days.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

Yesterday afternoon/evening I felt almost as exhausted as the day before, except this time when overwhelmed with exhaustion and bleah, I dragged myself out to walk. When combined with the extra long walk I'd taken before the exhaustion/stress began, this got me my 6K basis band steps. I still felt stressed out of my gourd, but the walk may have made things better and certainly didn't make them worse.

Another object lesson in why I'm not exercising enough, generally. Also in the advantages of a team of more than 1. Phoenix Burning, your comment yesterday was a great help in getting me restarted. Hopefully today will be less stressful, even if I did get up before I wanted to.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

I'm counting yesterday as a success, even though it's technically a failure. The Basis Band needed charging, so I put it on its charger early in the morning - and forgot it there when I started the day. By the time I put it on, the Fitbit had registered 3000 steps. Even after that I stopped babysitting the basis band - checking repeatedly to see whether it was recording, and adjusting it repeatedly until it did. So its reading is absurd. And while I didn't quite make 10K on the Fitbit, I did a similar amount of walking to other successful days.

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger