In your face, Christmas cookies! (Instead of in my face, that is.)

Yay mini challenge! I've managed to keep my weight pretty stable on a slight downward slope since Thanksgiving, but need to stay serious through the next week, which involves visiting my lovely but slightly insane family. Here are the challenges I am going to face in this period:

1. Ten-hour drive to and from Portland. Much opportunity for icky road food. Luckily, my husband is trying to lose weight as well, so we're going to pack sandwiches and fruit, really try to minimize rest-stop tomfoolery.

2. Being fed by family. Luckily some branches of my family are pretty health conscious, others are more of the "if it's not fried in butter it had better be covered in gravy" school. No one is going to pressure me to have "just one more bite," because we're not that sort of group. but on the other hand lots of highly non-healthy things will be on offer. Just need to stay mindful, keep tracking.

3. Hard to work in workouts. I'm going to go to the gym today (23rd). No chance on the 24th, we'll be driving all day. Maybe get in a short run or walk on the 25th between the morning gift frenzy and afternoon Xmas dinner? Not sure the schedule, all is being dictated by my dictatorial sister. The 26th is my birthday (yay me!) so i'll stipulate that I get a run or even gym (not sure how near the Portland branch of 24 Hr Fitness is to my sister's place . . .) before festivities. And it's a known thing in my family that I don't like cake, so may just request a fruit compote or something. Nobody has asked me about my birthday yet (not unusual for my family). 27th is the 10-hour drive back. Depending on when we get home, maybe can do trip to gym?

4. New Year's. Going to a house party hosted by someone who always lays on tons of food, free booze, etc. However, he also has a giant house and always turns one room into a dancefloor. With awesome music. Just stay there and dance all night!

5. Games night. Apparently my RPG group believes that you can't have 10-sided dice without pizza. Bring veggie platter as my contribution, allow myself one small slice of cheese pizza to not feel totally deprived. Also, one of the hosts always bakes millions of cookies, pies, cakes, etc. Just don't eat them. Or only eat one if she makes something special with me in mind (like last night, jammy dodgers cuz Dr. Who. Am I on the right Challenge or what !?!).

My goal is 1,000 calorie daily deficit as measured by FitBit. Track everything, don't beat myself up if I don't make the 1,000, but don't go more than 500 over. If that looks likely, just take a damn walk until FitBit lets me know deficit is okay again. Yeah, I know the device isn't perfect. Good enough for goal-setting, though.

I CAN DO THIS!!!!

O.O Ten hour drive. Twice. In a week. You have no idea how much that boggles my mind. I live in the middle of a country where I can drive to either end within 4 hours.

Games night! Woot! Board games? Haven't met many nerd here yet that play. Any recommendations?

Seems like you have a solid plan. I'll be rooting for you. Safe journeys! 

Oh my. Well, Xmas holiday is off. My entire family has norovirus, so driving 10 hours to catch a horrible contagious stomach bug sounds like a very bad idea. We're rescheduling visit til January, will just do delayed presents then. Sigh. Well, silver lining, I can get a lot more workouts in and nobody will be trying to feed me Christmas cookies!

So, report on yesterday:

Monday, December 23:

Calorie deficit: 691

Exercise: 40 min elliptical & treadmill mix at gym, then 30 min run/walk w dog.

Food: Did okay, ate tasty free treats at grocery store because, free lemon curd tart! But small amount.

Weight: 147.4  (yes, I weigh myself every day. Yes, I know all the reasons it's a bad idea, but it works with my OCD and I know not to freak out if it bounces around with no apparent reason).

• Like 1

Tuesday, December 24:

Calorie deficit: 1,152 (woohoo! Yay long run!)

Exercise: 10 mile run

Food: Did okay, avoided the urge to eat everything in the world as I often do on a long run day. Could defimitely have done better with fruit & veg vs. simple carbs.

Weight: 146. Down 1.4 from Monday (which was a false high based on eating tons of pizza & cookies at games night on Sunday).

@Haevyn . . . I could make jokes about having my family a 10-hour drive away is best for everyone, but actually I miss them and am sad this trip got cancelled. As for games, we've been getting into traditional paper-and-pen tabletop gaming . . . my friend is a longtime gamer and he's run an Eclipse Phase game for a group of us, and now we're doing World of Darkness. He's got a Dungeons and Dragons game going with some other friends, and we may try Trinity next. Have 10-sided dice, will travel!

Also a big fan of Cards Against Humanity . . .

Weight: 147.4  (yes, I weigh myself every day. Yes, I know all the reasons it's a bad idea, but it works with my OCD and I know not to freak out if it bounces around with no apparent reason).

As long as you can keep the psychological part of tracking daily in check it's actually better to have more data points. Just assume that slice of pizza was eaten before you stepped on the scale for your once a week weigh in. Your data would be terribly wrong. With more data points you can see averages over a week much more easily. 

@MissMormie . . . my thinking exactly! I actually feel better being reminded of the daily variance. And sometimes it really surprises me--went out for the traditional Jewish Christmas dinner of cheap, greasy Chinese food last night *and* drank rather too much red wine and was only up 2 lbs which is totally "fake" weight from big, salty dinner. It's a Boxing Day (aka my birthday!) miracle!

Wednesday, December 25:

Calorie deficit: Waaaaaaaaaaay over due to big Xmas dinner, many glasses of wine. Ah well, only comes but once a year and all that. +2,350

Exercise: Shortish dog walk, spent day doing bathroom prep for painting, which didn't really burn a lot of calories but kept me from snacking!

Food: Ate the entire world.

Weight: 142.8. Down 4.6 from Monday.

I weigh myself on fitbit scale every day too. 

I don't think it's a bad idea at all if you can detach your emotion from the number.

I started since last X-mas (Fitbit scale was a x-mas gift last year), and I can now see the progress for a year.

Weighing every day is a problem if you get too high or too low for yourself.

BTW, -1000 = 2lbs/week weight loss? Isn't that kinda too harsh at your current weight?

Hey all. Well, started with a bit too much Christmas cheer, and then apparently got some sort of really bad cold, so basically three days in bed, not even checking email I felt so woozy. Whoops! Back on the horse today. There is a tiny possibility that drinking too much might be bad for one.

Monday went pretty well. I was under on calories but didn't get a workout in and ate a greasy slice of pizza that meant I woke up feeling bloated and icky. Went to the gym for cardio this morning and may well go back for strength tonight with my husband. And hopefully to a New Year's party though it all comes down to how he's feeling since he was kind of sickly this morning.

I need to figure out points, will edit once I do, but here's my post in Scouts . . .

Posted Today, 12:17 PM

This Challenge, I'm mainly focussing on food, since my workout routine is pretty set and going well.

My reward/punishment system worked well last time, so gonna do that again. I get $1 for every success each day. I lose $1 for not making the goal. The "prize money" goes to a photoshoot I have planned for January 27. And I want to look gooooooood in that shoot, so I'm incentivised to succeed.

After I get my photohoot money, the next prize is a Nerd Fitness Academy membership. That is not going to happen til next Challenge unless I crush this thing like a beer can in Vladimir Putin's mighty hand, but good to have a next goal.

Here are my goals:

Log my exercise & fitness w FitBit every day. Achieve a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. 1,000 wins the $1. I don't get penalized if it's between 500 & 1,000 but I don't get a reward either. I know this all sounds kind of complicated and OCD but it works with the way my brain works.

Achieve the following macros: 45% carb, 30% protein, 25% fat. On my long run day, the carb % can be pretty much as high as I want. If things skew about on carbs & protein that's fine, but do not go over 25% fat.

Eat full-metal paleo 3 days a week. Allowed exceptions: protein powder, legumes. Cuz I say so.

Life goal: Minimize unnecessary purchases. I'm paying down my crushing debt, but not fast or consistently enough. For this 6-week period, I get $25 per week to spend on "luxury items." My main source of excessive spending is meals out and "luxury groceries" (getting precooked chicken instead of cooking them myself, salad bar at Whole Foods instead of making my own damn salad at home). If I come in under $25 (not likely), I can roll it over to the next week. But I can't "borrow" from future weeks.

Bonus fitness goal: Keep up with the marathon training. Basically, 2-3 short runs a week, 2-3 lifting days, 2-3 cross-training days (can be something fun, like going out dancing), one long run. Long run escalates per Hal Higdon training program.

So I'm basically ending this mini Challenge exactly where I started weightwise. Sigh. Well, at least I didn't gain, and there were a couple of day of total caloric debauchery; having the Challenge kept them from turning into multi-day runs of said debauchery. So there's that. Onward and upward to the next Challenge!