• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Galaxy Gamer

I can haz challenge now?

I am in my sixth week of a weight loss program, but found NF too late to participate in the last challenge. My motivation in the meantime was to get myself in as good of a position as possible to start the next challenge on January 6th, but if I can get involved in a challenge right away, I'm jumping at it!

I am looking to lose an average of two pounds a week for the next three weeks. I will do this by:

1. Continue tracking the calories I eat and trying to keep them to a manageable level.

2. Continue to exercise as it fits into my schedule, at least 3 times per week.

3. Continue taking the vitamins recommended by my doctor.

4. Avoid soda and foods high in processed carbs such as pasta, pizza, and bread

I'm in!

• Like 1

Yesterday was tough...  Met up with my wife and some friends after work, and they had already ordered Thai takeout so I couldn't be rude... Masaman curry and pad thai. Great stuff, but not exactly diet food.

But if you're looking for a Christmas holiday tradition that's all about food but not about eating, we take dinners to elderly shut-ins every year. It's deeply gratifying and we get to meet lots of interesting people.

Then we went out for *sigh* Chinese, to the same restaurant where my family has gone every year for 25 years.

So I got through Christmas with only two high-calorie meals. Not bad, if we were Christian.  :D

I wasn't all that happy with my Christmas dinner performance, though it could have been worse.  My family goes out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner each year, with this year being the big 25th anniversary. Skipping it was not an option.

Usually I order a fancy rum drink served in a coconut-shaped mug. My plan was to drink only water this year, but instead I ordered the rum drink without the rum. That's about 100 to 130 calories less, depending on how much rum they use, so I'll take that as a win.

Usually I partake in all the appetizers in the pu-pu platter (such a bad name for a delicious collection of stuff). This year I hit the pu-pu a bit lighter than usual and avoided the breaded and fried chicken fingers, so probably saved another 100 to 200 calories there as well.

Usually I pile on the entrees and sides, but this year I avoided high-carb rice and lo-mein noodles and stuck with a single dish. I wish I could say it was steamed veggies, but in a moment of weakness I ordered yu hsang chicken. It has a sauce, but the chicken isn't fried or breaded and there are vegetables, so...probably saved another 200 calories or so.

And finally, no fortune cookie for dessert. Another 30 calories down.

So I figure I must have saved myself about 500 calories total. Maybe I did better than I thought!

Chinese food is my one weakness. After I did a whole30, my only thought was sweet sweet genetal tso's and teriyaki beef sticks.  I swear, there's crack in chinese food. Pizza doesn't do that to me anymore- just the chinese.

The worst part is, I don't like to see the leftover Chinese food go to waste, so that messes up another day as well.

When I don't feel like cooking, I go with Chinese takeout.

Though you don't know the ingredients, if you pick wisely, it's not too far off from primal.

The key is to choose "non sweet" food to avoid sugar. So no General Tso or Teriyaki, please.

Also, when you order, you can ask to reduce sweetness, or not use starch.

If you become a good customer (Hi, GreatWok), you can even ask to use lard instead of veg oil, and it tastes freakin' so much better.

BTW, General Tso's chicken is an american invention. and Teriyaki is Japanese. So, neither is "Chinese" in my book.

It's sweet / salty combo + MSG, which hooks anyone.

For example, choose beef with broccoli. Yes, the oil is probably veg oil (peanut or sesame), and a little rice wine and corn starch, but compared to the main ingredients, it's small. 

I admit that my fav is Ma Po tofu, dripping with hot sesame oil. Love.

Just like any occasion, minimize the bad stuff and maximize the good stuff.

Good to know. I have a sweet and sour turkey recipe that's been in our family for generations, and the "sweet" is a third-cup of brown sugar.

But what about chicken with steamed vegetables and oyster sauce on the side?

Good to know. I have a sweet and sour turkey recipe that's been in our family for generations, and the "sweet" is a third-cup of brown sugar.

But what about chicken with steamed vegetables and oyster sauce on the side?

Oyster sauce is loaded with sugar and starch, so don't use much.

I use it in small dose in my cooking, so is sesame oil.

New Year's Eve defeated me. Too many snacks around to resist. Now what do I do?

Forget about past snacks. There is nothing you can do about the past.

You can eat good food from now on.

Happy New Year!

New Year's Eve defeated me. Too many snacks around to resist. Now what do I do?

If you dropped your phone, would you then pick it up and say, "Well, it's not broken yet" and then slam it into the ground?  Use that logic with eating.  Just because you goofed on your food, doesn't mean to spiral it out of control and make it worse. Just eat better right NOW and you're ok.

If you dropped your phone, would you then pick it up and say, "Well, it's not broken yet" and then slam it into the ground?  Use that logic with eating.  Just because you goofed on your food, doesn't mean to spiral it out of control and make it worse. Just eat better right NOW and you're ok.

Haha! This is a goddamn brilliant analogy. =D And completely accurate, of course.

So how did I do?

1. Continue tracking the calories I eat and trying to keep them to a manageable level.

I missed one day of tracking, and I maxed out on calories on New Year's Eve (but made up for it on later days). Victory!

2. Continue to exercise as it fits into my schedule, at least 3 times per week.

I've done okay, but could do better. Partial victory!

3. Continue taking the vitamins recommended by my doctor.

Yes! Every day, and I'm trying a new gummy version that's easier to swallow. Victory!

4. Avoid soda and foods high in processed carbs such as pasta, pizza, and bread

Haven't had any soda in weeks and am not tempted. Successful in avoiding pasta and pizza. Bread can be a challenge, especially at restaurants where it always looks so good. Nine-tenths victory!

And I lost weight, took in my belt by a couple notches, and generally have more energy. Ultimate victory! Now on to the real challenge...