• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Persephone23

Roast Beast and Who Hash...

Mini Challenge:

Goals:  I only joined NF a week or so ago...so I will use this as a jump start to my "program" as well as a way to keep my holiday activities (or lack there of) in check and on track...

With a span of only 2 weeks, my measurable goals are limited...so I will go with 2 lbs weight loss...

Plan:

1) I will work out with body weight every day...I will be traveling and staying "out of my element"...so I will focus my workouts on bodyweight workouts that can be done anywhere.  I WILL workout on the days I travel...before we leave...to help stave off the car munchies.  During week 2, when I am not travelling, I will go to the gym at least 3 times in addition to my morning body weight workouts.  

2) I will plan and pack snacks for the road to limit the fast food intake...I will prepare a "pre approved" fast food list and STICK TO IT...I WILL NOT consume soda/rockstar while travelling in the car.

3) I will consume a fruit/vegetable with every snack/meal...I will drink a glass of water before every snack/meal...

4) Finally, I will post my beginning stats in my daily battle log...its time to face the facts of where I'm at so that I can start moving towards where I am going...

• Like 1

What is your workout routine like pre-this challenge?  A lot of people try to go from 0-1 workouts a week to 5-7 workouts a week and run out of steam super fast.  No one's body is able to go from 0->6 in that short a time.  If you were working out previously 3+ times a week, it's viable.  If less than that, I feel that your body won't cooperate for long.   I've seen it happen all too often; myself included.

Good point, Terosx...I already work out 3-5 times a week so I was confident the exercise schedule would be do-able- and it was...my biggest issue is my diet-I tend to un-do my gym time on the grounds that "I worked hard, I deserve this."  One of my favorite fitness/weight loss quotes is "don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog"...but I have a hard time following that advice.  I love to lift and I love circuit-style workouts...bodyweight and such...I HATE to run/elliptical/bike to nowhere.  I struggled with the diet while I was gone this week.  The working out comes easily, but I have such limited willpower around food and booze at the moment.  I feel like I workout and I make progress, then I make the mistake of stepping on the scale and discover that there is no change...I then promptly go eat and decide to try again tomorrow.

My brain tells me that I did not gain this weight overnight, so I won't lose it overnight either-Get off the freaking scale!!...but I get into such "low" moments while I'm waiting to see change that I jump right back on hoping to see the healthy, rather than feeling it...

This week I will not be travelling...I will get back to the gym and will not have the opportunities to binge on holiday food...SO my goal this week is to STAY OFF THE SCALE!!

I need to trust that if I follow the plan I set out for myself, I will see results eventually...and worry more about how good I feel rather than how "low" I feel...and take it one day at a time.

What is your workout routine like pre-this challenge?  A lot of people try to go from 0-1 workouts a week to 5-7 workouts a week and run out of steam super fast.  No one's body is able to go from 0->6 in that short a time.  If you were working out previously 3+ times a week, it's viable.  If less than that, I feel that your body won't cooperate for long.   I've seen it happen all too often; myself included.

+1

I struggled with the diet while I was gone this week.  The working out comes easily, but I have such limited willpower around food and booze at the moment.

The diet is the 80% of success as Steve preaches.

Since you have no problem with exercises, the primary attach should be on food.

Fast food can be OK as long as you stay away from carb. No fries, soda or buns.

You can watch "Fat Head" on YouTube, a nerd who lost 12+lb weight eating nothing but fast food for 4 weeks.

then I make the mistake of stepping on the scale and discover that there is no change...I then promptly go eat and decide to try again tomorrow.

My brain tells me that I did not gain this weight overnight, so I won't lose it overnight either-Get off the freaking scale!!...but I get into such "low" moments while I'm waiting to see change that I jump right back on hoping to see the healthy, rather than feeling it...

This week I will not be travelling...I will get back to the gym and will not have the opportunities to binge on holiday food...SO my goal this week is to STAY OFF THE SCALE!!

I need to trust that if I follow the plan I set out for myself, I will see results eventually...and worry more about how good I feel rather than how "low" I feel...and take it one day at a time.

This is why I haven't weighed myself once since May.  Chuck the scale. Seriously.   I know I've dropped a couple of pants sizes, and I know that I'll drop more.  Something that I found really clicked with me- maybe it will for you to.  If you change your attitude from, "I want/need to lose weight" to "I want to be healthy", suddenly you change the equation/cycle. Now, you're just making healthy choices and the focus is on that.  That makes weight loss and building muscle a CONSEQUENCE of your journey to be healthy.

Now it might not like seem like a big shift, but it is.  why?  1) No obsessing about the scale. 2)No obsessing about clothes. 3)No feeling like there's a deadline to get a certain amount done. 4) No comparing yourself to others. Are you going to out-health them?  Because of these 4, you get #5) No stress.  It'll happen when it happens. Just try and be healthy and it'll follow naturally.  There's no feeling like a failure, no falling off the bandwagon, no vicious cycle of self-pity->eating->more pity->more eating.   You BREAK the cycle by making this mentality switch.

• Like 1

This is why I haven't weighed myself once since May.  Chuck the scale. Seriously.   I know I've dropped a couple of pants sizes, and I know that I'll drop more.  Something that I found really clicked with me- maybe it will for you to.  If you change your attitude from, "I want/need to lose weight" to "I want to be healthy", suddenly you change the equation/cycle. Now, you're just making healthy choices and the focus is on that.  That makes weight loss and building muscle a CONSEQUENCE of your journey to be healthy.

Now it might not like seem like a big shift, but it is.  why?  1) No obsessing about the scale. 2)No obsessing about clothes. 3)No feeling like there's a deadline to get a certain amount done. 4) No comparing yourself to others. Are you going to out-health them?  Because of these 4, you get #5) No stress.  It'll happen when it happens. Just try and be healthy and it'll follow naturally.  There's no feeling like a failure, no falling off the bandwagon, no vicious cycle of self-pity->eating->more pity->more eating.   You BREAK the cycle by making this mentality switch.

+1

When I go to my office, and at the bottom of stairs in front of elevators, I think "I'm an athlete." and take stairs.

And, not just stairs, but I go up as fast as I can as if I'm training. I know it helps me to play better tennis.

The mental switch -- I'm a healthy person who avoid unhealthy food. (my case, I'm an athlete.) is the key to change behavior. (recommended reading.)

You are right on...I have been striving for the "healthy" goal rather than "skinny" goal...but this has made me think.  I can say that being healthy means more than losing weight...but if all my goals are measured by how many pounds I lose, then I am really focusing on the weight, rather than being healthy...

so..with that in mind...I have "chucked" the scale...ok, so actually my husband hid it from me because he still uses it.  But it is no longer in the bathroom...staring at me...every day.  I have also cut my cord with Weight Watchers...I have used the program in the past and had great success...but I was much more active then (my job required me to walk 6-10 miles a night) and so the WW program allowed me to focus on my food intake and let my body do the rest.  My mother has also had great success with WW and I think that, if done correctly and for the right reason, it is a sound system.  But I no longer want the scale to be my judge...I want to feel strong, not just healthy...kick-ass strong...stronger than the average bear...

So...no more daily (sometimes bi-daily) weigh-ins...no more counting points/calories...no more trading activity for food...no more goals measured in lbs lost.

• Like 1