• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning Goes Out With a Bang

Believe it or not, I am a "Resolutioner" who actually kept my resolution to lose some weight this year.  It has been a real roller coaster of fitness this year, but overall positive.  However, after 3 consecutive challenges waylaid by the bandits Injury and Illness, I'm happy to see we have a mini-challenge to help me maintain the mini-momentum I developed the last week of the final 6-week challenge.  I want to finish 2013 with a bang and continue my weight-loss trend into 2014.

Main goal:  To lose at least 2 lbs in 2 weeks (more would be nice, too...)

To be accomplished by:

1. Eating wheat-free and sugar-free except for dessert(s) on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day (I can sample more than one, but savor small portions.)
  2. Walking minimum 3 hours per week
  3. Yoga minimum 2 hours per week

tumblr_m52vefA8W11rs9933o1_500_large.png

• Like 1

Yes, I am an exact planning sort of person.  However, my execution....

Started out yesterday by walking 56 minutes.  I ate wheat and sugar free all day until...I had to make Christmas cookies with my kids.  I was force-fed 1.5 cookies.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  Not the worst infraction, but it wasn't the plan.  Must be extra cautious with my planned indulgences, then.

Just loaded a bunch of Christmas music on my iPod, and am headed out for a nice long walk in the cold!  (Yay for a break from the record-breaking highs we've had lately!!!)

Yes.  Send yours down; I'm sick to death of 80s.  It's fun in summer, but I'm over it by October.  Where da snow at?

Buffalo, NY. I feel the same way about snow. December-January? Sure. November and February? If you must. October and March? Too early, and too late.

I grew up in Texas. Couldn't stand the 100 degree weather either. Maybe there's a place with a happy medium somewhere.

Just posting to say "hi fellow walker".

Not sure where the happy medium would be - but I like the part of California I'm in - sometimes miss snow, but happy overall.

One of my friends has had good luck enlisting his kids as monitors for his diet goals - if he wants to break his rules, he has to buy them treats too. And since he's a conscientious parent, concerned about them eating badly, it works really well as negative motivation. He's even given up beer (as a source of mostly empty calories) in spite of many good associations with it.

Lol. I was born in virginia. Lived there only a couple of months before we moved so my dad could go to grad school.

I lived in the DC/Alexandria area.  And in the Baltimore area before that.  The seasons seemed fairly balanced there.

Not sure where the happy medium would be - but I like the part of California I'm in - sometimes miss snow, but happy overall.

One of my friends has had good luck enlisting his kids as monitors for his diet goals - if he wants to break his rules, he has to buy them treats too. And since he's a conscientious parent, concerned about them eating badly, it works really well as negative motivation. He's even given up beer (as a source of mostly empty calories) in spite of many good associations with it.

Hello!  

You know, I have lived all over the States, but never California.  I guess I can't speak to its seasonal equity.  Does it get cold in winter?  I know it varies greatly depending on which part of the state you're in.

Not sure that would work for me.  I'm a pretty indulgent Mommy. :nevreness:

Well, here in the San Francisco area it's been pretty consistently in the 60s so far. Or as my husband, who grew up in LA would say, "freezing." It usually rains by this time of year, but I think we've only had like one storm. Which makes me sad because no rain on the coast means no snow in the mountains and I have spiffy new snowboarding gear that's only seen a half day so far this year (and there was barely enough to justify the 4-hour drive but my snow buddy and I just couldn't wait any longer!).

Also, I like your plan. I have found that the single thing that works best for me is giving up processed carbs. Since I don't have kids and don't bake, my biggest temptations this time of year are at work and those darn generous friends who give me their delicious home-baked goods!

Well, Anathema, my brilliant plan only works if I stick to it.  I am on point with exercise:  2 hours of walking and one of yoga so far.  BUT I have not been able to follow the dietary restrictions at all.  Gah.  I'm so mad at me.

Ok.  Game face on.  The past is past and can't be changed, but I am in control of today!

You know, I've been thinking about your friend's solution a lot lately, as I apparently need more motivation.  And while it wouldn't work for my kids, I think I've found another motivator in a similar vein.  My husband quit smoking on Christmas, and I realized that every time I "cheat" on my diet it undermines his resolution not to smoke.  To help him stay strong, I have to be strong, too.  Thanks for the idea!

Virginia.  The happy medium is in Virginia.

Damn. It's 64 there. Too effin cold here. I hate cold!

Buffalo, NY. I feel the same way about snow. December-January? Sure. November and February? If you must. October and March? Too early, and too late.

I grew up in Texas. Couldn't stand the 100 degree weather either. Maybe there's a place with a happy medium somewhere.

At least, Boston is a few degrees warmer than Buffalo, NY., balmy 46 right now.

I wish I could go out and ride my bike!

You know, I've been thinking about your friend's solution a lot lately, as I apparently need more motivation.  And while it wouldn't work for my kids, I think I've found another motivator in a similar vein.  My husband quit smoking on Christmas, and I realized that every time I "cheat" on my diet it undermines his resolution not to smoke.  To help him stay strong, I have to be strong, too.  Thanks for the idea!

Involving your significant other is always a good idea. Just think about asking "Can I eat this?" makes you mindful of what you eat.

• Like 1

Oh, that pesky 80-90%... I'm going to sit here pretending that I didn't eat my boyfriend's homemade chocolate chip cookies, or my mom's pumpkin pie, or the pecan-chocolate pie, or the brownies... Ugh, I can't wait to be back in my apartment where at least if I want sweets I have to put forth the effort to make them myself.

Yum.  Delicious temptation.

I actually have done better today than the rest of the week.  Only 1 Pillsbury Biscuit to throw off my plans, but otherwise quite healthy and by-the-book.  Even I am sick of eating sweets at this point.  I kinda gorged myself over the holiday. I am realizing more and more that I am an "all-or-nothing" kind of girl when it comes to diet.  There is no moderation.  It's depressing to think of never eating sweets again, but it would be equally depressing to be fighting the Battle of the Bulge for the rest of my life.  I need to choose which I want more.

6366e4595c227e78e7bb6ba1a93c93ac.jpg

• Like 1

ahh pilsbury.  So deliciously evil.  Normally I end up eating 10+ crecent rolls on thanksgiving. I only had two, TWO!

I'm the same way about all-or-nothing.  If I let myself go, I WILL eat pizza and chinese every other day, with plenty of chocolate in between.  I always think of louis ck.

Well just eat the doughnut then

• Like 1

Yum.  Delicious temptation.

I actually have done better today than the rest of the week.  Only 1 Pillsbury Biscuit to throw off my plans, but otherwise quite healthy and by-the-book.  Even I am sick of eating sweets at this point.  I kinda gorged myself over the holiday. I am realizing more and more that I am an "all-or-nothing" kind of girl when it comes to diet.  There is no moderation.  It's depressing to think of never eating sweets again, but it would be equally depressing to be fighting the Battle of the Bulge for the rest of my life.  I need to choose which I want more.

Repeat after me: "I am a person who choose to take care of my body."

ahh pilsbury.  So deliciously evil.  Normally I end up eating 10+ crecent rolls on thanksgiving. I only had two, TWO!

I'm the same way about all-or-nothing.  If I let myself go, I WILL eat pizza and chinese every other day, with plenty of chocolate in between.  I always think of louis ck.

Well just eat the doughnut then

BwahahahaBwahahaha!  So funny.  And painfully true.

You may just be ahead of me - I'm not even thinking about diet at this stage.

I've been on NF/toying with Paleo for almost a year, now, so I am probably in a different place.  I am halfway to my weight loss goal.  I already know it works, I just need to commit.

Repeat after me: "I am a person who choose to take care of my body."

Good one.

I spent the better part of the evening yesterday reviewing this year's challenges:  what worked, what didn't, etc. and looking at what direction I want to take in 2014.  It was pretty revelatory.  I learned that (or should have learned) that I can't really let myself have indulgences (I refuse to call them "cheats") without triggering a pretty bad downward spiral.  It's honestly easier to just say "no" all the time.  I learned that I like to exercise in some form, but easily get bored of my routines and change them too often.  Most surprising, I found that BY FAR the most effective challenge (#2) was a combination of really low levels of aerobic exercise and a strength training routine I loathed (3 inches off my waist in 6 weeks, what?!?!?)  I dread the return of that one, but who can argue with results?  Certainly nothing else I have tried comes even close.

It doesn't sound like my next challenge will be much fun.  But with any luck, the results will be!