• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning Goes Out With a Bang

What did you loath about the low aerobic and strength training?  Doing both low intensity and high intensity is good at fat burning, so are there other similar activities you can do that aren't so loathsome?

The advanced BW workout is loathesome. But so effective! We can do it together if you like. 

As for the all-or-nothing, I read sth yesterday: "If you stuff your face for the rest of the day after slipping once, that's like when you accidentally drop your phone and then say: Oh yeah now I'm going to stamp on it till it effing breaks." 

• Like 2

What did you loath about the low aerobic and strength training?  Doing both low intensity and high intensity is good at fat burning, so are there other similar activities you can do that aren't so loathsome?

The low level aerobic stuff I can do all day (doesn't do anything for my ego, but I do enjoy it).  It was the Advanced BWW that killed me.  It was just brutal and required so much physical AND mental effort to get myself through it.  You're right, though, it worked like magic.  After that success, I tried changing up my strength training program to one that was a little less intense (convict conditioning), and have tried yoga as a strength alternative, but my results have slowly dwindled to nothing (and in fact, I've gained a little back, lately).  I am not sure what else to try.

The advanced BW workout is loathesome. But so effective! We can do it together if you like. 

As for the all-or-nothing, I read sth yesterday: "If you stuff your face for the rest of the day after slipping once, that's like when you accidentally drop your phone and then say: Oh yeah now I'm going to stamp on it till it effing breaks." 

Yep.  That's the one!  Will you be tackling that monster in January?

Hilarious!  It is partly a mentality of, "Well, I've already blown it, who cares?"  but also just that having a little triggers more cravings later for me.  Like the whole Christmas mess.  I was able to have a moderate 1.5 cookies the first day, but that quickly cascaded until by the last day, I had 2 slices of pumpkin cheese cake, 3-4 cookies, and some crazy number of chocolate covered pretzles and turtles.  Out. of. control.

The low level aerobic stuff I can do all day (doesn't do anything for my ego, but I do enjoy it).  It was the Advanced BWW that killed me.  It was just brutal and required so much physical AND mental effort to get myself through it.  You're right, though, it worked like magic.  After that success, I tried changing up my strength training program to one that was a little less intense (convict conditioning), and have tried yoga as a strength alternative, but my results have slowly dwindled to nothing (and in fact, I've gained a little back, lately).  I am not sure what else to try.

Yep.  That's the one!  Will you be tackling that monster in January?

Hilarious!  It is partly a mentality of, "Well, I've already blown it, who cares?"  but also just that having a little triggers more cravings later for me.  Like the whole Christmas mess.  I was able to have a moderate 1.5 cookies the first day, but that quickly cascaded until by the last day, I had 2 slices of pumpkin cheese cake, 3-4 cookies, and some crazy number of chocolate covered pretzles and turtles.  Out. of. control.

My problem  One of my major problems is treating myself. I don't. All the treats I get are food - you know how it is as a working mom ? Your life is not your own. No rest, no treat, no privacy. So taking the food away hurts. And every night I succumb to the "Oh I work so hard ... I cannot deprive myself too much..."

So I am trying to find new ways to deal with this. I now get a present for every week I rock. 

I have one obligatory cheat day when I must eat everything I have been craving during the week. And a 700+ kcal deficit a day, no excuses. 

One other big problem was denial - I plain didn't want to admit I was fat. But I don't want to be 40 and fat, I just don't. I want to be 40 and be slim and I only got four months. :)

I definitely get that.  We live on a shoestring budget, so food treats have been the only kind I could justify, you know?  And I know that scheduled indulgences work for a lot of people to help them stay on track, but I haven't found that it works for me.  I need to treat myself to a home spa foot soak and massage or something.

I have had a "taste" of what could be if I can reign in my appetite, though, and I want more.  I love how awesome (and sexy) I feel in my new, smaller wardrobe.  I'm trying to focus more on that reward.  (Hence the plethora of fitness memes on this thread.)

Sledgehammer workouts.  8 months going strong.

as for rewards, a new shirt is practical, cheap, and weight-based.

I assume you have to own a sledgehammer for that. :playful:

absolutely.  my 10 pound sledgehammer was getting too easy when i was doing 400+ reps, so I have a 20 pound one which is the biggest i've found. they dont sell them in stores though since only construction workers can wield them effectively. If you want cheap gym gear though, besides a sledgehammer, just make some kettelbells with quickrete and a pvc pipe. total cost to make 2 is 6 bucks.

I googled both.  I think kettlebells have more appeal for me honestly.  I could see the sledgehammer being a health hazard for my toddler, who is always underfoot.  What do you hit with your sledgehammer?

You don't have to hit anything. I rarely do.  Neither of those exercises need anything else. Neither do barbarian stabs, sledge rows, chop wood, killswitch, etc.  However, I do also have a 250 pound tractor tire so if I want to beat the hell out of that, I can.  The kettelbells I made aren't in this picture:

gym1_zps80becda2.jpg

absolutely.  my 10 pound sledgehammer was getting too easy when i was doing 400+ reps, so I have a 20 pound one which is the biggest i've found. they dont sell them in stores though since only construction workers can wield them effectively. If you want cheap gym gear though, besides a sledgehammer, just make some kettelbells with quickrete and a pvc pipe. total cost to make 2 is 6 bucks.

Good lord, I just googled this! People actually do this? :D It does look very cathartic. :blink: But I guess I'd rather do the ABWW.  

• Like 1

Yessss! Walking and diet success day for all!

Yay!

I looked at sledge hammers the other day and they are more expensive than I thought :(

Good job on the walks and diet :)

Thank you!

Got my yoga on today (1 hour).  I did not realize that the challenge ends on Friday instead of Sunday as usual.  I am thinking my weight loss goal is not going to happen.  Meh.  Maintenance is a win at this point.

Happy New Year!

It was a bit rainy for a long walk today, so I just walked to a nearby pond and did a few sprints around it before going home.  I really enjoyed the sprinting!  I may add it once weekly to my routine.

I do a mile walk around my office, and I start with a jog, and before sweating, I walk. In the middle, I sprint for 100 yards or so.

Once I come back to office, the body is warmed up and a heart is beating a little faster, and the walk gives me an energy boost.

Much better than coffee.

And is that your only workout or do you balance with others?

I have a base workout of using some bodyweight exercises with sledgehammer stuff. Then I have a 'free mode' which is a bunch of other bodyweight, slegehammer, and kettelbell exercises.  I do the 'base', then after that I do whatever I feel like for 'free mode'.

I find all the strength workout talk fascinating.

Good lord, I just googled this! People actually do this? :D It does look very cathartic. :blink: But I guess I'd rather do the ABWW.  

OF COURCE.  It's awesome.  Again- you don't need a huge tire to beat the crap out of- just doing multipe motions with the sledgehammer is enough of a workout.  A big goal of mine isto make a big DIY home gym so you might be interested in other stuff in my thread.

btw, I mentioned my homemade kettelbells:

WP_002109_zpsea5780da.jpg

WP_002110_zpsf18a7355.jpg

if you have any Qs, just ask.

I experimented with a MovNat MOD today.  Wow. Kicked my butt.  I had to cut it a bit short.  I liked most of the exercises, but I can see it being a real challenge finding objects the right size/weight.  Jury is still out.

I hate it when workouts assume that you couldn't possibly not have something of the right height for their bodyweight workouts. "Oh, just use your kitchen table." "I don't have one." "Use your dresser." "I only have a closet." "Oh for the love of..."

And this one was a little more unreasonable than most:  the demos included a 10 foot log, a 30 lb sandbag, and a 40 lb boulder. Because most people live on construction sites. :indecisiveness:

I subbed as best I could with 2 20lb jugs of cat litter and, at one point, deadlifts with my 36lb son.  Nothing was quite the same as a giant log, though.  I love the concept of getting out into nature for strength training.  It's actually what drew me to the program, but I am finding myself more unprepared than I expected.