Hair Cutting

Hey, all.

Was wondering - does anyone here cut their own hair?  And can it be done with short hair?  Precipitated by not wanting to find a hairdresser in my last, what, 10 days in Dublin, knowing I tend to put off the hairdresser's, and if I can do it at home, it will reduce the chances of me spending weeks with my hair annoying the crap out of me.

Also, I just cut my fringe because it was bugging the everloving crap out of me, and I want to assess my chances of messing up entirely if I DIY the entire thing.

For reference, my hair type is actually remarkably similar to that of my avatar, but a bit curlier.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I cut my own hair, mostly just trimming up my bangs and the overall length/taking off split ends, or sometimes if I've gone a really long time between hair cuts I'll clean up the layers or put an extra layer in it.  I cut with a razor blade, rarely do I use scissors although I do have some.

I've done it for years and years, and had my share of "whoops... that's too short" moments too.  And curly hair is a bit harder to cut.  But if you're not scared of messing it up (you can always go to a professional and have them clean it up) I say go for it.  YouTube is full of videos on how to cut your own hair!

I have longish (currently platinum) hair that I decided to give a trim to after several vodkas the other night... Put it in a ponytail and just cut off the ends then turned the scissors to face the hair (think a straight line) and had a few short snips to make it less blunt... Thankfully it turned out ok. If you're going to do your own hair, I recommend sobriety and taking it slowly - you can always take more off later.

My First Challenge - Slaying the Phantom

I've been cutting my hair since high school, and like 67alecto, for me it's pretty easy with clippers. :P

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I finally tried to buzz my own head the other day. Surprisingly I did a good job.  My wife, who usually does it, is probably going to make me do it from now on.  I might need to re-think this.

I shaved my head once for a convention.  That was harder than actually buzzing it.  Mainly because I was sporting my new Klingon headpiece and doing the bald Klingon thing.  Took forever and haven't done it since.  My wife shaved it a couple of times since, but mostly now I just buzz it. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Is it possible to use clippers and still get longish hair out of it?  Like, maybe cut it down to two, two and a half inches?

Not sure, but I think you can with enough practice. 

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

You could probably do clippers with a comb and get it down to 2.5".  The hard part would be getting it even.  They make 1" guards for clippers, so it's definitely easy to do 1".  

However, I definitely second looking for videos on YouTube.  I've been cutting my hair since about 2008.  Of course, I'm a guy and it's easier to do guy cuts with clippers.  I just started with buzzing it all the same length with clippers.  But in June or so I decided to try something a little more complicated, making it way shorter on the sides and leaving it longer on top.  YouTube has videos that people have made for all kinds of hairstyles -- guys and girls.  It's definitely tricky doing it to yourself, but I actually really enjoy it.  I kind of wish some of my friends would let me try cutting their hair so I could get some more practice lol

Good job on the hair cut, Vella!

I cut my own hair too (can't afford a hair dresser).

I sometimes buzzcut, sometimes let it grow out and trim. It really depends on how annoying I find it at the time.

A few tips for next time:

1- Wet your hair before you cut to remove the curl factor, so you know you are cutting everything even.

2-Cut it a bit longer than you think you want it, that way you have room for fixes and adjustments.

3- Set yourself between two mirrors if possible so you see what you are doing in the back (tape them to the wall if you need, or use the bathroom mirror)

4- If you want to trim long hair, slick it back, stick a length of tape at the length you want (easier than hooking a bra ;)) and cut what's below.

Other than that, keep practicing! And bald is a perfectly acceptable do if you mess it up. :D

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Good job on the hair cut, Vella!

I cut my own hair too (can't afford a hair dresser).

I sometimes buzzcut, sometimes let it grow out and trim. It really depends on how annoying I find it at the time.

A few tips for next time:

1- Wet your hair before you cut to remove the curl factor, so you know you are cutting everything even.

2-Cut it a bit longer than you think you want it, that way you have room for fixes and adjustments.

3- Set yourself between two mirrors if possible so you see what you are doing in the back (tape them to the wall if you need, or use the bathroom mirror)

4- If you want to trim long hair, slick it back, stick a length of tape at the length you want (easier than hooking a bra ;)) and cut what's below.

Other than that, keep practicing! And bald is a perfectly acceptable do if you mess it up. :D

Yeah, I think wetting it works best.  I actually found it quite useful that my hair is curly - I cut curl by curl, which made it much easier not to have bits going everywhere at every length :D

My parents' bathroom mirror folds out so you have a three-sided mirror box thing, which was just about the best thing ever.  I shall need to jury-rig a mirror similar in my own house :P

Thanks - will definitely keep 'bald' in mind if things go wrong!  Mum even gave me her pair of clippers and nail scissors, which I didn't know she had, so next time I'll have some better equipment.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)