• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TennisGeek

TennisGeek's keeping serves

Happy holidays!

I had a good time at the last 6wks challenge, and I'd like to keep it rolling.

For this mini challenge, I'll keep track of carb servings and keep it as low as possible.

I'm more interested in fat loss than weight loss. That was my 6wks challenge goal and I aced "F" on the main goal despite my attempt.

Goal 1) Keep carbs less than 120g every day on MyFitnessPal.

Goal 2) Play tennis as much as possible.

Goal 3) Do strength training 2 times a week (Tuesday/Weekend). Why 2? cuz, I am playing tennis! 3 times is really difficult.

Since the end of last challenge, I played tennis every day so far, including the xmas eve.

Today is xmas day and the club is closed. Goal 2 is way too easy for me cuz that's what I do anyway.

I didn't notice the mini challenge 'til today, so the logs so far:

2013-12-22 (Sunday is my cheat day)

2,472 cals, 206g carb, 121g fat, 116g protein

Played tennis - 1 hour with a backspin guy before Patriots game.

Most of carbs came from 1st - fried rice, 2nd - sweet potatoes.

2013-12-23

2,235 cals, 166g carb, 85g fat, 147g protein (MFP says 182g carbs but I threw out half a english muffin - 16g.)

Played tennis - 1 hour with an old cranky dude

Most of carbs came from 1st - sweet potatoes, 2nd - pork with veg stir fry I made.

2013-12-24

2,372 cals, 250g carb, 115g fat, 86g protein

Played tennis - 1 hour with potty mouth but good fun guy before heading out to my sister in law's house.

Strength training - postponed to next day since I had to cook food before going out, and came home like 11:30pm.

Tough day for carbs as we brought the best rolls in Boston - Iggy's, Japanese style curry I made and rice cooker to sister's house for dinner since we provided food for dinner.

So far today (x-mas day), my macros looks like:

990 cals, 58g carb, 51g fat, 85g protein

One of x-mas presents was Steeve's Grass Fed Beef Jerky 5 packs and I already ate one!

I will go out to a family friends house later but I'll not touch any breads or alcohols.

Let's start the game.

2013-12-25 (X-mas day)

2,597 cals, 164g carb, 134g fat, 148g protein

No tennis.

For the x-mas day at friend's house dinner, I touched alcohol and desserts.

2600 cals/164g carbs is not terrible but I should have at least stayed away from desserts.

Yesterday, I made a tuna salad with paleo ingredients. Tuna, two kinds of vinegar, olive oil, tomato, olive, salt and pepper, and raisin.

Next time, I may try an apple, that should add a contrasting texture.

11553382464_5859115e50.jpg

This morning's breakfast was a 2 pieces of bacon and whole a lot of cabbage.

11566112374_9bdb298ec9.jpg

I love it.

• Like 1

Yesterday lunch was a "hash". It started very pretty until I decided to add eggs to it.
11568451933_3efd842e78.jpg
Once eggs added, it's a "complete meal" but ugly!
11568359284_590b29405a.jpg

Today's lunch is again a hash but with sweet potato. I decided to throw it in the oven after a while to make the potatoes cook evenly.

11586974555_032fab62f4.jpg

2013-12-26 

2,284 cals, 138g carb, 99g fat, 161g protein

Played 90 minutes of tennis with my good friend, and beat crap out of him.

Macros look fine despite having a beer. Holiday season is tough!

2013-12-27

1,660 cals, 148g carb,68g fat, 124g protein

Played 2 hours of tennis with a skin head asian guy (looks like a monk).

Most of carbs came from sweet potato hash I made (above picture), a lot of cabbage in the breakfast, and an apple.

With the solid 2 hour tennis, it's not bad at all.

Tonight's dinner was halibut with leek, bacon, chorizo, tomato and potato. I could have made it with sweet potato but I already ate it, and it tastes much better as it soaks up the good taste from bacon and chorizo.

11594019695_b254f461e9.jpg
  • Like 1

2013-12-27 (update)

2,460 cals, 164g carb, 148g fat, 140g protein

Played 2 hours of tennis with a skin head asian guy (looks like a monk).

And sat down, started watching TV, and started snacking. Bad bad bad!

My snack was the roasted pine nuts. 4oz of it = 800 calories! Ugh!

This late nite snacking is one of my problems. After coming home from tennis, it's hard to go to bed, so I turn on TV and try to relax, and get hungry and start snacking.

Saving grace is that, 2 hours of tennis burns 800 calories.

Sigh.

2013-12-28

1,938 cals, 135g carb, 99g fat, 132g protein

Played 1 hour of tennis with a guy who doesn't look like having fun, which makes playing him no fun.

Most of carbs came from Ezekiel low GLI bread, and one whole wheat roll.

This was intentional as I ate bread before going to tennis, and ate one roll between tennis and workout so that I don't have to burn my muscle. I needed a bit of sugar.

Workout: 1 hour (9pm - 10pm)

Warm up: Sworkit light warm up 5 minutes

Core workout: 20 minutes core workout routine from youtube.

It took me 40 minutes to follow as I took a lot of break.

Pull ups: 2, 3, 3, 2

Dumbbell upright row: 25lbs x 2, 7, 5

I was planning to do a lot more but my daughter declared she is going to bed, so it had to stop.

It turned out that, last night's 2 hours of tennis took a lot out of me, and another 1 hour today I played -- as I was doing core exercise, not much left in my tank.

It's good to do some pull ups but my neck has a strain from sleeping badly. That means my upper back is sore.

I wanted to do some push ups but I had to stop the workout.

Good thing is that, the core exercise included something like spiderman and bomber push ups, so not all is lost.

Tonight dinner was a left over halibut, but made a grilled veg salad.

11613983593_ece7bea671.jpg

I wanted to use avocado as the dressing oil but ones I got today was not ripe at all so I had to use olive oil and vinegar.

It's zucchini, summer squash and sweet potato grilled, tomato, lemon juice, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, raisin, salt and pepper.

It's good. Not a lot of prep but baking took a long time.

11614103524_acea5870f8.jpg

The halibut looks amazing (as do all the other pictures)!

Thanks.

I started putting in food pix since the last challenge. Food is a big part, and wanted to share and inspire fellow rebels to cook.

The cheesecake donuts? Is there a such thing?

Yes there is.  There's 3 of them.  An oreo cheesecake, chocolate cream cheesecake, and a strawberry cream cheesecake.  They're square shaped and have little candy bits on them.

All the food pics look good. I'm not a fish person and I even want to try some.  Eggs/hash always looks like a pile of garbage in the end but tastes awesome.

This morning started making pancakes for my daughter. Also made bacon and sweet potato fries with bacon grease.

It is a cheat day and no guilt eating a pancake but I have to brace myself for super hungry feeling before lunch.

(And that's why I want to cut out carbs.)

MFP already says 100g carbs, mostly from pancake.

I'm imagining my cells are having sugar high party!

I looked back MFP and most calories come from fat rather than protein. I need to find a better protein source. Best one was tuna steak last Sunday but steak grade tuna is freakin' 'pensive!!

Since last night's workout was interrupted, and eating a pancake made me running around like a zombie chicken without head, I decided to do the rest of workout I wanted to do last night.

I wanted to do shoulder press, push ups and chin ups. Bar bent over row is my staple but my back is sore, so I let it go. So, I did inverted row.

Warm up: Sworkit 5 minutes Light Warmup, 8lb DB lateral raise 12, front raise 12, 50lb DB front squat 10

Push up: 20, decline 14, 15

Chin up: 10, 10, 8, 3

Resistance band row: 50lb 10

Inverted row: 15, 14, 15

DB shoulder press: 8lb 12, 25lb 5, 7, 7

Meet my 8lb weights and wonderful gym. :playful:

11627939714_9d63cb1bab.jpg

11627046393_e1bd5b7343.jpg

Pullup bar is my prized possession, and a piece of rope from REI and a bar from yard sale completes my inverted row setup.

11626804365_b01f9da4ce.jpg

Depending on what you can have (dairy, allergies, etc)

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

I've found that I love cashews.

Thanks. I love almonds, and eat too much of it.

Going down the high protein food, my options are beef, pork, dairy, tofu, some beans.

I don't do full paleo but keep carbs in check. It's been working for me.

Dairy is not paleo either, but I need a good source of calcium because of my medication I'm taking right now.  So, I do dairy.

Once I'm off from the med, I may let go of dairy if it helps cutting down the body fat.

Yes there is.  There's 3 of them.  An oreo cheesecake, chocolate cream cheesecake, and a strawberry cream cheesecake.  They're square shaped and have little candy bits on them.

All the food pics look good. I'm not a fish person and I even want to try some.  Eggs/hash always looks like a pile of garbage in the end but tastes awesome.

Oh! the arteries clogging sugar!

Cod/Halibut is eaten with chorizo, and makes the thing interesting.

Here is the recipe from my head.

Ingredients:

- 1.5lb = 4 filet of white fish like cod, halibut. I got this one from Trader Joe's.

- 4-6 oz chorizo of your choice. I got Niman ranch fully cooked.

- 2 leeks. I actually used a bag of frozen leek from Trader Joe.

- 1 large Sweet potato (I used a white potato this time. I was tired of sweet potato.)

- pint of small (grape or cherry) tomato, cut in half or quarter depending on the size.

- Oil (coconut, of course), salt, pepper

Tools:

- Skillet, Oven, Baking dish - preferably Pyrex like in my picture 9x13

Steps:

- Grease the bottom of baking dish

- Peel and cut sweet potato in a quarter inch thick and lay it on the bottom of baking dish

- Cut leek into smallish pieces. I used frozen pre-cut pack so all I had to do was open the package.

- Cut chorizo into quarter inch pieces.

- Preheat oven @ 425

- In skillet, put in oil, cook the leek and chorizo. Taste it with salt and pepper. Remember, chorizo is spicy so you don't need much pepper. I did not use any salt or pepper because of chorizo salty and spicy.

- Once cooked, dump everything to the baking dish and spread them out.

- Cut tomatoes, and sprinkle the pieces on the baking dish

- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the fish, and lay the pieces down on top of the baking dish

- Bake the whole thing @ 425 for 17 minutes or so.

Done!

Dairy depends on the version of paleo.  Mark Sisson's primal blueprint says certain quality dairy is a sometimes food.  For me, I have interpreted this as whole milk and quality cheese and keep them limited usually.

Love the food pictures and your 8 pound weights. Try adding spinach, kale, or sardines for your calcium. I use unsweetened almond/coc milk (with a protein powder) for calcium, too. 

I add chopped hard boiled eggs to my tuna salad for the extra protein. Also add chopped green pepper, oil cured black olives, and a little dijon mustard for flavor. I don't think dijon is Paleo, but I just add a little for the zing. I think it's probably better than the gobs of mayo that I used to use. I also like thyme as a good spice with the tuna. 

Love the food pictures and your 8 pound weights. Try adding spinach, kale, or sardines for your calcium. I use unsweetened almond/coc milk (with a protein powder) for calcium, too. 

I add chopped hard boiled eggs to my tuna salad for the extra protein. Also add chopped green pepper, oil cured black olives, and a little dijon mustard for flavor. I don't think dijon is Paleo, but I just add a little for the zing. I think it's probably better than the gobs of mayo that I used to use. I also like thyme as a good spice with the tuna. 

Mustard is nearly all vinegar, and I use liberally, unless it has sugar in it.

I have 3 bunches of kale in the fridge. I was thinking to make kale with bacon but I still have the roasted veg salad.

Dinner was yet another Philly stuffed pepper. Pre-cheese topping and after the cheese melted. Nom nom nom.

11633827704_0e1350a58c.jpg

11633703653_2f040dedf3.jpg

Also, honey grazed apple and carrots sauteed with chicken stock and butter.

11633461575_8e36e4ce99.jpg

2013-12-29 (cheat day)

2,291 cals, 202 carb, 103 fat, 128 protein

Played almost 2 hours of tennis with the flattest shot in the universe guy.

Pancake, whole wheat rolls (2) and beer completed the cheat day. No regrets.

Other than those, my food was clean. I have not feeling the effect of starvation reaction so the cheat day now is more for soul rather than body.

Between the weekend core workout and tennis, my core muscle is sore this morning. Good sign.

That philly cheesesteak looks amazing.  Time to adjust the grocery list :)

The recipe is from "Primal Cravings".

Essentially, you cook onion and mushroom, brown ground beef, add worcestershire and hot sauces to it.

Bake green pepper @ 350 for 15 minutes, drain, stuff green pepper with beef/mushroom/onion, put a slice of cheese, put it back in the oven to melt the cheese.

I make this one very often. So easy. Built-in portion control. It uses ground beef which is cheaper than other meat. Mine is from grass-fed ground beef from Trader Joe's.

It's so easy a dad can do it.