• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello there!

This is my first challenge and I will try my best to slay all the little-but-numerous enemies of the Holidays!

Today is 25th but never mind, I happen to have an account of what I've done since the 23rd Dec.

My plans are basically:

• Since I have LOTS of free time, I'm hitting the gym everyday possible. When not possible I'll jog or ride my bike
  • I will practice moderation in my meals and won't drink alcohol
  • Sleep my 8/9 hours starting at 11 p.m
  • Try to convince my family that I'm not THAT crazy. Maybe I'm lucky enough and I can persuade my dad to eat healthy. He should try, honestly...

I weighed 155 lb the 23rd, let's see what happens!

I will post what I did on Monday and Tuesday in a couple of minutes. Some of the stuff I ate may be in Spanish, but feel free to ask whatever you want. English is not my mother tongue and I had to learn every exercise name in both languages... Kinda a pain in the a** :P

• Like 1

MONDAY 23rd DECEMBER

WOD 

Exercise/Sets/RepsxSet/Weight(in KG)

Leg Extension  2x15x10

Leg Extension  1x15x15

Seated Row, Floor, Machine 2x15x10

Seated Row, Floor, Machine 1x15x15

Triceps Push Down 2x12x10

Triceps Push Down 1x15x10

Biceps Curl 2x15x2

Biceps Curl 1x20x2

Rear Deltoid Raise 2x12x1

Rear Deltoid Raise 1x15x1

Leg Curls 2x15x10

Leg Curls 1x20x10

Low back- Superman  3x20 

Abdominal Crunches  3x20

PLUS

- 20' Treadmill (with intervals of running and walking lightly)

- 20' Elliptical (also with intervals)

- 20' Riding my bike (from home to the gym and viceversa)

And stretched every inch of my body

As for Food

I've read about Paleo Diet yesterday (24th Dec)

Since I started my journey to clean my diet and exercise, I tried to eat only when I'm hungry and as clean as possible. As for drinks I choose tea, water and mate. Don't you know what MATE is? If you are really interested I can show you. For now, I'd only say it's the best hot drink I will ever have! I cut out soda months ago and I DON'T MISS IT a little bit :)

BREAKFAST

Homemade Oat Bran Bread, 2 slices

Strawberry Jam, 2 Tbps

Orange Juice, 1 glass  

MID MORNING

Cherries, 4

Cookies with Sesame, Flux and Amaranth Seeds, 2  

LUNCH

Brown Rice, 1 Cup

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Zucchini cubes, 1 cup

Tomato pulp, 3 Tbsp

Medium Yellow Peach, 1  

TEA

Cherries, 2

Nature Crops - Quinoa and Prunes Bar, 1 Bar  

DINNER

Red Plum, 1

Tomato slices, 1 cup

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Cucumber slices, 1 cup

Onion slices, 1 cup

Shredded Lettuce, 1 cup

Red Pepper cubes, 1 cup

Breaded Soy, 1 unit

Olive, 1

Banana, 1

Edited by msreddy

Tuesday 24th December

WOD

Exercise/Sets/Reps/Weight(KG)
Low back- Superman 3x20
Abdominal Crunches 3x20
Leg Press 2x15x10
Leg Press 1x20x10
Pec Dec Butterfly (Pectoral Fly) 2x8x15
Pec Dec Butterfly (Pectoral Fly) 1x10x15
Lat Pulldown 2x15x20
Lat Pulldown 1x20x20
Lunge with Barbell 2x12x5
Lunge with Barbell 1x15x5
Standing Calf Raises 2x15x10
Standing Calf Raises 1x20x10
Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3x15x2.5
Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3x20x2.5
Lying Triceps Extension with Barbell 2x12x5
Lying Triceps Extension with Barbell 1x15x5

PLUS

- 20' Treadmill (with intervals of running and walking lightly)

- 10' Elliptical (also with intervals)

- 25' Walking (from home to the gym and viceversa)

Food:

I will be sincere this day and today were tough and I had some slips. Tomorrow will be 100% clean >.<

BREAKFAST

Strawberry Jam, 2 Tbps

Orange Juice, 1 glass  

LUNCH

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Zucchini cubes, 1 cup

Tomato pulp, 3 Tbsp

Ruby Red Grapefruit, 1/4 
Pumpkin, Spinach, Carrot Pasta, 1 cup cooked
Medium Banana, 1

MID AFTERNOON
Croppers (Mix of cashew nuts, peanut and pistachios), 30 gr
Oat bran bread, 1 slice
Walnut, 1

DINNER

Tomato slices, 1 cup

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Cucumber slices, 1 cup

Onion slices, 1 cup

Shredded Lettuce, 1 cup

Red Pepper cubes, 1 cup

Boiled Potato, cubes, 1 cup
Green Peas, 1 cup
GUILTY PLEASURE: Chocolate bread pudding, 60 gr (Approximately 250 kcal)

Wednesday 25th December

Wednesday

Breakfast
2 Cookies with sesame, flux and amaranth 
1 Glass of orange juice
Mate

Lunch
Boiled potato, cubed
Boiled carrot, cubed
Green peas
Sliced tomato
Sliced cucumber
Sliced onion
Olive

Tea
1 portion of chocolate bread pudding, 60 grs

Dinner
Boiled potato, cubed
Boiled carrot, cubed
Green peas
Sliced tomato
Sliced cucumber
Sliced onion
Olive

WOD

10' Interval running
10 jumping jacks
10 body weight squats
10 walking lunges
10" plank

From now on, food and exercise will be posted in my battlelog, and linked here  <-- I don't know how to do this!
Edited by msreddy

I don't know how to link a single post, instead of the thread, so I will copy paste my battlelog here :

Weigh in: 150 lb (after going to the bathroom, with nothing in my stomach)

WOD:

10' treadmill: Instead of 20' of light jogging and brisk walking, I chose intervals of running pretty fast and walking light. It says I did 1 km, 100 mt (0.68 miles)

3x20 crunches: 10" of rest between sets. These are already boring and I should look for variations

3x20 superman: 10" of rest between sets. Next time I should add some dumbbells

5x20 jumping jacks: 20" of rest between sets. I found these too easy. Do you know how can I vary them or which is the next "level" after jumping jacks?

3x20 body weight squats: 30" of rest between sets. They made me sweat like hell and I felt the soreness in every molecule of my legs. I can't go below 90°. How do you that?

3x20 walking lunges: idem squats

3x20 dumbbell rows: I think I may did them all wrong. I took the posture but instead of doing rows, I just curled my arm

4x20x7 kg (15 lb) bench press (medium grip): 30" of rest between sets. I did these instead of push ups because I tried, but I can't lift my own weight, not yet. 

4x20x2 kg (4 lb) barbell upright row

10" inclined-against-the wall plank: my journey to the handstand begins with this.

10' treadmill: this time, 1 km 250 mt (0.77 miles)

Stretching 

FOOD:

Breakfast

1 glass of orange juice 
1 portion of cookies with sesame, flux and amaranth seeds (2 cookies)
Mate

Lunch

1/2 cup of brown rice
1 cup of boiled carrots, cubed
2 tbsp of aluki pees
1 tbsp of tomato pulp
1 plum
1/4 red grapefruit
1 peach

Mid Afternoon (After Workout)

1 bar of Nature Crop (quinoa and prums)
2 cookies with sesame, flux and amaranth seeds
30 gr of mixed nuts: cashew nuts, peanut, pistachios
1 walnut

Dinner

1 cup of boiled carrots
1 cup of boiled zuchini
1/2 cup of red pepper, cubed
spring onion
1 cup of onion
1 unit of breaded soy with squash
1 pear

As for Food

I've read about Paleo Diet yesterday (24th Dec)

Since I started my journey to clean my diet and exercise, I tried to eat only when I'm hungry and as clean as possible. As for drinks I choose tea, water and mate. Don't you know what MATE is? If you are really interested I can show you. For now, I'd only say it's the best hot drink I will ever have! I cut out soda months ago and I DON'T MISS IT a little bit :)

BREAKFAST

Strawberry Jam, 2 Tbps

Orange Juice, 1 glass  

MID MORNING

Cherries, 4

LUNCH

Brown Rice, 1 Cup

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Zucchini cubes, 1 cup

Tomato pulp, 3 Tbsp

Medium Yellow Peach, 1  

TEA

Cherries, 2

DINNER

Red Plum, 1

Tomato slices, 1 cup

Carrot strips, 1 cup

Cucumber slices, 1 cup

Onion slices, 1 cup

Shredded Lettuce, 1 cup

Red Pepper cubes, 1 cup

Breaded Soy, 1 unit

Olive, 1

Banana, 1

Are you vegetarian?

It looks like you are getting very little protein.

If I eat what you are eating, I'm like a zombie looking for food all day.

Also, breakfast is disturbing. It's a blood sugar spike food only. Juice, bread and jam.

If I do that, I'll be pigging out lunch as it makes me so much hungrier than eating eggs and bacon.

Do you know your macros?

Hi Tennis Geek, thanks for your interest! 

Yes, I've been vegetarian for a couple of months now, but at first I wasn't exercising so I didn't feel like something was missing. Now I'm exercising everyday, doing 10-20 minutes of interval running and starting lifting. I don't feel really hungry between breakfast and lunch. I usually feel hungry when dinner comes. And then, I feel quite full after what I usually eat. I think this may be because my workout isn't very demanding.

When I read about Paleo I'd had already bought my food for two weeks. These cookies, I know they're a sugar spike but I don't have anything better for breakfast for now. Today I ate the last ones and tomorrow will be my shopping day, so I'd be glad to hear better options. 

I don't know when to eat what, either. I'm kinda lost. What I did was just erase everything processed, eat as clean as possible in comparison with what I ate before.

I don't even know what macros are exactly. Where should I start? 

Hi Tennis Geek, thanks for your interest! 

Yes, I've been vegetarian for a couple of months now, but at first I wasn't exercising so I didn't feel like something was missing. Now I'm exercising everyday, doing 10-20 minutes of interval running and starting lifting. I don't feel really hungry between breakfast and lunch. I usually feel hungry when dinner comes. And then, I feel quite full after what I usually eat. I think this may be because my workout isn't very demanding.

When I read about Paleo I'd had already bought my food for two weeks. These cookies, I know they're a sugar spike but I don't have anything better for breakfast for now. Today I ate the last ones and tomorrow will be my shopping day, so I'd be glad to hear better options. 

I don't know when to eat what, either. I'm kinda lost. What I did was just erase everything processed, eat as clean as possible in comparison with what I ate before.

I don't even know what macros are exactly. Where should I start? 

To know your goal, try this one.

To know what you eat, you can use any of smart phone apps, tracking web sites.

I use MyFitnessPal (aka MFP) on iPhone/iPad/website. I know Australia has its own. CalorieKing.

Fitbit and other fitness tracking also does the calorie and macro tracking as well.

The reason why I want to know the food intake is that, I want to know the carb intake, and don't want to get into "starvation response" by feeding too little.

It's also known as metabolism slow down.

Your body starts to preserve the body fat by slowing down the metabolism when the body fat decreases and/or you feed too little.

It happened to me before.

You need to find out what works for you.

If the food you are eating is working for you (gain or loss), and you have enough energy to exercise, I don't think you need to change much.

I don't have much knowledge about being vegan-paleo, I think google is your best friend for that.

(I am guessing you end up eating a lot of tofu.)

For the macro tracking, you also need to find out what works for you. Try MFP first. Many people here do.

If it doesn't work, then ask questions in the question forum.

In general, just ask questions in appropriate forum and you'll get a lot of info.

Well, that helps a LOT. Thank you, really, to take the time to give me something to start learning :) 

I want to lose fat, and build strength. I don't know if weight would be in the equation because it's in the "normal range". Again, as I have read in NF blog, BMI is not very reliable either. 

My BMR is 1425, assuming I exercise 3 to 5 times a week I need 1709 calories to lose weight. Something else, should I input my weight in lean mass or including fat? Because of what the article says: "1 gram per 0.5 kg of lean mass" which in that case would be 42 grams of protein, cause I weigh 67.5 kg (149 lb) with aprox. 30% fat

What I'm not sure is what do I have to input in the macro calculator, the BMR or the 1709 calories I will need assuming the workouts? I input 1709 and it resulted in 1846 for workout days and 1367 for rest days. 

I have to make these questions in the appropiate forum, though...

On Workout Day

Carbs: 646 cals / 162 grams

Protein: 462 cals / 116 grams

Fat: 738 cals / 82 grams

On Rest Day

Carbs: 205 cals / 51 grams

Protein: 342 cals / 86 grams

Fat: 820 cals / 91

I have an MFP user but I only used it to track calories. Didn't quite understand the rest :P 

I thought about these while I ate today, I added some more nuts and olive oil to my salad...

Well, that helps a LOT. Thank you, really, to take the time to give me something to start learning :)

I want to lose fat, and build strength. I don't know if weight would be in the equation because it's in the "normal range". Again, as I have read in NF blog, BMI is not very reliable either. 

My BMR is 1425, assuming I exercise 3 to 5 times a week I need 1709 calories to lose weight. Something else, should I input my weight in lean mass or including fat? Because of what the article says: "1 gram per 0.5 kg of lean mass" which in that case would be 42 grams of protein, cause I weigh 67.5 kg (149 lb) with aprox. 30% fat

What I'm not sure is what do I have to input in the macro calculator, the BMR or the 1709 calories I will need assuming the workouts? I input 1709 and it resulted in 1846 for workout days and 1367 for rest days. 

I have to make these questions in the appropiate forum, though...

On Workout Day

Carbs: 646 cals / 162 grams

Protein: 462 cals / 116 grams

Fat: 738 cals / 82 grams

On Rest Day

Carbs: 205 cals / 51 grams

Protein: 342 cals / 86 grams

Fat: 820 cals / 91

I have an MFP user but I only used it to track calories. Didn't quite understand the rest :tongue:

I thought about these while I ate today, I added some more nuts and olive oil to my salad...

Horay! Nuts! Olive oil! Omega 3 for the Win! :-)

Workout/rest day intake - I cannot stick to it. I just eat normal schedule with normal amount. I like to eat too much.

If you can follow it, you are maximizing the chance of losing fat. I cannot.

BMR is a guideline and not really exact. Everyone's metabolism is different.

Your body's BMR probably changes depending on your body condition (hormonal condition) and sleep as well.

You keep track of calories and watch the weight changes. If you are loosing weight too fast, you may hit "diet wall" - metabolic slowdown.

Then, you need to back up the intake a while until your body gets out the starvation response.

Common practice is to have a "carb day" (aka cheat day). But, in your case, you get a lot of carb from vegetables anyway that I'm not sure it's needed.

You may be able to indulge sweet or two on weekends.

I did a lot of reading about losing fat and gaining muscle at same time, and though it's possible, it's not the most efficient way to lose fat or gain muscle.

You can check out this one about lose fat/gain muscle.

It will tell you how important to keep up with protein.

What Scooby is telling is how to lose fat and gain muscle, but in reality, it's just how to live healthy in my opinion.

Good luck.

I hope you are not overdoing the effort. If you change food and add exercise at same time. It's kind of too much. Small, incremental changes win.

You want to make your body to use stored fat.

Having orange juice and cookies before going to workout makes it easy for body to preserve fat because sugar is coming from stomach.

It gives you the boost for good exercise, but if the goal is to lose body fat, it's counter productive. 

Marathon runners do carb load because the goal of eating is to improve the performance in short term. 

You want none of that. 

Also you want to up the protein so that after workout, your muscle recovers using protein.

OTOH, some carb after workout helps recovery.

Commonly used guideline for protein is that, 1g protein/1lb body weight. You'd need 150g protein every day.

Don't worry! I started first with my diet, a couple of months ago. I added some walking and biking around the city. And I've started gym a fortnight ago :)

Well, my weigh today is 147 lbs :D

I think the holidays were pretty awesome for me :D

edit to add: I suppressed orange juice and cookies for breakfast. It was hard to say goodbye, tho

Edited by msreddy

Don't worry! I started first with my diet, a couple of months ago. I added some walking and biking around the city. And I've started gym a fortnight ago :)

Well, my weigh today is 147 lbs :D

I think the holidays were pretty awesome for me :D

edit to add: I suppressed orange juice and cookies for breakfast. It was hard to say goodbye, tho

One of technique is to do workout first and then eat breakfast.

Intermittent fasting works in the same principal. Make body to use the stored fat first.

Last summer. Hop on my bike when I get up in the morning, and ride for hours without food.

I finish the ride at a BBQ restaurant and eat BBQ and veges as much as I like. Works great.

• Like 1