Need help with macros for building muscle

PrimalSiren

Ok I'll try to keep this short. I know how to eat to drop weight, but I've been at maintenance for two years and I want to take it to the next level and tone up and build muscle. My problem is I can't figure out how to go about this. I've been eating primal/paleo pretty strictly for over two years and my body composition won't change. I know with maintenance I can be pretty lazy with my macros, but I want to get fit and I have no idea where to start.

So far I go to the gym 3x a week and do sprints in the elliptical for 12 mins then lift heavy (for me) weights (usually the barbell battalion routine).

Currently I'm 125lbs at 24% body fat. I'm short at 5'3. I'd like to lower my body fat to 20%.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

• Like 1

What are you eating right now?

If you want to gain some muscle I'd probably recommend something along the lines of 124g protein, 220g of carbs, and 50g of fat. Should be roughly 1823 calories. But that's dependent on what maintenance is for you, it might need to be higher, it might need to be lower. I'd say go with a 200 cal surplus per day for two weeks and see where that leads you.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I'm eating roughly 1400 calories a day, I haven't tracked for over a year so this is just a guess. I basically eat 3 eggs and a few strips of bacon and some veggies in the morning, lunch and dinner are usually meat and veggies and rice or potatoes at dinner. I cook with a lot of fat and I drink tea with coconut oil which adds to my calories also.

24% bf for a woman is probably relatively lean and it sounds like you've been into the fitness gig for awhile. So if I were you, I'd pick one route or the other and stick with it for a few months, i.e. bulk and add muscle, or cut and trim fat. It'll be hard to do both at the same time and probably leave you right where you are right now.

Since it sounds like you've been dieting and down to maintenance for awhile now, I'd switch up the diet a bit, lower fat, add carbs and lift heavy while in a surplus to add some muscle. Who knows, you may even trim a little fat. Figure out exactly what you're eating now by logging for a week, then add about 200 calories to that, mostly from carbs and protein. Shoot for at least 100g of protein and probably 50g of fat. You might want to cut back on the fat intake to see if it'll help with the bodyfat thing.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB