Here We Go! Any advice on kicking sugar cravings??

TravelAddict

Hi everyone... I'm giving this thing a go. Kinda nervous, since this is a new lifestyle, so I figured I might as well make it public to try to cement the commitment!!

It started a couple weeks ago when I began feeling really awful- dizzy, uncomfortable, faint, weak. Couple this with always feeling uncomfortable in my own skin, as well as after every meal, and things haven't been so good. THe doctor told me to go off simple carbs (bread, pasta, etc) for a month and see how I feel... And in just a week I have stopped getting dizzy, stopped feeling bloated, stopped having digestive trouble... Pretty much everything I've been suffering from for weeks, if not YEARS!! I've even had people ask me if I've lost a significant amount of weight (I haven't... just a couple pounds) but I guess with the reduction in bloating I must look way thinner... I don't hate that, though I love more the fact that it makes me feel good!! 

So, I thought, let's give this thing a shot. Giving up grains really hasn't been too much of a struggle- with the way they make me feel, I'm happy to get rid of them. And I've been mostly dairy free for some time. BUT, sugar is a killer. Those cravings absolutely destroy me!! 

But I figured I'd jump in and give it a shot. To better fitness (and less digestive misery) in 2014! Any advice on getting rid of the sugar cravings most welcome... Thanks! :)

• Like 2

Good on ya! When I first started out, any time I wanted sweets, I would eat fruit, usually some sort of tropical fruit (it seems sweeter to me). It's still kinda high in sugar, but it helped transition my mindset towards healthier food for snacking. If your sugar intake is still too high later on, it won't be as hard to taper back to less sweet fruits, or to cut down on the overall amount. Good luck with it!

• Like 2

Race: Ogre Mage

LVL 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 | STA 0 | CON 0

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we.

Set small goals and build upon them.

~Lee Haney 

I, also, am brand new but this lifestyle moves and motivates me like no other I have come upon. I am a nerd ... just older than most.

The use of fruits to solve sugar cravings is something I am trying as well.

Seems to be much better than running for candy, etc.

I hope to succeed in this new journey .. as I read, it is for life.

Success to us all!

• Like 3

I know the feeling it was one of the few things I got right in 2013.. but this year I can walk into 2014 with my head held high as I leave the Sugar Hut blazing away and a pile of cinders

as it cast a orange glow in the fading distance.. the secret is... their aint one.. read the alternatives and wow their so man made the names sound as artificial as they are.. Candarel, sweet and lo all sound so nice.

Well I did it the nerds fitness way! simples. over last 4 Months  (yeh I know) whimpy as it may sound my game plan was basic..

First it was the No sugar in my last cup of Coffee or after a meal when in a restaurant. then the second month no sugar in hot drinks after work. The third was no sugar at work

to the last month being no sugar in my morning coffee, I just slowly at a comfy pace took the sugar out of my need it list.. now im sugar free

P.S yeh I know this year its going to be a reduce my Coffee intake to a better Green Tea option.

But this Winged Templar will bring down a Blazing storm if his Morning brew

is taken away..

• Like 4

:angel: of the Wilderness Level 1 Archangel Templar order of the NF blazing Light.

STR 2 - DEX 1- STA 2 - CON 4 - WIS 3 - CHA 2 

Your current safe boundaries were once fears.. Push your boundaries till your last breath.

if I don't make the Cake or the biscuits then you wont find them in out home..

• Like 1

:angel: of the Wilderness Level 1 Archangel Templar order of the NF blazing Light.

Your current safe boundaries were once fears.. Push your boundaries till your last breath.

Ice cream has always been my biggest weakness. if you check the link below you'll see the most amazing discovery I've ever made, a perfect ice cream substitute using only bananas. You can add all sorts of stuff to it, cinnamon, walnuts and dark chocolate chunks makes a beautiful chunky monkey substitute, for example. Get creative with it! 

http://www.thekitchn.com/stepbystep-instructions-for-on-97170

• Like 2

I eat a big pink lady apple and a big glass of cold water, wait ten minutes. If that doesn't do it (this may be paleo faux pas!) I chew on some gum. Blue 5 is my fave. It can cause bloating but generally the sweetness tides me until the next meal.

• Like 1

Chaotic Good Elans Adventurer

Level 2      STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 1

1st challenge
2nd challenge

I work at a fitness studio. Annually we do a 50-day lifestyle clean-up challenge starting in February, after the holidaze are over and everyone has abandoned their resolutions. Over the course of 7 weeks, we coach people on how to get back on track with their wellness/fitness goals. We devote one week to getting rid of sugar. Actually, it takes only 3 days, but we try to go 5. We always tell people to quit sugar and all natural sweeteners (even stevia), fruit and all juices, any form of artificial sweeteners, alcohol, and all refined carbs - cold turkey for three days. During these three days, we do NOT encourage dieting or cutting calories of any sort. We do encourage increasing non-starchy vegetables, healthy fats and proteins. We also encourage drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of sleep.

Cravings for sugar do occur, and the first day is usually the worst. But by the third day, most of our participants reported that they were so satisfied by the food they were eating that they didn't crave anything sweet. On the fourth day, some tried to eat something sweet that they formerly had but found it didn't taste good to them any more.

After the fifth day, we tell our participants that they can go back to having a serving or two of fruit per day, as well as whole grains. We tell them to go ahead and have sweetened foods on occasion, but to understand that if they are relying on a sugar boost to make it through their afternoons, then they're not getting enough sleep, water and the right nutrition to stay awake.

We host this challenge annually because everybody loses focus during the holidaze. Even my boss loses focus, which she freely admits. It's normal. But we don't have to be enslaved by sugar.

• Like 2

Good on ya! When I first started out, any time I wanted sweets, I would eat fruit, usually some sort of tropical fruit (it seems sweeter to me). It's still kinda high in sugar, but it helped transition my mindset towards healthier food for snacking. If your sugar intake is still too high later on, it won't be as hard to taper back to less sweet fruits, or to cut down on the overall amount. Good luck with it!

This sounds very similar to my experience. I drank a lot of sodas and ate a lot of candy, so the first few weeks were rough, but after that, the fruit became sweet again. Sometimes you just have to fight those cravings.

• Like 2

It's hard weaning yourself off sweets, especially if you've been used to having them often.

I remember when I stopped drinking pop and switched to water, it was terrible at first...however if you just keep at it, eventually you'll overcome it and you'll feel wonderful for it! 

Try to constantly remind yourself of the good you're doing for your body and health.  Look at it as making a promise to yourself that you're not going to put anything in your mouth unless it's going to benefit and nourish your body.

Also, this video lecture here "Sugar:  The Bitter Truth" sure cured me quite well.  It's long (hour and a half) but it's very informative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

• Like 1

Well im sat here reading the blogs drinking my Green Tea, so many types and brands... Todays one sounds like Motorbike Company....YamaMotoYama...its part of keeping it up trying brands and flavours.. Not the thing i thought id be drinking on a wet winters morning looking out at the rain..

we can all do it as Steve says With Hard Hats or pure stubborness..

So go Nerds  

• Like 1

I quit sugar about 4 weeks ago and the first week was probably the hardest - now I rarely even care if other people eat it in front of me :) So hang in there because it will get easier with time.

I could never have succeeded if I felt deprived, so instead of having sugar I found replacements like almond butter, avocados, or natural yoghurt with a few cubes of mango and a sprinkling of a quinoa seed based muesli. 

That way I wasn't 'denying' myself anything but rather just chosing to 'fill up' on something else instead. Fats are fantastic for making you feel full and uninterested in eating. I ate a lot more than I normally would in that first week while trying to manage the side efffects of sugar withdrawal.

After the first 2 weeks (when my insulin and leptin started improving?), I noticed I was getting full pretty quickly and no longer had the need for my 'replacement' foods.

Now 4 weeks on and I'm still going strong - yesterday was Valentines Day and because I hadn't made desserts (which I was famous for before I quit sugar) I made creme brulee for my husband and had a small bite. And seriously, that was enough. I'm super proud because in the past, I probably would have eaten it all without any hesitation :)

So my advice would be: Find a healthy, filling food you can turn to when you're craving sugar - do anything to break the habit and you'll soon be in control of your cravings :)

• Like 1

Any time I find myself becoming a sugar junkie, I quit candy cold-turkey. The crazy thing is that I get jittery and irritated when I want it, much like an addict, so I need to distract myself or just get out of the house for a walk until it passes. Luckily, it only take a few days for sugar's curse to be broken. Stay strong!

• Like 2

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

I'm pretty prone to sugar cravings, and what works for me whenever they come up is to cut sugar out completely.  My definition of completely varies on the kinds of cravings I'm getting-- I realized a few weeks ago how often I turned to food as emotional comfort. I cut out all sugar (including FRUIT) and grains and paid careful attention to eating only when I was hungry, and only to solve my hunger.  After 3 days of no fruit, I eased it back in, but that time off showed me that even when I grabbed an apple instead of cookies, it was more often because of emotional eating than nourishment.  On the other hand, if I feel like more physical cravings are getting out of hand, I've found that cutting out any sweetened food but leaving in fruit will do the trick. 

Hope this helps! Above all, really not wanting/intending to give in to sugar cravings is the most important, because as everyone here has said, it only takes a few days of ignoring that urge and it's basically gone.

• Like 1

I've followed the same program as Wild Angell, first end the soft drinks, then sugar out of coffee and tea (at first so gross, but you get used to it quick), then slowly cutting back on other evil delights.

I crumble on occasion. Ice coffees from the shops are a danger, and I've had two Cadbury Creme eggs since they started selling them in our local. But so far I'm doing pretty good.

The thing that really shocked me was the INCREDIBLY bad head aches I got. Hard to believe the stuff has such a hold on your system until you try and stop taking it.

Snacks are a Blight... i treat them as a tarnishing/rusting of my armour...

Aldi have them shouting at me as soon as i walk in for my shopping..Now i just walk past the isle altogether...

Their are a few helpful Blogg sites i use tio make my Pack lucnh for grazing while at work...ill link them in for my fellow band of nerds.

• Like 2

I have found that my sugar cravings now are totally emotion driven from years of training. Sad thing is, it often doesn't even taste good.

Sugar does nothing good for the body, and artifical is so much worse.

Good on everyone here for fighting this demon!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Any time I find myself becoming a sugar junkie, I quit candy cold-turkey. The crazy thing is that I get jittery and irritated when I want it, much like an addict, so I need to distract myself or just get out of the house for a walk until it passes. Luckily, it only take a few days for sugar's curse to be broken. Stay strong!

Last night I had my husband hide the chipits for me. It had to be done. The battle begins again.

Adding in avocado to my morning smoothie helps too - the fat keeps me from wanting sugar as badly later in the day. Could just be me though.

Oh, and I'm taking a big gulp of water every time the craving hits me. That was a big help last night.

Their are a few helpful Blogg sites i use tio make my Pack lucnh for grazing while at work...ill link them in for my fellow band of nerds.

Link, please! Much appreciated.

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

A Few Bloggs ive used i also Get The Paleo maggazine to...

Nom Nom Paleo

Has a good guide, and i like the Lunch box idea,, ive used them as a blue print for mine now.. to the style and what goes in.. i have alays hated a pack lunched and to this day id rather eat hot or warm food than cold sandwich so its a winner with me

Everday Paleo and Civilised paleo are good to i tens to find i like Bloggs more as you get their true take and feeling on it.. plus some will give you tips for alternatives..