So... about vegetables

Samus

Vegetables are great for you. I've spent hours upon hours over the past couple of years researching all the amazing things vegtables have inside them.

I've juice fasted (the longest I ever made it was 13 days), I've gone weeks eating no processed food before, and I've read that given enough time my palate will change and I will grow to like vegetables.

The problem is I hate vegtables. I realize a month isn't enough time to realistically change my palate. But I'm a father of three young children, I need lots of energy to keep up with them. I can't starve myself until I'm so hungry I can stomach vegetables. And I don't think a diet that is about 50% fruit will do me a lot of good either.

Tomotoes literally make me gag and vomit if I try to eat them. Lettuce had the same effect on me until my 20's, something changed and I can eat it without gagging now. Brocolli used to have that effect on me but I found a painful process to change that. A sad as this is I spent time forcing myself to eat brocolli, vomit and then repeat. Now I can stomach brocolli (only raw, the smell of it cooking still makes me nauseous) but I don't enjoy eating it. I juice vegtables sometimes, but always with a fruit like pinapple that overpowers the bitter taste of greens.

Here are the vegtables I enjoy eating:

Carrots

Spinach

Celery

That's it. I hate vegtables, they are disgusting to me. Mentally I want them but my palate hates them. I understand most people don't just love vegtables. But I seem to have a particularly bad time with them. Has anyone else had this difficult a time just getting vegetables down your throat?

I'm all for the paleo diet. I was convined years ago it was the way to go. I love various fruits and nuts and I already eat only grass fed meat. Tons of fruit won't help me lose weight though, vegetables will, I want to eat them but I am having serious trouble doing so.

* I apologize for my horrendous spelling. I'm currently at work and there is no in-browser spell check here. I depend on it heavily at home.

I've been having the same issues, I try to mix them with something else so I don't taste them so much. Perhaps you should try a stirfry! If you add enough seasonings it even makes the veggies that I really have a hard time with taste good!

Level 1 Aquatic Elf - Level 2 Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2 

My Current Challenge

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act,

the rest is merely tenacity." - Emelia Earheart

Most vegetables taste better with bacon and butter ;)

My bf dislikes Brussels sprouts a lot, and I quite like them, so get some bacon, bake out some of the fat and spread that over the sprouts and you taste a lot less of them. This works really well on salads as well, I often put bacon on lettuce. If you prepare stuff in the oven the smell bacon of will also overpower the smell of the vegetable. 

You can also try preparing things like red cabbage with a lot of herbs (cinnamon, cloves, garlic). This does a good job masking the taste of the actual vegetables. Same thing with something like coleslaw, add in more mustard, mayonaise  and vinegar. Also, as you eat carrots, add in more carrots less cabbage. 

You could also see if you can find different vegetables then the once you know already. There is a large selection of vegetables that most people never eat just because they aren't the easy choices. Find recipes and make something that includes a lot of ingredients that you do like. 

Simply put, make your vegetables so they taste as little as possible as vegetables ;) Even if that's more unhealthy than just vegetables you're still getting in a lot of the good stuff. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Have you tried roasting them? I think roasting sweetens them. Toss with oil and seasonings and roast at 400 degre

The veggies you like are healthy-you can eat a bunch of spinach.

Other similar veggies might be kale, or other greens.

Kohlrabi has a very similar texture to celery, try it and see if you like it.

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Change is possible.  A lot of my palate changes didn't come until I was in my late 20s though.  As a kid I liked corn and peas (neither is a true vegetable), broccoli with cheese and raw celery.  I hate hate hated carrots.  Mushrooms were disgusting.  Salads were limited to Caesar salads.  Slowly my tastes changed.  I think I started with things like bbq chicken salads from CPK - lots of random veggies in that but covered in so much dressing.  Now I eat pretty much every single vegetable besides raw tomatoes (pico de gallo will always be disgusting) and super smelly greens like mustard greens.  

Roasting does help a lot.  Combining things like broccoli with starchy veggies is good.  Then you can get a piece of each on your fork.   Spices help a lot.  Cauliflower is another veggie you couldn't pay me to eat before and now I can devour an entire head if it's roasted or in a puree.  Curries are another way to learn to love veggies.  I'm totally rambling now.

If you've got a few vegetables that you do like, then try branching out by trying similar ones.  Ex: if you like carrots, there's a good chance you'd like parsnips.  Spinach: kale, or swiss chard.  Can't help ya with celery :tongue:

Also, any recipe that calls for chicken stock/broth can generally be subbed with vegetable stock/broth, which is very easy to make at home.  This includes any recipe that calls for deglazing the pan to make sauce, which when I cook, is almost everything.  I use this recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vegetable_stock/

Made this recipe with new years which is nice as you can stuff a lot of vegetables in meatloaf without tasting it. There was someone at the party who doesn't like tomatoes at all. He didn't even taste they were in there in a large quantity.

5B1F5EE7-B11F-4F0A-936C-898DF51B1014_zps 27B807AC-5481-44F9-985A-DE4647CB2694_zps

First picture: Vegetable mash 

Second picture: Ready for the oven

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

As a nanny I've gone round and round this issue with multiple kids (I'm not calling you childish - I know a lot of adults have this issue too, but I'm not responsible for feeding them). The vegetable-loving, strong-willed part of me wants them to learn to eat the veggies whole and learn to like the taste of them. The part of me that's done this for years knows that you don't have to taste or see them to get the health benefits. 

Chop them really really small. I use one of those pampered-chef choppers or a food processor to make them itty bitty with minimal effort. I also grate them on a cheese grater and use my julienne peeler. I put grated zucchini and carrots and bell peppers in meatballs and meatloaf. I chop veggies super tiny for soups and sauces. 

Cook them in with things that have stronger flavors- I can get my kids to eat all sorts of veggies if I put them in a stew/soup/chili that stews in a crockpot for several hours. My broccoli hating 9 year old will eat steamed broccoli that's been chopped fine and stirred into his tuna salad. 

My kids will eat pickled/fermented veggies sometimes as well (we ferment them at the house).

Roasting things does make them sweeter, and you can add a little bit of honey if need be. 

Someone wrote a book on how to sneak veggies into your kids meals. Check it out for ideas. 

• Like 2

I read something a while back that the reason a lot of kids don't like vegetables (and some adults too) is because they are super-tasters.  A lot of the goodness in veggies is bitter, which can also indicate a lot of poisonous substances.  Evolutionarily, kids are supertasters so that they are less likely to eat poisonous things before they learn what is safe.

I could be way off base, but I'm too lazy to look up the source now.

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I love love love vegetables and the absence of guilt when I eat them just tastes soooo good! 

Mm!

Ok.

Some ideas:

1. Roasted root veg - carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, summer or winter squash drizzled in olive oil, seasoned with rosemary and roasted in the oven for ca. 40 mins depending on quantity. Just spear it with a skewer to check if it's done.

2. Asparagus vinaigrette - steam the asparagus and fry it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Grate parmesan cheese over it if you like or top with eggs done however you like (this is a Delia Smith recipe, I think)

3. Mange tout / snow peas mixed with pea shoots, olive oil, avocado and feta for a Greek twist. I like this one cold as a kind of salad

4. Peas, lettuce and spring onions baked in butter - really nice and tastes so fresh

5. Ratatouille 

6. Chopped cucumber tossed in balsamic vinaigrette with red onion / bell peppers

7. Any kind of stir fry - tip when doing this, though - add a little hot water to the pan to get the vegetable going. Mushrooms, in particular, soak up the oil from your pan. Doesn't necessarily need more oil, just a bit of water or broth for extra flavour

8. Garlic mushrooms - make a garlic / butter / lemon / parsley paste and spoon it into the little cavity created when you pop off the mushroom stalk. Place mushrooms with paste in them into oven and bake for 15-20 mins. Epic.

9. Artichokes. My God, I can just eat these out of the tin lol but they taste great with salmon in a pesto-type sauce.

10. Zucchini - great fried in olive oil until golden

11. Spaghetti squash - it's actually a root veg but it's actually like spaghetti! What sorcery is this?! :P Make a Bolognese sauce and serve with this

12. Waldorf salad - shredded carrots with sultanas and walnuts

13. Fried cabbage with bacon. Yum :)

14. Beetroots - good for lowering blood pressure. I put vinegar on these and add to any standard salad

15. Stuffed peppers - cut the top off a pepper, put something amazing inside and then bake it in the oven. It's like a healthy Kinder Surprise! :D

Also, get creative with your dressings and sauces if bitterness is an issue for you. Some people find that vegetables on their own can be dull or boring (not me clearly lol) But fry them in soy sauce / sweet chilli sauce / balsamic vinegar / honey mustard dressing and experiment with some of your own salad dressings. Also keep trying things - new flavours can take 5-6 tries before your taste buds go 'wait a second....yeah that tastes ok, actually.' 

Hope some of that might provide a few ideas.

Very best.

• Like 2

Hey Samus!

It took me a while to start liking vegetables, but my problem comes from the texture, not the taste. Solution? Toss some cubed vegetables in a chicken broth, add some tomato paste for colour and flavour, and when they are cooked put everything in a blender. Presto: creamed vegetable soup.

I love the taste of tomatoes but can't stand the texture, so I only use tomato paste or sauce. Same thing with onions. I blend them, pan fry them and add them to whatever dish I am making.

Have you tried the squash family? Butternut squash, zucchinis, pumpkin, etc.? The texture is similar to carrots or potatoes when cooked, the flavour is mild and they are easy to "hide" with another flavour. Garlic is your friend if you want to overpower some flavours.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I have the same problem - still struggling to put more vegs in my daily intake ;/ mostly the green ones which are the healthiest right? (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, kale, etc).

BUT I DO LOVE VEGGIE SOUPS - so my question is: do I get most of the good ingredients from vegs when I cook them in the soup? I know minerals will stay untouched but what about vitamins and other healthy stuff? 

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

As long as you incorporate whatever cooking liquid you used into your meal/soup, any vitamins leached by that cooking method will remain. I mean, some things are broken down by heat but that happens with any cooking method.

"Life is Forever Tries" - Glennon Melton Doyle

My Current Mantra: These little changes WILL add up. There WILL be a tipping point. I just have to be patient. 

Mashed Cauliflower, tastes just like mashed potatos

Boil the cauliflower for about 12min, drain, mash, add garlic and parsley, it has identical texture to mashed potatoes and substitutes well.

THERE ARE A TON of veggies out there, you have talked about the asy and basic ones. Look into squash, spaghetti squash is great with a pasta sauce or something. Zuchini and yellow squash are actually pretty tasty raw, but cooked with some bacon or sweet potatos and its a whole other beast again.

Any sauce you can make you can always add in a couple of chop veggies to, especially great with pasta sauce (I don't know if you can eat tomato sauce, i know you said you hate the tomatoes themselves).

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

Raw broccoli, bacon & grapes, with some dressing on top. My favourite salad, as I'm not a fan of leafy veggies.

I mean, I don't know if it will actually help you or not... but everything is better with bacon. amirite?

I'm also a fan of red cabbage. It's sort of sweet tasting. Colour variation is important - means you're getting different micro-nutrients.

Also, red cabbage turns eggs blue/green in an omelette. I thought that was pretty cool.

Spaghetti squash is mild and sweet. I like it as a side, or to make paleo spaghetti. Or Pad Thai. :]

I also hand-mash cauliflower.

Brussel sprouts... no wait, asparagus...oh and zucchini... mmm.

I used to hate veggies. Now I have many favourites.

• Like 1

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

The thing about veggies is that they can taste very different depending on the way they are cooked. When I was a kid, I absolutely hated brussel sprouts. But I think all my mom did was boil them. Now, I realized a few things...fresh is better, although I hardly ever buy fresh...frozen is ok for me. If you boil them for a few minutes, then cut them in half (so they soak up all the delicious butter, or bacon grease, or whatever oil you want to cook them in) use liberal amounts of different spices...some of my favorites are sea salt and pepper, and lemon pepper (sometimes I'll get sassy and throw in some cayenne) and some lemon juice and you can either roast them...or fry them in a pan. You can brown brussel sprouts much like you can brown chicken and it kind of carmelizes them, and makes them really sweet. 

"Life is Forever Tries" - Glennon Melton Doyle

My Current Mantra: These little changes WILL add up. There WILL be a tipping point. I just have to be patient. 

Someone wrote a book on how to sneak veggies into your kids meals. Check it out for ideas. 

i remember seeing an interview with Jerry Seinfelds wife and her cook book that was made for hiding veggies in your food here is the link to it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X

Made this recipe with new years which is nice as you can stuff a lot of vegetables in meatloaf without tasting it. There was someone at the party who doesn't like tomatoes at all. He didn't even taste they were in there in a large quantity.

5B1F5EE7-B11F-4F0A-936C-898DF51B1014_zps 27B807AC-5481-44F9-985A-DE4647CB2694_zps

First picture: Vegetable mash 

Second picture: Ready for the oven

My wife has mastered chopping veggies small enough that I'll eat them. She makes an awesome turkey meatloaf and I have no idea how she puts so many in it and it still tastes good.

It sounds like you like the taste of pretty neutral-tasting veggies.

Try cauliflower, various kinds of squash are pretty mild, maybe bell peppers (since they're mostly water)...

I like to put vegetables in sauce. My favorite to make is tikka masala. Honestly, because I am lazy, I mostly just chuck a bunch of vegetables and make some kind of sauce and eat it. If you made something with a really strong taste, like made a very spicy curry or something (if you like spicy things), or whatever flavor you prefer, it would probably overpower the taste of the vegetables.