Hello Nerd Fitness!

I have never posted on a forum before, so this is all pretty new to me, but here goes.  I grew up in Alaska as one of the fat kids in school.  Started getting overweight at the end of elementary school and only got worse as I got older.  By the end of my freshman year of college, I was 225lbs at 5'10''.  I was determined not to gain the dreaded freshman 15 and succeeded, but for all the work I put into it, did not lose any weight either.  One of my friends and I tried all sorts of homemade diets, one of them lasting a grand total of about two hours!  That summer I had a moment of clarity and decided enough was enough and I did not want to be this way anymore.  I joined Weight Watchers and started tracking my points.  I loved it!  I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed within my points allowance and lost 10lbs my first week on the program!  I had a lot of ups and downs, but finally made it to my goal weight (the maximum BMI before being considered overweight) after two years and kept it off for six weeks, resulting in my "lifetime member" status, meaning I do not have to weigh in every week and as long as I am within 2lbs over my goal weight, I do not have to pay anymore.  I have kept this weight off now for 5.5 years and when I was at my lowest weight, I had lost 65lbs.  

Two years ago, I started the P90X program and finished it just before going on a cruise!  I lost weight and gained a lot of muscle.  I was able to feel confident in my swimming trunks without a shirt on really for the first time in my life.   As soon as I got home, I did the Insanity program then repeated both programs two more times.  At my 10 year high school reunion, where most of these people have not seen me since high school when I was 225lbs, I got a lot of excited responses and some friends didnt even recognize me!  It felt great!  When I got home though, I did not get back on the program and have done small workouts here and there, but they are few and far between.  I tried to start P90X again twice in this time, and failed to make it past the first few days both times. 

A little over a year ago I found an adult beginners gymnastics class offered twice a week and fell in love.  I am getting my body to do things I had only imagined doing, but never actually thought possible for me!  After about a year, I have been able to do back handsprings and move them from the tumble track (long, skinny trampoline) to the floor!  Since stopping working out though, I can tell that I am losing the strength and stamina I had and the workout before class and the actual gymnastics is getting much harder.  The number on the scale is going up, I am losing the muscle mass I had worked so hard to gain.  I am ready to make a change.

I am very excited to get started with the six week challenge coming up and am starting to put it all together!  I feel that the nerdy basis will help me stay motivated to stick to it!  

Wow!  That was a lot more wordy than I had planned on!  Sorry bout that to whoever actually reads through it!!  Good luck everyone!

Love the name ...Bamf! Are you a comic book fan? I started reading last year and haven't looked back since. I only ask because they're bringing Nightcrawler back! Woot!

Seems like you've had lots of successes in your fitness journey (P90X, Insanity, etc), maybe I can learn some things from you.

Good luck with the challenge and learning to navigate the forum, it's all new to me too, so I'm right there with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

Thanks you guys!

I love Nightcrawler and X-Men! I do not read the comics,though; never got into it. I do look up things that are going on and did hear they had killed him off a while ago and are bringing him back!

Thanks for the support! Excited to get started! Good luck!

O iym super happy to be here. I steayed aweay fur so long, you know, but Lulu finally talked me into joining! It's all been just swell! You betcha! Oofda an all dat!